Woodworking, DIY, and home repair thread

Mojo Hand

On 5/18/2023 at 5:33 PM, Gil Bang said:

Barn doors are not a good solution for bathrooms.  Not a lot of privacy with those things.   

I used one for my studio bathroom, because that's what the GF wanted, and because we only have 1 tenant at a time, so there is no privacy issue. 

At least there is a pocket door in the crapper.

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

There are screws on the other side too. As well as shitty push ins on the back. You can see the ground wire on the plug.

I understand very little - I did see the one wire attached which google told me was the ground. It doesn’t look like anything was attached to the screws on either side between the two outlets (but I didn’t want to pull the foam thing off and fuck around especially since I’m not certain which breaker to flip) - does it look like I’m correct and this thing isn’t even wired up? I found outside outlets on the side and front of the house that are working/wired correctly. The tester on this outlet didn’t light up at all.

*edit*

35 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Wires will be in back, faster, easier for contractors... electricians love them as they tend to need work later when they come loose and then can use the screws on side.

Ah ok gotcha. 

Edited by Celery Man

58 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I understand very little - I did see the one wire attached which google told me was the ground. It doesn’t look like anything was attached to the screws on either side between the two outlets (but I didn’t want to pull the foam thing off and fuck around especially since I’m not certain which breaker to flip) - does it look like I’m correct and this thing isn’t even wired up? I found outside outlets on the side and front of the house that are working/wired correctly. The tester on this outlet didn’t light up at all.

*edit*

Ah ok gotcha. 

It's still likely going to be a GFCI reset needing to be pushed. Find all you can for your house (will have minimum of 1, likely more).  They can be found in garages, bathrooms, outside, kitchen, basements. They can be in non-obvious locations depending on age of house.

Sometimes in your electrical panel they might even be labeled - "gfci main", etc so you might be able to know how many GFCI circuits you have.

Also check other outside outlets to see if working, usually they are all connected. If others work then check closest wet location like bathroom nearest the outlet to see if can find a GFCI receptacle to reset.

image.png.80dd764b6027ea3e6eaa6dbecfad25dc.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Help me out so I don’t lose my man card. Started with sanded pine for stair treads. I wanted a more grey stain but this is what wife picked. The stain does not look…even?  Just not what I was expecting. Will a second coat fix this?  Do I need to lightly sand first?  Heavily sand?  

E0669B42-5EC4-4275-AF52-65CA59F63002.jpeg

2B132402-748E-4A01-9FF2-97E275A87F92.jpeg

47 minutes ago, utee94 said:

^^^^

Yup, pine doesn't take stain all that evenly.  Pre-stain treatments help but even then, pine just doesn't do great.  That's why so many people paint it, or leave it natural and seal it.

No pre stain treatment. Didn’t even know that was a thing. So I wonder if I shouldn’t just paint over it at this point? If I do paint with latex, do I have to use and oil based primer first?

like this?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Zinsser-Cover-Stain-1-gal-White-Oil-Based-Interior-Exterior-Primer-and-Sealer-3501/100398377?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&pla&mtc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-D24-024_022_PRIMERS-NA-Multi-NA-PLALIA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-FY21_Multi_PLALIA&cm_mmc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-D24-024_022_PRIMERS-NA-Multi-NA-PLALIA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-FY21_Multi_PLALIA-71700000075826637-58700006498654198-92700058683659550&gbraid=0AAAAADq61UcRAv3DG-04fC3_qek1RgLcA&gclid=CjwKCAjw44mlBhAQEiwAqP3eVkeQKJQ2pNm1ozUoV9TILkkZUKbrfMAu5Nrk4gES7KGttiNpUFEjBxoChsUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I think that would work. I also like Zinsser BIN which is shellac based. Both stink like hell. Use a quality hard wearing paint to finish it.

Or see if you can sand it down and just leave it natural with a clear sealer.
  • Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Okie State said:

I think that would work. I also like Zinsser BIN which is shellac based. Both stink like hell. Use a quality hard wearing paint to finish it.

Or see if you can sand it down and just leave it natural with a clear sealer.

Yup, agree with all of the above.

I like the look of natural wood on the treads, and you can always put color on the risers if you want something more interesting.

On 6/2/2023 at 8:13 AM, Antidean said:

My son searches river and creek beds for arrowheads, he's found several hundred. He's quite good at finding them.

Built this for him to store and show off some of his better ones.

Made it with cherry wood and inlayed bocote wood on the top and made the drawer pulls from bocote as well.

The top section has a removable tray.

IMG_1117.thumb.JPG.1e208f00a9f30d9f9bc99c7e1cf156d1.JPGIMG_1303.thumb.JPG.35d75e2addbae22a6024ace72dd0b410.JPGIMG_1305.thumb.JPG.0bc5abc8b2df2967419c6696a28615a4.JPGIMG_1306.thumb.JPG.e7aa43083009f789f5ff2f6c51d5b250.JPG

IMG_1304.JPG

IMG_1115.JPG

I love the look of cherry. What did you finish it with?

@Orale that must have been a fun build.   Very nice work.

Did the same thing 15 years ago with a derelict mobile home.  Rebuilt it all in my warehouse then had MH movers tow it to deer camp.   7 or so years ago we rebuilt an old job shack for a bunk house.  Had a great time doing the work. 

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Temp structure that can be relocated or used a guest quarters or sold out right.   It’s not a bad idea for a tiny house.  

That's right. We eventually want to build a larger home for R&R. The tiny house allows us to enjoy the land in the interim at a low cost in relative comfort, particularly for my retired folks. 

1 hour ago, Orale said:

That's right. We eventually want to build a larger home for R&R. The tiny house allows us to enjoy the land in the interim at a low cost in relative comfort, particularly for my retired folks. 

You showed a sea container but that doesn’t appear to be in the build pictures. Is that another tiny home to be or just a portable garage?

Our deer camp bunk house is very similar.  

Demo’d the old donor organ on site, put left over trailer frame and axles on a gooseneck and brought it back to the warehouse in Houston for the build.  Left all the snakes, scorpions, centipedes and spiders roosting up in it on the rancho.  

Towed it back out to rancho on the back of my truck.  Squared and leveled it up, built a deck and cover to attach it to our trailer.   

IMG_1827.jpeg

IMG_7160.jpeg

IMG_2712.jpeg

IMG_2708.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

You showed a sea container but that doesn’t appear to be in the build pictures. Is that another tiny home to be or just a portable garage?

It's just for storage. Our handyman was hauling his tools to the site every day and we were locking building materials inside the tiny house or leaving them outside exposed to weather and potential theft. So we bought the container to store everything. We've needed one for the property for a long time. It was a single-use container (i.e., only used on a single trip from China or wherever) so it's in great condition and only cost a few grand delivered to the property. It's much more secure and weather safe than a wooden shed.

To answer your other question, we are building a second tiny house which is why one of the photos shows a second trailer with just the OSB subfloor and bottom wall plates on it. We're pretty close to being done. It'll have a slightly different board and batten skin. 

3 hours ago, deadshank said:

Our deer camp bunk house is very similar.  

Demo’d the old donor organ on site, put left over trailer frame and axles on a gooseneck and brought it back to the warehouse in Houston for the build.  Left all the snakes, scorpions, centipedes and spiders roosting up in it on the rancho.  

Towed it back out to rancho on the back of my truck.  Squared and leveled it up, built a deck and cover to attach it to our trailer.   

IMG_1827.jpeg

IMG_7160.jpeg

IMG_2712.jpeg

IMG_2708.jpeg

I was thinking about doing a corrugated metal skin siding with a kind of modern profile on one of our tiny houses. But I was worried my handyman wouldn't know how to work with it as he's primarily familiar with wood sidings. Maybe if we do a third one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Attaching a beam to a post?

In the process of adding a pergola to our backyard, is it better to sit the beams on top of the post or, considering the weight on top won’t be very much, is it okay to use carriage bolts to connect the 2x6 to the 6x6 post?

6 hours ago, chikin23 said:

In the process of adding a pergola to our backyard, is it better to sit the beams on top of the post or, considering the weight on top won’t be very much, is it okay to use carriage bolts to connect the 2x6 to the 6x6 post?

I'd notch the 6x6 then run the carriage bolts through.  You have plenty of meat on the 6x6 for the carriage bolts and can still get the load to bear down vertically instead of relying on the carriage bolts to support the weight.  

image.png.37bc8ee839beebf30418ac2d1e49268f.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, chikin23 said:

Get heavy, milled cedar.  It withstands weather and insects and doesn’t twist like pressure-treated yellow pine. 

If you’re in the Houston area call Lucas Cedar.   We use them all the time.  

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

@Orale that tiny house is awesome.  how are you getting hot water?  did you install a tankless water heater on the outside?  and is the wastewater going in to a cesspit?

Thanks. We installed a tankless water heater initially but then realized that they draw a heavy amount of amperage versus a conventional small tank water heater. So we just built a little enclosure for a small tank water heater sitting on the front arms of the trailer. We installed a new water well and a septic system, more for a future conventional home we plan to eventually build but we have the tiny house hooked up to it. 

@Orale still looking at your build and I have a few questions for you (none of which are meant to be critical).

Looking at the pic of roof, I see no soil vent stacks coming through.  How are you venting the toilet, sinks and shower so they will drain? Exhaust  point for a bathroom fart fan vent?  Also, venting a range top?  Are these to be installed before move in?

Did you consider fresh air intake since you have done the complete spray foam encapsulation?

Spray foaming the underside of your floor deck is a  brilliant move for temp moderation and keeping the varmint s from scratching their way in.

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

@Orale still looking at your build and I have a few questions for you (none of which are meant to be critical).

Looking at the pic of roof, I see no soil vent stacks coming through.  How are you venting the toilet, sinks and shower so they will drain? Exhaust  point for a bathroom fart fan vent?  Also, venting a range top?  Are these to be installed before move in?

Did you consider fresh air intake since you have done the complete spray foam encapsulation?

Spray foaming the underside of your floor deck is a  brilliant move for temp moderation and keeping the varmint s from scratching their way in.

No criticism taken. On the contrary, it's appreciated. I am very much an amateur builder and always trying to learn more. For the plumbing venting, I did an interior Oatey Sure Vent. I had heard the issue you mention about fresh air when spray foaming the envelope, but I don't really have an answer. I suppose I was counting on the occasional opening of the doors and windows. But that's a fair point. I'll have to think on how to address that to ensure good air quality.

The TH's are only going to have a countertop double induction top and maybe a countertop multi-mode air fryer for simple meals. They're not intended for elaborate cooking, and frankly, my family doesn't do much of that anyways. So we'll probably just open the windows over the kitchenette if we're not just eating out. Probably not ideal, but I'm trying to keep things simple for now while we see what works and what could use upgrading.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Interestingly, maybe only to me, I just did a full bathroom remodel as well.  Half bath downstairs.  Remodel isn't going to be for everyone, but we love it.  I'm a big fan of that 1920s style, but can't really do my whole house like it.  My wife wanted to wall paper something.  I loathe wallpaper.  But I relented if we got to go with an old school style

I didn't take any before pictures, but it was simple.  These are before we moved in.  We changed the mirror, toilet, rug and wall color, but otherwise it was pretty simple. 

image.thumb.jpeg.3a0019b440924562b7a1298b776f88d7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d3520a55696edf91883156cd4d2ddb36.jpeg

IMG_5916.thumb.JPEG.34319e5ac61bee81362063886221295e.JPEGIMG_5917.thumb.JPEG.fbf0bb8714fcfb8c573d12d3cb8386c7.JPEGIMG_5920.thumb.JPEG.c94a2bce6ae837622168c547c2b2f5cb.JPEGIMG_5919.thumb.JPEG.548e6e194a65c3025a831586847dfa77.JPEG

IMG_5926.thumb.JPEG.92bf6c26534d16d0f3cc8d5179087c7a.JPEGIMG_5925.thumb.JPEG.a0fd9f6a23598d5d178e94349360c39f.JPEGIMG_5924.thumb.JPEG.6436d9ad7433b0970a9c47fb0483a25f.JPEG

I build the vanity out of hard wood from scratch.  Built the custom exhaust fan cover as well.  

Checklist of what I did:
-Wallpapered the entire room
-Removed and replaced the floor
-Built the vanity, added handles, installed the counter and sink
-New Faucet
-New Mirror
-Removed the old over mirror light to be side by side lights
-Installed the outlet for the bidet, installed the bidet (BB2000)
-Installed new hand towel and toilet paper holder
-Got a new picture for the wall, found a photographer I liked and they did an aluminum print for me.  
-Replaced the outlets and switches with black Lutron Caseta's (whole house is smart).  

Still need to find a new rug, And find a way to hide the bidet cord a bit more.  Also need to adjust the cabinet doors a tiny bit to get them completely level.  Adjusting hinges is always a pain in the ass.  

I bought the black BB2000 remote, installing that today instead.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

I've been busy.  I also built a kennel under the stairs for the dogs.  We had a pretty nice one that was next to the couch (for sale btw), but it meant you couldn't walk around both sides of it, and took up so much space.   

The inside edge of the door needs another coat of paint, and caulk the new quarter round at the joints, but that's happening today.  Otherwise I'm done.  
IMG_5921.thumb.JPEG.67da16116c412d5419fb4c940b9dcb14.JPEGIMG_5922.thumb.JPEG.6b20509705c7d9e53d5df42de9c86fbe.JPEGIMG_5923.thumb.JPEG.a8f885187b99445fdbbe9f1dff333356.JPEG

I cut the hole to the right, then realized that the space in the middle was a load bearing beam.  I should have freaking known, it was very obvious if I had been thinking about it.  But I think it actually worked out really well because it gives more light in there for them.

Drywalled the interior and painted it the same color as the walls outside it.  
Found two dog beds that together fit pretty much perfectly.  

Hard to tell from the pics but it's huge in there.  We have two smaller dogs so they have tons of space to chill

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2