Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

26 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Man I have high hopes for those two.  While amazing athletes, I don’t think either has the elite quickness or speed Mookie has.  I think Mookie is elite.  The type that ends up at Bama and has a Waddle type impact.

I just re-watched Smith's highlights... He's got ridiculous quickness and speed.

But we can never have enough guys with ridiculous speed.

Edited by lulz

34 minutes ago, victory88 said:

That would be an unbelievable start to recruiting.  I think we’re going to be big players for Major and Lindberg too.  Build a foundation like that and we will have a very good chance at flipping Demas and getting Evans.

Let demas go. His sudden commitment to a school left off of his top 5 is a huge red flag. Best to assume he’s no longer in play. 

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Let demas go. His sudden commitment to a school left off of his top 5 is a huge red flag. Best to assume he’s no longer in play. 

Oh no doubt that was the shadiest commitment to date.  But you don’t stop pursuing a talent like that that tries to decommit a week later and has since visited us 3 times.  Even if he doesn’t end up here, you make Jimbo sweat that one out.  

• Like 2

We beat LSU and OU (and aggy loses to Clemson & bama again) and our 2020 class will fill up before we even win the B12 and possibly make the playoffs.  Even with that, it will be hard to flip Demas unless Memaw croaks between now and then and Hamm takes over as jimbo’s baglady.  

46 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

We beat LSU and OU (and aggy loses to Clemson & bama again) and our 2020 class will fill up before we even win the B12 and possibly make the playoffs.  Even with that, it will be hard to flip Demas unless Memaw croaks between now and then and Hamm takes over as jimbo’s baglady.  

Pump the brakes Mr. Optimist. Texas will have to figure out how to quit losing games it’s supposed to win with ease. Then, we can discuss the B12 championship and possible playoff. Most games came down to the wire and you can’t let that many teams hang around and expect to win them all.

1 minute ago, Casual Encounter said:

Pump the brakes Mr. Optimist. Texas will have to figure out how to quit losing games it’s supposed to win with ease. Then, we can discuss the B12 championship and possible playoff. Most games came down to the wire and you can’t let that many teams hang around and expect to win them all.

Optimist??  We were in the B12 title game this year against a team we already beat. The B12 “powerhouses” should also be down a little next year without Murray and Grier.  I’m not saying we will go undefeated with each game being 50 points blowouts, but we SHOULD win the Big12 and if we do that (along with beating LSU), we’ll have a chance at the playoffs. 

4 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Optimist??  We were in the B12 title game this year against a team we already beat. The B12 “powerhouses” should also be down a little next year without Murray and Grier.  I’m not saying we will go undefeated with each game being 50 points blowouts, but we SHOULD win the Big12 and if we do that (along with beating LSU), we’ll have a chance at the playoffs. 

On the flip side of that, a few of our close wins (Baylor and TTU, as examples) were against young QBs who will be matured and improved next year as well. The real key is shoring up our defense with all the experienced starters we'll be losing.

25 minutes ago, satyanash said:

On the flip side of that, a few of our close wins (Baylor and TTU, as examples) were against young QBs who will be matured and improved next year as well. The real key is shoring up our defense with all the experienced starters we'll be losing.

Tech will be adjusting to new HC and we didn’t have Sam for the Baylor game. Iowa State might be the hardest game on the schedule next year outside of LSU and OU. 

Just now, bEastTexas said:

Tech will be adjusting to new HC and we didn’t have Sam for the Baylor game. Iowa State might be the hardest game on the schedule next year outside of LSU and OU. 

Knew I forgot someone important. Yeah, Purdy will be legit down the road. 

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

With Bama, UGA and aggy in the mix, i am sure there will be some bags lobbed in somewhere. My hope is that the Evans' aren't those kind of people. 

Meh, at this point I think we should just have a Be Like Dickerson message for top recruits. Fuck it, take their shit, then sign with us. That way you get paid and the program you're going to has no risk of penalties. What are the SEC schools going to do, turn themselves in?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Meh, at this point I think we should just have a Be Like Dickerson message for top recruits. Fuck it, take their shit, then sign with us. That way you get paid and the program you're going to has no risk of penalties. What are the SEC schools going to do, turn themselves in?

I see where you’re going with that, but Dickerson’s ultimate program of choice definitely risked and incurred some pretty harsh penalties. 

7 hours ago, satyanash said:

I think the key is winning the Big 12 with an offensive leap forward. 

7 hours ago, CHEF RIBS W/ THE HAMM YALL said:

I’m sure his was already posted but w/e. Evans junior Hudl. It’s mesmerizing. I will say no more.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8693277/5c2844c7ab938d0f4ca11e63

Even more impressive when you realize a ton of those highlights are against teams deep into the 6A Division 1 playoffs.  

20 hours ago, victory88 said:

Man I have high hopes for those two.  While amazing athletes, I don’t think either has the elite quickness or speed Mookie has.  I think Mookie is elite.  The type that ends up at Bama and has a Waddle type impact.

Jake Smith is a legit 4.3 guy and is every bit the athlete that Mookie is. Herman has shown an amazing ability to evaluate this position and get a shot at the elite playmakers nationally. Whittington to me seems more of a RB with Priest Holmes/Marshall Faulk like versatility at the next level. He doesn't have the elite speed that Smith has.  

Herman's slot/utility targets

Year 1 Jaylen Waddle

Year 2 Justin Watkins/Rondale Moore

Year 3 Jake Smith/Jordan Whittington

Year 4 Mookie Cooper

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

Jake Smith is a legit 4.3 guy and is every bit the athlete that Mookie is. Herman has shown an amazing ability to evaluate this position and get a shot at the elite playmakers nationally. Whittington to me seems more of a RB with Priest Holmes/Marshall Faulk like versatility at the next level. He doesn't have the elite speed that Smith has.  

Year 1 Jaylen Waddle

Year 4 Mookie Cooper

Ty Jordan as well, right?

https://247sports.com/Player/Ty-Jordan-46049893/

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Year 1 Jaylen Waddle

Year 4 Mookie Cooper

Waddle was the same year as Watkins and Moore. They also targeted guys late like Sqwirl Williams and Lawrence Keys. 

As Texifornia mentioned, we're also looking at Ty Jordan. Kelvontay Dixon is used this way by Carthage, and he'll likely be in the class. Additionally, Devon Achane is a stud out of Houston in this mold. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, texastough said:

Not many wide open holes in those highlights either. He's incredible, has every attribute you want in a primary back.

I don't know what film you're watching.  Most of those runs are very well blocked.  However, I will say that Evans runs through linebacker arm tackles better than anyone I've seen since D'Onta Foreman.

37 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I don't know what film you're watching.  Most of those runs are very well blocked.  However, I will say that Evans runs through linebacker arm tackles better than anyone I've seen since D'Onta Foreman.

He has some really good vision and anticipation of blocks. That play where he reversed field and cutback in the middle of a pile was sick. 

12 hours ago, CHEF RIBS W/ THE HAMM YALL said:

I’m sure his was already posted but w/e. Evans junior Hudl. It’s mesmerizing. I will say no more.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8693277/5c2844c7ab938d0f4ca11e63

Great balance, lower body strength, change of direction and creativity.  Just when it looks like the defense has him bottled up, he pulls a Houdini. 

There is a lot to be impressed by with Evans - he is as complete a RB as you'll see - but i think what most impresses me is his ability to change speeds.  The defense is never quite sure where he's going to be because he is so good at changing gears and only being as fast as he needs to be to set up his next cut or move.

He makes it look completely effortless - like he's not even running hard.