Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Horns247 Recruiting Mailbag: Can Texas land a top national 2020 recruit?

WHO ARE SOME 2020 OOS KIDS THAT HAVE TEXAS TIES WE MIGHT BE IN A GOOD POSITION WITH OR WOULD BE IN A GOOD POSITION WITH IF/WHEN WE OFFER? — WATERBOIE

EJ: Kelee Ringo obviously comes to mind. The five-star cornerback out of Saguaro (AZ) has already been to campus on multiple occasions and is very high on the Longhorns early on. UT offensive coordinator Tim Beck was once the head coach at his high school, and Texas-ex Bryant Westbrook is his current position coach. Texas is also in a great spot for four-star St. Louis Trinity Catholic (MO) athlete Mookie Cooper, who was teammates with Texas signee Marcus Washington. Texas has also offered a pair of prospects from Grayson (GA), which produced Kenyatta Watson, in wide receiver Ryan King and defensive lineman Noah Collins.

Mike: Aside from the guys EJ mentioned, I would add Sam Adams from Washington. His dad played at Texas A&M, and the family is open to returning to the Lone Star State. While he is an A&M legacy, the family likes Texas, and the Sugar Bowl win caught their attention.

ANY UPDATES ON THE RB FROM CALIFORNIA, KENDALL MILTON? HE SEEMS TO HAVE HIGH INTEREST IN TEXAS. — HORNKC

EJ: Yes, he does have legitimate interest. Milton told me he was very impressed with the Longhorns’ win over Georgia in the Sugar Bowl and that he plans to visit at some point this offseason. Right now, things are just getting rolling with Milton, but it appears that he is open to leaving California. Texas obviously had a lot of success out West this cycle, and Tom Herman knows how to relate to recruits from California. I expect Texas to be in the mix this spring.

Mike: Texas will be in the mix, but I think it’s a long shot. Noah Cain had much more reason to pick Texas, and you saw how tough that recruitment was.

WHAT'S UP WITH DWIGHT MCGLOTHERN? I READ WHERE HE WAS GOING TO ANNOUNCE ON SATURDAY AND WAS A HEAVY AGGIE LEAN, THEN HE'S ASKING FOR LOVE FROM OHIO STATE? — CASEY67

EJ: Mike had an update with McGlothern earlier this week, so I’ll let him expand. I’ll just say this, the McGlothern recruitment is going to be one of the rollercoasters that we all love (sarcasm). I think Texas has some work to do right now, and I would give the early advantage to schools like LSU and Texas A&M.

Mike: Dwight is a kid both EJ and I like on a personal level, but he’s going to ride some waves. There are kids who enjoy the process more than others. McGlothern didn’t even have a school in mind when I asked him about his announcement, and I think he was planning to commit to an All-American game.

OBVIOUSLY, THIS 2019 CYCLE HAD A FEW VERY EARLY COMMITS. DO WE HAVE ANY CLUES AS TO WHO IN THE 2020 CYCLE IS LOOKING TO COMMIT IN THE SPRING, AND OF THOSE, ARE ANY CONSIDERED TEXAS LEANS? — XONU

EJ: Texas actually has more 2020 commits than it had 2019 commits at this point last year. The early signing period has sped up the recruiting process, so more prospects are taking advantage of spring official visits, which lead to earlier decisions. Prosper offensive lineman Jake Majors is one recruit I’ve heard that could make a decision in coming months. I would also keep an eye on guys like Duncanville athlete Ja'Quinden Jackson and Cedar Creek defensive lineman Alfred Collins.

Mike: Majors and Collins are guys I could see, and it wouldn’t shock me if a guy like Vernon Broughton shut it down in the spring. We will have a better idea after junior day.

WHAT CAN YOU TELL US ABOUT PRESTON STONE? DECISION TIMELINE? MAJOR PLAYERS OUTSIDE OF TEXAS? CONFIDENCE IF YOUR CRYSTAL BALL? — UNCLE RED

EJ: I love Preston Stone, man. He reminds me a lot of Johnny Manziel from a playing style standpoint, and he’s a pretty awesome kid off the field. It’s still early for Stone, so he doesn’t have an exact decision timeline. He definitely likes Texas early on and is looking at several other options. Like I said, it’s still early, but Texas is in a great spot at this point in the process. He has already built a strong relationship with offensive coordinator Tim Beck.

Mike: He’s going to take his time, but quarterbacks usually end up deciding early. Preston is an awesome player and kid, and he’s extremely high on Texas. I’m not sure if I could even name a school that sticks out as primary competition.

HOPE THIS QUESTION QUALIFIES, BUT DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT THE TIME FRAME FOR MARQUES CALDWELL'S RECOVERY FROM HIS LABRUM INJURY IS? WAS SURGERY REQUIRED? — RICKZOLOFT

EJ: Caldwell opted to wait on having surgery, but he did recently have it. I’m not sure if he’ll be ready for fall camp. He will likely need a redshirt year regardless. Labrum injuries are kind of tricky and sometimes take a while to fully recover from.

Mike: I know the surgeries for labrum injuries can be hell to recover from, so I’d expect a redshirt year as he gets healthy.

ANY UPDATES ON DEMARIYON HOUSTON? DO YOU GUYS THINK THAT HE WILLING TO RECOMMIT TO TEXAS? — WILCURLIN790

EJ: There is nothing really there. I don’t think Texas really fought to keep him in the class, and I don’t believe they will push for him during NSD2. Despite missing on Bru McCoy, the Longhorns are very happy about their wide receiver class and will use remaining scholarships elsewhere.

Mike: I think Texas is ok with moving on. It sounds like Penn State and Nebraska are the schools likely to land him.

LAKIA HENRY. WHO DOES HE LOOK LIKE THE MOST (ON A PRO LEVEL)? WHERE DOES HE FIT AT TEXAS? AND IS HE A DAY 1 STARTER? — HORNSBILL96

EJ: I think he looks a lot like Gary Johnson and would play a similar role at Texas. The Longhorns went after him early for a reason. If he makes his way to Austin, I definitely think he will have a great chance to be a Day 1 starter. Like I reported earlier this week, Henry is strongly considering Arkansas, Ole Miss and Texas, but there are still some things being worked out with academic credits.

Mike: I would have to see more to make a comparison. I haven’t re-engaged yet with him since he’s entered the picture again. His fit would be in the Rover position, but he could also play Mac.

IS THERE ANY REASON WHY TEXAS HASN’T OFFERED ISHMAEL SOPHSER’S JUCO BROTHER? WOULD THEY EVEN HAVE A CHANCE WITH HIM ANYWAYS? — RAGINGLONGHORN

EJ: They haven’t offered because they don’t view him as an offer guy, and I really don’t think it would create any movement with Sopsher. Despite listing Texas in his top schools, everything we’ve heard is that he is likely to land at either Alabama or LSU. In fact, I would be shocked if he goes anywhere else.

Mike: This recruitment just doesn’t favor Texas even a little bit. It’s down to Bama and LSU, and I’m hearing LSU is gaining confidence.

IF YOU COULD GIVE A SIXTH STAR, WHO WOULD IT BE? ANY RECRUIT OVER LAST FIVE YEARS, 2020 CLASS INCLUDED?

EJ: Fun question. I would go with Jamal Adams. I remember it was my first year really covering recruiting, and I went to a Clay Mack/David Robinson workout that featured elite wide receiver DaMarkus Lodge. Adams walked in with an entourage, lined up against Lodge and effortlessly pressed him to the ground. I immediately thought to myself, ‘man, this dude is going to be in the NFL one day.’ I only covered Adams a few more times, but he might be the best recruit I’ve ever seen, which is wild because he wasn’t even the top prospect in the state that cycle.

Mike: This name will hurt, but it’s probably Walker Little. He was just such a star, and you knew he was going to succeed easily. Texas was one of the first to offer, and I remember watching his film and wondering how he didn’t have more.

Is it just me or does this guy look slow? Doesn't look like he gets off the ball very quick or to the quarterback.

He doesn’t look particularly fast - but I don’t think speed is why you’re taking this kid. He’s already 6’4ish and 240 pounds and plays strong as hell. Looks to play fairly smart too - saw more than a few plays where he stood the OL, waited for the RB to pick a lane, and then tossed a double-team aside to make a TFL.

Appeared to make quite a few plays chasing down the ball carrier from the backside - so he’s not loafing anytime the play goes to the other side.

I like this kid quite a bit.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

He doesn’t look particularly fast - but I don’t think speed is why you’re taking this kid. He’s already 6’4ish and 240 pounds and plays strong as hell. Looks to play fairly smart too - saw more than a few plays where he stood the OL, waited for the RB to pick a lane, and then tossed a double-team aside to make a TFL.

Appeared to make quite a few plays chasing down the ball carrier from the backside - so he’s not loafing anytime the play goes to the other side.

I like this kid quite a bit.

Does he look like a NT then because that's basically it for DL without quick twitch.  

5 hours ago, BurntOrange4Life said:

Is it just me or does this guy look slow? Doesn't look like he gets off the ball very quick or to the quarterback.

Most of the plays in his highlight vid are created by a O-lineman completely whiffing on a block or missing his assignment.  

Horns247 Saturday Scoop: UT trending up for top 2020 recruits

— I’m feeling better and better about my Texas Crystal Ball pick for four-star 2020 Port Neches-Groves offensive lineman Jaylen Garth. While Texas A&M remains a threat, Garth has built a strong relationship with the Texas staff and is expected to make his way to campus for a visit next weekend. Garth is also good friends with Texas quarterback signee Roschon Johnson, who has been recruiting him hard. On top of that, Tom Herman has a relationship with the Port Neches-Groves coaching staff that dates back to his time at Ohio State.

— Elite 2020 Duncanville safety Chris Thompson told me that he is a maybe to visit Texas next weekend. Thompson remains very high on the Longhorns early on, and I would still give UT the edge at this time. With that said, Thompson is also very high on LSU and Texas A&M. And by the way, Stanford is creeping in with Thompson as well. Thompson is looking to make a decision closer to his senior season. As we previously reported, Texas safeties coach Craig Naivar saw Thompson yesterday.

— Four-star 2020 Highland Park defensive end Prince Dorbah told me that he is looking to make a visit to Texas very soon. UT offensive coordinator Tim Beck saw Dorbah on Friday and also attended the first half of his basketball game. Beck and the rest of the Texas staff have done a tremendous job of recruiting Dorbah and those around him early on. Dorbah still likes Oklahoma and Arkansas, but I think Texas has created some separation for now.

— While on the road in Dallas yesterday, Beck swung by Parish Episcopal to see top 2021 quarterback Preston Stone, who already holds a Texas offer and is a top target. I actually ran into Stone’s high school head coach, Daniel Novakov, today, and he told me that he loves Beck and feels like he is doing a nice job with Stone and his family early on. He added that Texas has already put itself a great position for Stone.

On 9/18/2018 at 8:42 PM, texifornia said:

According to E.J., we're "in the driver's seat" for this kid right now. Wiltfong has him headed to A&M for whatever reason but he's the only one.

Edited by satyanash

6 minutes ago, satyanash said:

According to E.J., we're "in the driver's seat" for this kid right now. Wiltfong has him headed to A&M for whatever reason but he's the only one.

Wiltfong crystal balled him to aggy after the Clemson moral victory.  We offered him the next week vs. USC and I don't know if he's even visited aggy since then.

I hope Collins does a camp so we can get accurate measurables on him and see how he looks.  

It's obvious the staff has Collins, Umanmielen, Broughton, and Dorbah at the top of the board for the DL haul.

19 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Wiltfong crystal balled him to aggy after the Clemson moral victory.  We offered him the next week vs. USC and I don't know if he's even visited aggy since then.

I hope Collins does a camp so we can get accurate measurables on him and see how he looks.  

It's obvious the staff has Collins, Umanmielen, Broughton, and Dorbah at the top of the board for the DL haul.

Fong threw out so many CBs after that moral victory

Dwight McGlothern, Troy Omeire, Chris Thompson Jr., James Sylvester, Devin Price, Alfred Collins, Malik Hornsby, Jaylon Jones

Lawrence is going to do dirty things to the aggy secondary next year

21 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Between Collins being a legacy and Umanmielen playing for Manor, we have some nice early inbuilt advantages with instate DL...

5 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Dwight McGlothern, Troy Omeire, Chris Thompson Jr., James Sylvester, Devin Price, Alfred Collins, Malik Hornsby, Jaylon Jones

Wiltfong actually has Jaylon Jones crystal balled to Texas.

Collins is as close to a slam dunk as we can get. If Giles can’t close him, he doesn’t need to be fired, he needs to be prosecuted. Anyone cb’ing him anywhere but Texas has their head firmly up their asshole. 

Separately, Collins is going to be a top 30 player in the country when the ratings are revealed/refreshed in the new cycle. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Collins is as close to a slam dunk as we can get. If Giles can’t close him, he doesn’t need to be fired, he needs to be prosecuted. Anyone cb’ing him anywhere but Texas has their head firmly up their asshole. 

Separately, Collins is going to be a top 30 player in the country when the ratings are revealed/refreshed in the new cycle. 

I think both Collins and Broughton look like 5* top 30 types; Broughton might actually be a top 10 type, and I could see him ending up being the top prospect in the state. Dorbah looks like a top 100 type. Princely looks like a top 250 type. While Collins should be in the bag, it'll be interesting to see how we do with the other three, which all appear to be winnable recruitments. The top recruiters on staff, including Washington, Herman, and Carrington, should all be included in these recruitments with Giles from the get go. 

The kid from Arizona is interesting, he looks like a Charles O plus starter kit.

I'd take all five, but I'd also try to take close to 25 in the class. 

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Is there data on the timing of a commitment affecting player rankings? Always seems to me like the longer a kid waits to commit, the higher his ranking ends up being.

If a kid like T'Vondre Sweat had flirted with Wiltfong's favourite school a bit more, for example, he might have been graded more accurately as a four-star.

1 hour ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

They can have Mcglothern. Dude is always begging for teams to recruit him harder. He's the ultimate diva.