Woodworking, DIY, and home repair thread

Mojo Hand

15 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Is that edge grain or end grain? You got a planer? I’ve been wanting to make a few, but i don’t really want to invest in any more tools at the moment.

Also, what wood is it?

It's edge grain and I do not have a planer....though I keep thinking I should buy one.  

I buy strips at Clark's Hardwood in Houston that are pretty square and even.  This piece is cherry, maple, and walnut.  Ps wood is not cheap.  I'm shocked everytime I go.

I have a hand planer and plane them out the manly (and stupidly harder) way.  

2 hours ago, Hornbeliever said:

It's edge grain and I do not have a planer....though I keep thinking I should buy one.  

I buy strips at Clark's Hardwood in Houston that are pretty square and even.  This piece is cherry, maple, and walnut.  Ps wood is not cheap.  I'm shocked everytime I go.

I have a hand planer and plane them out the manly (and stupidly harder) way.  

You might try a pawn shop for a planar.  Some places like Tom’s Pawn shop with multiple locations have their inventory online, and you can usually offer them about half what is shown and get them to meet you in the middle. That’s what I’ve done for tools I think I want/need but I’m not sure and don’t want to spend a lot and find I don’t need it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

You might try a pawn shop for a planar.  Some places like Tom’s Pawn shop with multiple locations have their inventory online, and you can usually offer them about half what is shown and get them to meet you in the middle. That’s what I’ve done for tools I think I want/need but I’m not sure and don’t want to spend a lot and find I don’t need it. 

For instance - here’s one at Toms you could probably get for $250-300

http://shop.tomspawn.com/Item/Details/DEWALT-PLANER-DW735/d4da5239707648b9b7e72a9cdbca2752

On 3/8/2023 at 11:48 AM, fattyflattie said:

Fuck.  I need to replace a few of the lower slats on some of ours, due to wife’s kitten.   Not looking forward to that bill.  

I'm late, but can confirm wife's pussy bill is always high. 

For instance - here’s one at Toms you could probably get for $250-300
http://shop.tomspawn.com/Item/Details/DEWALT-PLANER-DW735/d4da5239707648b9b7e72a9cdbca2752

Big problem with the dewalt planers is the bed. Supposedly the lower end ones have a lot of flex. My brother had a Wen planer and liked it at least for the cost.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm finally getting around to doing our half bath.

Doing a wall mount sink, new faucet and hardware, paneling, wallpaper, crown, new lighting, new door, new shitter.

Half baths don't require a vent, right? I haven't checked yet, but pretty sure the current one is just venting into the ceiling. If so I'll probably just remove and add a light.ca9fa08684363b5cf543adf8e0b2aee8.jpg31711e2a22911a735ab2b6aa4ade44ef.jpg

Mold prevention. It's a wet area.
Is it? Thought that only applied if there was steam.

Anyway, I guess I'll see what's up in the ceiling. I'm not too worried about it either way. Our master bath doesn't have a vent at all for some reason and I'll probably add one eventually since there's a shower.

does it have a window?  You need one or the other.
Master bath toilet has a window. The rest has a non opening window. The half bath has no window.

I understand what you're saying. I'm asking why that's the rule. It makes no sense for a bathroom with no steam. I also understand you didn't make the rule.

11 hours ago, Okie State said:

Master bath toilet has a window. The rest has a non opening window. The half bath has no window.

I understand what you're saying. I'm asking why that's the rule. It makes no sense for a bathroom with no steam. I also understand you didn't make the rule.

Vent all enclosed wet areas. Toilets and sinks throw off moisture.   Moisture heats and rises.  Needs to be vented with a fart fan to outside building envelope and not into attic. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

ok I think this is the right thread, looking for some smarter opinions on what dumb thing I'm missing or if I need an electrician or what

We have a screened in porch.

porchelectrical.thumb.jpg.de22d3e6cc66dc0d9da9c256face7037.jpg

It has a ceiling fan with a light, some rope lighting around the edge (in the molding or whatever) - those are controlled by the three covered switches circled in green. They have worked in the past, as recently as early to mid april when I was out here mopping the pollen off at night.

It has an outlet (circled in yellowish orange). It has never worked as long as I've lived here. I've made a few feeble attempts at figuring it out and have had a contractor who has done some small repair projects look and we haven't figured it out. There's another outlet on the side of the house nearby, same deal.

It has a porch light (circled in fuchsia) which is controlled by a switch on the other side of that door and works.

It has speakers in the ceiling that are controlled by the volume knob (faintly circled in blue) above the light switches. Those work. There are also speakers in the kitchen and the master bath upstairs that all connect to the same sonos up on the third floor, they all have independent volume control in the wall like this guy does.

Anyways, obviously I've checked the fuse box multiple times and have toggled the breaker for this area to see if that would bring to life either the outdoor outlets or the light switches. The outlets are... I think GFCI protected but don't have a reset button or anything. I've meant to get an electrician out for the outlets but haven't gotten around to it/i think it's been hard to get anyone out for small jobs for a while but that may be getting better.

The switches are the thing that I'm trying to figure out right now - I would like to be able to turn on the light/fan/rope lights. My working theory is that the cleaning lady flipped a switch somewhere that somehow turns that whole circuit or whatever off or on. There are 20 switches in the downstairs main living area on the other side of those windows and I've walked around trying to toggle them all to see if it would bring the porch fan/lights to life. Haven't found it yet. Maybe there's something weird (switch somewhere more random that does this) - I know that a lot of the porch stuff was done after the house was built, it wouldn't surprise me if there was something weird.

Any thoughts? Is there some crazy obvious thing that I'm not trying or haven't thought of? If I can't figure it out, is an electrician who I need to just figure out the whole thing?

Yeah I’m dumb but not that dumb. Although I still keep trying to find some chain/switch combination that maybe I’ve missed.

Nothing dumb about it. You get used to it being on and using the switch, someone else comes by and pulls the chain without thinking.

Check all the breakers in the box. Could be one mislabeled. Check the plugs and GFCI’s. They go bad.

35 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

That’s not a gfci plug. That sticker just says it’s a protected outlet. It’s either down stream of one or there’s a breaker in the box that is.

Yep. GFCI and "GFCI protected" aren't the same thing.

Get yourself one of these

https://www.amazon.com/Receptacle-Tester-Klein-Tools-RT210/dp/B01AKX8L0M/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3BC29560IAC0G&keywords=gfci%2Btester%2Bplug&qid=1683678018&sprefix=GFCI%2Btester%2Caps%2C220&sr=8-5&th=1

Yep, that plug likely has a circuit flipped somewhere else.  Usually outside stuff seems to be connected out in a garage for some reason.  Probably just easiest to tie it in.  Could also be a GFCI somewhere else outside.  

Easiest way is to literally just go room to room and look at every single outlet.  Trip any GFCIs and reset them.  You probably have a plug somewhere you just don't use/don't see and it's tripped.

On 5/13/2023 at 7:52 PM, Jkwellborn said:

That’s pretty nice. When my son was big into legos, I almost made a small Lego table for him. Kinda wish I had, just for the experience.

Yup, I enjoy having projects, and now my kids do too.  They were too little to really help me much when I made this. I did let them paint the bottom piece, threw a drop cloth down in the yard and let them have at it, they had fun and then the "yard baths" provided quick and easy cleanup for them. :)

Now they're 15 and 13 and they help with all kinds of projects.  I'm getting rid of the 13yo boy's "loft bed" that had a desk underneath it, he's just too big for it now, and he wants a platform bed, I think like some character in some anime that he watches, has.  So he's already picked out the style and made some rough drawings with measurements, and this weekend we'll probably purchase the lumber and start on the cuts.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

I had a unique condition in our new house where barn doors were the only practical option.  Stairs on one side, so no swing door.  Wet walls on both sides of the opening, so no pocket doors.  And, we have 12' ceilings and wanted a minimal header.  So, the result was building some 11'3" x 2'6" biparting barn doors.  Used some leftover reclaimed oak we had from another part of the house over 3/4" plywood cores that were glued and pocket screwed together.  The build was fun, but hanging them is going to be a challenge.  

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

On 5/16/2023 at 12:57 PM, Spaulding Smails said:

I had a unique condition in our new house where barn doors were the only practical option.  Stairs on one side, so no swing door.  Wet walls on both sides of the opening, so no pocket doors.  And, we have 12' ceilings and wanted a minimal header.  So, the result was building some 11'3" x 2'6" biparting barn doors.  Used some leftover reclaimed oak we had from another part of the house over 3/4" plywood cores that were glued and pocket screwed together.  The build was fun, but hanging them is going to be a challenge.  

spacer.png

Are you considering a powder coated metal frame around the edges?

On 5/16/2023 at 7:15 PM, RMac5 said:

I bet those barn doors are heavy. I will be building a barn door in the near future.

My son did a couple barn doors when he renovated my granddaughter’s condo…. One for her bathroom and one for the closet.

3E09848F-453C-468E-B9CF-C1BC29262070.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 1

Barn doors are not a good solution for bathrooms.  Not a lot of privacy with those things.   

I used one for my studio bathroom, because that's what the GF wanted, and because we only have 1 tenant at a time, so there is no privacy issue. 

On 5/18/2023 at 12:44 PM, deadshank said:

Are you considering a powder coated metal frame around the edges?

That's exactly what I did at the last house and it looked great.  Added some horizontal cross braces as well for some detail since it just had vertical slats.  We may do that on these as well.  It would be super easy to pull off the wood trim I put around it and replace it with steel.  We have a blackened steel fireplace in the master bedroom, so if we go that route, we'd probably just blacken the steel.  

20 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Barn doors are not a good solution for bathrooms.  Not a lot of privacy with those things.   

I used one for my studio bathroom, because that's what the GF wanted, and because we only have 1 tenant at a time, so there is no privacy issue. 

From a privacy / sound standpoint:  swing door > pocket door > barn door.  But in our case, this is to the bathroom in the master.  That opening is directly across from some French doors that go out to the backyard.  Realistically, the only time these will be closed is if there's people over and one of us is in the shower.  The bed is far enough away that light / sound should be minimal if one of us is getting ready in the morning while the other is sleeping.