Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Reading through various HS football threads, it seems like Jackson might play QB in college, although he'd be a good LB prospect. Seems like we'll go out of state again, except for maybe Snow, who we'll have to recruit as a safety

Broughton seems to like us, but it seems to be a coinflip type of deal with A&M this early

Don't know enough about Washington. Is he someone we'll push for? 

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

@Fud I know it's been talked about before, but is Sylvester's issues more along the lines of Tamauzia Brown or something else.  He's exactly what we look for in DL recruits and this one seems a bit odd.

I don't think he has character issues that are well known. I think it's more along the lines of the staff really liking Collins, Broughton, Dorbah, and Princely. Probably the same reason we haven't offered Quinten Johnston yet, due to liking Demas, Omeire, etc more. Or maybe Giles just lost his number in his rolodex. 

Eric Nahlin: Are we there yet? 2020 recruiting will be a cycle to remember

After overestimating Tom Herman's immediate recruiting impact on the class of 2017 upon his arrival to Texas, I hurriedly re-calibrated my expectations and wrote the finish wouldn't be quite as smooth as I originally thought. That bore out, but the staff's penchant for evaluation and pragmatic, 'save the ship' approach, had a positive long-term effect on the roster. Saving those scholarships enabled the staff to sign the #3 class in the nation in the following cycle.

The 2018 class was loaded in ways that Texas could take advantage of and I predicted Herman would kill it. It wasn't a popular opinion in January of 2017, at least on Twitter, but Herman and his staff proved it right. To the careful observer it was easy to see how favorable conditions were for recruiting elite prospects to Austin. The new car smell effect is real. Take it from someone who bought a new truck just days after a good friend did.

Those favorable conditions shifted pretty quickly, even before that cycle was over, and the staff altered its approach for 2019 accordingly. Rather than relying on in-state resources, the staff got even more aggressive going out-of-state. It's paid off in ways that will help the program win a lot of games, beginning next year. But 2019 was always going to be more difficult than its predecessor. After what will prove to be a scrappy finish to this class, what does 2020 hold? Despite OU making yet another playoff run and Lincoln Riley recruiting at a high level, and Jimbo Fisher's first year showing promise for the future, the 2020 recruiting class will finish comfortably in the top-five, especially whenmeasured by star rating.

A lot of factors go into building a class and no two cycles are the same, even when following the same template year over year. This year UT's template won't change so much as the staff will adapt it to this class, a class with not only better elite talent, much deeper as well. The staff wants tier-one prospects from Texas, then tier-one prospects from out-of-state. As luck would have it, the 2020 class has much more tier-one talent in it than 2019 at pretty much every position across the board. That talent advantage extends beyond the football field, where many players in 2019 struggled. The collective mental evaluation for 2020 is much better. Those factors alone will ensure Texas has an easier road to an elite class, but there are other factors.

Earlier Start With a Talented Class

This is one advantage A&M has had extending to the Sumlin era. It only stopped working because he stagnated, but otherwise he was able to get a good jump on the competition, and many kids had A&M in the lead early on. Sometimes it worked in their favor, other times it didn't, but overall it paid off. Early in 2019, aided by some negative press and perception, schools were able to get the jump on Texas and control the in-state message. The staff started the cycle playing from behind, a stark contrast from 2018....and 2020. At this point last year, Garrett Wilson had just received his offer. In this cycle, UT's early tier-one targets are known across the board, save maybe linebacker and tight end. To underline that point:

QB: Hudson Card (committed)

RB: Zach Evans, Ty Jordan, Kendall Milton (CA), Seth McGowan: The state is loaded at the position.

WR: Demond Demas, Troy Omeire, Mookie Cooper (MO): There are many more guys who would fit in the class. It's a typically strong year at the position.

TE: Similar to last cycle, I'm sure some tight ends will emerge as offer worthy during the spring. The staff is already looking out-of-state, as they should.

OL: Logan Parr (committed), Chad Lindberg, Jaylen Garth, Damieon George, Jake Majors: There are many more for the staff to evaluate. Deep class and the timing is perfect to load up.

DL: Vernon Broughton, Alfred Collins, Prince Dorbah, Princely Umanmielen: The only four defensive end offers out so far are all in-state. That tells you what the staff thinks. This is an incredible development. UT has to hit on the lines for this to be a successful class.

LB: Justin Flowe (CA), Sav'ell Smalls (WA): These are out-of-state elites that will be tough pulls, but there are some good options in-state, particularly Brennon Scott, Darius Snow, and Ja'Quinden Jackson. The last two are projections that don't require much imagination.

DB: Jaylon Jones, Chris Thompson, Bryson Washington, Kelee Ringo, Dwight McGlothern, Darius Snow (if he sticks at safety): Texas feels real good with where it sits in 2020 defensive back recruiting. Another corner or two will emerge. I like Avery Helm.

ATH: Kelvontay Dixon, Michael Henderson: Dixon's probably a receiver, though corner is intriguing givenpotential class need. Henderson needs to be recruited as a quarterback but he's such a freakish defensive specimen I hope he isn't too rigid to offense.

Relationships between the staff and most of these players ranges from solid, to good, to great, but the point is these prospects aren't just on the radar. Most have visited and understand they're priorities. Last cycle Texas was using every available resource to finish the 2018 class deep into the cycle. Check out how much we discuss 2020 next month as the coaches take to the road once again. 2019 will be mostly put to bed and the staff will get a jump on spring recruiting.

Texas Perception

The new car smell is perception based. We know the story. A program in need of a rebuild hires the 'perfect man' for the job. The new hire is always the perfect man (unless you're a K-State fan), at least in year-one. Recruits eat up the excitement. That first class is going to be THE class to restore School X to prominence! Etc. Tennessee is on its fourth iteration of this in this decade alone. Herman lost a decent measure of that positive perception following his first year but after competing for the Big 12 Championship behind a productive offense and exciting quarterback, positive perception has been restored. It's too late to really effect the 2019 finish, which is something that's been mentioned here and by Herman, but it will offer a bounce in 2020.

By the time the actual 2019 season begins, I suspect much of UT's class will already be written, but there will be some who hold out to see if Texas is truly lining up for a playoff run in 2020. This new positive perception of Texas isn't something that was manufactured on Twitter. It's something palpable any recruit who visited for a game picked up on. For once, stadium atmosphere is a major plus for the program when it comes to recruiting.

Youth movements are always exciting, and we'll see that next year as Texas looks to replace numerous starters. That's a double edge sword, but the very talented class of 2018 will look to step up to the plate. 2020 recruits will bewatching with earnest. Talented juniors and seniors are great to have, but it's the freshman and sophomores who the class of 2020 will be playing the most with. Many recruits will see it as a great opportunity to play on the same team as Caden Sterns, BJ Foster, DeMarvion Overshown, Anthony Cook, De'Gabriel Floyd, Jordan Whittington, Jake Smith, et al.

CLOSING

These are the most favorable circumstances Tom Herman will have found in recruiting, thanks in large part to his hard work rebuilding the program. Good, consistent recruiting is nearly guaranteed as long as the program stays on the course Herman has set. There will be a bad beat or two, there is in every cycle for every school, but the good will far outweigh the bad and once this class is signed Texas will be positioned to reload, rather than rebuild, and win big for the foreseeable future. It's already written.

46 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

McGlothern will be this class's version of Carter and flip to Bama' when Saban pushes for him.

I think this is pretty spot on.  I think he commits to aggy because A&M got to him and his trainers early, but after watching their DB's suck again next year he flips to somewhere else; LSU, Texas or Alabama.

1 minute ago, Enchubben said:

I think this is pretty spot on.  I think he commits to aggy because A&M got to him and his trainers early, but after watching their DB's suck again next year he flips to somewhere else; LSU, Texas or Alabama.

Yep, and get ready for the aggy boasting of having two 5* commits in-state and how Jimbo is owning Herman in-state despite both of them will continue to visit all over the place.

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

Have you not seen how many guys are still hoping for Wilson and Leal in 2019? All we need is a little hope.

Yes, I have. Shit, one poster speculated that Wilson may be the "secret recruit" on campus today, even though he's playing in a game right now. That would be impressive.