Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

He does.  FWK has been tweeting out training vids of the two of them for the last week.

Dunn currently shows one D1 offer (Temple).

https://247sports.com/Player/Hunter-Dunn-46043170/

Didn't he also try to transfer to the HS Hornsby is at?  

Lets see if a big stink comes over this for transferring for "athletic purposes".  If the North Forest coach turns it in could be some fireworks from the UIL.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Him and Adeleye? That's a pipeline right there.

We have a great chance to stockpile the DL going forward with elite guys in Collins, Umanmielen, Broughton, Dorbah, and ??? this class and continue in 21' with Adeleye and Landon Jackson.

We probably need a true NT somewhere unless Adeleye or Umanmielen grows into one.

5 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

According to OB: 

Zach Evans next weekend. He might not visit LSU this weekend. Bryson Washington and Logan Parr (maybe) as well next weekend. 

Alfred Collins this weekend. 

I think somebody already mentioned it but we'll probably have junior day in February right? 

Oh cool, nice to have Bryson on campus as well. Parr's unexpectedly active for an early OL commit.

5 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

According to OB: 

Zach Evans next weekend. He might not visit LSU this weekend. Bryson Washington and Logan Parr (maybe) as well next weekend. 

Alfred Collins this weekend. 

I think somebody already mentioned it but we'll probably have junior day in February right? 

Usually end of February or early March, but both Openings in Texas this year are the weekends of March 3rd and 17th, so yeah I bet Jr. Day is in mid-late February.  

Haven't we split up Jr. Day under Herman?  Some come on Saturday, others the next day Sunday?

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Usually end of February or early March, but both Openings in Texas this year are the weekends of March 3rd and 17th, so yeah I bet Jr. Day is in mid-late February.  

Haven't we split up Jr. Day under Herman?  Some come on Saturday, others the next day Sunday?

thought they were 2 2-day affairs

E.J. Holland: Texas staff set to see key recruits on recruiting trail

The dead period is coming to a close. And that means the Texas staff is gearing up to hit the recruiting trail and see some of its top targets on Friday. UT safeties coach Craig Naivar is making one of the most important stops as he will see four-star Mansfield Legacy defensive back Jalen Catalon before he makes his official visit to TCU. Catalon is still strongly considering Texas but as we’ve been reporting there is still some work to do. Arkansas is currently considered the frontrunner, and we’re told his parents really like TCU.

While in the Dallas-area, Naivar is also expected to see top 2020 Duncanville safety Chris Thompson as well as four-star 2020 Hebron safety Darius Snow. Both have Texas around the top of their respective lists. Naivar won’t be the only coach stopping by Duncanville. Texas offensive coordinator Tim Beck is also slated to be there to see four-star quarterback/athlete Ja’Quinden Jackson.

One of the top overall 2020 recruits in the country, Jackson is starting to warm up to the idea of playing quarterback at the next level. But he is still open to moving to the defensive side of the ball. The fact that Beck is seeing him means Texas thinks he has the potential to be a signal-caller at the next level. Beck will also see a key 2020 defensive target while in the Dallas-area in four-star Highland Park product Prince Dorbah. Perhaps the best pass rusher in the state, Dorbah is very high on Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas.

Meanwhile, Texas will also be in the Houston-area tomorrow as the Longhorns are set to see offensive line commit Javonne Shepherd before he makes his weekend official visit to Texas A&M. While he is also slated to make OVs to Alabama and Georgia, the school Texas should be most concerned about is Texas A&M. He has a teammate committed there and was very high on the Aggies before siding with UT.

Texas wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer will be at Houston North Forest to see that aforementioned teammate — five-star 2020 Texas A&M wide receiver Demond Demas. Again, the Aggies hold an early verbal pledge, but Texas is going to continue to work on flipping him.

During his time in Houston, Mehringer is also expected to see four-star 2020 Fort Bend Austin wide receiver Troy Omeire. Texas A&M was considered the early favorite, but Texas has made a nice surge over the last few months. A large focus will be on the state of Texas, but cornerbacks coach Jason Washington is getting on a plane to Arizona and will see five-star Saguaro cornerback Kelee Ringo.

We have our Crystal Balls on Texas for Ringo early on. He is high on UT as well as Alabama, Oklahoma and Washington. Ringo has a couple of ties to the Texas program as Beck was once the head coach at his high school and UT-ex Bryant Westbrook is his current position coach. Texas will see several other recruits tomorrow as the Longhorns look to close out 2019 and make a big impression on underclassmen.

9 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I think Evans is looking for reasons to sign with Texas. We have the spot for him, out team is on the rise. His brother is in our corner. For once, I feel good about this recruitment. I think this will be like the Bru to USC. 

This is nothing like Bru to USC. If we go 5-7 and clean house except for Herman there is a 0% chance he comes here. 

Everybody should temper expectations for Evans imo. We have as good a shot as anyone but I'd still take the field over us.

11 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I think Evans is looking for reasons to sign with Texas. We have the spot for him, out team is on the rise. His brother is in our corner. For once, I feel good about this recruitment. I think this will be like the Bru to USC. 

Word soup 

IT

2020 and 2021

As we've written a handful of times, with the end of the dead period the staff will get more aggressive with the classes ahead. Those classes just so happen to be pretty damn loaded and will be a blast to cover.

While no activity is expected on the 40 Acres this weekend with official visitors, there will be some targeted juniors like Bastrop’s Alfred Collins, Manor’s Princely Umanmielen, and Katy Tompkins sophomore Tunmise Adeleye taking visits. All three are defensive linemen with Collins and Adeleye looking elite.

The following weekend gets even better with five-star running back Zachary Evans, four-star safety Bryson Washington, and three-star athlete Michael Henderson. Washington and Evans are pretty good friends. Washington doesn't get talked about enough and could realistically be included in class mock-ups. We'll see how numbers go.

We expect more names to be added to both weekends and will add those as they come. 

Good news, the staff clearly realizes A&M and OU got the jump on them last year and are now trying to return the favor. They're being aggressive and taking advantage of the win over Georgia. That aggression was part of the calculus for predictions of a top-five 2020 class.

Coaches on the move:

As mentioned above, Naivar will be in Mansfield to see Catalon. When Naivar locks on a guy he's not going down without a fight. While in the area, he'll swing through Duncanville to see Chris Thompson and Ja'Quinden Jackson. Interestingly, Tim Beck will be in tow. We don't see Jackson as a quarterback, but what the hell, just recruit him with that being a possibility and go from there.

Beck looks to channel his volume recruiter ability and will also see Highland Park defensive end Prince Dorbah. UT is in a good spot here but you have to watch out for OU too. It'll be interesting to see how well new OU defensive coordinator Alex Grinch can recruit. We've talked to some coaches who know him and they think he'll be formidable with the OU brand on his shirt.

Receivers coach Drew Mehringer will be by Tomball High School to visit Demond Demas in his new school. Demas transferred at the semester from North Forest. That's a quality of life upgrade for the five-star committed to A&M. 

Not to be outdone by his colleague in the secondary, Jason Washington will make the trip out to Arizona to see five-star cornerback Kelee Ringo. Texas will be in that recruitment until the end. For now, the staff will keep chopping wood, or more fittingly, whatever the hell saguaros are made of.

In case you missed it on the board on Thursday, Texas will host a few key unofficial visitors this weekend and next.

Bastrop Cedar Creek DE Alfred Collins will be on campus this Saturday to watch the hoops game and tour the campus.

Five-star RB Zachary Evans will be on campus on January 18 to attend the Texas-OU hoops game. Rivals100 DB Bryson Washington will also be at that game, and Texas OL commitment Logan Parr told me he’s trying to make it in as well. I’d expect that list to grow, but those are a few of the guys who confirmed their plans on Thursday night.

Of note … Evans was planning to visit LSU this coming weekend but I’m told those plans are now up in the air.

(Ketch)

One of the elephants in the room with regards to running backs coach Stan Drayton being retained as running backs coach for the Longhorns is that while he hasn’t been an ace recruiter for the Longhorns up until now, he has built a very strong relationship with 2020 superstar running back Zachary Evans of North Shore.

While there is still nearly a year left in the recruitment of Evans, this isn’t a recruitment that would be served well by making a hire that would be creating a relationship with Evans from scratch.

The primary schools in his recruitment have all developed 12+ month relationships with Evans and hitting the reset button would represent a major risk, especially since Drayton has been positioned as a major positive in Evans’ recruitment.

Consider this report from last spring.

2020 North Shore running back Zachary Evans visited UT a couple weeks ago and will be back again on Saturday for the Orange-White game. That can’t be bad. Evans, arguably the best back in the nation for his class, said his most recent visit went very well, further solidifying UT’s position at or near the top of his list.

“I feel like it was better than any other visit because we actually sat and did film this time, straight film. I already knew about the school, but the way he broke it down to me, how I’d be a valuable asset in his offense, it was amazing,” Evans said.

It was Evans, his brother and Texas running backs coach Stan Drayton in the film room. Evans said he feels, based on what he’s seen, that the Texas offense is going to be “very explosive this year” and he’s expecting Texas to rack up a large number of wins this fall.

Evans’ thoughts on Drayton …

“I feel like he’s a very valuable coach. The way he breaks down film is like no other,” Evans said. “It’s very understandable coming from him. Then I feel like as I keep going up there, we bond closer and closer every time.”

Fast-forward nine months and the Longhorns are in an excellent position with Evans, the pole-position, in fact.

It’s a risk to count on Drayton to finish the deal with this recruitment, but he’s been incredibly valuable in this pursuit thus far.

30 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

I like Chris Vaugn's kid Deuce as an RB2 if we were to go that route in this class. Very impressive stats and film but remains unranked for some reason, might be due to his size. Might not be considered at Texas either way due to his old man's integrity issue.

This kid gives me Quentin Griffin PTSD flashbacks. 

35 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

I like Chris Vaugn's kid Deuce as an RB2 if we were to go that route in this class. Very impressive stats and film but remains unranked for some reason, might be due to his size. Might not be considered at Texas either way due to his old man's integrity issue.

PWO candidate?

4 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

Plus he could fix any qualifying tests hissownself.

• Like 1