Washington DC

midtown

21 hours ago, South Austin said:

Thanks @PorscheGuy. It’s a kid-free trip. I’m taking my girlfriend who’s never been there. I grew up half of my childhood just south of DC, but have only been there twice as an adult.

I booked at the JW Marriott, which had a pretty decent rate, and is close to the White House and most of the museums.

I took my kids to the Old Ebitt Grill on a trip in 2018. I don’t remember the food being anything to write home about, but it was a cool setting and I told my girlfriend that we’ll go for one meal.

I also told her about the Spy Museum. My kids loved it, but I also thought it was cool and worth a trip.

The food is good, but yea, not special. But great setting.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Co-sign.  Although their oyster selection actually is top-notch, IIRC.

Hitting Old Ebbit Happy Hour for 1/2 price raw bar is a absolute must for me every trip.   

As to other spots, I haven't been since before Covid so not up to speed but I'm a big fan of Estadio (Tapa's) and Le Diplomate (French).  Both were originally recommended to me by locals as 2 of their favs.  I like to hit at least one of those each trip.

18 hours ago, Skipper said:

Hitting Old Ebbit Happy Hour for 1/2 price raw bar is a absolute must for me every trip.   

As to other spots, I haven't been since before Covid so not up to speed but I'm a big fan of Estadio (Tapa's) and Le Diplomate (French).  Both were originally recommended to me by locals as 2 of their favs.  I like to hit at least one of those each trip.

Both very good. Still, if I'm giving people a "must eat" list in DC who want to have fun and not go broke, my two favorites are Cafe Mozart and Rasika.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump.  Booked dinners December 9-11 at Old Ebbitt Grill, Le Diplomate, and Annabelle.  Will probably just find casual spots for lunch that we can stroll into depending on where we're doing the tourist things.

I booked tickets at the African American History Museum, but everything else I want to see looks like it's walk-in only. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

I cannot stress enough how fantastic Cafe Mozart is. Homemade German food and German beer on tap. 

Sausage, pork chops, multiple schnitzels, sauerbraten, sauer kraut, red cabbage, potato salad, apple strudel. I mean Jesus Christ

I may take you up on the recommendation.  It's only 3-4 blocks from our hotel so it might be a good lunch spot.  I like German food and German beer.  The girlfriend, not so much, but she can be a go-along-get-along kind of woman.

59 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I may take you up on the recommendation.  It's only 3-4 blocks from our hotel so it might be a good lunch spot.  I like German food and German beer.  The girlfriend, not so much, but she can be a go-along-get-along kind of woman.

they have normal-ish stuff too. 

FYI if they are serving the pig knuckle, go for it. It's a deep fried ham hock. It's fucking awesome. 

Sausage sampler, some potato pancakes, some cucumber salad, and two liters of Spaten is the lunch of champions

21 hours ago, South Austin said:

Bump.  Booked dinners December 9-11 at Old Ebbitt Grill, Le Diplomate, and Annabelle.  Will probably just find casual spots for lunch that we can stroll into depending on where we're doing the tourist things.

I booked tickets at the African American History Museum, but everything else I want to see looks like it's walk-in only. 

There’s really not a lot of good options near the mall. Best meal on the mall/Smithsonian area is the Museum of the American Indian. Get the Mexican hot chocolate after. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My flight landed too late for Old Ebbitt happy hour. My hotel is close to 14th.

Pearl Dive Oyster Palace is a solid place for happy hour oysters. Was still hungry and went across the street to La Diplomat. Was chatting up a couple of cute girls and thought I was getting somewhere. That changed when 4 marine guys showed up in their Marine blue dress. Can't compete with that on Veterans Day.

Walked to the monument and checked out Round Robin bar. Kind of stuffy but cool spot for a drink. 5hat and the Willard is a nice place to walk around. 

Happened to find a seat at Old Ebbitt for the 11pm - 1am happy hour oysters.

Heading back to 14th. This city loves their whiskey and bourbon and lot's of options. I'm drunk. 

20211111_231520.jpg

Edited by mycox
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Jack Rose Dining Saloon is a must if you enjoy whiskey. Largest selection of whiskey I have ever seen. 

Reservations recommended but it's fairly easy to get a seat at the bar if you are solo. The food is also good. 

Edited by mycox

3 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

4 of us flying out to DC tomorrow.  2 days of sightseeing before a couple college tours Monday.  Teens 16 and 18.  What sights/museums are musts, and what are some lesser knowns?  Top 5?

From my last trip (Thanksgiving week of 2018), I loved the National Portrait Gallery, the Smithsonian Museum of American History, and the Air & Space Museum.  I've heard the latter might be limited due to construction.  I really liked the International Spy Museum as well.  

I missed the African American History Museum on that trip, but have tickets for my trip in December.

I loved the Newseum, but that closed during the pandemic.   

I'm not familiar with any of the "lesser known" museums.

9 minutes ago, South Austin said:

From my last trip (Thanksgiving week of 2018), I loved the National Portrait Gallery, the Smithsonian Museum of American History, and the Air & Space Museum

Didn't realize there was a Smithsonian of American History.  That just moved to the top of my list.  Air & Space was already there.  And the Holocaust Museum.

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Didn't realize there was a Smithsonian of American History.  That just moved to the top of my list.  Air & Space was already there.  And the Holocaust Museum.

Smithsonian Museum of American History - It's pretty badass. 

I've been to the Holocaust Museum, but it was during a break on a work trip in 2000.  I can't remember much, except it was the only time I've ever been in a museum and didn't say a word.  I'm debating about going back.  It's kind of a downer. 

I grew up in DC and worked at the Smithsonian. Plus I worked briefly as a tour guide for DC.

You won't have any trouble going to the "Big 3" (NHM, MAH, and A&SM) because they're grouped together on the Mall (NHM and MAH or next to each other, and the air and space is a 10-minute walk across the Mall from NHM.

While you're on the Mall, you really need to go to the art museums (National Gallery of Art and National Gallery of Art East. The latter is a really cool building and fun to track around in. If you really don't want to look at Art you can skip the National Gallery (but still take a quick walk through the East building). Down in that area is also the National Archives of course which is very much worth it.

That's going to take more than enough for two days, but if you want to get off the beaten path, I highly recommend Ford's Theater of course and the Bureau of Engraving (where they print money).

Another more or less secret place right in front of the Capitol on the Mall actually is the Botanical Gardens. Well worth a stroll through.

You can skip the Hirshorn unless you really like modern sculpture, the building is cool but probably not worth the time.

Between that and seeing the memorials, you won't have time for other places. But if you're interested I can give you 20 other places to go that are cool and not real touristy.

If you work your way east to west on the Mall, most of the good eating places are north of Constitution avenue between about 10th and 17th Street. Otherwise you kind of rely on the museum food which is iffy. After going to the American History Museum, you just go north about 2 or 3 blocks and there's plenty of good places to eat.

A final hint, don't think the Monument will be that crowded now the school's back but if so, consider going in the evening; the nighttime views of DC or spectacular and no crowds.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I've been to the Holocaust Museum, but it was during a break on a work trip in 2000.  I can't remember much, except it was the only time I've ever been in a museum and didn't say a word.  I'm debating about going back.  It's kind of a downer. 

That was like the 9/11 museum.  Eerily silent throughout.

7 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

I grew up in DC and worked at the Smithsonian. Plus I worked briefly as a tour guide for DC.

You won't have any trouble going to the "Big 3" (NAM, MAH, and A&SM) because they're grouped together on the Mall (NAM and MAH or next to each other, and the air and space is a 5-minute walk across the Mall.

While you're on the Mall, you really need to go to the art museums (National Gallery of Art and National Gallery of Art East. The latter is a really cool building and fun to track around in. If you really don't want to look at Art you can skip the National Gallery (but still take a quick walk through the East building). Down in that area is also the National Archives of course which is very much worth it.

That's going to take more than enough for two days, but if you want to get off the beaten path, I highly recommend Ford's Theater of course and the Bureau of Engraving (where they print money).

Another more or less secret place right in front of the Capitol on the Mall actually is the Botanical Gardens. Well worth a stroll through.

You can skip the Hirschorn unless you really like modern sculpture, the building is cool but probably not worth the time.

Between that and seeing the memorials, you won't have time for other places. But if you're interested I can give you 20 other places to go that are cool and not real touristy.

A final hint, don't think the Monument will be that crowded now the school's back but if so, consider going in the evening; the nighttime views of DC or spectacular and no crowds.

Excellent info.  Any good places to grab a bite around that area?  Casual quick bites for either breakfast or lunch?

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Excellent info.  Any good places to grab a bite around that area?  Casual quick bites for either breakfast or lunch?

Keep in mind that the Mall is a big area - depends on which end you're on... not only this, but you're going to have to walk at least ten minutes north (past Constitution) or south (past Independence) off the Mall and get to the restaurants.  You might check these places out on the map, decide which museums to visit in proximity, and plan ahead.  Or, look at which places are near the museums you want to prioritize (vice-versa).   There are places to eat on the Mall, but historically they've been blech.  The other problem is that a lot of places near there are $$$$ (D.C. snootiness and all) but you can find a good few places for basic eating.   And of course things change a lot and have from when I frequented there.  However, there is still some great eating not far away, and I know of a couple of places that might pass.

Northeast of Mall (towards Capitol), north side:  
- Jack's Famous Deli (about 2 blocks N of the Mall on Indiana Ave.  Not amazing but good, very convenient to Archives and N.G. East.
- DeliZique - same kinda deli place, about $8 sandwich, just a block or two north of National Gal. Art on 6th & C.
South/Southwest of Mall (towards Monument), south side:  
- Well, just to cover 'em, there's a McDonald's and Quizno's next to each other about 2 blocks due south of Air & Space.  At least you know what you're getting. C St. betw. 4th & 5th.  Just SW of that (about 3 blocks due south of the Smithsonian (red) Castle are a Panda Express and a Five Guys (pretty good burger chain nationally).  If you for some reason go to the Spy Museum, you're right there.  D St. just west of 9th St. Expressway (be careful to cross over the xprsway at D or you'll be cut off from it).  
- Secret little gem is Sami's Hot Dog Cart on C bet. 7th and 8th.On Maryland Ave. due south of the Hirshhorn.  Kind of like going to a good hot dog cart in Manhattan - basic but good stuff and the guy's a good dude.  Not sit-down but substantial and cheap.

For breakfast - I've never eaten at, but have heard good things about West Wing Cafe (regional chain, very popular in D.C.), south of the Mail  on D (take 7th south off the Mall, turn right onto D).  Getting an entire breakfast platter anywhere near the Mall for under $10 is pretty sweet, and they're supposed to be pretty good.  Oh, and they serve lunch and dinner fare too, which is supposed to be very good.

As I said above, the bulk of cheaper places are mainly north of the Mall, from 2nd to about 20th, as far north as about M St.  Probably the max walk is 20 mins... this area is also sort of split between "old downtown" (the eastern half from about 2nd to 15th, all east of the White House),and "new downtown" (west of the WH from 17th to 20th or so).  The "new downtown" is a bit snootier and probably pricier (this is where the oft-mentioned above Old Ebbitt Grille is), while the "old downtown" is more old school and some good dives (Chinatown is just east of 7th, about F-H streets, and lots of great food there!).  If you know how to do the Metro you can easily do that, but it involves changing lines which isn't too tough but might not be worth the "free" walk.  Anyway that's about what I can do for food.  You just can't find a lot very close to the Mall (see below), but there are places that, with planning, can easily be efficiently worked into your schedule.

If you're making a special trip (say to Georgetown U?), Georgetown is awesome for food.  But not near the Mall, really.  More if you go there, ask me.

Finally, the NOT recs.  I'm not saying that the following two things can't give you a good meal, but it's so hit or miss that you'd really be risking it.  It won't suck but it'll be like any kind of tourist food you get - often not too fresh and blah to say the least.

Food trucks -  you'll see these everywhere, esp. on Independence Ave. (runs parallel south of Mall).  Some of them are terrible, some are good, but you'll just have to risk it.  Maryland Avenue (just south of the Mall) is known for them, but again beware, unless things have changed they're not "gourmet" cutesie little food trucks in today's cuisine, they're more the Vietnamese Egg Roll Grease Pit type of things.  But maybe they've gotten better, I dunno.

Museum cafeterias - again, very hit or miss.  They're close and convenient, and you might find a gold nugget in the dirt.  But y'know, it's tourist cafeteria grub... stuff like 30 minute old fries sitting under a heat lamp, etc.  But with the crowds gone, maybe the quality is good.  I'd just look for yourself and judge.  There are cafeterias in almost all of the big Smithsonian buildings.

Good luck, we're not counting on you!

(BTW as a Cali resident, you should know that wife and I just got back from San Diego, and my god I've never had great food so consistently in any city in the U.S. I've been to!  Wow, what gives?  Even the touristy harbor area is great!)

Edited by phdhorn

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Quietest museum I've ever been in.  Nobody made a peep the entire time.  

@phdhorn excellent stuff.  We're staying at The Lyle just NE of DuPont Circle, so a lot of those food spots will be around there.  Much appreciate the detail.

Yeah, I was just down in SD a couple of weeks ago.  That little city has really grownsed up.  Used to be Mexican food and seafood, and that was it.  It is a great town overall.

14 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

@phdhorn excellent stuff.  We're staying at The Lyle just NE of DuPont Circle, so a lot of those food spots will be around there.  Much appreciate the detail.

Yeah, I was just down in SD a couple of weeks ago.  That little city has really grownsed up.  Used to be Mexican food and seafood, and that was it.  It is a great town overall.

Oh, well, yeah you got it made! Lots of good ethnic food down 17th within walking distance and of course anything around DuPont up and down Connecticut Avenue is going to be good. Really, walk on almost any door and you'll probably enjoy it.

The above novel was just in case you were on the Mall and got hungry.

From your hotel it's about a 25 minute walk to the Mall, but it's a scenic walk, if that's too long you can walk down to the Dupont circle Metro... Probably a 20-minute trip in non-rush hrs.  Good luck.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Hey @phdhorn we were just planning on jumping in an Uber from Reagan to the hotel.  Is that the best call, or is there an easy train.

If you have significant baggage, probably.

Otherwise yellow  line to Gallery Place station. Transfer, go downstairs to Red line. Red line to Dupont Circle. From there it's about a five block walk to the Lyle. It's about a 7 minute walk from your gate to the metro station but it's all indoors and not a bad walk actually through the terminal. (Note that many lines have several different colors on the same track, make sure you get on the right color).

Fairs $2.50 to $3 a person, depends on if you hit Rush hour fares or not which I think start at 3:00.

Trip about 25 minutes by train. Probably almost the same in an Uber really because of traffic.

I do it if I had one suitcase & a carry on. Probably more than that I'd do an uber.

If you choose it, the walk from DuPont to your hotel is pretty safe neighborhood, obviously that's not a bad part of town.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Hey @phdhorn we were just planning on jumping in an Uber from Reagan to the hotel.  Is that the best call, or is there an easy train.

If you end up taking the metro remember to stand on the right side on the escalator so you don’t hold up the super important people that are in a huge rush to get to their jobs!

I wouldn’t go on metro from DCA to DuPont. Not after a long flight, spring for an Uber.

Agree with all of @phdhorn but repeat— the Museum of the American Indian has very good food. Try to time for off-peak because it’s not a secret anymore. Good news is that the museums are all free so, you don’t pay just to get in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I wouldn’t go on metro from DCA to DuPont. Not after a long flight, spring for an Uber.

Agree with all of @phdhorn but repeat— the Museum of the American Indian has very good food. Try to time for off-peak because it’s not a secret anymore. Good news is that the museums are all free so, you don’t pay just to get in. 

That wasn't up when I was giving tours/worked there, so good to hear.  

There was also an excellent restaurant/cafeteria in the Castle, but I don't remember if it was employees only or general public.  Wonder if it's still there.

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I’ve lived in a bunch of places and DC was by far my least favorite. Different strokes I suppose.

DC enjoyment depends almost entirely on what you do for a living, IMO. If you are plugged into the things that make the place run, it's great. If you aren't, then it's just a bunch of jabbering assholes who are drunk on their own self-importance.

14 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

DC enjoyment depends almost entirely on what you do for a living, IMO. If you are plugged into the things that make the place run, it's great. If you aren't, then it's just a bunch of jabbering assholes who are drunk on their own self-importance.

I think that’s spot on.

Any thoughts on visiting Arlington Cemetery or has it been mentioned already?
Kind of a must do imo. My grandparents are buried there so extra incentive for me but the changing of the guard is one of the most moving things there is for an American imo.

It's actually a very beautiful place and easy ride on the metro. Walk around a bit.
  • Like 2