Woodworking, DIY, and home repair thread

Mojo Hand

Posted (edited)

I'm a sucker for all things walnut. We have a walnut top for our kitchen island. Just ordered another one and am using this one for a coffee table. Considering doing the formal dining table in walnut also, but it may be too much.

Of course I'd have walnut floors if I could afford it.

Edited by Okie State
  • Hook 'Em 3

While we’re all on the walnut love fest, here’s some figured pieces I’m trying to decide what to do with.

e319660c83b83f84a334e9936cd0c8b4.jpg

They are from a walnut tree that grew in the yard of my wife’s grandfather’s childhood home.

I’m leaning towards a set of matching console/hall tables for my wife and her two sisters out of ash dyed black like this: af6750fd525f0fcffade10078750e2d5.jpg

And then using the figured walnut for a row of drawer fronts.

I’ve been sitting on them for like 5 years since he died waiting for the right use.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 3/1/2024 at 12:02 PM, utee94 said:

To be fair, we have used our jetted tub a few times per year since we've been here.  I like it and wish I had time to use it more often.  And we already have a nice glass enclosure shower with multiple shower heads, so I don't REALLY need to get rid of it.

But it's one of those triangular monstrosities that's put against a corner of the bathroom with a tile surround built up around it, and it just takes up so much room, kinda like this one:

image.thumb.png.33069dc5419cb0df8878e9313db70828.png

I want to replace it with a freestanding jetted tub that's a modern version of a clawfoot, rotate it sideways so it takes up a lot less room, which would make space for an additional vanity and more storage.  Something like this:

image.png.bbfc91e0e84ff48b79a59be10fdf017d.png

This is what we have, and plan to do when we do the second half of the reno. Shower has had 6 heads since day 1 and is decently big (expanded an additional 3x1 when had a forced reno a few years ago).  Don’t think anyone outside of the kids has used the tub since pool/hot tub went in. 

12 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

I’ve been thinking about trying to get enough pecan from two trees that were in my grandmothers yard and blew down last summer. Just to make some little something, clock or something

Do you have access to a kiln? That's always been what's stopped me from doing something similar.

Do you have access to a kiln? That's always been what's stopped me from doing something similar.

I don’t. There’s a local sawmill that sells slabs and different things of that nature. Thought about talking with them to see if they did and what it would cost. Of course, I could just cut it and let it dry in the shop over the next couple of years. By then, I might have my skills ready to make a live edge epoxy table. lol

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

I don’t. There’s a local sawmill that sells slabs and different things of that nature. Thought about talking with them to see if they did and what it would cost. Of course, I could just cut it and let it dry in the shop over the next couple of years. By then, I might have my skills ready to make a live edge epoxy table. lol

I've seen some plans to make one yourself. Doesn't seem terribly difficult just requires space that I don't have. 

For those that refaced your kitchen cabinets, did you bite the bullet and do the interiors as well? I'm torn between not having that nagging annoyance when I open the cabinets and not wanting to chug paint thinner by adding more time on to this project.

One of the true joys of being a new homeowner is discovering unexpected problems during projects or when getting "minor" repairs done. The previous owner apparently fashioned himself a DIY king.

Painting the ceilings and removing the AC vent- Oh shit, there's mold in the ductwork.

Replacing a gfci outlet- Well, the one that tripped is actually on the ceiling, where it's not meant to be and by the way, your entire breaker panel, and even the box itself is completely fucked because he cut a hole in it for this random power source. Also, it appears all of your outlets are backstabbed so they'll probably start giving out soon, because they're old and they used the wrong gauge wire. 

Gas leak that is fortunately just within the oven itself- By the way, your water heater, despite being only 2 years old, is a disaster waiting to happen because it was installed by a moron.

Somehow, much of this was undiscovered during the inspection, or chalked up to a bunch of little things that you can slowly fix over time. And I'm sure there is some upsell by the repair people who have been out here. But other than the HVAC unit, the universal, and immediate, response to anything they've looked at is pretty much "Wow, uhhhh.... that's interesting."

• Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, hookem2010 said:

One of the true joys of being a new homeowner is discovering unexpected problems during projects or when getting "minor" repairs done. The previous owner apparently fashioned himself a DIY king.

Painting the ceilings and removing the AC vent- Oh shit, there's mold in the ductwork.

Replacing a gfci outlet- Well, the one that tripped is actually on the ceiling, where it's not meant to be and by the way, your entire breaker panel, and even the box itself is completely fucked because he cut a hole in it for this random power source. Also, it appears all of your outlets are backstabbed so they'll probably start giving out soon, because they're old and they used the wrong gauge wire. 

Gas leak that is fortunately just within the oven itself- By the way, your water heater, despite being only 2 years old, is a disaster waiting to happen because it was installed by a moron.

Somehow, much of this was undiscovered during the inspection, or chalked up to a bunch of little things that you can slowly fix over time. And I'm sure there is some upsell by the repair people who have been out here. But other than the HVAC unit, the universal, and immediate, response to anything they've looked at is pretty much "Wow, uhhhh.... that's interesting."

There is no way you should have a hole in your breaker box not called out as a huge red flag by the inspector, that's crazy.  Backstabbing is fine, that's electrician silliness there.  But the wrong gauge wire on the other hand lol, that's how houses burn down.  

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, uoftorange said:

There is no way you should have a hole in your breaker box not called out as a huge red flag by the inspector, that's crazy.  Backstabbing is fine, that's electrician silliness there.  But the wrong gauge wire on the other hand lol, that's how houses burn down.  

I’d get more info on the backstab / wire size thing. Bunch of electricians with their noses in the air saying that’s not how we used to do things. Wire size is legit concern, but unless I’ve worked with someone before, I don’t trust them to not try and sell me blinker fluid, and I’d want them to show me their math or do it myself. 

You got a pic of the hole in the breaker panel?

eta - also, what exactly is wrong with your water heater?

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, UT_OB1 said:

I’d get more info on the backstab / wire size thing. Bunch of electricians with their noses in the air saying that’s not how we used to do things. Wire size is legit concern, but unless I’ve worked with someone before, I don’t trust them to not try and sell me blinker fluid, and I’d want them to show me their math or do it myself. 

Yep, and they are there to get paid.  They'll call things that have worked fine bad because it doesn't meet today's code.  Doesn't mean it doesn't work just fine the way it's installed, it's just not the best option given today's choices.

Pretty sure backstabbing is against code now isn’t it?

On 3/3/2024 at 5:40 PM, Okie State said:

I'm a sucker for all things walnut. We have a walnut top for our kitchen island. Just ordered another one and am using this one for a coffee table. Considering doing the formal dining table in walnut also, but it may be too much.

Of course I'd have walnut floors if I could afford it.

This solid walnut roll top desk (no vernier) was the first new piece of furniture we bought right after we were married in 1967. 
I didn’t know they made new modern versions, but snapped it up at a store on Congress Avenue as soon as we saw it. IIRC, it was under $200.

5D6DBCAE-9940-48C4-B351-169478C47EB6.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

15 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Should I buy a track saw or a domino? I’ll get more use out of the track saw, but I’ve got a circular saw (I know it’s not the same).

Both are on my list.  Track saw would get used much more I think for me.  But when the domino is needed there isn't an easy substitute.  I personally think dowels are a pain in the ass and biscuits are pretty worthless except for line up

I don't do a lot of table tops, so track saw would be 1 then domino 2.  I'd buy used either way.  

On 3/8/2024 at 5:15 PM, UT_OB1 said:

It doesn't have a drip pan or any way for the water to not cause a huge problem in the event of a leak and I guess a bunch of other stuff is hooked up in a not ideal fashion. I generally distrust anybody trying to upsell me, but this previous owner obviously loved to take on projects that he didn't know how to properly complete.

In more positive news, my cabinet doors are coming along pretty nicely. The wood grain is mostly hidden. Just need to paint one more round of them, install handles/knobs and sand+paint the actual cabinets... oh and do all of the lower doors, drawers and cabinets as well. I'll probably take a hiatus before I begin the 2nd leg of the project.

17105194352061079271461978915020.jpg

Edited by hookem2010
  • Hook 'Em 2

Both are on my list.  Track saw would get used much more I think for me.  But when the domino is needed there isn't an easy substitute.  I personally think dowels are a pain in the ass and biscuits are pretty worthless except for line up

I don't do a lot of table tops, so track saw would be 1 then domino 2.  I'd buy used either way.  

I’ll wind up buying new because there’s no one getting rid of those in my neck of the woods. I can’t decide if I want the bigger track saw or not. I don’t think I’ll be cutting any slabs any time soon if ever, but I don’t want to try and talk myself into another at some point.
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

but I don’t want to try and talk myself into another at some point.

Ahhh the old "if I buy it now it will be cheaper than buying it separate later.  And we know I'm going to buy it later if I don't buy it now" haha

Ahhh the old "if I buy it now it will be cheaper than buying it separate later.  And we know I'm going to buy it later if I don't buy it now" haha

More like, do I need the ts55 or will I eventually use the 75 to justify the weight cost and weight.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 3/14/2024 at 7:01 PM, Jkwellborn said:

Should I buy a track saw or a domino? I’ll get more use out of the track saw, but I’ve got a circular saw (I know it’s not the same).

If you like your circ saw, just build a jig or buy some tracks. And instead of buying a domino, send me the cash so I can buy a usable jointer.

2 hours ago, Okie State said:

Not trying to be disingenuous here. I did not make the top. I just finished it. Wish I had the tools to make something like this.

Are you trying to tell me that you didn't build every square inch of your house too?   Damn, what is this world coming to haha

Looks great though.  Finishing is an art in and of itself.  My least favorite part of any project.  That's what I'm trying the rubio monocoat, hoping it's as easy as they say

• Like 1

In other news I got a Festool TS 75 Track Saw on Marketplace this weekend from a guy that either stole it (really don't think so) or inherited it (what it seemed like) for $400.  That was a pretty great deal with a track and a broken systainer.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, uoftorange said:

Are you trying to tell me that you didn't build every square inch of your house too?   Damn, what is this world coming to haha

Looks great though.  Finishing is an art in and of itself.  My least favorite part of any project.  That's what I'm trying the rubio monocoat, hoping it's as easy as they say

Ha, fair enough. Trim and finish work is definitely my favorite part. I love all the details.

• Hook 'Em 2

All put together.  I bought the flooring this week and I'll get started on it next week lightly.  Only thing left really on the cabinet side is painting the gold on the mirror to match the rest of the room.  Flooring is going to be black/gray slate.  Eventually the other side will be redone when I get a little more comfortable with the plan and be all black hardware.

Kind of hard with the space in the room to get a good picture with good lighting.  But this shows it well, just skews the proportions a bit.  It's 9 feet long with an 8 foot ceiling

image.thumb.jpeg.04a5162ae30cf71ddc135a18a93dca1a.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, Hornbeliever said:

My first foray into a utensil drawer.  I only used scrap stuff because it was on a whim.  I will buy more finished plywood and resize some stuff when I replace this now that I know it was fun to build.

IMG_1576.jpeg

Lucky bastard doesn't have "service for 16" in the drawer.

• Hook 'Em 3

Long overdue project nearly finished. My original design for the island had these legs and skirting. I messed up and let the first walnut top I ordered sit unfinished for too long and it cupped. Just got this new one so I could finally finish all the details. It's a mix of poplar and soft maple so I'll be painting it. In hindsight I would have done it in walnut or white oak. Oh well, glad to be on the last few steps of this one.

PXL_20240407_215254017.jpg

PXL_20240407_215225739.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6

Almost done with my closet.  I redid it (up thread) a while back, but already had an IKEA cabinet that I didn't have time to replace back then and it worked.  The rest of the closet was all custom done.  With a replacement of the floor I had to take out the IKEA cabinet and no way it was going back in.  

This is the bottom part, I'll be building a custom part up top with a rack mount for my server and APC I use to run my media throughout the house.  But I had to get this in first to know what space I had exactly to do it.  

Still some work to do but not sure I have it in me today.  Need to install the drawers then set the drawer fronts and install drawer pulls

IMG_1775.thumb.JPEG.4c11372f0b3737000068972107f6923f.JPEGIMG_1774.thumb.JPEG.78f6d9e5126815f82f7c639846493bb3.JPEG

IMG_1773.thumb.JPEG.ebd718c7cd788157c1fff4f805105b58.JPEG

IMG_1776.thumb.JPEG.45a1759a76ef74fd7fe6fdfec9288318.JPEG

IMG_1771.JPEG

14 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Long overdue project nearly finished. My original design for the island had these legs and skirting. I messed up and let the first walnut top I ordered sit unfinished for too long and it cupped. Just got this new one so I could finally finish all the details. It's a mix of poplar and soft maple so I'll be painting it. In hindsight I would have done it in walnut or white oak. Oh well, glad to be on the last few steps of this one.

That looks fantastic!

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Nice. I've never built any cabinets, but may try to in some of our closets for practice. I watched the guy build ours for the kitchen and he made it look easy, but I'm sure it takes a while to learn the tricks.

Face frames and cabinets are one of the easiest things in wood working IMO.  Yeah you can make them look janky, but just take your time, don't rush it and you will do a good job.  Drawers add complexity as do doors, but even they aren't hard, just time consuming

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, uoftorange said:

Face frames and cabinets are one of the easiest things in wood working IMO.  Yeah you can make them look janky, but just take your time, don't rush it and you will do a good job.  Drawers add complexity as do doors, but even they aren't hard, just time consuming

I need to build some kind of bench with storage for shoes in our mud room. That might be the first project. Also something for toy storage in the kids area upstairs. Plywood boxes with poplar face frames. Maybe some drawers if I get confident. We'll see.

I need that track saw before I attempt any of this though.

Edited by Okie State
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

PXL_20240407_215254017.thumb.jpg.647ec9c930457f6d73ce01ec18471d13.jpg
PXL_20240407_215225739.thumb.jpg.5d19d2fb8f06c7f12abef1aa9a24aa2f.jpg

You want to donate the “ruined” top?

1 minute ago, Jkwellborn said:

You want to donate the “ruined” top?

Ha, fuck no. I'm going to strip it down and see if I can get it flat. If not, I'll have it planed I guess. Doing a huge coffee table for our living room with it.

• Like 1