Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

We might end up with 2 of the top 3 in our class:

1. Hudson Card, Lake Travis (Texas) High

Card, who is the No. 3 dual threat quarterback in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite in the class of 2020, stood out above everyone else. He had zip on his passes, he was accurate and although his delivery is bit long, it can be shortened and not lose the arm strength. He looked particularly good in the 7-on-7 portion as he made quick reads and threw the ball into some tight windows.

2. Shedeur Sanders, Cedar Hill (Texas) Trinity Christian

Sanders, who is the son of NFL Hall of Famer Deion Sanders, was impressive in the early portion, especially given he is a class of 2021 prospect. The ball came out of his hand freely, and it spun well. He was accurate and his arm strength was on display. He forced some passes in the 7-0n-7 portion but also got it through some tight windows. He has a high ceiling and the experience will do him well. He also threw a few beautiful touch passes on corner post routes. His litany of offers includes Florida State, Florida, Georgia, LSU and Baylor.

3. Ja'Quinden Jackson, Duncanville (Texas) High

Jackson is the No. 2 athlete in the 247Sports Composite class of 2020, but he played quarterback and did a nice job. He had a strong arm, strode into his throws well and he was accurate on short and intermediate throws. When it came 7-on-7 time, he was not as accurate but he made several nice throws into tight windows and got through his progressions. He did not forces passes. Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas A&M are among the schools to offer him

• Like 2

All this talk about “frames” piques my senses of curiosity and skepticism. How wide the shoulders are depends largely on the shape of the upper chest wall and the length of the clavicles. The clavicle is usually the last bone to quit growing, with documented age at fusion as great as 32. It would be interesting to see good objective documentation of the skeletal determinants of “frame” at age 16 (when men, on average, otherwise finish most bone growth) and again at 20 and 24 years. True waist is not really related to the frame, but “hips” are basically a reflection of pelvic size/shape. The pelvis typically finishes growing by 17.

5 hours ago, kevwun said:

I'm not even a coach, I know.  Skinny suys with narrow waists and shoulders don't usually put on 40 or 50 pounds of muscle though.

I know it's different positions, but a lot of people talked about how LJH would never be able to put on muscle and weight because of his small waist.

• Like 1

He had broad shoulders and is much taller.  Card isn't built like that.

You’re right. But lucky for us Card doesn’t need to run like Sam (or LJH). He can run around avoiding contact and picking up big yards like that little Ewok bastard up north.

Herman doesn’t need his QB to be a tank like Sam (or Cardale), he’s shown he can win with quick twitch guys too.
  • Like 1

You’re right. But lucky for us Card doesn’t need to run like Sam (or LJH). He can run around avoiding contact and picking up big yards like that little Ewok bastard up north.

Herman doesn’t need his QB to be a tank like Sam (or Cardale), he’s shown he can win with quick twitch guys too.

This 16/17 year old kid hasn't gotten touched by Yancy yet and we're already conceding he'll never weigh more than 185 pounds.

'Crootin board special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

This 16/17 year old kid hasn't gotten touched by Yancy yet and we're already conceding he'll never weigh more than 185 pounds.

'Crootin board special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We" have done nothing of the sort. Kevwun has decided that Card isn't going to hack it, physically. The rest of us are ridiculing him. 

So it seems like Sylvester is really wanting a longhorn offer.  He has some good offers.  I know people have mentioned that there is a handler with some of these Newton kids.  Is this why the staff doesn’t seem to be pushing?  Is he not a “culture” fit?  Or is he simply not as talented as other DL in state?

21 minutes ago, victory88 said:

So it seems like Sylvester is really wanting a longhorn offer.  He has some good offers.  I know people have mentioned that there is a handler with some of these Newton kids.  Is this why the staff doesn’t seem to be pushing?  Is he not a “culture” fit?  Or is he simply not as talented as other DL in state?

Newton doesn't have that issue anymore. I haven't heard anything to say that Sylvester or Barlow are bad kids. Tam Brown is another story. 

Regarding Sylvester, I think Giles (or maybe the staff) just likes others like Broughton, Collins, Princely, and Dorbah more

1 minute ago, Fud said:

Newton doesn't have that issue anymore. I haven't heard anything to say that Sylvester or Barlow are bad kids. Tam Brown is another story. 

Regarding Sylvester, I think Giles (or maybe the staff) just likes others like Broughton, Collins, Princely, and Dorbah more

As we've learned in the 2019 cycle, there's no reason to keep backup plans warm, when we have four people we like more than them.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Katfid54 said:

As we've learned in the 2019 cycle, there's no reason to keep backup plans warm, when we have four people we like more than them.

Also, Princely Unaimaiinimannama might be the type of kid that they pass on due to a poor.. personality fit?

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

Whoa, the guys in Newton cleaned up their act in regards to handlers? That's news to me, not that I'm super duper plugged into that area or anything, but a couple months ago this was generally accepted.