Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

24 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Bryson Washington is another kid who grew up a UT fan and has shown a lot of early enthusiasm

That would be nice. I just don't know much about him other than he went to Mater Dei for a semester, jumped in the rankings, then came back to Houston, and went to the high school he was supposed to go to instead of North Shore, which is admirable I suppose 

8 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I'll be honest, when I first heard of Jake Smith, I didn't think we would land that stud. I assumed he would be USC bound, or even Bama. I still cannot believe he's a longhorn now. A kid this special is going down in longhorn lore. God damn he's amazing. /csb

For about a three month period, he toured pretty much every one of the top 20 programs in the country, and had a commutable offer from all of them. Teams would have made room for him late had he wanted to switch. 

Probably our most impressive recruitmenting win 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Fud said:

For about a three month period, he toured pretty much every one of the top 20 programs in the country, and had a commutable offer from all of them. Teams would have made room for him late had he wanted to switch. 

You're not lying. He's up there with VY, Benson, and Roy in terms of talent alone. I have zero doubt he will be successful at the next level. None. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

13 hours ago, Fud said:

How is he not a 5 * ?

13 hours ago, Fud said:

Satya: “Yeah, but now we’re stuck with his travel costs for 4 years”!

15 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Seems to be a question if QB is the best position for Card or Jackson even thought both are phenomenal athletes and 100% takes.

I hope we can find a true QB take for the class.  

Card is developing well as a QB. I would like to find a QB2 as well, but it's too early to dismiss out of hand his ability to play the position.

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Card is developing well as a QB. I would like to find a QB2 as well, but it's too early to dismiss out of hand his ability to play the position.

I'm not doing that,  and if you watched the D'ville Allen game,  Jackson has an arm also.  

I would just like to have a true QB come in also.

10 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

I'm not doing that,  and if you watched the D'ville Allen game,  Jackson has an arm also.  

I would just like to have a true QB come in also.

Henderson is a likely QB2. He might lift his way out of it and turn into Mike Williams (minus the homesickness) this year, though.

7 minutes ago, satyanash said:

image.png

Do we know if Dad has BizSchool penis envy which led to plastic surgery while working for one of our biggest boosters and wants to show off his Stanford dad t-shirt or is his mom bitter that her intellect was never appreciated in meth filled NM and wants to get back at her Longhorn husband for years of donkey punching?

Edited by Goodman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Goodman said:

Do we know if Dad has BizSchool penis envy which led to plastic surgery while working for one of our biggest boosters and wants to show off his Stanford dad t-shirt or is his mom bitter that her intellect was never appreciated in meth filled NM and wants to get back at her Longhorn husband for years of donkey punching?

No idea, but you can bet the Little's and momma Bragg will be in the Majors family ears for the next year.

36 minutes ago, Goodman said:

That's so mean. And correct. (What self-respecting man gets plastic surgery if he wasn't in some kind of accident???)

14 minutes ago, texifornia said:

speak of the devil

Going to be funny in a couple of years when Wright and Demas realize they aren't being featured in that offense.  Hope this guy can see what big WR's do in this offense. 

Also curious to see if this guy gives us legit interest.

https://247sports.com/Player/Johnny-Wilson-46036733/

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

OB Update on top 2020 kids and where UT stands (Ketchum - don't shoot me):

I thought it would be a good time to take a snapshot look at where things stand with many of the top 2020 kids in the Lone Star State. Here's a quick breakdown of the top 20 prospects in the current Rivals Texas rankings.

1. Zachary Evans (RB - North Shore)

Has Texas offered: Of course.

Where UT Stands: Twelve months ago, Texas was the standout leader for Evans, but the battle for his signature has reached new competition levels in the last few months, with Texas A&M surging, while the likes of Oklahoma, LSU, Georgia and Alabama are fighting for positioning as well. It's flat out hand to hand combat inside of a no holds barred kind of match.

Quotable (7/16/18 to Rivals): “The progression from the first day has been better because then, it was just about this is what you could be or we could win this, or do that. Then as we started talking and progressing, started getting into formations, learning who free-hitters are, how to read a defense, then we started talking about my outside life.

“That’s when (Texas) jumped up big on my list – most colleges talk about oh, we can talk about this… but they don’t stay on it. So getting that vibe with the coach, getting to know them, that was big.”

“I’m hoping they can get a little more help on the O-line,” he said. “I don’t know how I feel about not running behind some of the people that aren’t going to be there by the time that I would get there - I feel like that about every school – but I’m keeping an eye on how good the offensive line gets stacking up this year.”

(February 2018): “Texas has definitely separated itself.

“My opinion of them is that they’re a great program,” Evans said last November. “They’re definitely on my mind and closer to home too - I don’t mind going far out, but that’s another thing. I’m building a bond with the running backs coach [Stan Drayton], I started talking with him at TSU [Texas Southern's summer satellite camp].”

2. Demond Demus (WR- Houston North Forest)

Has Texas offered:
 Yes (Committed to Texas A&M)

Where UT Stands: Demas committed to A&M back in September after attending the Clemson game, but there's a feeling that he's more wide open than committed after taking several unofficial visits to Texas for games this season. In addition, Demas took a visit to Ohio State earlier this fall and there are expectations that he will explore all of his options.

Quotable:

3. Jase McClellan (RB - Aledo)

Has Texas offered:
 Yes

Where UT Stands: McClellan committed to Oklahoma back in the summer of 2017. While he remains locked in, he does still talk to Texas and visited for the spring game. In a deep year of in-state RBs, he’s one worth watching.

4. RJ Mickens (CB - Southlake Carroll)

Has Texas offered: No.

Where UT Stands: It's hard to believe that the son of A&M great Ray Mickens could ever sign with anyone other than Texas A&M, but while he has been looking around, the Longhorns are not in the mix. A&M is the clear betting favorite, but Mickens and his father have visited Clemson three times. Still, it's the son of Ray Mickens.

Quotable (Via Rivals on 11/5/18): “Clemson is really high for me. It’s just the people there. The coaches and the way things are done there is really elite. It’s just a nice place.”

5. Bryson Washington (DB - C.E. King)

Has Texas offered: Yes

Where UT Stands: 
It's probably safe to say the Longhorns are a betting favorite, but Washington has maintained that he's still very much open and his interest in Texas A&M has climbed in the last few months. This could be a critical H-town battle between the Longhorns and Aggies.

Quotable (Via Rivals on 10/17/18): "(Texas is) great school. I love the staff and the players and they have a great fan base. I love what they’re going to do in the 2020 class. I think it’s going to be a good year overall for the program."

"(Texas is) serious about playing great athletes. They want the best of the best to play and they mean business. If you can show out and do well in practice then you’ll get a chance to play and that's what every player wants in a program."

"I think Coach Fisher has done a great job turning things around, they’re spreading the defensive backs around. The offense is doing well, the running backs especially. I think it’s a better offense and I like what I've seen from the defense, too."

7. Courtland Ford (OL - Cedar Hill)

Has Texas offered: 
No. (Committed to LSU)

Where UT Stands: Ford committed to LSU in November and never seriously seemed to consider Texas, even the slightest. If he opens up his recruitment, it would likely be someone like Alabama causing him to re-think things.

8. Branard Wright (DL - Dallas Carter)

Has Texas offered: No.

Where UT Stands: Wright isn't the most recruiting-focused prospect in the state, so there's some thought that his recruitment is still in an infancy stage, but A&M is probably the betting favorite, with Oklahoma in a close trailing position. Texas isn't really involved at all at this stage.

Quotable: (Via Rivals on 9/10/18) “(Oklahoma) was a great experience out there,” he said. “Coach (Calvin) Thibodeaux was real friendly with me. He was just in a great spirit out there and he really showed me a good time … They’ve been on me pretty hard, I’m just waiting to hear back from Coach Thibodeaux about which game they want me to come back.”

“I was out (at A&M) for a little visit and I liked it, Coach Fisher showed me a good time,” he said. “I feel like the defensive line coach, Coach E [Elijah Robinson] is going to keep hollering at me and talking to me.”

Troy Omeire (WR - Houston Austin)

Has Texas offered: Yes

Where UT Stands: Recently listed a top 10 that includes the Longhorns, but after visiting both schools several times in 2018, this looks like a Texas/A&M battle. Flip a coin.

Quotable (Via Rivals on 4/13/18) “It’s probably going to come down to the in-state teams,” he said. “I want to stay close to my mom, so I am going to want and stay closer to home.”

10. Dwight McGlothern (DB - Cedar Hill Trinity Christian)

Has Texas offered: Yes

Where UT Stands: Texas and Texas A&M (probably the lead favorite) are probably the two early betting favorites after visiting both schools several times this year, but he's maintaining an open position and was as recently as two weeks ago gushing about his feelings for Florida. He claims his mind is made up and he’ll be deciding in January. Highly unlikely that it’ll be Texas at this point.

Quotable (Rivals on 12/7) “I love Florida. They’re like ‘DBU’ to me. Defensive backs coaches are great. Coach Mullen, he’s a great coach. He knows the game and he knows how to win. He just knows how to keep Florida atop, get back to the natty and win.”

“Florida is very high,” McGlothern said. “I text them on a daily basis. They always keep in contact with me and hit me up. Coach Mullen, he’s always texting me when I don’t even expect it. I wouldn’t open a message for one day, he’ll come back and text me, ‘hey, what’s up.’”

11. Seth McGowan (RB - Mesquite Poteet)

Has Texas offered: 
Yes

Where UT Stands: Although he hasn't narrowed down his list of schools yet, it's probably safe to say that Texas, Texas A&M and LSU are the three schools that everyone will need to defeat.

Quotable (Via OB on 11/1/18) “I would say what stands out (about Texas) is just the culture they’ve built around there. Just the passion and intensity that goes into every detail of the program,” McGowan said. “Malik (Jefferson) has helped me a lot, trying to get familiar with me. He’s aiding me with that process, the things he tells me, how they’re building the program.

"(Academics) are a prominent factor in my decision, I think so far as setting me up for success after my football career is said and done. I don’t want to just be famous as a football player,” McGowan said. “I want to be able to expand my resources, expand my wisdom to the youth of the community, provide wisdom. Be more of a public figure than just a sports guy. I’m just making sure what I want to major in, the things I want to pursue, making sure it correlates with my schedule at the school I would be attending.”

(Via Rivals on 7/2/18): "I was up here mostly with the guys that were committed, have offers and things like that,” he said. “Coach (Jimbo) Fisher coming in, getting familiar with him and everything, he really impressed me. I didn’t know much about Coach Fisher or any of the coaches that came in from 
Florida State, but they really blew me away with the facility and the culture that they’re building there at Texas A&M.”

“The (LSU) camp was outstanding. It was really phenomenal,” he said. “The atmosphere was really exuberant – everything was 
live – we had on helmets, were going through the drills fast, everything was competition-oriented. I’ve seen plenty of videos of Coach (Tommie) Robinsonon YouTube and things like that, but to really receive his guidance and be coached under him is really a blessing.”

12. Drew Sanders (Ath - Denton Ryan)

Has Texas offered: 
No (Oklahoma commit)

Where UT Stands: Texas hasn't made much of a move towards Sanders, who committed to Oklahoma 13 months ago.

13. Ja'quinden Jackson (Ath - Duncanvile)

Has Texas offered: Yes.

Where UT Stands: Has been to Texas numerous times in 2018 and the Longhorns should be considered a heavy betting favorite at this stage of his recruitment.

14. Lorando Johnson (S - Lancaster)

Has Texas offered: 
No

Where UT Stands: The Longhorns aren't really heavily involved in his recruitment at this point, but I expect his stock to soar in the coming months. In the meantime, it was once thought that TCU was his favorite, but LSU might be the team with the current pole position. I think this one is just starting to heat up.

15. Collin Sullivan (WR - Round Rock)

Has Texas offered: No.

Where UT Stands: 
His leaderboard would probably change considerably if the Longhorns extend an offer, but most of his public comments early on have focused on teams in the Midwest. An offer from Notre Dame would be a game-changer as well, as he's visited South Bend a couple of times this year.

16. Darius Snow (DB - Lewisville Hebron)

Has Texas offered:
 Yes

Where UT Stands: The son of former Michigan State and NBA point guard Eric Snow, and nephew of Michigan State linebacker Percy Snow, the younger Snow has visited Texas numerous times in 2018 and the Longhorns are the clear regional leader because he raves about Texas every time he's given the chance. A possible Michigan State/Texas battle might loom and don't discount Texas against his dad's old school.

17. Logan Parr (OL - Helotes O'Connor)

Has Texas offered: Yes (Committed)

Where UT Stands: 
In the cupboard, Parr is safe and sound as a Texas commit. One of the most important prospects in the 2019 class for the Longhorns.

18. Hudson Card (QB - Lake Travis)

Has Texas offered: Yes (Committed)

Where UT Stands: 
The state's top quarterback prospect is a firm Longhorn commitment.

19. Prince Dorbah (DE - Highland Park)

Has Texas offered: Yes.

Where UT Stands: This could shape up as a Texas/OU battle. Dorbah really, really likes the Longhorns and has made multiple visits to Austin in 2018.

Quotable (Via Rivals on 6/27/18): “I think (Texas is) a good place to be,” he said. “Coaches are awesome; the staff, the players – I got to talk to a couple of them – I was out for a camp and had fun with that and took a little unofficial visit. That was a fun time.”

“I have been getting along well with coach (Oscar) Giles, the defensive line coach,” he said. “He was going to offer me, and as soon as he did, there was just an instant connection and he’s just a great person to talk to. I try and talk to him every week, too.”

20. Akinola Ogunbiyi (OL - SL Kempner)

Has Texas offered: Yes. (Committed to Texas A&M

Where UT Stands: 
He's committed to the Aggies and has maintained a solid commitment status, but the Longhorns haven't given up and they'll likely get him on campus again at some point.