Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

4 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

You’re saying he’s going to gargle balls?

The more I look at Card, the more that comes out, and the more we learn about the rest of the 2020 QB options, the more convicted I’ve become that he’s a great QB2 take. The problem is, he’s not being handled or recruited like a QB2. 

Before anyone calls me an imbecile or a meanie, consider at least that there are very few recruits during the Herman era that I’ve doubted. I’ve been vocal in promoting how well it appears that they’re evaluating and building the roster. 

That all considered, I don’t think Card has a body that will develop well enough to be a force in college. When measurements start coming out in spades over the next year on him, assuming he attends more camps and such, some of his dimensions are ... not good. In addition, his ability to add weight in order to be able to handle the beating that Herman’s offense puts QBs through is dubious. 

So, he looks like a Lake Travis system QB to me and I’m okay being mocked by that take and having it thrown in my face when I’m wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I think most people thought Card was an odd take for QB so early in the process. Given our new world of transfer, hopefully the staff pursues other options anyway.

FWIW, this QB is supposed to visit this weekend.

https://247sports.com/Player/Hunter-Dunn-46043170/

He's better known as Demas's new QB.

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The more I look at Card, the more that comes out, and the more we learn about the rest of the 2020 QB options, the more convicted I’ve become that he’s a great QB2 take. The problem is, he’s not being handled or recruited like a QB2. 

Before anyone calls me an imbecile or a meanie, consider at least that there are very few recruits during the Herman era that I’ve doubted. I’ve been vocal in promoting how well it appears that they’re evaluating and building the roster. 

That all considered, I don’t think Card has a body that will develop well enough to be a force in college. When measurements start coming out in spades over the next year on him, assuming he attends more camps and such, some of his dimensions are ... not good. In addition, his ability to add weight in order to be able to handle the beating that Herman’s offense puts QBs through is dubious. 

So, he looks like a Lake Travis system QB to me and I’m okay being mocked by that take and having it thrown in my face when I’m wrong. 

Would you say that Card is built like a coelenterate?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Machinator said:

If we want our 3 DL fronts to work against the elite teams, we have to land the Collins and Broughtons of the world. No excuses.

I agree with you to a degree since elite talent trumps all, but we just pistol whipped Georgia with three and low four star guys who had been developed. We need a mix of both. 

39 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think this is a pretty fair post, but I am in the camp that we should recruit the best Westlake or LT QB every other cycle. The numbers bear out over the last 20 years that you would have done quite well with that approach since there are three with Super Bowl rings and a #1 overall pick. That doesnt mean they have to be your QB1, and we have a perfect excuse to take two blue chips this cycle and definitely should. We should have more room for error with Card since he is local.

• Like 1

Do we want Jackson as QB2? I would be down. We seem to be in on a lot of talented safeties and I don’t buy the LB talk with him. Supposedly he has become a little more open to the idea... I’m sure he is “raw” but he is just so fuckin athletic and explosive. Hopefully wouldn’t be Chiles 2.0

5 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

Do we want Jackson as QB2? I would be down. We seem to be in on a lot of talented safeties and I don’t buy the LB talk with him. Supposedly he has become a little more open to the idea... I’m sure he is “raw” but he is just so fuckin athletic and explosive. Hopefully wouldn’t be Chiles 2.0

Take Jackson and Card and whoever doesn’t end up at QB can play another position. WR for Card and where’ve the hell he wants for Jackson (WR, S, LB)

2 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

With the new wave of QB recruiting,  we need to zero in on these designated athletes that play qb in hs and keep them warm to the qb room for emergency situations while also developing them at the position they will potentially have the most upside. 

I was yelling at my tv a few years ago that if Charlie had a brain that he would have had qb tryouts and db's and wr's that played QB in the past to at least explore the idea of getting production from the position when we sucked.

With that said, we do have Wiley. He can take a snap. He can be qb5.

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Garth committing would be a blow to Looch/aggy.  Looch just said he's a "must get" for aggy.

As any recruiting expert, like fattyflattie, will tell you, the only thing that matters in recruiting is perception. Obviously Herman has been waiting for Looch to name Garth a must get until he pushes for a commitment. #mensachessnotcheckersmyfriendlol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Butch Had Not said:

I was yelling at my tv a few years ago that if Charlie had a brain that he would have had qb tryouts and db's and wr's that played QB in the past to at least explore the idea of getting production from the position when we sucked.

With that said, we do have Wiley. He can take a snap. He can be qb5.

I bet you’re also a Madden champ, aren’t you? 

12 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

As any recruiting expert, like fattyflattie, will tell you, the only thing that matters in recruiting is perception. Obviously Herman has been waiting for Looch to name Garth a must get until he pushes for a commitment. #mensachessnotcheckersmyfriendlol

Herman should also take all of looch's top 44 players. You know for perception. Can they play? Doesn't matter.  Perception matters.

Just now, Butch Had Not said:

Herman should also take all of looch's top 44 players. You know for perception. Can they play? Doesn't matter.  Perception matters.

By doing so, they would all fall out of the top 44 since they'd be Texas commits, and we'd have to get the new guys, but he'd just rerank the old ones. It's an impossible dream.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

With the new wave of QB recruiting,  we need to zero in on these designated athletes that play qb in hs and keep them warm to the qb room for emergency situations while also developing them at the position they will potentially have the most upside. 

That sounds good,  but not so sure it works very well. A lot of time you'll get a good athlete sitting in the QB room not contributing much.  

I know that what Herman wants in a QB is pretty hard to find,  but I would take a great passer over a great runner.  The key is getting a good run game where the QB doesn't have to run a lot.  I think we are on the way to that.  

• Like 1

I agree with you 100%. We are taking a gamble on our “#1” QB spot. I’ve thought that since the day he committed. I love that we have a commitment from him, but it would be great if we could sign another top one.

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I agree with you 100%. We are taking a gamble on our “#1” QB spot. I’ve thought that since the day he committed. I love that we have a commitment from him, but it would be great if we could sign another top one.

I'm not sure how viable it is to sign two "top" QBs anymore, especially since the QB room doesn't look wide open like it did in the 2018 cycle.

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I'm not sure how viable it is to sign two "top" QBs anymore, especially since the QB room doesn't look wide open like it did in the 2018 cycle.

This is what I'm saying, new qb recruiting is gonna consist of legacy commits and pwo's, athletes willing to dabble at qb while honing their skillset at their premium position, and the single elite. 

ASU got 3 somehow but we all know how that will end.

Edited by Butch Had Not
Punctuation

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

How much longer for that avatar?

Gotta think another 6-8 months. He adopted it well after the bet closed and then he hid from the boards for like 3-4 months in obvious shame. Which, I of all people get. 

I would suggest Labor Day. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Nice. One comment you disagree with and Ive taken residence in your head. Seems very...aggy.