Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

6 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

McGowan is an insane athlete, I'd go hard after him too. I don't think Evans would mind being in the same class with him and he'd be a good #1 RB take if Evans goes elsewhere.

Trust me, it's not possible to miss such heavy-handedness. It's just not that interesting.

Nah, you missed it.

I even said "or wa$ it?" in the post itself, meaning not even I think it's that interesting. 

9 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

McGowan is an insane athlete, I'd go hard after him too. I don't think Evans would mind being in the same class with him and he'd be a good #1 RB take if Evans goes elsewhere.

I'm not sure if Evans would mind or not,  but you do have to go hard after both, then some. 

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

I'm a big fan. In most classes, he'd be RB1 in Texas, but he's probably RB3 or 4 in this class, depending on whether or not you like EJ Smith more. McGowan plus Evans or McClellan would be an A+. 

I've always just assumed Smith was going to Florida.

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

Nah, you missed it.

I even said "or wa$ it?" in the post itself, meaning not even I think it's that interesting. 

lol, ok man.

Just now, Lonestar88 said:

I've always just assumed Smith was going to Florida.

A&M thinks they can get him because his sister goes there or something. 

From what I've heard, he's pretty wide open. He lacks top end speed, but is a really skilled RB with great feel and vision. Reminds me of a smaller Keaontay Ingram. He's also elite as a WR from the backfield. 

Here we go.  Perroni article on how the top guys in-state this year and next will all be aggy/bama' battles.

* he did say Broughton isn't high on aggy at the moment.

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/LongFormArticle/Texas-AM-Alabama-recruiting-battles-127430266/#127430266_1

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

1 minute ago, Fud said:

A&M thinks they can get him because his sister goes there or something. 

From what I've heard, he's pretty wide open. He lacks top end speed, but is a really skilled RB with great feel and vision. Reminds me of a smaller Keaontay Ingram. He's also elite as a WR from the backfield. 

aggy thinks they can get everyone, but yeah, his sister plays soccer there I believe. I can't imagine that will be the bigger familial connection though.

13 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

The only game I saw Evans in was vs Duncanville.  North Shore had another back that was pretty dam good,  I believe Gentry was his name.  Evans shared quite a few carries with him all during the game.  

I believe you're right Evans wouldn't have a problem in a class with two great backs.  

2 hours ago, NoName said:

this isn't 100% correct (yellow = transfer portal, red = may medically retire?) - it's an updated version of the IT Football Roster Table

12 total SRs - without considering grad transfers

• 1 RB (Kirk Johnson)
  • 4 WR (Burt, Duvernay, Humphrey, Johnson)
  • 1 OL (Shackelford - Okafor got his RS)
  • 3 DT (Chisholm, Christmas, Wilbon)
  • 2 LB (McCulloch, Roach)
  • 1 DB (Brandon Jones)

This assumes that Buechele transfers and that BJones comes back

Hide contents

4NENw8.png

I counted 55 going off that chart.  Wouldn't that mean we could technically sign 30 for 2019 counting grad transfers?  Seems like it should be easy to take 20+ for this class.  Or am I missing something?

I usually just smile politely and walk away when $9.95 site information is passed along, or when recruit rankings are released/updated/dissected, etc. But perusing the Georgia fan site, I saw a link that piqued my curiosity.

247's list of most talented teams based on recruit rankings for the entire roster.

It's eerily predictive, when you look at it. There are obviously some outliers who either over- or under- perform, but the names on this list for the most part are roughly where they should be. I was a little (not a lot) surprised to see Ohio State ahead of Alabama, for example, but otherwise, it seems pretty spot on.

The question, really, is how long will it take for Texas to move up from #9? Do we start jumping towards elite status in the 2020 class? Or is it going to take a few more years? Do we have a good sense yet of who the potential 5* guys we might get this year would be? And more tenuously, do we have a similar idea for the schools ahead of us on this list? If we're taking a smaller 2020 class, are we at risk of falling backwards?

4 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I usually just smile politely and walk away when $9.95 site information is passed along, or when recruit rankings are released/updated/dissected, etc. But perusing the Georgia fan site, I saw a link that piqued my curiosity.

247's list of most talented teams based on recruit rankings for the entire roster.

It's eerily predictive, when you look at it. There are obviously some outliers who either over- or under- perform, but the names on this list for the most part are roughly where they should be. I was a little (not a lot) surprised to see Ohio State ahead of Alabama, for example, but otherwise, it seems pretty spot on.

The question, really, is how long will it take for Texas to move up from #9? Do we start jumping towards elite status in the 2020 class? Or is it going to take a few more years? Do we have a good sense yet of who the potential 5* guys we might get this year would be? And more tenuously, do we have a similar idea for the schools ahead of us on this list? If we're taking a smaller 2020 class, are we at risk of falling backwards?

Its going to take a while to get to where Texas has a roster with 10-15 5 stars.   Even in a great year you're only looking at 3 or 4 in a class.

2 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Not sure why it should be "eerie."  For a decade + now, we've had stats telling us that recruiting rankings generally correlate to and are predictive of success.

I think you missed the first sentence in his post:

14 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I usually just smile politely and walk away when $9.95 site information is passed along, or when recruit rankings are released/updated/dissected, etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Walden Ponderer said:
6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I think you missed the first sentence in his post:

No, actually, he has a point. I've known all along that it was roughly predictive. I just didn't realize how overwhelming that correlation is. 

Huzzah! I win the internet today!

24 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Rank WV, OK State, Maryland, in terms of where you think they sit  and  then go look.  Surprising, at least to me. 

9 minutes ago, TheAuditor said:

Rank WV, OK State, Maryland, in terms of where you think they sit  and  then go look.  Surprising, at least to me. 

I knew WV and Ok State frequently way overperform. I was not aware, however, of how horribly Maryland underperforms. Explains why they are able to occasionally overcome their awful coaching -- they are far more talented than their results would indicate.

Just now, Walden Ponderer said:

I knew WV and Ok State frequently way overperform. I was not aware, however, of how horribly Maryland underperforms. Explains why they are able to occasionally overcome their awful coaching -- they are far more talented than their results would indicate.

Yep,  right with you.  If you gave me the rankings and told me to match them, I would have guessed WV where Maryland was.   Thanks for posting the link - good stuff. 

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Even the most talented teams aren't immune from shitty coaching, bad evaluations, and bad roster management.

Thought there might be some correlation between recruiting link and this.  https://www.teamrankings.com/ncf/trends/ats_trends/

If there is,  don't see it - but another interesting look at teams/performance. 

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Probably not until we get the 2017 class off our books. Which will bring with it some on-field uncertainty.

5 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Here we go.  Perroni article on how the top guys in-state this year and next will all be aggy/bama' battles.

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/LongFormArticle/Texas-AM-Alabama-recruiting-battles-127430266/#127430266_1

This is in Mad Men when Ted Chaough picks up Clearasil as an account claims that "every time Don Draper looks in his rear view mirror he sees me" -- Talk about themselves as if they're on the same level as Bama and hope that ppl reading it will make the same error

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Time to raid Arizona and California.

Doesn't appear to much for OL/DL in Cali. for 2020.  Would love to get the LB Flowe.

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=Highschool&State=CA

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

48 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Probably not until we get the 2017 class off our books. Which will bring with it some on-field uncertainty.

This is in Mad Men when Ted Chaough picks up Clearasil as an account claims that "every time Don Draper looks in his rear view mirror he sees me" -- Talk about themselves as if they're on the same level as Bama and hope that ppl reading it will make the same error

Well, he describes Alabama as a "thorn in A&M's side." That's evidently a high honor since Texas isn't.

2 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

more relevant reading info here: https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/8/22/17606048/blue-chip-ratio-2018

21 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Posted by TFLoss. 

The brother of 2020 RB Zach Evans on UT's position in his recruitment (OrangeBloods)

"Yes. When they beat Georgia it put UT at #1 and moved Georgia," Robinson said.

Thank you for sourcing but not giving credit to TFloss. This way I know where you got it, but I know he didn't say it. I'm sure some of the other "totally normal" posters on the board will agree with me.

Edited by Ricky Butler

I am sure that USC will have no problem with hiring a top offensive coordinator, that said coordinator will fit in well with the existing position coaches, that the players will love him and be happy Kliff left, that they will not choke their talent away by underperforming again next year, and that CH and LS will have long and storied futures in the USC athletic department.

EDIT sorry wrong thread really

Edited by Magus Ossis

8 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Such a fucking beating to read.  Starving for validation with the death grip on Bamas ankle is so embarrassing.