Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

5 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

As probably one of the younger posters on this board I want to really drive home just how inundated secondary education has become with aggies I never had single UT grad as a teacher and only one as a counselor, but easily over half of my teachers and coaches where ags. 

i'm not a teacher either, but please let me spot you some punctuation.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

IT on Junior Days

Spoiler

Q: Eric/Justin - Do you have any insight into the recruiting event schedule for the spring - Junior Days, other events, etc? Any favorites for early commits?

EN: There will be a Junior Day in February (they don’t like the day being broadcasted) and then you’ll see similar to last year, kids visiting for scrimmages and the spring game throughout March and April. Hopefully some good football players participate in the Texas Relays and State as well.

I don’t see anyone in a huge hurry to commit right now but we’ll have a better feel for that around Junior Day.

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/01/open-post-wednesday-january-16th/

Quick Hitters | Umanmielan, Price & Graham
– CJ Vogel

*** 2020 defensive line target Princely Umanmielan visited Texas over the weekend. He let me know he planned on getting back to Austin this coming weekend which will be followed by a trip to Oklahoma for their junior day at the end of the month. Texas is in a good spot here right now.

*** Touched base with 2019 JUCO offensive lineman Jimmy Price (Tyler JC) who said he is hoping to hear from Texas. He currently hears a lot from Baylor and he expects Texas to join in should he receive a Baylor offer. Something to keep an eye on.

*** Spoke with 2020 wide receiver DJ Graham who mentioned that he has not heard from staff in a while. Texas will need to pick up the communication if they have plans on going after Graham as he is headed to Norman for their junior day at the end of the month as well.

Weekend Visitors
– Andrew King

I was out of town for most of last weekend and not around a computer. But the dead period ended and Texas hosted three defensive lineman over the weekend.

*** The first was Cedar Creek (TX) ’20 defensive end Alfred Collins, who has been a frequent visitor in Austin since picking up his offer in September. He attended multiple home games during the season and the fact he was back in Austin for the first weekend after the dead period speaks to his interest. Collins finished his junior season with 92 tackles, 25 tackles for loss, and 6 sacks.

He and the coaches went to Texas’ basketball game on Saturday. Collins told me he spent a lot of time with Tom Herman, but really enjoyed spending time with the entire staff. Another thing to note is that Collins’ mother played basketball at Texas.  And the Longhorns seem to be the leader in this recruitment so far.

*** The next was Manor (TX) ’20 defensive end Princely Umanmielen. He’s a top priority for Texas and is right in the Longhorns backyard. Right now some see Oklahoma as the biggest threat to Texas, and CJ has noted that he’ll be in Norman for their Junior Day later this month. But getting Umanmielen on campus right after the dead period is good news. And with the fact that he’s so close to Austin, getting him back on campus shouldn’t be an issue.

*** The final one was Tompkins (TX) ’21 defensive end Tunmise Adeleye. Who is going to be one of the top 2021 defensive lineman in the state of Texas. He’a already 6’3 260 as a sophomore and has offers from Alabama, LSU, Texas A&M, and others along with Texas. Adeleye finished his sophomore season with 58 tackles, 12 tackles for loss, and 8 sacks.

Adeleye told me “The visit was great. I had a good talk with Coach Herman. He was really selling me on UT’s program like any other coach, but he didn’t feel fake to me at all. He talked about the Nigerian players and the Nigerian defensive lineman that have come to Texas and had a lot of success.” Right now Adeleye plans to visit Oklahoma later this month, Texas A&M on the first weekend in February, and he wants to get down to LSU at some point. But I really like where Texas sits in this one so far.

1 minute ago, Lonestar88 said:

Saban is making the rounds around the DFW today. He's been all over the place, including Cedar Hill and Duncanville.

DFW recruiting for us has been piss poor, we really need to land the Duncanville duo.

At least for Duncanville we have an "in" with Samples.

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Which Cali. recruit(s) look like good bets to be in  this class?  I'm not sure if any have visited ( yet ).  The RB Milton, the big 5* WR, and this new DL offer would be nice to get a couple of them.

None are "good bets" so far. With most OOS recruitments, you have to see who shows up and visits before saying much - look at the Chris Steele experience.

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Which Cali. recruit(s) look like good bets to be in  this class?  I'm not sure if any have visited ( yet ).  The RB Milton, the big 5* WR, and this new DL offer would be nice to get a couple of them.

There's no such thing as a "good bet" in OOS recruiting. Even Mookie Cooper should probably be walked back from "lock" to "lean".