Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

Get a couple of these OL signed early and things could really lean our way with Evans

Have to think there is a realistic scenario where they could push early and have Parr, Lindberg, Majors and Garth locked up before the summer starts. After that all you have to do is work on Damien George and show Evans what he’s going to run behind. 

7 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Why in the world does 247's website not allow you to search by high school name? And if it does, why can't you just click on the high school name on a player's profile?

You can.  Go to "Player Search" and under the space where you type their name there is an option for "Recruitment Filters".  Searching by high school is one of the options.

OB War Room. Gotta love the Majors quote and like the part from Broughton. 

Spoiler

(From Suchomel)

There’s quite a bit of recruiting news to get to this week, so let’s jump right in …

The Longhorns will host a large number of 2020 targets this weekend for unofficial visits. Similar to last weekend, recruits will have a chance to go to the Texas hoops game on Saturday and also spending time with the coaches around the football facilities.

Some of the guys expected to be on campus …

QB Hunter Dunn - Tomball

RB Ty Jordan – West Mesquite

RB Zachary Evans - North Shore (now a maybe)

WR Demond Demas – Tomball

OL Logan Parr – San Antonio O’Connor (UT commit)

OL Chad Lindberg – Clear Creek

OL Jake Majors - Prosper

OL Jaylen Garth – Port Neches-Groves

DE Vernon Broughton – Spring Woods

LB Josh White – Cypress Creek

S Bryson Washington – Houston C.E. King

Just about all the guys on this list have Texas extremely high on their list, so it could be a very productive weekend for the Longhorns in continuing to lay the foundation and build momentum in the 2020 class. We’ll touch base with most of these players (and anyone else who shows up) after their visits for updates.

Speaking of St. Louis Trinity Catholic 2020 standout Mookie Cooper, the talented playmaker will take an unofficial visit to Georgia this weekend. Cooper told me this week he’ll also visit Nebraska soon and is trying to lock in a Texas visit in February with Marcus Washington.

Cooper, who has a top-10 that includes Texas, said Washington does talk to him quite a bit about playing together at Texas, but he’s trying to keep an open mind.

“He’s my guy. It would be good to play with him but my recruitment is open,” Cooper said.

Drew Mehringer stopped by the school on Tuesday and saw both Washington and Cooper. Cooper said it’s always good anytime he gets to connect with Mehringer.

I did ask Cooper to put it in general terms where Texas fits on his list. His reply … “No comment lol.” Considering he’s already visited UT twice, I’ll take that as a good sign.

Prosper 2020 offensive lineman Jake Majors will be on campus on Saturday. He’s built up a strong relationship with Herb Hand, and said he’s excited for him and his family to get around the UT staff to continue get to know each other.

“Just with coach Hand, the coaches, it’ll be good for me and my parents to spend more time with them,” Majors said. “I’ve been up there a lot, but I want (the coaches and his parents) to spend time with each other, make my mom and dad at home if I decided go there, let them know I’d be in good hands.”

Majors has close to 20 offers from schools like Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Washington and Wisconsin. The Longhorns have the early lead.

“Right now, Texas is my favorite but I’m also considering other schools such as Stanford, Washington, Missouri and Oklahoma,” Majors said.

2020 linebacker Josh White is committed to Oklahoma State but he continues to be in touch with Texas. Todd Orlando stopped by White’s school (Cypress Creek) this weekend and White will visit Texas on Saturday.

“It was great,” White said of seeing Orlando at his school this week. “He and I have been building a good relationship since last summer. We’ve been talking since the summer and I actually went to a camp last summer. We worked on change of direction. He’s a great coach.”

White is hoping a UT offer comes at some point. If it does, the Longhorns will be in pretty good shape.

“If Texas was to offer, it would make things a lot harder,” White said. “It’s home. It’s the home state school.”

Along with Texas and Oklahoma State, White said he stays in touch with LSU and Missouri frequently. He’ll attend a Texas A&M Junior Day on February 3.

The 6-1, 205-pound White, who runs the sprint relays for Cypress Creek and was clocked at a 4.5 at a Houston camp last summer, said he feels he’d fit in well with what Texas likes to do on defense.

“I think I do fit in well with my speed and making plays, being able to read plays that the offense is doing and react to them,” White said. “Things I can improve on, I can always improve my change of direction. But I think I would fit in pretty well with my speed.”

2020 DE Vernon Broughton is planning to visit on Saturday and the Spring Woods standout said he’s built up a good relationship with Oscar Giles and the UT staff.

“I’ve really been talking with coach Giles. He’s talking to me about what Texas is about, things like that, how they can make me a better person than I am now, getting me to where I want to go,” Broughton said. “I talk to him the most out of all the coaches. It makes me feel good, honestly, seeing that he’s dedicated. He’s talking to me about every day.”

Broughton said there’s a lot to like about Texas, but it’s the attention showed by the UT staff that is really elevating Texas’ stock.

“Their locker room is off the chain. But coaching wise, coach Giles is a cool dude to be around and talk to. Coach Herman, me and him are cool. He came to my basketball game (on Tuesday),” Broughton said. “I was kind of excited. Not kind of, I was excited. It was nice.”

Broughton said he plans to commit during the summer at some point. He doesn’t have a firm top five, but said the Longhorns are in his “top five for sure.” He didn’t know of any other programs that would for sure make the cut.

• Like 3

IT's visitors list

Many of these prospects will be hanging around long enough to watch the men's basketball team take on Oklahoma Saturday night.

QB Hudson Card (Lake Travis; Austin, TX) - TEXAS: The dual-threat was the first pledge for the class and will be on campus so much people will mistake him for a student.

LB Josh White (Cypress Creek; Houston): One of the top linebackers in Texas, White is a sideline-to-sideline player that tracks-and-smacks. He was paid a visit by Todd Orlando earlier this week. A Texas offer wouldn't surprise. He recently picked up LSU. We hear he's up to 6-foot-2, 215 pounds. That's perfect size at this stage and the Big 12 is a great fit for what he brings to the table.

QB Hunter Dunn (Tomball, TX): Much has been made of the NCAA portal, but Dunn received the greatest free agent gift in high school football with Demond Demas moving to his zone. A tall, productive pocket passer, Dunn's already good numbers are going to spike. Currently he only holds a Temple offer, but is also hearing from A&M, Tulsa, Louisiana Tech, and Wyoming. He's going to be a QB1 for some and QB2 for others.

WR Demond Demas (Tomball, TX) - A&M: The top pass-catcher in Texas for 2020 made the move to Tomball and instantly put himself in a better situation with a better QB. PlayStation numbers, y'all. Demas's recruitment will dominate 2020 cycle headlines. Texas appears in it for the long-haul. Collin Johnson's season caught his attention and timing couldn't be more perfect for Demas to come in and play early as the senior departs.

OL Logan Parr (SA O'Connor; Helotes, TX) - TEXAS: UT's second commitment for #cloUT2020 was the first of what will be an impressive OL haul in this cycle. The birthday boy (Thursday) is taking a prominent role recruiting his prospective stablemates.

OL Jake Majors (Prosper, TX): When the 6-foot-4, 280-pounder was offered by Stanford, I cringed. He's that level of talent and would be a coup for Herb Hand and the Horns this class. Despite not being ranked as such, he may be the best offensive lineman in the state. The birthday boy (Thursday, yep, him too) has become fast friends with Parr and Chad Lindberg.

OL Chad Lindberg (Clear Creek; League City, TX): Another of the top offensive line prospects on UT's big board, the 6-foot-6, 305-pounder is in high demand for a reason. 30+ offers including Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Georgia, and LSU among the many. A case can be made he's the most important player in the class. Tom Herman visited Lindberg at school this week and told him he wants Chad to be a class leader. That resonates, though Lindberg will likely take all of his official visits this spring. Texas looks good.

RB Ty Jordan (West Mesquite): At 5-foot-8, 180, the stout, compact APB has speed in spades. With Texas looking to upgrade the home run hitting ability in the RB room, Jordan would be a good get. But it is a crowded field of ball-carriers in-state for 2020 and it will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. In addition to Texas calling, Utah, Wisconsin, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Missouri, and Mississippi State are named as schools showing the most interest at this time.

DB Bryson Washington (C.E. King; Houston): The hard-hitting safety has been a Texas fan as long as I've known him. The situation in the defensive backfield is similar to the offensive line in which the staff is all but guaranteed a very good class. Where the positions differ is the staff doesn't quite have its pecking order solidified. There are quite a few safety candidates still on the table. Along with the oft-discussed players, Lufkin's Jerrin Thompson is also on the radar. Make no mistake, they do like Washington and he'll be visited on Friday ahead of his visit to Austin. Washington also has interest in OU but if the staff presses give UT the edge. One thing to add to the eval, he's a culture fit.

DB Jaylon Jones (Cibolo Steele; San Antonio): Early on it appears it's a Texas-Florida battle for the big corner (6-foot-2, 195) from the land of Malcolm Brown and Caden Sterns. UT has the edge but it may not be a slam dunk. At least not the slam dunk he performed at summer camp.

Maybes

RB Zach Evans (North Shore; Galena Park, TX): The No. 1 player in Texas. The No. 1 running back in the nation. Every visit to the ATX helps. His visit is still up in the air and will depend on finding a ride. Speaking of rides, this will be a wild one. If he doesn't make it this weekend, he'll still visit many more times.

OL Damieon George (North Shore; Galena Park, TX): At 6-foot-6, 320 pounds, the ginormous future offensive guard likes Texas after the offer came a few months ago. The Louisiana native also likes LSU and blocking for Evans. To give themselves the best chance with Evans, the staff needs to recruit George like he's Chad Lindberg. Not coincidentally, those are the two offensive lineman Evans wants to play with.

OL Jaylen Garth (Port Neches-Groves): Protecting Roschon's blind side was his goal in 2018. Committing to a big-time program in 2020 is his next goal. A spring pledge wouldn't surprise me. If Texas lands it's ideal haul, Garth is the most likely left tackle of the bunch.

It's not inconceivable that UT has four offensive linemen committed sometime in the summer.

DE Vernon Broughton (Cypress Ridge; Houston): He's probably the best defensive line prospect in-state for 2020 and as such is a major priority for the Texas staff. Every talk, visit, and trip means something to Broughton. UT is doing a good job of building the relationship.

He’s not scheduled, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Highland Park four-star defensive end Prince Dorbah was on campus this weekend. Texas has seen him twice in the last two weeks with Tim Beck attending one of his basketball games. They’re making him a top priority.

Edited by Machinator

15 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

OB War Room. Gotta love the Majors quote and like the part from Broughton. 

Hide contents

(From Suchomel)

There’s quite a bit of recruiting news to get to this week, so let’s jump right in …

The Longhorns will host a large number of 2020 targets this weekend for unofficial visits. Similar to last weekend, recruits will have a chance to go to the Texas hoops game on Saturday and also spending time with the coaches around the football facilities.

Some of the guys expected to be on campus …

QB Hunter Dunn - Tomball

RB Ty Jordan – West Mesquite

RB Zachary Evans - North Shore (now a maybe)

WR Demond Demas – Tomball

OL Logan Parr – San Antonio O’Connor (UT commit)

OL Chad Lindberg – Clear Creek

OL Jake Majors - Prosper

OL Jaylen Garth – Port Neches-Groves

DE Vernon Broughton – Spring Woods

LB Josh White – Cypress Creek

S Bryson Washington – Houston C.E. King

Just about all the guys on this list have Texas extremely high on their list, so it could be a very productive weekend for the Longhorns in continuing to lay the foundation and build momentum in the 2020 class. We’ll touch base with most of these players (and anyone else who shows up) after their visits for updates.

Speaking of St. Louis Trinity Catholic 2020 standout Mookie Cooper, the talented playmaker will take an unofficial visit to Georgia this weekend. Cooper told me this week he’ll also visit Nebraska soon and is trying to lock in a Texas visit in February with Marcus Washington.

Cooper, who has a top-10 that includes Texas, said Washington does talk to him quite a bit about playing together at Texas, but he’s trying to keep an open mind.

“He’s my guy. It would be good to play with him but my recruitment is open,” Cooper said.

Drew Mehringer stopped by the school on Tuesday and saw both Washington and Cooper. Cooper said it’s always good anytime he gets to connect with Mehringer.

I did ask Cooper to put it in general terms where Texas fits on his list. His reply … “No comment lol.” Considering he’s already visited UT twice, I’ll take that as a good sign.

Prosper 2020 offensive lineman Jake Majors will be on campus on Saturday. He’s built up a strong relationship with Herb Hand, and said he’s excited for him and his family to get around the UT staff to continue get to know each other.

“Just with coach Hand, the coaches, it’ll be good for me and my parents to spend more time with them,” Majors said. “I’ve been up there a lot, but I want (the coaches and his parents) to spend time with each other, make my mom and dad at home if I decided go there, let them know I’d be in good hands.”

Majors has close to 20 offers from schools like Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Washington and Wisconsin. The Longhorns have the early lead.

“Right now, Texas is my favorite but I’m also considering other schools such as Stanford, Washington, Missouri and Oklahoma,” Majors said.

2020 linebacker Josh White is committed to Oklahoma State but he continues to be in touch with Texas. Todd Orlando stopped by White’s school (Cypress Creek) this weekend and White will visit Texas on Saturday.

“It was great,” White said of seeing Orlando at his school this week. “He and I have been building a good relationship since last summer. We’ve been talking since the summer and I actually went to a camp last summer. We worked on change of direction. He’s a great coach.”

White is hoping a UT offer comes at some point. If it does, the Longhorns will be in pretty good shape.

“If Texas was to offer, it would make things a lot harder,” White said. “It’s home. It’s the home state school.”

Along with Texas and Oklahoma State, White said he stays in touch with LSU and Missouri frequently. He’ll attend a Texas A&M Junior Day on February 3.

The 6-1, 205-pound White, who runs the sprint relays for Cypress Creek and was clocked at a 4.5 at a Houston camp last summer, said he feels he’d fit in well with what Texas likes to do on defense.

“I think I do fit in well with my speed and making plays, being able to read plays that the offense is doing and react to them,” White said. “Things I can improve on, I can always improve my change of direction. But I think I would fit in pretty well with my speed.”

2020 DE Vernon Broughton is planning to visit on Saturday and the Spring Woods standout said he’s built up a good relationship with Oscar Giles and the UT staff.

“I’ve really been talking with coach Giles. He’s talking to me about what Texas is about, things like that, how they can make me a better person than I am now, getting me to where I want to go,” Broughton said. “I talk to him the most out of all the coaches. It makes me feel good, honestly, seeing that he’s dedicated. He’s talking to me about every day.”

Broughton said there’s a lot to like about Texas, but it’s the attention showed by the UT staff that is really elevating Texas’ stock.

“Their locker room is off the chain. But coaching wise, coach Giles is a cool dude to be around and talk to. Coach Herman, me and him are cool. He came to my basketball game (on Tuesday),” Broughton said. “I was kind of excited. Not kind of, I was excited. It was nice.”

Broughton said he plans to commit during the summer at some point. He doesn’t have a firm top five, but said the Longhorns are in his “top five for sure.” He didn’t know of any other programs that would for sure make the cut.

“If Texas was to offer, it would make things a lot harder,” White said. “It’s home. It’s the home state school”

OG doing work. 

“I’ve really been talking with coach Giles. He’s talking to me about what Texas is about, things like that, how they can make me a better person than I am now, getting me to where I want to go,” Broughton said. “I talk to him the most out of all the coaches. It makes me feel good, honestly, seeing that he’s dedicated. He’s talking to me about every day.”

How they handle linebacker will be interesting in this class, considering they're taking 4-5 in 2019. We can sneak Jackson in as an athlete who can potentially play linebacker, and Snow in as a safety who can eventually play around the line of scrimmage regardless of what he wants the position to be labeled

1 hour ago, Fud said:

How they handle linebacker will be interesting in this class, considering they're taking 4-5 in 2019. We can sneak Jackson in as an athlete who can potentially play linebacker, and Snow in as a safety who can eventually play around the line of scrimmage regardless of what he wants the position to be labeled

We should always take one guy who was trained to do Big 12 LB things in HS (D. White, Gbenda, J. White), but beyond that I'm fine with not throwing numbers at the position.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

We should always take one guy who was trained to do Big 12 LB things in HS (D. White, Gbenda, J. White), but beyond that I'm fine with not throwing numbers at the position.

We should almost always do that. 2020 might be the rare case where we don't since we just took three high schoolers who fit that mold, in addition to a 3 year JUCO. If we're hurting for space, we can probably get away with Jackson and Snow there, assuming Jackson is open to linebacker from the get go. 

8 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Well, I guess that's good news. This kid and Evans are going to be a goddamn circus for the next 11 months.

I wouldn’t pay much attention to Demas. He’s got a handler—I mean kind-hearted individual sacrificing his time and resources to provide for a better future for young Demond—and is up for auction. We don’t do well in those recruitments.

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/01/open-post-weekend-january-18th-20th/

Quick-Hitter | Broughton
– Super K

***Went out to the basketball game of 2020 4-star defensive lineman, Vernon Broughton.

Think he’s a big priority?

Broughton has a first step like you wouldn’t believe on a guy that size. To continue to improve on the defensive side of the ball, Texas needs to continue getting these protypical NFL looking guys without sacrificing quickness and bend. That’s what a guy like Broughton would give.

I’ll have some thoughts on his recruitment up, shortly.

Herman Visits Top 2020 OL Target
– Andrew King

Herman and company were in the Houston area to see another top 2020 target in Cy Creek (TX) offensive tackle Chad Lindberg. 

We’ve noted that Lindberg is the top offensive line target for Texas in 2020 and could end up being the top tackle in the state when it’s all said and done. Current Texas commitsmHudson Card and Logan Parr have done a great job building a strong relationship with Lindberg.

Stanford is a threat for Lindberg, but I’d call Texas the leader right now due to his relationships with Card, Parr, and the Texas staff. Lindberg’s older brother is also a student at UT which would seemingly play in their favor.

Adding Lindberg along with Parr could go a long way with Texas’ chances to land 5-star running back Zach Evans.

Quick-Hitter | Demas
– CJ Vogel

**** 2020 Texas A&M WR commit Demond Demas will be on campus this weekend according to his Twitter.

Demas will be making the trip with 2020 Tomball QB Hunter Dunn who currently holds on an offer from Temple.

Texas WR coach Drew Mehringer visited Demas at North Forest HS last week for what it’s worth.

Big Recruiting Weekend 
– Andrew King

I’m not sure if Texas is having a junior day this weekend, but it sure looks like it based on the recruits who have told me they’re going to Austin this weekend. Here’s some of the guys so far, and we’ll continue to add more as we hear back from some guys.

Lake Travis (TX) quarterback Hudson Card (Texas commit)

North Forest (TX) wide receiver Demond Demas (Texas A&M commit)

O’Connor (TX) offensive guard Logan Parr (Texas commit)

Highland Park (TX) defensive end Prince Dorbah

Cy Creek (TX) offensive tackle Chad Lindberg

Cy Creek (TX) outside linebacker Josh White (Oklahoma State commit)

Cy Ridge (TX) defensive end Vernon Broughton (maybe)

Tomball (TX) quarterback Hunter Dunn

Bishop Dunne (TX) outside linebacker Brennon ScottU

CE King (TX) defensive back Bryson Washington

Port Neches Groves (TX) offensive tackle Jaylen Garth

43 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I wouldn’t pay much attention to Demas. He’s got a handler—I mean kind-hearted individual sacrificing his time and resources to provide for a better future for young Demond—and is up for auction. We don’t do well in those recruitments.

You've got to change with the times, or progress will fly right by. I don't think Texas lands Demas, but I also don't think they're being naive at all in their pursuit of him. There are several guys in this upcoming class that are program vaulters if you land them, and whoever lands them will be doing so because they're current in their recruiting practices. Texas is going to be current in this cycle. 

@Walden Ponderer might want to consider his health before clicking on non-2019 recruiting threads going forward. I know he's an old hippie and he don't know what to do, should he hang on to the old? should he grab on to the new? His call, but he may want to up the dope-smoking if that's part of hippie-ness. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

You've got to change with the times, or progress will fly right by. I don't think Texas lands Demas, but I also don't think they're being naive at all in their pursuit of him. There are several guys in this upcoming class that are program vaulters if you land them, and whoever lands them will be doing so because they're current in their recruiting practices. Texas is going to be current in this cycle.  

Sounds like the ATX is about to be:

tenor.gif?itemid=4902034

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

@Walden Ponderer might want to consider his health before clicking on non-2019 recruiting threads going forward. I know he's an old hippie and he don't know what to do, should he hang on to the old? should he grab on to the new? His call, but he may want to up the dope-smoking if that's part of hippie-ness. 

I appreciate your concern, but I've rolled with worse tides before. If I can stomach living in this dump for the better part of two decades, a little thing like the Demas and Evans recruitments won't even dim my personal lava lamp. 

Just now, Walden Ponderer said:

I appreciate your concern, but I've rolled with worse tides before. If I can stomach living in this dump for the better part of two decades, a little thing like the Demas and Evans recruitments won't even dim my personal lava lamp

Queue being called a coelenterate in 3 .... 2.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Good to hear. I’m all for modern recruiting practices, I’ve just yet to see it from the staff up to and including a certain OT in the 2019 class who has the same handler as Demas.

if this staff does modernize, it will almost certainly portend a top 5 class in 2020. 

53 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

if this staff does modernize, it will almost certainly portend a top 5 class in 2020. 

Good chance of top 3 with a composite average higher than the 2018 class.

I may be jumping the gun a bit, but I could see this class near the 93 range for class composite if it goes the way we think it will.

8 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

It would be nice if Rivals would rate Parr and Majors like they should be in regard to composit scores

Parr is rated higher on Rivals than ESPN by a lot.  He's #79 nationally on 247, #137 on Rivals, and #231 on ESPN.

You are right in Majors though.  He's not even in the top 75 for Texas on Rivals but is #156 overall on 247.  Not rated by ESPN yet.  This is what's keeping him a 3* composite.

Garth is rated much lower on Rivals than 247 as well.  He's about 4 points away from being a composite 4*.

Recruiting rankings are important to TEXAS insofar as they confirm that we are a serious contender nationally. As long as we are living in the same neighborhood as Clemson, they are unlikely to hamstring us too badly. I would like to see TEXAS ranked #1 every year but not by virtue of our recruits' being paid their due in rankings but rather by virtue of having kicked everybody's ass in taking who we want. Changing our ranking without changing our players should be satisfying to the aggy in all of us, but I doubt there is anyone at Clemson losing sleep about how their players weren't ranked as highly as Bama's right now. If anything, it benefits us to have fantastic players somewhat underrated by the recruiting services so as to spotlight how TEXAS helps athletes excel by comparison of recruiting rank to subsequent on-field performance.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Recruiting rankings are important to TEXAS insofar as they confirm that we are a serious contender nationally. As long as we are living in the same neighborhood as Clemson, they are unlikely to hamstring us too badly. I would like to see TEXAS ranked #1 every year but not by virtue of our recruits' being paid their due in rankings but rather by virtue of having kicked everybody's ass in taking who we want. Changing our ranking without changing our players should be satisfying to the aggy in all of us, but I doubt there is anyone at Clemson losing sleep about how their players weren't ranked as highly as Bama's right now. If anything, it benefits us to have fantastic players somewhat underrated by the recruiting services so as to spotlight how TEXAS helps athletes excel by comparison of recruiting rank to subsequent on-field performance.

In other words, the sign of a good recruiting class is not necessarily the recruiting ranking (though there is high correlation, obviously), but the staff's success rate in landing their primary targets, if you think they know what they're doing when it comes to evaluations.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

Queue being called a coelenterate in 3 .... 2.....

See, using the word is contagious. You know you love it.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

I for one would welcome more taxonomic diversity in CTJ's insults. Might I suggest cyclostomes?

Pacific_hagfish_Myxine.jpg

I can honestly say that the longhorn football boards have been the lone place in my life, for two decades now, in which I have people regularly attempting to help broaden my vocabulary. It's quite breathtaking, really. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Good to hear. I’m all for modern recruiting practices, I’ve just yet to see it from the staff up to and including a certain OT in the 2019 class who has the same handler as Demas.

The issue is always going to be about the juice being worth the squeeze. Javonne Shepherd is checking all of the boxes for the criteria of a flop as a player, so how important is landing him, then, really?

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The issue is always going to be about the juice being worth the squeeze. Javonne Shepherd is checking all of the boxes for the criteria of a flop as a player, so how important is landing him, then, really?

Not even a four star for Rivals or ESPN. Do not want. 

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I dunno, seems to me that he's the kind of guy where the landing is the most important part.

giphy.webp

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

If JS comes here, puts his nose to the grindstone, contributes 2 good years on the line, and goes pro (unlikely but possible), that is better than using the scholarship for 3 GrTr rentals. With the talent we're seriously in on next year, is it enough better to warrant the much lower likelihood of payoff? There are going to be a lot of serviceable-to-desirable OL in the portal going forward. Not only is there a chance he never comes or contributes if he does, we have to ask to what extent he is a risk to damage the morale of other guys on the team. I hope I'm wrong, but I keep getting a red flag vibe on him.