Washington DC

midtown

21 hours ago, mycox said:

Try Pisco y Nazca and Mari Vanna if you want something different. Pisco y Nazca isn't a quick meal, but has excellent Peruvian food.

Mari Vanna is a very good Russian/ Georgian restaurant with quick service. It's a pretty small place.

Mari Vanna is a good call

On 11/18/2021 at 5:57 PM, Sbbruin said:

@phdhorn excellent stuff.  We're staying at The Lyle just NE of DuPont Circle, so a lot of those food spots will be around there.  Much appreciate the detail.

Yeah, I was just down in SD a couple of weeks ago.  That little city has really grownsed up.  Used to be Mexican food and seafood, and that was it.  It is a great town overall.

I want to correct @phdhornon two things:  DC has changed its food truck laws and we now have a very vibrant food truck scene.  It’s whether or not they survived the pandemic.  It’s worth walking around if you see a cluster and exploring.  Just avoid the greasy hot dog trucks.

Museum of Native American History has an excellent cafe.  First class and super tasty.  The rest of the Smithsonian food options are basically chicken tenders/greasy pizza. 

Hope you enjoyed looking at Georgetown.  Your kid should know: it’s widely considered inaccessible to the rest of the city due to traffic.  Hoyas rarely leave Georgetown because the Metro doesn’t run out there and the traffic is LA at rush hour nightmarish.  Your kid is not going to want to hike to Foggy Bottom to catch a train, no matter how much the admissions rep pushes the idea. 

With any restaurants in the business district, make sure they have actually reopened.  The pandemic just annihilated foot traffic downtown.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

I want to correct @phdhornon two things:  DC has changed its food truck laws and we now have a very vibrant food truck scene.  It’s whether or not they survived the pandemic.  It’s worth walking around if you see a cluster and exploring.  Just avoid the greasy hot dog trucks.

Thx for the update, good to know for when I visit next.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

Some other cool shit. Actually saw two funerals at Arlington National – one Marine Corps and one Army. Most folks knew to stand still and silent when they played Taps, which gave me the feels as it brought back some memories growing up the son of a Marine. 

D99A9DA4-32A7-4C35-891A-F1B0F894A708.jpeg

46DA30A9-7689-4F40-B13D-D2B66D764DB7.jpeg

33B89C9F-984A-477C-828A-15B91A7DCF40.jpeg

30A7269A-2B76-4AC5-B5C9-6BAD86BDE6DA.jpeg

0D947F50-2A6E-4631-B21E-E69721757FD4.jpeg

1EF835E7-CD8C-4609-848C-FE875A772731.jpeg

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 3

• 5 months later...

I searched.  The only thread I found involved a multi-state road trip.

I'm going for a work conference in late July and will be there for 4 days.  I will have a bunch of free time and am staying at the J.W. Marriott.  I went to D.C. when I was a kid and saw the Vietnam Wall, Smithsonian, The Kennedy Center, the monuments and memorials as well as Arlington.  I would love to visit them again, but I'm also interested in other museums and restaurants.  Any tips?  This is the only place I've found due to the proximity to the hotel and then I stopped searching:

https://www.ebbitt.com/menus/

Is the White House tour worth the time?

23 minutes ago, tigol said:

I'm going for a work conference in late July and will be there for 4 days.  I will have a bunch of free time and am staying at the J.W. Marriott.  I went to D.C. when I was a kid and saw the Vietnam Wall, Smithsonian, The Kennedy Center, the monuments and memorials as well as Arlington.  I would love to visit them again, but I'm also interested in other museums and restaurants.  Any tips?  This is the only place I've found due to the proximity to the hotel and then I stopped searching:

Yes it is, but should not be a priority. And if you have time also go check out Old Town Alexandria for an evening. Nice to walk around. Good food, from high end to street tacos and good sea food from the Chesapeake Bay. 

I would go to Mount Vernon over the White House.

What are you into? You can easily fill up 4 days just on the mall hitting the Smithsonian. Not sure how long it has been, but they are always changing out exhibits. 

For me it is the one city to be a true tourist. I love DC. My daughter goes to school there and I am so damn jealous of all the stuff she does. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Yes it is, but should not be a priority. And if you have time also go check out Old Town Alexandria for an evening. Nice to walk around. Good food, from high end to street tacos and good sea food from the Chesapeake Bay. 

I would go to Mount Vernon over the White House.

What are you into? You can easily fill up 4 days just on the mall hitting the Smithsonian. Not sure how long it has been, but they are always changing out exhibits. 

For me it is the one city to be a true tourist. I love DC. My daughter goes to school there and I am so damn jealous of all the stuff she does. 

Thanks!  I'm into history, art, culture, sports, food, cocktails, you name it.  I'd love a walk.  The Freedom Trail in Boston was fascinating to me and I loved the journey.  Your Mount Vernon suggestion is excellent.  Ideally, I'd like to spend 4-5 hours that I'm away from work to hit some targeted locations and then have a nice dinner.  I might just dedicate that time to the Smithsonian for a couple of days. 

Edited by tigol
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, tigol said:

Thanks!  I'm into history, art, culture, sports, food, cocktails, you name it.  I'd love a walk.  The Freedom Trail in Boston was fascinating to me and I loved the journey.  Your Mount Vernon suggestion is excellent.  Ideally, I'd like to spend 4-5 hours that I'm away from work to hit some targeted locations and then have a nice dinner.  I might just dedicate that time to the Smithsonian for a couple of days. 

OK, so if you have an afternoon free lunch at Mount Vernon and do the tour. It is a gorgeous drive if you have a car. On the way back you go through Old Town and grab a drink and dinner. There is a cool art gallery there called the Torpedo Factory. Also a good Irish pub I recommend. Mussels are great. 

Smithsonian during the day is always fun. And plenty of places near the hotel to eat. if you like History and need to kill off a few hours the National Archives is a cool place. Or one of my favorites, the Air and Space Museum. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It’ll be hot as fuck and unless you are from Houston, you will not be ready for the humidity.

Dont try to do too much in one day.  A “air and space, natural history, and  Arlington cemetery day” is going to make you miserable . Pick a museum and focus on it, then have a lunch, nap, and make evening plans. 

DC is very walkable.  And downtown and most neighborhoods are very safe, unless you are in front of a night club at 1 in the morning.  Check the 9:30 club and Anthem and see if somebody cool is playing.

Lincoln Monument is always worth visiting.  There’s something about standing in the shadow of the Great Emancipator and reading the Gettysburg address that makes me well up with pride. 

Off the beaten path museums: Portrait, Hirshhorn, Phillips. 

Blow it out meals: Le Diplomat and Dauphine.  Other than the raw bar, Old Ebbitt is straight off the back of the Sysco truck, but it’s an institution.  You won’t see any politicos, just a fuck ton of tourists. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Another vote here for Old Town Alexandria - it's really cool, easily accessible via Metro, and a totally different vibe from DC proper.

I also strongly recommend the National Cathedral.  Even if you're not religious, it's an awe-inspiring building - one of the largest cathedrals in the world - with tons of history that is entwined with major historical events in our nation.  It's also accessible via Metro - just go to AU-Tenleytown stop and either walk or take the bus south on Wisconsin Avenue to the cathedral.  

spacer.png

Edited by sasquatch69
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tigol said:

Ebbitt is a place to say that you've gone, food is a solid B.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

It’ll be hot as fuck and unless you are from Houston, you will not be ready for the humidity.

Dont try to do too much in one day.  A “air and space, natural history, and  Arlington cemetery day” is going to make you miserable . Pick a museum and focus on it, then have a lunch, nap, and make evening plans. 

DC is very walkable.  And downtown and most neighborhoods are very safe, unless you are in front of a night club at 1 in the morning.  Check the 9:30 club and Anthem and see if somebody cool is playing.

Lincoln Monument is always worth visiting.  There’s something about standing in the shadow of the Great Emancipator and reading the Gettysburg address that makes me well up with pride. 

Off the beaten path museums: Portrait, Hirshhorn, Phillips. 

Blow it out meals: Le Diplomat and Dauphine.  Other than the raw bar, Old Ebbitt is straight off the back of the Sysco truck, but it’s an institution.  You won’t see any politicos, just a fuck ton of tourists. 

Yep.  I'm not exactly GI Joe, but I definitely had a lot of pride when I lived there.  Not a lot of things better than just having lunch next to the Washington Monument

Edited by closetohumping
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Alexandria is not super accessible by metro.  It’s a fucking hike from the blue line.  I’d ride over and grab an Uber. 

They have the free trolley. Metro there (since it is a cool run and you see a lot of the sites from across the Potomac), grab the trolley, and then uber back to the hotel. Fuck cost, the metro sucks late at night with their schedule. 

Agree about focusing on a place during the day. And I second the Holocaust Museum. But agree it will wreck your day. 

BTW, since you mentioned that you have been to Arlington I left it off. But I have some family there and always try to go to the Changing of the Guard. 

Edited by InkaUtexas
  • Hook 'Em 2

I don’t cross the River much anymore since I’m in MD. 

CHECK THE WMATA SITE BEFORE YOU GO!!!!!   Metro is broken or closed for repairs a lot and it can fuck up your plans.  I know the Yellow line bridge is supposed to close down at some point for repairs, just not sure when.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, sasquatch69 said:

Another vote here for Old Town Alexandria - it's really cool, easily accessible via Metro, and a totally different vibe from DC proper.

I also strongly recommend the National Cathedral.  Even if you're not religious, it's an awe-inspiring building - one of the largest cathedrals in the world - with tons of history that is entwined with major historical events in our nation.  It's also accessible via Metro - just go to AU-Tenleytown stop and either walk or take the bus south on Wisconsin Avenue to the cathedral.  

spacer.png

The Cathedral is worth a trip just to see the NASA Stained Glass. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Great city.

Ebbit grill - it ain’t Michelin 3 star gastroscience with anise foam and truffle puffs - but it’s cool - sit at the bar, order crab cakes and drink beer.  Black and Tan, half and half - all that pub stuff.  The proper way to do that place is at the bar and, if you can hit a holiday (I went 3/17), they’ll party hard.  Had a bagpipe and drum duo.

From there you can walk to:

the theater where Lincoln was shot

the mall which has a whole lot of everything from Da Vinci art at the National Art Gallery to the Korean War memorial (my number 1) to food trucks.

the White House (or the episcopal church across the street which gives tours - Lincoln was Presbyterian I think but attended there).

bar on the roof of W hotel has a good view but it’s a little uppity.

Lobby of the Willard hotel where Grant used to chill (and the battle hymn of the republic was written).

Or 1,000 other cool things.

My suggestion is read up and figure out what really interests you and then try to select things to do near each other.

For example Smithsonians and mall memorials - all within walking distance of each other.

White house and Ford’s theater, archive and Art gallery - walking distance of each other.

Great city.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Good rec's already. 

If you have a car, the Udvar-Hazy air and space museum by Dulles is pretty awesome.  Enola Gay, Space shuttle, SR-71....

This is all true, but Dulles is a solid 30 minute drive, at speed, and if DC traffic does it’s thing, it can be a nightmare getting to/from. It’s on a major commuter corridor. 

I think the WH is kinda meh, but that’s me.  A Capitol Tour will require coordinating with your congressional office. Don’t worry about your partisan politics: the twenty something at the desk will be ecstatic to talk to you about your visit instead of be screamed at about whatever issue du jour of the day. If your Congress critter is a bust, try your Senators as well. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, CoTex said:

Great city.

Ebbit grill - it ain’t Michelin 3 star gastroscience with anise foam and truffle puffs - but it’s cool - sit at the bar, order crab cakes and drink beer.  Black and Tan, half and half - all that pub stuff.  The proper way to do that place is at the bar and, if you can hit a holiday (I went 3/17), they’ll party hard.  Had a bagpipe and drum duo.

From there you can walk to:

the theater where Lincoln was shot

the mall which has a whole lot of everything from Da Vinci art at the National Art Gallery to the Korean War memorial (my number 1) to food trucks.

the White House (or the episcopal church across the street which gives tours - Lincoln was Presbyterian I think but attended there).

bar on the roof of W hotel has a good view but it’s a little uppity.

Lobby of the Willard hotel where Grant used to chill (and the battle hymn of the republic was written).

Or 1,000 other cool things.

My suggestion is read up and figure out what really interests you and then try to select things to do near each other.

For example Smithsonians and mall memorials - all within walking distance of each other.

White house and Ford’s theater, archive and Art gallery - walking distance of each other.

Great city.

I'd imagine DC is pretty hated on this board but I've lived in a lot of places and it's a great city for a myriad of reasons.  Does it have some drawbacks, yea of course.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I'd imagine DC is pretty hated on this board but I've lived in a lot of places and it's a great city for a myriad of reasons.  Does it have some drawbacks, yea of course.

Everyone I know who has lived there has loved it.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

This is all true, but Dulles is a solid 30 minute drive, at speed, and if DC traffic does it’s thing, it can be a nightmare getting to/from. It’s on a major commuter corridor. 

I think the WH is kinda meh, but that’s me.  A Capitol Tour will require coordinating with your congressional office. Don’t worry about your partisan politics: the twenty something at the desk will be ecstatic to talk to you about your visit instead of be screamed at about whatever issue du jour of the day. If your Congress critter is a bust, try your Senators as well. 

Agree about Dulles. If it is a must see, take the metro out and Uber. But prepare to sit in traffic. 

Agree about the WH. Went as a kid and even a behind the scene tour was meh. With 4 days plus work you will not be bored. 

Just now, dcbc said:

Everyone I know who has lived there has loved it.

I was so happy when my daughter got into GW. I told her take advantage and love the city. 

Plan the days to see cool shit, explore at night! You are at a great location. And yeah, the comment above, do not over look the food trucks for lunch around the mall. some good food is found there. 

• Hook 'Em 2

When you guys are talking about Dulles, you mean the airport?  The Udvar museum is out that way and definitely is worth the trip.  Traffic wasn't bad at all when we went out that direction last summer.  Worst traffic was Richmond to D.C. on 95.

Edited by dcbc

3 minutes ago, dcbc said:

When you guys are talking about Dulles, you mean the airport?  The Udvar museum is out that way and definitely is worth the trip.  Traffic wasn't bad at all when we went out that direction last summer.  Worst traffic was Richmond to D.C. on 95.

Yes, and you can metro pretty close and then uber. Predicting DC traffic is like predicting Texas Football's win record. 

23 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Amazing aircraft are displayed. Stuff you cannot see any where else. 

And I thought Udvar was amazing.  What we talking about here?  Or I could just google it.

SR.jpg

Okay.  I googled it.  I think we're talking about the same place.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, dcbc said:

Why is Dulles a "must see"?  I'm sure the answer is a page or two back.

Udvar-Hazy is a Smithsonian Airplane Museum next to Dulles Airport (IAD). In DC, unless you live in Reston, VA, everyone hates IAD.  I won’t pick my wife up from there.  It’s a fucking nightmare to get to. Cool mid century modern terminal tho. 

Look, if you have a rental car or a friend who will drive and make a day of it, Udvar-Hazy is worth it.  If you are downtown and flying in and out of DCA, why would you haul your ass all the way out to the Austin equivalent of Georgetown when you have all of Austin available?  Just do DC. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

Udvar-Hazy is a Smithsonian Airplane Museum next to Dulles Airport (IAD). In DC, unless you live in Reston, VA, everyone hates IAD.  I won’t pick my wife up from there.  It’s a fucking nightmare to get to. Cool mid century modern terminal tho. 

Look, if you have a rental car or a friend who will drive and make a day of it, Udvar-Hazy is worth it.  If you are downtown and flying in and out of DCA, why would you haul your ass all the way out to the Austin equivalent of Georgetown when you have all of Austin available?  Just do DC. 

I dunno.  The A&S museum on the mall wasn't open last year and we went to U/H, which kicked ass.  We rolled out there in the morning, and rolled back to Arlington N/C that afternoon.  Productive day.  But Udvar was the best part.

Edited by dcbc

I get it, if you are a plane nerd, it’s your bag. But to come to DC to do Udvar Hazel is like going to New Orleans just to do the WW2 museum, except the WW2 museum is in Meterie. There’s other stuff downtown:

Lincoln, Washington, Vietnam, Natural History, African American History, Native American History, Nat. Achives, National Museum of Art, American History, Korea, WW2, DC War Monument, TJ.  And that’s just DC, and I missed a bunch of stuff.  

If you have a hard on for Udvar: Fly into IAD, do an overnight at an airport hotel and see the museum, then go into town and fly out of DCA. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Important point to remember in regards to the monuments. They're open 24 hours. Jefferson, Lincoln, MLK, Vietnam, all of them except inside the Washington obviously. You don't have to go during the day when it's packed with tourists.

In regards to the food, I'd skip Ebbits. Food is very meh. Maybe go for a drink due to the history. Near the JW, Zaytinya, Rasika, and Centrolina are good restaurants that are walking distance. Something unique culinary wise to DC that isn't in a lot of US cities is Ethiopian food. My favorite is Zenebech but there are a lot of good ones. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, dcbc said:

And I thought Udvar was amazing.  What we talking about here?  Or I could just google it.

SR.jpg

Okay.  I googled it.  I think we're talking about the same place.

Smithsonian Aerospace is incredible.  Was last there for Reagan's funeral with my then 16 year old daughter (no pics) -- daughter was so thrilled to see Margaret Thatcher IRL as we entered the Capitol Rotunda -- we were in the front of the line to get in to pay our respects.

5 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Some good advice on this thread. Agree about Ethiopian food. 

This.

The best food on the mall itself is the cafeteria at Native American History, especially if you are doing Air and Space which is next door. A&S has very a overcrowded and yuck cafeteria, so just head out and walk next door when you get peckish, as Native American history is usually not crowded.  

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 2