Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

5 minutes ago, futureman said:

thought I’d read here that he sucks as a passer but he runs all over the field like elroy hirsch. 

I hope we take Jackson as a QB/Ath put a RS on him and see what happens but Card definitely isn’t a bad take his Jr stats in 15 games 3543 yards 68% completion 50/4 TD/INT. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

It’s been reported that he’s starting to warm up to the idea, after what he did in the playoffs it’s hard not to see him starting there wherever he ends up. 

I think it was EJ (after asking some kind of loaded question like "You remind me of Cam Newton, would you like to be Cam Newton")

8 hours ago, bEastTexas said:

Card definitely isn’t a bad take his Jr stats in 15 games 3543 yards 68% completion 50/4 TD/INT. 

well that’s really good.  was it in the playoffs that he did not play well?  could’ve sworn I read somewhere here that some team ate his lunch and he couldn’t complete passes but was running around really well.  whatever.  he’s young.  glad to have him. 

26 minutes ago, futureman said:

well that’s really good.  was it in the playoffs that he did not play well?  could’ve sworn I read somewhere here that some team ate his lunch and he couldn’t complete passes but was running around really well.  whatever.  he’s young.  glad to have him. 

I heard he looked terrible against Westlake

1 hour ago, futureman said:

As stated above I think he had a couple bad games against Westlaks and North Shore but both of those teams had great defenses this year. He also had several games where he lit it up, I’m interested to see how he does on the camp scene this spring and summer. 

1 hour ago, WBT said:

North Shore completely shut down Lake Travis's offense.  It started with the DL dominating the OL.

This, North Shore kicked LT's ass in a way I have never seen. That one game should not really dictate our feelings on Card. He is a really good prospect who is still growing, but we absolutely need a second QB in this cycle. 

1 hour ago, bEastTexas said:

As stated above I think he had a couple bad games against Westlaks and North Shore but both of those teams had great defenses this year. He also had several games where he lit it up, I’m interested to see how he does on the camp scene this spring and summer. 

I’m still unsure what to think of Card at this point, but Lake Travis’ OL was significantly worse this year than usual, so they really got eaten up by good defenses and didn’t give Card much of a chance.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 2

We have one OL from the 2016 classwho will be around in 2020 (Okafor, not counting hudson until he shows he can stay healthy)

We took 2 OL in 2017, 4 in 2018, and will take 2-3 HS OL in 2019. 

That leaves us with 10-11 OL in 2020 besides freshmen. We need to load the fuck up on OL in 2020. I think it needs to be a class of at least 5 and we should try to hit 6 if the quality is there.

We need to get 4-5 of Lindbergh, Parr, Majors, Garth, and George and then see who pops up late in the cycle. 

This class is going to be about the lines. We need to take 4-5 on the DL and 5-6 on the OL and they need to be blue chippers. Time for that Sugar Bowl win to start paying dividends.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, texifornia said:

*trigger warning: Stanford and OL* He's supposed to really like tree, too.

You really are a jellyfish when it comes to Stanford.It feels like you insert them into the conversation about OLs at every turn. 

Shaw did a great job transitioning the program after Harbaugh. They had a great 7-8ish year run. Now Shaw's staff has degraded on him a bit. I don't see them as a perennial Top 15 program, and if they slip and fall back into the abyss, mediocrity is their historical norm and there isn't a "football is fundamental to the university" culture there. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few years and how often we hear about Stanford in the next few classes, outside of handwringing from you, sarvanaash and a few others.

35 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

Mike Roach has said a few times recently that if Texas pushes for Majors they could lock him down, I hope we can get it done this weekend. 

If Texas felt they absolutely had to have Majors, there's a good shot he'd be a commitment right now. It will be interesting to see if they push. Numbers are already shifting on the staff for 2020. Sounds like they didn't expect to lose both QBs and they may not be enamored with their late 2019 options beyond another dude or two. Grad transfer market looks really good for Texas on filling some gaps for 2019 too.

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You really are a jellyfish when it comes to Stanford.It feels like you insert them into the conversation about OLs at every turn. 

Shaw did a great job transitioning the program after Harbaugh. They had a great 7-8ish year run. Now Shaw's staff has degraded on him a bit. I don't see them as a perennial Top 15 program, and if they slip and fall back into the abyss, mediocrity is their historical norm and there isn't a "football is fundamental to the university" culture there. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few years and how often we hear about Stanford in the next few classes, outside of handwringing from you, sarvanaash and a few others.

If Texas felt they absolutely had to have Majors, there's a good shot he'd be a commitment right now. It will be interesting to see if they push. Numbers are already shifting on the staff for 2020. Sounds like they didn't expect to lose both QBs and they may not be enamored with their late 2019 options beyond another dude or two. Grad transfer market looks really good for Texas on filling some gaps for 2019 too.

Chill out, I only posted that because it's what I'd read on the board. The trigger warning was a joke.

Hopefully the 2020 class ends up being biggish - the lines look great.

Edited by texifornia

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Chill out, I only posted that because it's what I'd read on the board. The trigger warning was a joke.

I just declared Stanford dead to us as a threat and your response is about calling you a coelenterate. I figured you'd at least put up a defense for you fanboi school or something.

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Frankly, this is an ideal ending:

• Use another couple of scholarships from 2019 on guys that we think are worth it.
  • Save the rest.  But don't waste the open roster spots.  Continue to address depth/talent issues through the GT market.
  • Use those saved scholarships in 2020 where we've got (i) an earlier start than we did in 2018 and (ii) a better start because we're not going up against Jimbo and Riley in their first full cycles as HC.

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I just declared Stanford dead to us as a threat and your response is about calling you a coelenterate. I figured you'd at least put up a defense for you fanboi school or something.

Hey I'm stoked about that, and will 100% buy in after we get through a cycle where they don't swipe an OL we want. 

I went to Cal games growing up, I want Stanford to be bad.

Edited by texifornia

Just now, closetojumping said:

You overuse this word.

On 12/26/2018 at 1:58 PM, closetojumping said:

You have me confused with someone who has offered a position on an outlook for 2019, but you’re projecting anyway, as you need a straw man to continue to feel justified in tilting at this windmill. My dick post was a quote from Ghostbusters that flew by your pea-sized brain. You do post like a coelenterate and then you fail to understand the logic flaw in turning around and lamenting posters with sandy vaginas. I guess the only reason I don’t have you on ignore yet is due to the unintentional, if honest, comedy that you provide.  

On 10/8/2018 at 8:43 PM, closetojumping said:

Sit there, wait for me to occasionally not hit a recruiting prediction, which will keep happening because that’s recruiting, and post about it. But in the end, you’ve got nothing on your own and you’re adding nothing either. You’re just a coelenterate. 

On 8/20/2018 at 3:41 PM, closetojumping said:

They're just a bunch of coelenterates yelling "kick his ass!" from the back of the crowd. They're the kind of individuals who cheer for the gang when a person gets jumped, and they've found their niche of other hermaphroditic douches to congregate with on those websites. 

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Majors is an interesting prospect. He has great flexibility all the way through his lower body and uses that to explode through blocks with his hips instead of standing straight up. He’s got good not great feet. 

To me, the real question is his size. He’s listed at 6’4, 280 lbs. but he looks smaller than that. My guess is if the staff slowplays him some it’s because he’s smaller than listed, so he’s not quite as much of a priority and they think they can find higher ceiling guys as the process goes on.