Texas O-line talk

Coach pop a bitch

1 minute ago, Mother mopar said:
15 minutes ago, Codaxx said:
I think Texas has a short yardage issue. Conner and Majors both struggle to anchor the LOS in those situations. Adding Neto might really help in those situations 

Or we could do more than the same 3 plays.. dive..trap and I/Z. I'm all for a slant, rubs routes, something to mix it up.

It’s embarrassing at this point. The Texas OL shouldn’t need misdirection to get a 1/2 yard. It’s one thing is it happens vs teams like Georgia, but it’s consistent and not vs high level competition 

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

I think Texas has a short yardage issue. Conner and Majors both struggle to anchor the LOS in those situations. Adding Neto might really help in those situations 

Do we really have a short yardage problem outside of the red zone? Maybe I'm wrong but seems like we don't have huge issues outside of the red zone. 

Feels like it's more of a red zone issue vs short yardage issue. For whatever reason, inside the 5 we are fucking terrible. 

• Like 1

Do we really have a short yardage problem outside of the red zone? Maybe I'm wrong but seems like we don't have huge issues outside of the red zone. 
Feels like it's more of a red zone issue vs short yardage issue. For whatever reason, inside the 5 we are fucking terrible. 

Play calling and formations are different. They’ll go to the same bs formation and just a handful of plays. Might as well line up the regular offense. Or just bring in all of the Oline to block.

38 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

This oline is....not good, and seems to be getting worse as the year goes on. 

If Banks is injured that explains a lot, but we have JAGS at LG and C. It was never going to be good, because it is limited by those 2's lack of strength and athleticism. 

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I'm going to guess it's similar to the problems we had with those teams last year that sold out to stop the run.  When we present a credible option through the air everything gets easier.  Short fields take that away instead of defensive formations.

• Like 1

It's like Sark is as adamant about running the ball in goal to go situations as he was about going deep early in games earlier in the season. We're not a team that can just tell a defense "here's what we're going to do, stop us". It'd be nice if we were, but we're not, and we need to stop pretending we are. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

Hayden Conner is absolutely abysmal at run blocking. He makes loose contact, then disengages almost immediately. His guy also gets in the hole more often than you'd like.

A major positive coming out of this game is the reinsertion of Cole Hutson. After the major gaffe that led to MM's fumble, Hutson replace Campbell and the OL looked a bit more cohesive on passing downs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Hayden Conner is absolutely abysmal at run blocking. He makes loose contact, then disengages almost immediately. His guy also gets in the hole more often than you'd like.

A major positive coming out of this game is the reinsertion of Cole Hutson. After the major gaffe that led to MM's fumble, Hutson replace Campbell and the OL looked a bit more cohesive on passing downs.

The problem being it wasn't Campbell that whiffed that block on the fumble it was Conner. For some reason they asked him to pull to get to the playside DE and that DE ran right past him and into Murphy. Conner furthered fucked up because he didn't even chase the defender instead he just stood there looking lost.

Hyaden Conner is the worst player in the 2 deep and there isn't a close 2nd. I would guess his play was directly responsible for 14-21 lost points today.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

The problem being it wasn't Campbell that whiffed that block on the fumble it was Conner. For some reason they asked him to pull to get to the playside DE and that DE ran right past him and into Murphy. Conner furthered fucked up because he didn't even chase the defender instead he just stood there looking lost.

Hyaden Conner is the worst player in the 2 deep and there isn't a close 2nd. I would guess his play was directly responsible for 14-21 lost points today.

Underwhelming as he’s been, Hayden Conner has been better than Cole Hutson. Y’all have some short memories when it comes to OL play.

If Neto was ready, he would be out there. We went through this same song and dance with Karic replacing Okafor 2 years ago as people swore Karic was better, and it turned out Karic also sucked.

Hutson replaced Campbell at a certain point in the second half. Not sure if it was injury or performance related.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Red Five said:

The tackles are great. The center is mediocre. The guards.... well, Campbell is improved. 

We need to hit the portal at OG if Hutson and Neto aren't as good as Conner. 

3 guards played yesterday and according to PFF they were all bad in the run game. All of them received basically a 52 run grade. Pretty much tells you why Texas struggles to run in short yardage situations 

• Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

3 guards played yesterday and according to PFF they were all bad in the run game. All of them received basically a 52 run grade. Pretty much tells you why Texas struggles to run in short yardage situations 

maybe Brandon Baker could slide in at guard year 1 if the others don't progress this offseason.

Edited by Bevo14

If Neto was ready, he would be out there. We went through this same song and dance with Karic replacing Okafor 2 years ago as people swore Karic was better, and it turned out Karic also sucked.
Hutson replaced Campbell at a certain point in the second half. Not sure if it was injury or performance related.
No injuries in the game per Gerry/Bobby.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

I have no doubt Neto is probably a liability in pass pro. I do think Flood could be working him in, especially yesterday. With Ewers out, the focus of the offense has flipped. Texas is now a run first team. I wouldn’t mind seeing Neto in the short yardage package. I could be completely wrong, but it like his aggressiveness. Neto may not be ready for 100% of the snaps, but there is middle ground between 0% and 100%

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Codaxx said:

RIDICULOUS INTERIOR OL PLAY  🙄

(Thx Codaxx)

16 hours ago, pacman said:

The play to Sanders should have scored, rare case of poor blocking from Whittington there.

Upon a second view Whitt blocked the guy to the outside and Sanders ran outside right into the block. Had Sanders cut inside he gets in. Would've been tough. DB did his job. Whitt pretty much does his job. Sanders has to put a foot inn the ground there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Upon a second view Whitt blocked the guy to the outside and Sanders ran outside right into the block. Had Sanders cut inside he gets in. Would've been tough. DB did his job. Whitt pretty much does his job. Sanders has to put a foot inn the ground there.

Murphy threw to his outside shoulder, Sanders turned to his outside shoulder, Sanders' momentum pretty much made it impossible for him to secure the catch AND turn up field while still beating pursuit. Additionally, the guy JWhitt was supposed to block was already at his heels once he secured the catch. 

Whitt ran a fake route before going to block his guy and the other guy got outside leverage. Whitt would have needed to maul him to the ground or out of bounds for the play to work, but the other guy made a play. Whitt blew the block, the other guy blew the play up.

I think we may be on to something here….

1st & Goal at BYU 8
(9:11 - 4th) Texas Penalty, False Start (Gunnar Helm) to the BYU 13
1st & 0 at BYU 13
(9:07 - 4th) Maalik Murphy pass complete to Adonai Mitchell for 13 yds for a TD (Bert Auburn KICK)

4 hours ago, Atticus said:

Murphy threw to his outside shoulder, Sanders turned to his outside shoulder, Sanders' momentum pretty much made it impossible for him to secure the catch AND turn up field while still beating pursuit. Additionally, the guy JWhitt was supposed to block was already at his heels once he secured the catch. 

Whitt ran a fake route before going to block his guy and the other guy got outside leverage. Whitt would have needed to maul him to the ground or out of bounds for the play to work, but the other guy made a play. Whitt blew the block, the other guy blew the play up.

You are ALWAYS going to block that outside. Always. So Sanders knowing that has to be aware of that and start preparing his feet to make that move upfield. That's what athletes do. His momentum carried him outside because he allowed it to. Be aware of where you are on the field and help your QB. He is throwing it where you are. If you are somewhere else that's where the ball would be. Its like when a receiver, needing a first down, doesn't run his curl past the sticks.

4 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Heard this from Bobby Burton

34 called runs

7 went for 0 or negative yards

12 went for 1-2 yards

so 19 went for 2 or less yards out of 34 runs, not the consistency you are looking for out of the run game

Apologize, checked this and it is 12 going for 2 or less. Not nearly as bad 

10 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I wonder if we can move Christian Jones to LG and leave Cam Williams at RT. I know they've cross trained a lot of those guys.

That was a conversation during the summer, I think that ship has sailed now. I doubt Jones has gotten any work at Guard 

19 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Are you certain? He did come up gimpy late versus BYU. Believe he may have been the only Oline starter in at the time.

I heard nothing and was surprised that he didn’t play today but wasn’t tracking it either.

Jones went down in Tuesday’s practice 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Atticus said:

TCU's front has been handled by most of the teams they faced this year. Our guys couldn't get much push for much of the game. Much room to grow

The inconsistent 2nd halfs are partly due to poor offensive line play.  Really expected a lot more from this current OL group -- although some are playing banged up.

We just aren't that good at run blocking.

On 10/29/2023 at 11:50 AM, Hookem2147 said:

You were saying this about Campbell before he finally got his shot....

Hutson should be getting reps at LG instead of RG

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

You mean when he spent the entire last year redshirting before struggling early this year?

Not sure your point. I never said preseason he wasn’t ready.

You proved my point ...he struggled early but he's played better than Conner....he's played better than Hutson....so yeah Neto may struggle but he has more talent than both of those guys and it will help out more long run. But lets continue to have Conner looking into the backfield not blocking a single soul.

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You proved my point ...he struggled early but he's played better than Conner....he's played better than Hutson....so yeah Neto may struggle but he has more talent than both of those guys and it will help out more long run. But lets continue to have Conner looking into the backfield not blocking a single soul.

It took Campbell an entire redshirt year + like half a season to come into his own. Why do we think rolling out Neto in game 11 would be a good idea? I still don’t understand your point. We’ve never seen him in extended action. It’s wishcasting.

They made the change to Campbell when he showed he was ready and I’m sure they would do the same at another spot if the same thing happened. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

It took Campbell an entire redshirt year + like half a season to come into his own. Why do we think rolling out Neto in game 11 would be a good idea? I still don’t understand your point. We’ve never seen him in extended action. It’s wishcasting.

They made the change to Campbell when he showed he was ready and I’m sure they would do the same at another spot if the same thing happened. 

Did Neto not also redshirt? Can't be much fucking worse than conner?