Texas O-line talk

Coach pop a bitch

1 hour ago, Park Gothic said:

It's funny how improved our center looks when the guards on either side of him are playing better. Almost as if our center wasn't the problem to begin with.  

He has definitely improved. Guards are improving, but even when they struggled early Majors wasnt a liability. I want to give him some credit. They are 100s of hot takes on this site, that criticize players and coaches and I have made some. It turns out that players can improve. Imagine saying Jones would be the best OL on the team this year 2 years ago. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

He has definitely improved. Guards are improving, but even when they struggled early Majors wasnt a liability. I want to give him some credit. They are 100s of hot takes on this site, that criticize players and coaches and I have made some. It turns out that players can improve. Imagine saying Jones would be the best OL on the team this year 2 years ago. 

If you had suggested that, you’d be posting under a different name, because Codaxx would have probably been crowdsourced.
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Bobby Burton said this morning that he's not sure Jake Majors is out 6-8 weeks.  He's hoping it might be only a few weeks.  🤘

6-8 seems like a lot even for a high ankle sprain. The additional yardage this year is not showing up on the scoreboard due to the poor RZ offense. Majors being out will only make it worse. Not having Bijan is probably the biggest factor, but getting Majors back is real important.

As an extra note, Brooks seems to have a higher YPC average due to his ability to knock out home runs, but Bijan helped the RZ offense more due to his ability to make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

6-8 seems like a lot even for a high ankle sprain. The additional yardage this year is not showing up on the scoreboard due to the poor RZ offense. Majors being out will only make it worse. Not having Bijan is probably the biggest factor, but getting Majors back is real important.

As an extra note, Brooks seems to have a higher YPC average due to his ability to knock out home runs, but Bijan helped the RZ offense more due to his ability to make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

FWIW, we were not a good redzone offense last year either. Scored TD's on about 60% of trips.

2021 team was actually quite good in the redzone. Scored TD's on 75% of trips.

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

Think it was Gerry (?) who said at one point last week that if Hutson is good to go then he'll probably start at center against cougar high. I thought that was surprising, considering his lack of time there and Robertson looking decent against OU. 

I think a lot of the comments on Robertson looking good were based on the situation. He was thrown into a really bad situation and performed admirably. That doesnt mean he performed well.

Hutson has been getting the second team center reps for most of camp/the season so that tracks. Also I don’t want to rag on Robertson’s performance given the circumstances but he was definitely not having a “we have to keep this guy in the field!” game

• Hook 'Em 1

Don't get Wally Pipped, Jake.

I wouldn’t worry about that. I think the whole “bench Majors!” Crusade has been put to bed after seeing what that looks like. Hutson is worse at G than Majors is at C, I don’t think Hutson is going to be some revelation at a more difficult position.

Who I really hope to see over the next couple of weeks is Neto.

6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Who I really hope to see over the next couple of weeks is Neto.

IT guys were talking this morning about how much of an improvement he would be in the run game over Conner. Is his pass blocking that horrendous?

Edited by Red Five
website fuckery

1 hour ago, Hard Times said:

Rojo was a big factor in the red zone last year as well.  The guy just managed to get the hardest yards.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, JBJ said:

Rojo was a big factor in the red zone last year as well.  The guy just managed to get the hardest yards.

100%. I think Texas scores vs OU with Rojo. He was better than Bijan in short yardage situations.  Sometimes aggression trumps patience.  The OL is blocking better this year, but still has way too many busts. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

IT guys were talking this morning about how much of an improvement he would be in the run game over Conner. Is his pass blocking that horrendous?

Haven’t seen enough of him to say but with some pretty JAGgy fronts the next couple weeks I’d like to see them get him some meaningful series and find out. They will value Connor’s experience even more with Majors out though so I realize I am yelling at clouds.

12 minutes ago, Atticus said:

The main way this season can get derailed is if Quinn gets hurt, so having Conner’s above average pass blocking is a major benefit. 

You just can not have 2 guards that will have a couple assignment busts a game. Despite Brook's production, Texas is a passing team. 

On 10/16/2023 at 10:55 AM, JBJ said:

On 10/16/2023 at 11:02 AM, Codaxx said:

100%. I think Texas scores vs OU with Rojo. He was better than Bijan in short yardage situations.  Sometimes aggression trumps patience.  The OL is blocking better this year, but still has way too many busts. 

Yeah Rojo was awesome in short yardage situations

7 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

It Hutson can't go this weekend and Majors is ready soon, it seems possible Hutson may be headed for a redshirt (which he should have gotten last year if the OL room wasn't a mess).  He's only played in 2 games so far.

Unless his rehab is not going well, I'm not convinced Hutson is a redshirt candidate this season.  He's only a sophomore, and I doubt Texas plans on more than 2 additional years of production from him.  

25 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Name a Texas player who has had a bigger turnaround than Jones.  I have to go all the way back to Stanley Richard. His nickname was Toast for three years, and then he was a 1st team All-American and a first round draft pick.

John Harris senior year...

1,051yds rec in 2014

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

OL was trash today, Banks has clearly taken a step backwards. The interior just gets no push, because the LG and C are JAGs.

I wonder if Majors was back to full health though. I seem to recall reading a report that he'd play this game but might be toughing it some.

17 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Someone mentioned Hudson had setback this week and forced Majors to play this week, otherwise sounded like he wouldn't have.

Those two guys being injured at the same time is an absolute killer. Despite have some actual depth this season, the injury bug has managed to disproportionately affect the OL. And it appears Neto has been unable to unseat Hayden Conner. I figure if he was ready, Flood would have him playing. I believe pass protection might be what's holding him back. At least we escaped with a win tonight. Hopefully everyone gets healthier by the next one.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, sith_horn said:

And it appears Neto has been unable to unseat Hayden Conner. I figure if he was ready, Flood would have him playing. I believe pass protection might be what's holding him back. At least we escaped with a win tonight. Hopefully everyone gets healthier by the next one.

Some discussion on OTF after today's game about whether SARK should ask Flood to replace Hayden at left OG since Murphy will probably be starting QB next week.  Focus on running the ball more often with two better run blocking guards in the game. 

Hayden would still rotate in, but his number of plays would be reduced.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

OL was trash today, Banks has clearly taken a step backwards. The interior just gets no push, because the LG and C are JAGs.

Banks has been dealing with an ankle injury most of the year.. I think is more about health, than regression 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I think Texas has a short yardage issue. Conner and Majors both struggle to anchor the LOS in those situations. Adding Neto might really help in those situations 

Makes you wonder where Neto is in his pass pro.