Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The more I look at Card, the more that comes out, and the more we learn about the rest of the 2020 QB options, the more convicted I’ve become that he’s a great QB2 take. The problem is, he’s not being handled or recruited like a QB2. 

Before anyone calls me an imbecile or a meanie, consider at least that there are very few recruits during the Herman era that I’ve doubted. I’ve been vocal in promoting how well it appears that they’re evaluating and building the roster. 

That all considered, I don’t think Card has a body that will develop well enough to be a force in college. When measurements start coming out in spades over the next year on him, assuming he attends more camps and such, some of his dimensions are ... not good. In addition, his ability to add weight in order to be able to handle the beating that Herman’s offense puts QBs through is dubious. 

So, he looks like a Lake Travis system QB to me and I’m okay being mocked by that take and having it thrown in my face when I’m wrong. 

Just call him an athletic idiot and we will be good to go 

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

I really do not care what position he ends up at but this guy needs to be in an orange house. This is the guy who signs with TCU and fucks with us for 3-4 years. 

Ja'Quinden Jackson is a 5* type and will certainly be signing with a school better than TCU.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, thepop said:

RB, OL, DL. Roughly in that order. You could throw in a second QB in there.

I don’t even know what you do at QB anymore. Not to talk endlessly about this portal but it seems like the best you can hope for is a solid starter, an underclassman backup and freshman redshirting. We return everyone in 2020 so if we sign a good QB it’s likely we lose on of our current QB’s at the pace this is going. 

4 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

I think most people thought Card was an odd take for QB so early in the process. Given our new world of transfer, hopefully the staff pursues other options anyway.

Clemson's got a freshman QB who was good enough to start a few games last season. If he decides to look for more playing time elsewhere, I hope that we can snag him from the portal.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Spawn of Cthulhu said:

Clemson's got a freshman QB who was good enough to start a few games last season. If he decides to look for more playing time elsewhere, I hope that we can snag him from the portal.

We will not be attractive to any transfer for two more years. 

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I don’t even know what you do at QB anymore. Not to talk endlessly about this portal but it seems like the best you can hope for is a solid starter, an underclassman backup and freshman redshirting. We return everyone in 2020 so if we sign a good QB it’s likely we lose on of our current QB’s at the pace this is going. 

You have no choice but to sign 2 every other year. Or every 3 years. It is what it is.

3 minutes ago, thepop said:

You have no choice but to sign 2 every other year. Or every 3 years. It is what it is.

Well, in fairness our backups are transferring because our starter has two more years of eligibility and is a fucking boss. That’s the good news. I don’t think you have to sign two in any class if your depth chart is sorted already. One should plenty. Just to echo ctj’s comments, it needs to be a legit QB though. It doesn’t help to have to sign a QB2 because you have Case McCoy 2.0 commited and you cannot count on him. 

10 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

We will not be attractive to any transfer for two more years. 

I’d say we could be an attractive option next year when Sam is a senior and the transfer has to sit out a year. Of course they would be competing with Rojo, Card, QB2 in this class and probably Thompson

5 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Sam would be a junior next year.

I think he meant that the transfer QB would be a junior during the ‘19 season and that played 4 games or more so he would have to sit during Sam's senior year. I highly doubt we take him with RoJo and Thompson being here unless  Tom doesn’t like the development. 

But if Thompson flirted with the portal once already than who knows what Tom will do. 

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The more I look at Card, the more that comes out, and the more we learn about the rest of the 2020 QB options, the more convicted I’ve become that he’s a great QB2 take. The problem is, he’s not being handled or recruited like a QB2. 

Before anyone calls me an imbecile or a meanie, consider at least that there are very few recruits during the Herman era that I’ve doubted. I’ve been vocal in promoting how well it appears that they’re evaluating and building the roster. 

That all considered, I don’t think Card has a body that will develop well enough to be a force in college. When measurements start coming out in spades over the next year on him, assuming he attends more camps and such, some of his dimensions are ... not good. In addition, his ability to add weight in order to be able to handle the beating that Herman’s offense puts QBs through is dubious. 

So, he looks like a Lake Travis system QB to me and I’m okay being mocked by that take and having it thrown in my face when I’m wrong. 

On one hand, he's not a QB1. On the other hand, QB1s now transfer at a ridiculous rate, and whoever we'd land in 2020 would likely wait behind Roschon and then get passed by which ever 2021 QB who decide to take between Stone and Davis, both of whom appear to be studs, and a QB1 type would be more likely to transfer than Card, who might be happy to hang around and be an emergency backup 

I'm not sure if the Longview kid isn't a QB2 as well, and I don't see the point of taking two of them 

7 minutes ago, Fud said:

On one hand, he's not a QB1. On the other hand, QB1s now transfer at a ridiculous rate, and whoever we'd land in 2020 would likely wait behind Roschon and then get passed by which ever 2021 QB who decide to take between Stone and Davis, both of whom appear to be studs, and a QB1 type would be more likely to transfer than Card, who might be happy to hang around and be an emergency backup 

I'm not sure if the Longview kid isn't a QB2 as well, and I don't see the point of taking two of them 

Playing QB musical chairs each Season due to  portal will occasionally require signing a few QBs that will actually stick around for a couple years before ever playing.  

Edited by LTtxfan

14 minutes ago, Fud said:

The problem is that card thinks hes a qb1, is ranked like a qb1, and the media felates him as if he is a qb1. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

10 minutes ago, Fud said:

This is defeatist thinking, which is not your mantra. 

Take the best target willing to sign, not the local guy “because Lake Travis” and he’s willing to soak up a roster spot without drama. 

I don’t to want to belabor Card. Like I said, he looks like a fine QB2 take and he’s got limiting physical attributes. I’d like to see them be aggressive every year though. 

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The problem is that card thinks hes a qb1, is ranked like a qb1, and tge media thinks hes a qb1. 

That might be the best case then.

1. We get another QB1 in this class.

2. Card rides pine while Roschon does his.

3. Card transfers.

4. The other guy stays and either takes over for Roschon or bridges the gap to the next big thing.

5. Profit.

1 minute ago, rickyspub said:

That might be the best case then.

1. We get another QB1 in this class.

2. Card rides pine while Roschon does his.

3. Card transfers.

4. The other guy stays and either takes over for Roschon or bridges the gap to the next big thing.

5. Profit.

it was my impression that Card is a burnt orange kid. would being beaten out at QB make him transfer? or would he take a move to slot/WR where he has upside, just to stay at Texas?