Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

18 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

That's what I'm hoping for. He seems genuine about Texas, but his recruiting hasn't even picked up yet, so we'll see if he needs money or not. I hope not. 

Problem with any of us is that when a stack of bills or financial security is presented in front of us,  the temptation may may be too great for even those with the greatest moral compass. 

1 minute ago, Butch Had Not said:

Problem with any of us is that when a stack of bills or financial security is presented in front of us,  the temptation may may be too great for even those with the greatest moral compass. 

Exactly. That's what worries me. I'm hoping he's more like Whittington and less like Demas. I guess we'll find out when he releases his top whatever. Unless he pulls a Demas and commits to a school he didn't list. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

17 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Exactly. That's what worries me. I'm hoping he's more like Whittington and less like Demas. I guess we'll find out when he releases his top whatever. Unless he pulls a Demas and commits to a school he didn't list. 

His main pic on twitter is with Carrington.  He was also tweeting all kinds of Texas stuff after the Georgia win.  

But yeah, this one is going to go all the way to the end.  

Pretty sure Evans has visited us more than anyone else.  Just keep getting him on campus.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Like 1

So I was looking at the list of recruits and it looks like these are the guys that we'll mainly be going head-to-head with for against aggy.  Make any corrections if I miss someone.

Zach Evans 

Troy Omeire

Chris Thompson

Jaylon Jones

Vernon Broughton

I guess to a lesser extent you can add Lindberg, Garth, Washington, maybe Damien George.

I didn't even bother with Mcglothern.

We all know the deal with Demas.

Spoiler

Galena Park North Shore running back Zachary Evans is one of the nation's most-sought after recruit in the 2020 class, and he just made a lot of schools unhappy, and a very few happy Sunday night as he announced his top-11 schools, and Oklahoma State made that list.

The five-star running back took to Twitter to make the announcement.

Evans is a 6-foot, 205-pound running back that's drawn the attention of every major school in the country as he's received offers from 37 schools prior to announcing his top-11 schools. Those schools he named along with Oklahoma State are Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Missouri, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Penn State, Texas, Texas A&M and Washington.

The dynamic back had an incredibly busy spring and summer before he kicked off a stellar junior season. He started his spring by taking an unofficial visit to Oklahoma State and followed that with unofficial visits to Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Alabama, Auburn, back to A&M and Baylor to wrap up the summer. Once he started his junior season, you could tell those visits weren't on his mind as he finished with nearly 1,800 rushing yards and 29 touchdowns en route to leading North Short to a thrilling 6A Division 1 State Championship win over Duncanville that ended with a hail mary on the final play of the game giving the Mustangs a 41-36 victory.

In fact, the thrilling win over Duncanville was good enough to lift North Shore over Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei in MaxPreps final top-25 ranking of the season.

That season was good enough to land him as a First-Team All-American by MaxPreps, an All-USA First-Team by USA Today and a All-USA Team Football First-Team.

His sophomore season was just as impressive as he finished with nearly 1,500 yards and 27 touchdowns.

It's not something that Oklahoma State has been able to hang their hat on in recent years, but has really grown under coach Josh Henson is the offensive line depth and quality play. Coach Henson has recruited and signed nine very talented war pigs in the two years he's been over the line play and something that Evans told the Texas 247 site after the state title game, “My biggest factor is the offensive line,” Evans said. “I don’t want to go to a school without big boys upfront. I want some bullies. I don’t want to run behind any kids.”

I'm not saying that the Pokes have better offensive lines that Oklahoma, Alabama or any of the other schools in his top-11, but Josh Henson is going to go a long way in Oklahoma State being able to recruit backs like Evans.

I was scrolling through his recruiting profile and he's an analysis of Evans that characterizes Evans as, by the time he's done with prep football, could be one of the best players to come out of Texas in a long time:

2COMMENTS

"I’ve heard him characterized as a straight line runner but he can make people miss at the line of scrimmage although it’s not something that you see often out of him. Evans is also a patient runner and moving behind a big offensive line he is willing to let them set his blocks up. Finally, his great hand/eye coordination enables him to be a factor in the screen game and you don’t see that much out of high school backs. The concerns about him are the fact that he runs upright, absorbs a lot of punishment as opposed to avoiding it, and has a tendency to get redirected east/west too often trying to outleg people to the sidelines. He’s at his best when he gets deep, aligns those shoulders north and south, and gets going quickly."

Evans is the No. 2 overall recruit regardless of position in the 2020 class, the No. 1 overall running back and the No. 1 overall player from Texas according to the industry generated 247Sports Composite.

7 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

His main pic on twitter is with Carrington.  He was also tweeting all kinds of Texas stuff after the Georgia win.  

But yeah, this one is going to go all the way to the end.  

Pretty sure Evans has visited us more than anyone else.  Just keep getting him on campus.

He's been here several times, but the way Jimbo actively cheats, it no longer means anything. However, I'm glad he's repping Texas and showing love after the win. Coming from a kid that rarely says anything, that's huge. 

2020+ info from IT's Scoop

Spoiler

OL Chad Lindberg, Clear Creek: The in-state top 10 talent recently returned home from Orlando where he participated in the Under Armour Future 50 event. Here are some quotes you'll like:

"Future 50 was good. Good experience and got a lot of stuff. Did well on the drills then twisted an ankle first rep of 1on1s lol but it’s all good. 1on1s aren’t football. Give me pads and I'd clean those DL guys up."

"Watched the Texas game with Hudson Card and Zach Evans. We all enjoyed it."

I mentioned earlier in the year Evans told me he wanted to play with the 6-foot-6, 305 pound road-grader.

"Yeah that’s the plan. We spent a lot of time with each other in Orlando. He cares about playing with me and Damieon George."

Texas has also offered Damieon George who would certainly tuck neatly in a 5-6 man offensive line class.

What about the spring, big man?

"I don’t have any plans set up but I’ll go as many places as I can. I’ll see LSU and Texas for sure."
I told him he'll be the smartest person in Louisiana the second he crosses the border. No offense @roschonsbigbro or any other Louisiana dwellers.

UT has a long way to go with Lindberg, but I doubt they'd trade their position with any other school.

The number will be 5-6 for the position in the class and landing Lindberg would be perhaps the biggest piece.

CB Avery Helm, Fort Bend Marshall: In what should have been a magical season, the junior corner lost a teammate to a domestic altercation and tore his ACL. Despite that, Helm stays optimistic and upbeat. "I should be back full in the spring but the summer is where I’m really going to take my game to another level."

He's certainly one of my favorite corners in the class, and I told him I hoped the injury didn't hurt his communication with college coaches. He said communication has remained great with schools and UT is one of the schools he plans to visit this spring.

Because of the injury his process might have slowed down a little, offer-wise, but the kid is a talent who could blow up. He received a very early Utah offer (good indicator) and also one from LSU in October.

OL Donovan Jackson, Bellaire Episcopal: Despite being rated a 92 by 247, I think it's clear Jackson will be in the five-star conversation eventually. There's a little Kenyon Green to him. Jackson had a hell of a combine in San Antonio, finishing on the all-combine team. His father, Todd, didn't have his son's size listing from the event yet, but he said Donovan measured 6-foot-5, 305 pounds when they visited Alabama for the Iron Bowl.

I asked him what visits they had planned for the spring an he said, "Nothing set yet. Waiting for schedules to come out but thinking UT, Bama, UGA to start." My next question was going to be about the Sugar Bowl but after he mentioned wanting to visit Georgia I shelved it. I didn't want to sound like I was drawing a distinction between the two schools. It's safe to say UT is in good early shape here.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

How many Srs. will we have next year?

this isn't 100% correct (yellow = transfer portal, red = may medically retire?) - it's an updated version of the IT Football Roster Table

12 total SRs - without considering grad transfers

• 1 RB (Kirk Johnson)
  • 4 WR (Burt, Duvernay, Humphrey, Johnson)
  • 1 OL (Shackelford - Okafor got his RS)
  • 3 DT (Chisholm, Christmas, Wilbon)
  • 2 LB (McCulloch, Roach)
  • 1 DB (Brandon Jones)

This assumes that Buechele transfers and that BJones comes back

Spoiler

4NENw8.png

26 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

He's not going to Missouri or Ole Miss. It's not that interesting.

Right, it's Texas, A&M, Bama, Georgia, LSU, or OU, unless he lets someone like Ohio State or Clemson jump in later 

I have no idea if some of these guys are early overrated guys, but per the rankings, the position is loaded nationally, and some of these schools will start to fill up in the game if musical chairs; there's 9 in the top 50, and 17 in the top 150 or so. Bama already has one commit, OU already has two (although they're still recruiting Evans and Milton hard), LSU has in-state running back Ashaad Clayton who they'll likely end up taking. The state of Texas has four in the top 109, and that's not including guys like Ty Jordan and Devon Achane. 

Milton in particular will be interesting to watch, as he and Evans share a lot of the same favorite schools, and it's doubtful they go to the same place; OU, Bama, and LSU all figure to be players for him.

I'd take Seth MgGowan early if possible, who I view as a lead back signee in most classes, and then go all in on Evans and McCellan to try and land one of them. 

31 minutes ago, Fud said:

Right, it's Texas, A&M, Bama, Georgia, LSU, or OU, unless he lets someone like Ohio State or Clemson jump in later 

I have no idea if some of these guys are early overrated guys, but per the rankings, the position is loaded nationally, and some of these schools will start to fill up in the game if musical chairs; there's 9 in the top 50, and 17 in the top 150 or so. Bama already has one commit, OU already has two (although they're still recruiting Evans and Milton hard), LSU has in-state running back Ashaad Clayton who they'll likely end up taking. The state of Texas has four in the top 109, and that's not including guys like Ty Jordan and Devon Achane. 

Milton in particular will be interesting to watch, as he and Evans share a lot of the same favorite schools, and it's doubtful they go to the same place; OU, Bama, and LSU all figure to be players for him.

I'd take Seth MgGowan early if possible, who I view as a lead back signee in most classes, and then go all in on Evans and McCellan to try and land one of them. 

McGowan is an insane athlete, I'd go hard after him too. I don't think Evans would mind being in the same class with him and he'd be a good #1 RB take if Evans goes elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Obviously you mi$$ed the joke.

Trust me, it's not possible to miss such heavy-handedness. It's just not that interesting.

1 minute ago, Lonestar88 said:

McGowan is an insane athlete, I'd go hard after him too. I don't think Evans would mind being in the same class with him and he'd be a good #1 RB take if Evans goes elsewhere.

I'm a big fan. In most classes, he'd be RB1 in Texas, but he's probably RB3 or 4 in this class, depending on whether or not you like EJ Smith more. McGowan plus Evans or McClellan would be an A+.