The National

Bearlyhangingon

Alligator through Sleep Well Beast is an amazing run of albums.  They're a great band.  I've never seen them live though, and even though I always hear how amazing they are live, all the footage I've seen on Youtube leaves me unimpressed.  Matt seems like a lot of the time he's singing live he's drunk, flat, and off key.  What am I missing?

Edited by Tom

Just got mine. Seen them twice before -- once on Boxer tour at Granada (got to hang out with the band backstage after the show) and then for the album after that at House of Blues. Had tickets a couple years ago for their show on same day as Texas-OU and got too piss drunk to make the show. Oops.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 7/26/2018 at 9:38 AM, Tom said:

Matt seems like a lot of the time he's singing live he's drunk, flat, and off key.  What am I missing?

You are missing a great show. No his singing isn't as good live. It doesn't matter. 

I Am Easy to Find:

01 You Had Your Soul With You
02 Quiet Light
03 Roman Holiday
04 Oblivions
05 The Pull of You
06 Hey Rosey
07 I Am Easy to Find
08 Her Father in the Pool
09 Where Is Her Head
10 Not in Kansas
11 So Far So Fast
12 Dust Swirls in Strange Light
13 Hairpin Turns
14 Rylan
15 Underwater
16 Light Years

I could see them tacking it on after Houston before they take their break. They do seem to like amphitheaters and concert halls which we don't really have that great of options. Closest to that option would be Bomb Factory or Toyota Music Factory. They also aren't doing Red Rocks or Colorado in general so I'm sure that's in the works. They could still tack on Red Rocks after Houston. IIRC, the shows last tour were Dallas>KC>Red Rocks. 

Edited by mdmost

12 hours ago, mdmost said:

I could see them tacking it on after Houston before they take their break. They do seem to like amphitheaters and concert halls which we don't really have that great of options. Closest to that option would be Bomb Factory or Toyota Music Factory. They also aren't doing Red Rocks or Colorado in general so I'm sure that's in the works. They could still tack on Red Rocks after Houston. IIRC, the shows last tour were Dallas>KC>Red Rocks. 

They would crush it at the bomb factory. I saw LCD there and it was fantastic. 

I doubt no Dallas on the ticket is a venue issue. That would seem like a cop-out excuse. I think they went with 2 Texas stops and picked Austin over Dallas. 

Dallas tends to get tacked on as a show after initial announcements. The one last year wasn't announced till well into the summer after ACL lineups came out. But I'm planning to go see them in Atlanta at a venue that looks exactly like the Bomb Factory. I mean a carbon copy.

Dallas tends to get tacked on as a show after initial announcements. The one last year wasn't announced till well into the summer after ACL lineups came out. But I'm planning to go see them in Atlanta at a venue that looks exactly like the Bomb Factory. I mean a carbon copy.

It’s a good venue, I saw Ghost there a couple months ago. I like how the stage is elevated so that it’s easy to see from the floor. And the Battery is pretty cool with plenty of places to booze and grub beforehand.

17 hours ago, mdmost said:

So glad I got to see them at the Granada when they came through on the "Boxer" tour. So fucking great. Then I saw them at House of Blues, which was pretty good. I've had tickets for -- and missed -- two shows at Southside Ballroom. Why can't they play Bomb Factory? The place in Grand Prairie is great in every way except having a shitty location.

4 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

Got 2 to the Houston show.

I'm holding off.  I'll just stop in and buy them at the box office in person to avoid the 30% service fee.  I really wish they had opted for an indoor venue.  An outdoor show in September in Houston is not something I'm thrilled about, and I think their acoustics are 100 times better at indoor venues.  Even when I saw them at Red Rocks, it didn't hold a flame to their show at ACL Live.  I still get shivers thinking about them closing the show with Vanderlyle Crybaby.

Cool. We actually went with upper level seats. Wife is tired of people she can't see over. We may try to hit up a Braves game before. The Phillies are in town. 
And yeah, The National aren't for everyone and that's okay.

Braves and a show is a very solid day. Getcha a Terrapin Chopsecutioner IPA and a Holeman & Finch burger from the stand in right field.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
There's a science to walking through windows without you
All of my thoughts of you
Bullets through rotten fruit
Come apart at the seams
Now I know what dying means
I am not my rosy self
Left my roses on my shelf
Take the wild ones, they're my favorites
It's the side effects that save us
Grace
  • Like 1

I gave my heart to the Army, the only sentimental thing I could think of.

--------

Berninger explained what a Lemonworld is

"A Lemonworld is an invented, sexy, weird place where you can escape from New York. I had some image of it being a big beautiful, maybe semi-decrepit house. You know the documentary Grey Gardens? It's set in a house out in the Hamptons, it's about this crazy mother and daughter who live there in their own little world. It's also very depressing and odd and beautiful. Anyways, I had this sense of a Lemonworld as a place where these two sexy sisters who wear bathing suits all the time and drink a lot, y'know, 'put flowers in my mouth and we can say we invented a summer lovin' torture party' — that's awesome! That's sexy, weird, and fun. My wife and her sister are very close in age, they're both hilarious and sexy and brilliant, so I think I was channeling them a little bit. It's a fun world."

• 2 months later...

Halfway through it, and what's with the female co-vox on all these albums now? Its fine but fuck duets, i just wanna hear matt's voice sing some poetry man. And I'm also not sure how that'll all translate live, and the national is nothing if not a spectacular live band (last tour notwithstanding, tbh). That said, the immediate song that jumps out to me so far (apart from the drip fed singles) is Hey Rosey. I can't wait to hear matt sing it instead of the guest vocals.

Also, so far Bryan Devendorf hasn't really featured on this album and he's my favorite part of TN.

Edited by Bottlecap

I think the female co-vocals are because Carin Besser, Matt's wife, wrote most of the lyrics for the new album so maybe the idea was to have a female singing portions alongside Matt. Waiting on my copy to come in today so I can listen. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I think the female co-vocals are because Carin Besser, Matt's wife, wrote most of the lyrics for the new album so maybe the idea was to have a female singing portions alongside Matt. Waiting on my copy to come in today so I can listen. 

Makes sense, and these are very creative lyrics. But they'll obviously need to tour with a female guest vocalist or this album won't translate. They probably will this year, but I hope they don't get, like, one of the other members to falsetto through the female parts on future tours. 

1 hour ago, Bottlecap said:

Halfway through it, and what's with the female co-vox on all these albums now? Its fine but fuck duets, i just wanna hear matt's voice sing some poetry man. And I'm also not sure how that'll all translate live, and the national is nothing if not a spectacular live band (last tour notwithstanding, tbh). That said, the immediate song that jumps out to me so far (apart from the drip fed singles) is Hey Rosey. I can't wait to hear matt sing it instead of the guest vocals.

Also, so far Bryan Devendorf hasn't really featured on this album and he's my favorite part of TN.

Yeah I got like 3 songs in this morning and the female vocals were a huge turnoff if I'm being honest. The National and Matt's voice are inseparable.