Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

He's not as good as his rating.

James Sylvester not being offered, on the other hand, is a little baffling.

just offer. what's the harm? i know the harm in not offering, a butthurt kid down the line. 6'4 DT do not grow on trees in this state anymore. just offer him based on his frame and monitor him for the next year. 

1 hour ago, Bruh Man said:

just offer. what's the harm? i know the harm in not offering, a butthurt kid down the line. 6'4 DT do not grow on trees in this state anymore. just offer him based on his frame and monitor him for the next year. 

I get where you're coming from, but Herman has been pretty emphatic that carpet bombing in-state "offers" is a great way to lose the high school coaches' trust.

13 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

He's this class's Lloyd Murray. He's just not very good. I hope LSU or A&M takes him. 

13 hours ago, Machinator said:

James Sylvester not being offered, on the other hand, is a little baffling.

Alec Bryant hasn't been offered either, I don't think. I think it's a sign that the staff feels good about where they sit with Broughton, Collins, Dorbah, and Princely 

42 minutes ago, Fud said:

Alec Bryant hasn't been offered either, I don't think. I think it's a sign that the staff feels good about where they sit with Broughton, Collins, Dorbah, and Princely 

We need to get those 4 if we want to have DL depth/production on Bama'/Clemson level.  All 4 will end up 4*'s ( 3 already are ).

1 hour ago, Fud said:

This staff has shown to be overconfident and to wiff on targets while not pursuing plan B.  Herman really needs to hire another DL coach to help Giles.  We need some bad motherfuckers on the Dline

• Like 3

The problem with our Dline recruiting is the style we play. Our linemen slant or stunt on every play. That frees up the LBs to make plays. Dline recruits dont like that. That was one of the reasons we missed on Max Wright. And probably a bunch of others. 

I played that style in college. Took me one year and switched to Oline. Its not a fun technique. Thats why we are banking on developmental Dline guys. Because till we start winning regularly, elite Dline are going to avoid us cus they dont want to play that style of D. 

We now have 2 conference Dline of the years and we still arent pulling elite talent. Thats the reason. Not Giles lack of recruiting chops.  Well not totally. 

16 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

The problem with our Dline recruiting is the style we play. Our linemen slant or stunt on every play. That frees up the LBs to make plays. Dline recruits dont like that. That was one of the reasons we missed on Max Wright. And probably a bunch of others. 

I played that style in college. Took me one year and switched to Oline. Its not a fun technique. Thats why we are banking on developmental Dline guys. Because till we start winning regularly, elite Dline are going to avoid us cus they dont want to play that style of D. 

We now have 2 conference Dline of the years and we still arent pulling elite talent. Thats the reason. Not Giles lack of recruiting chops.  Well not totally. 

I assume our scheme is because of the talent we have at Dline. Get some elite DL and I'm guessing they won't be slanting or stunting on every play

IT

2020 NOISE

This class is going to have everything from drama-free, lay-up recruitments and those that are curious and better left for happy hour discussions.

We caught up with a few of the big targets recently to get the latest. It's still a bit early to get full spring visit itinerary but you can bet these three targets will make their way to campus in the coming months. In fact, one just visited recently.

OL Jake Majors, Prosper: He's the Branson Bragg of the class, right down to being under-appreciated by the networks. Apparently there are 45 better players in the state for the class. Alrighty, then.

Majors was just on campus with Longhorn commit, Logan Parr. Parr has been putting work recruiting Majors and Chad Lindberg. "Yeah we are all getting to know each other good! Man I loved it. Hanging out with LP and Coach Hand for the day was a good way to spend a Saturday. It felt like home once I arrived in Austin."

Majors, along with Lindberg, fits the Stanford profile. I asked him what other schools are standing out besides UT, and if he had any spring visit plans. "Washington, Stanford, Oklahoma and Illinois stand out. Too early right now hope to figure it out soon."

If you're Texas, you want to be battling over kids who fit at Washington and Stanford. Of course, you have to win those recruitments. I like UT's positioning here, and it's evident the staff and Logan Parr are working to build a consensus over what could be the bedrock of not just a great o-line haul, but also class.

DB Jaylon Jones, Cibolo Steele: I caught up with the talented defender's father, Virgil. Jones' baseline traits are as good as any defensive back's in the class. Tons of length, plenty of twitch, and some dog are part of the package. He better have some dog, his dad was born in East Texas, his mother in Houston, and he in Florida. If it's this late in a player's career and I don't know what position he'll play it's either really good or really bad. This is the former as Jones currently projects anywhere from corner to Joker. What?

"We don’t have anything set as of yet other than Jaylon has signed on to attend the Texas Top 100 in Houston as well as the UA camp series. I’m sure he will do The Opening and play on a National 7v7 team. School-wise nothing has been set yet at this point."

Like we said, it's a bit early. Expect Texas to get a visit from Jones in February. Jason Washington has done an excellent job of building relationships and setting the foundation for a successful outcome.

DB Chris Thompson, Duncanville: If you watched the State Championship game you witnessed a very impressive defense featuring the future defensive back in a linebacker role. That's a great way to get a borderline elite talent involved in the game. Thompson can clearly play downfield, but he also has loose hips. He profiles to either safety position at Texas.

His father Chris, after I told him I was sorry about the outcome of the game (@Scipio Tex texted me it was the first time he felt terrible a team had to lose since the Miracle on Ice). "Not a problem. I felt like we gave away a state title but it’s over. All is well, we haven’t planned the summer yet. Chris attends the Future 50 in Orlando this week. Afterwards, we will sit down and figure out our Spring plans."

If you think Texas has a good 'in' because Ra'Shaad Samples is on staff and his father Reginald is Duncanville's head coach, you would be correct. However, as long as I've covered Samples' players he's never once given me an indication he steers his guys. That's commendable given his sway over kids.

Intel on both Thompson and his ultra-talented teammate, JaQuinden Jackson, have us predicting Texas for both.

22 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

We slant a fair bit. But we rarely stunt.

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

We slant a fair bit. But we rarely stunt.

To be fair, with all of the moving around by LBs and safeties, if you're watching the ball on any given play, peripheral vision gives you the impression of stunting. You have to actually be watching the DL to realize that's not what's happening.

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Stanford looks horrible and the OL looks like hot garbage.  I'm not even sure if Walker Little is on the field??  Time to end this Stanford BS starting with Majors and Lindberg.

Bloomgren was legit and it was a no contest vs. what Herman initially hired. The last 2 years has been a shit show for that OL. Hand is far superior as a teacher.

3 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Hope Herman gets several years with him before he needs to see game action. Keep the athleticism and polish up the mechanics. 

That should be the goal for every qb we take from now on. We should never have to count on a True FR QB or OL again, that is the trend I am most excited about with Herman.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Hope Herman gets several years with him before he needs to see game action. Keep the athleticism and polish up the mechanics. 

Maybe in a imaginary college football world where every freshman wants to redshirt.  Now if they don't play right away they are a threat to transfer. 

3 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

SIAP:  Hudson Card's JR. HUDL is out.  The kid is a stud and a half.  Still a little skinny.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2B1wjA

You would never in a million years guess from looking at these highlights that it was his first full year as a QB. There are obviously some things he needs to clean up, but what impresses me the most is how accurate he is on the run.

From an Auburn mod: "Just talked to safety Chris Thompson Jr. of Duncanville (Texas) ... Says he's open. Says he has no leaders. But he has visited Texas and TAMU more than anyone and you get the feeling it'll be hard to pull him away from those two. That said, he wants to visit LSU, TCU, Oklahoma and Stanford in the next few months. Nothing is set up yet."