Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Just now, Fud said:

Also, not to start the Moro debate about whether you want younger, older, or normal aged prospects, but Dorbah is a year old for his grade 

After Dorbah and Moro do the fusion dance, though, we will have a powerful, super defensive lineman who is actually age-appropriate.

1517972082225.gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Give me the guys with a year on everybody else. We're not the NFL. I don't give a fuck about the NFL. If I can have a 24 year old going up against 18 year olds, I'll take it. Jordan Shipley and Quan Cosby say "hi". I'll take as many older guys as the system can produce. Some of you fucking dorks think we're building a Madden roster.  

You should send some Mormon missionaries to Dorbah 

11 minutes ago, Fud said:

Newton doesn't have that issue anymore. I haven't heard anything to say that Sylvester or Barlow are bad kids. Tam Brown is another story. 

Regarding Sylvester, I think Giles (or maybe the staff) just likes others like Broughton, Collins, Princely, and Dorbah more

9 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

As we've learned in the 2019 cycle, there's no reason to keep backup plans warm, when we have four people we like more than them.

6 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Cool.  So only three top options.  What could go wrong?

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

Also, the lack of Alec Bryant interest is interesting. I get not pursuing Branard Wright, his hudl is ugly.

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Looks like we've offered 6 DE's thus far.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Season/2020-Football/Offers/

I don't understand what you guys expect. You act like there's all of the time in the day for Coach Oscar Giles to put into recruiting. He's clearly busting ass with the extension of 6 offers over the past year to the 2020 guys. What the fuck else do you want? He'll get to offering some more guys once he's able to shrug off the burnout and fatigue he's incurred from expending so much effort in the first place. 

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Give me the guys with a year on everybody else. We're not the NFL. I don't give a fuck about the NFL. If I can have a 24 year old going up against 18 year olds, I'll take it. Jordan Shipley and Quan Cosby say "hi". I'll take as many older guys as the system can produce. Some of you fucking dorks think we're building a Madden roster. 

This is true in that we want guys who are mature (physically and otherwise), especially when they take the field. I think the valid argument contra is that, as seen with the older and well-coached system QBs, projecting how valuable a HS junior will be in 3 years as a SO here means having an eye out for how maxed out they are, whether physiologically or otherwise.

Just now, closetojumping said:

This is a great point.  Many people were touting that Georgia line as the best ever.  They are full of freshman and sophomores.  Our senior DL abused them.  Going up against guys that have had 2-3 years of extra body maturation and development puts you at a disadvantage.

5 minutes ago, victory88 said:

This is a great point.  Many people were touting that Georgia line as the best ever.  They are full of freshman and sophomores.  Our senior DL abused them.  Going up against guys that have had 2-3 years of extra body maturation and development puts you at a disadvantage.

This isn't a great argument 

10 minutes ago, Fud said:

This isn't a great argument 

Just curious, Are you saying that a 280 lb DL 22 year old won’t have a strength advantage going up against a 19 year old 6’6 320 OL that is 19 vs 22?  

There’s a reason BYU is competitive against teams with a far superior talent advantage.

Edited by victory88

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Neither is a dismissive one sentence response. I'm all for hearing your actual counter point and having the discussion.

The counterpoint should be rhetorical, because his single anecdotal datapoint is absurd. Georgia beat up a ton of tough defensive lines throughout the season. One game at the very end during bowl season doesn't prove that their young line struggled because of their youth. And that's ignoring his hyperbole.

Additionally, we had some young DL flash and push them back. Was that due to their experience and maturation? 

5 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Just curious, Are you saying that a 280 lb DL 22 year old won’t have a strength advantage going up against a 19 year old 6’6 320 OL that is 19 vs 22?  

There’s a reason BYU is competitive against teams with a far superior talent advantage.

I'm saying that Georgia was strong all season, and one game at the end doesn't prove anything, especially when there's considerably more data that shows that they were just fine with their youth for the rest of the season 

1 minute ago, Fud said:

I'm saying that Georgia was strong all season, and one game at the end doesn't prove anything, especially when there's considerably more data that shows that they were just fine with their youth for the rest of the season 

Not too mention that Texas was healthy for the 1st time since Maryland, and could use a larger rotation of players as they had already planned out the RS's.

21 minutes ago, Fud said:

They lost the 3 games against the 3 best teams.  LSU and Texas both have upper class men DL.  So does bama.  Their lines were dominated in two of those games and bama had plenty of success too.  I think that Texas game may be a little different if their young OL has another two years of a strength program.  Just my opinion.   

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

It's definitely better in general to be older in college football, but Fud is correct that our freshman and sophomore DL kicked their ass, too.

My general point was that our single game wasn't enough to prove anything 

I prefer to have older players, in a vacuum 

1 hour ago, Fud said:

The counterpoint should be rhetorical, because his single anecdotal datapoint is absurd. Georgia beat up a ton of tough defensive lines throughout the season. One game at the very end during bowl season doesn't prove that their young line struggled because of their youth. And that's ignoring his hyperbole.

Additionally, we had some young DL flash and push them back. Was that due to their experience and maturation? 

Fair, but I was mostly referring to the discussion around age and CFB players in general. I know we beat this to death last year, but it's been a while and it's come up, so it's good to know who stands where. My view has never wavered in that, ceteris paribus, give me the older guys, personally. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Fair, but I was mostly referring to the discussion around age and CFB players in general. I know we beat this to death last year, but it's been a while and it's come up, so it's good to know who stands where. My view has never wavered in that, ceteris paribus, give me the older guys, personally. 

I can give a more in depth answer later, but for me, it's case by case depending on the recruit. Is the recruit showing well his senior year because he's a year older, but looks maxed out? Is he Dorbah and already destroying everyone as a junior when he's the same age as everyone? Is he Moro, where he's unblockable his senior year while being about two years younger than everyone else? Will Moro leave after three years before he's even developed like the DT the Texans drafted from Louisville back in the day? Do you need a more physically advanced 19 year old QB because your starter is Ehlinger and his backup might transfer when he loses the job? 

• Like 1

Since it's being discussed in the 2019 thread thought I'd bring it here.  If this really is going to be a class in the teens I still think we should take 4-5 OL and DL each.  Since we took 4 LB's for 2019 maybe cherry pick 1 or 2 for this one?  Does this class need a TE?  Maybe just 2-3 WR's.  Definately need 2 RB's.  Probably 4 DB's.

I still hope this can at least be low 20's, we have all the momentum to land big time talent.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

18 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Since it's being discussed in the 2019 thread thought I'd bring it here.  If this really is going to be a class in the teens I still think we should take 4-5 OL and DL each.  Since we took 4 LB's for 2019 maybe cherry pick 1 or 2 for this one?  Does this class need a TE?  Maybe just 2-3 WR's.  Definately need 2 RB's.  Probably 4 DB's.

I still hope this can at least be low 20's, we have all the momentum to land big time talent.

If we're passing on the likes of Major, then I see the OL class capped at 4. Parr, Lindberg, Garth, and a late bloomer tackle type. With the 2021 class also loaded at OL, maybe we even stop at the first 3.

Best case DL class is probably Dorbah, Collins, Broughton, and either Umanmielen or a late bloomer. Knowing our track record we probably go 2/3 on those first three.

Card looks like he'll be QB1, with no QB2 unless we see both 2018 QBs leave.

Two RBs for sure.

Two LBs. Jackson could fit in here; he is a take regardless. Perhaps we skimp and take 1 to make room for a receiver, DB, or TE.

DB class is loaded in state (particularly safety), I don't see how we take any fewer than 4. Ringo, Jones, Thompson, then another safety.

Wide receiver is going to be real interesting. Assuming Dixon and Cooper are both takes, we probably have room for two more outside guys after that. No idea who the priorities are there. I'm not confident that the Demas mess will turn out in our favor, and beyond that the only clear target is Omeire.

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

If we're passing on the likes of Major, then I see the OL class capped at 4. Parr, Lindberg, Garth, and a late bloomer tackle type. With the 2021 class also loaded at OL, maybe we even stop at the first 3.

Best case DL class is probably Dorbah, Collins, Broughton, and either Umanmielen or a late bloomer. Knowing our track record we probably go 2/3 on those first three.

Two RBs for sure.

Two LBs. Jackson could fit in here; he is a take regardless. Perhaps we skimp and take 1 to make room for a receiver, DB, or TE.

DB class is loaded in state (particularly safety), I don't see how we take any fewer than 4. Ringo, Jones, Thompson, then another safety.

Wide receiver is going to be real interesting. Assuming Dixon and Cooper are both takes, we probably have room for two more outside guys after that. No idea who the priorities are there. I'm not confident that the Demas mess will turn out in our favor, and beyond that the only clear target is Omeire.

OLs, if they really take 15, look like Parr, Lindberg, and George. I don't know where George is ranked/will be ranked, but he's high up on the board and there's legitimacy to he and Evans wanting to play together. More than that, I presume Garth is first up. 

I'm still not convinced that 15/16 is legit, even if the source is. I've played with numbers more this afternoon and bullshitted elsewhere and it isn't difficult to see the 2020 class getting easily into the low 20's. 

Don't forget about Snow.

Regarding Demas and others like him, the appetite for dealing with a bunch of bullshit when there are players of comparable talent without all of the red flags is very low. Demas is a big talent, but is he worth the fucking circus when there are going to be a couple of other circuses that they really want to win? Doubtful. Specifically, if Shepherd goes to ATM, write Demas off at that moment and never sweat his recruitment in your mind again. If Shepherd signs with Texas, keep hope alive, I guess. 

Speaking of circuses, one thing to remember about Evans is that, however crazy the attention is that he receives, his brother is running the show. There's not some trainer or set of hangers on that will be working to get a piece of the pie. They might try to, but the dude appears to be enough for his brother's purposes. Does that mean this will all be super clean and such? Uh, right, sure, probably.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Two RBs for sure.

From your list on the 2019 roster thread on the football board, we have 85 current (2018 non SR. + 2019 signees) players for 2019. Starting with Shepherd if he sticks we have to lose body for body to sign any additional players for the 2019 class. 

Of the 85 we currently have on scholarship for 2019 there are 14 seniors, add in 6 pretty obvious spots from 4 year players that could open (Buechele, Porter, Urquidez, Townsend, Boyd, Donovan Duvernay) + 1 of Rising/Thompson +1 possible health (Hudson) that would give us 22 open spots for rest of 2019 + 2020.

If we really do go all the way up to 27 in 2019 and all of the above attrition happens that would start us at 17 for 2020 plus whoever leaves between 2020 for playing time, grades, legal troubles etc  

42 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Speaking of circuses, one thing to remember about Evans is that, however crazy the attention is that he receives, his brother is running the show. There's not some trainer or set of hangers on that will be working to get a piece of the pie. They might try to, but the dude appears to be enough for his brother's purposes. Does that mean this will all be super clean and such? Uh, right, sure, probably.

His brother seems all burnt orange on twitter