10.21.19 Coach Herman press conference Noon

bigup2dahorns

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I doubt he's moving on now that Orgeron seems to have stopped overruling his assistants all the time. He's got a pretty sweet set up in Baton Rouge, and it's hard to make guys at bluechips move laterally.

Random question, but since you know your football and presumably live in Cali, what do you think of Zach Arnett's D at San Diego State?  

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I doubt he's moving on now that Orgeron seems to have stopped overruling his assistants all the time. He's got a pretty sweet set up in Baton Rouge, and it's hard to make guys at bluechips move laterally.

It would probably depend on his desire to be a head coach.  If he wants that then he should be able to get a pretty good job soon.  If he is fine being a coordinator then he might would move to Texas based on financials.

2 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Random question, but since you know your football and presumably live in Cali, what do you think of Zach Arnett's D at San Diego State?  

I live in NYC now, so I rarely watch the late games unfortunately. I love Cal's defense, but it's more a function of the HC than the DC.

9 minutes ago, txhorns said:

It would probably depend on his desire to be a head coach.  If he wants that then he should be able to get a pretty good job soon.  If he is fine being a coordinator then he might would move to Texas based on financials.

What financials? If he's able to beat Bama, LSU will match anything Texas offers. UT isn't the only school with money?

And how successful do you think will he be in this conference? He seemed to have enough problems against Sam and Co. Imagine playing against Lincoln.

1 minute ago, hornhorn said:

What financials? If he's able to beat Bama, LSU will match anything Texas offers. UT isn't the only school with money?

And how successful do you think will he be in this conference? He seemed to have enough problems against Sam and Co. Imagine playing against Lincoln.

I didn't say that LSU wouldn't match.  But they are strapped for cash so if for whatever reason they didn't match and Texas was substantially higher then it could happen.  That is highly unlikely.

2 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

“Solid defense here Tom you had 8 guys covering 4. Way to win the numbers game”

480ea17a545881f8bb10e8f514c1c29e.mov

I think I’m gonna have to put this one on the players. That call should have stopped them. Who is the guy back and to the left of the ref, and who is that third guy who released from the wide receiver to triple team the guy at the goal line? We might have the dumbest players in the country 

Edited by GotThatFire

22 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

I think I’m gonna have to put this one on the players. That call should have stopped them. Who is the guy back and to the left of the ref, and who is that third guy who released from the wide receiver to triple team the guy at the goal line? We might have the dumbest players in the country 

On the side of the field Jamison is the outside CB, Cook is on the slot guy. Must be Estell behind them. He also got beat on the prior TD (screen cap is of the conversion) from the field slot.

I love all the speculation on new DCs. If, as I suspect, play improves substantially over the next six games (remaing regular season plus post-season), Orlando ain't goin' anywhere. Keep in mind, play can improve substantially enough for Herman to keep him, while still remaining questionable enough for the rest of us to want to lynch him.

Meanwhile, your top ten defenses / coordinators per AdjustedStats.com by adjusted points per possession are:

Ohio St. -- Greg Mattison
Wisconsin -- Jim Leonhard
Georgia -- Dan Lanning
Auburn -- Kevin Steele
Clemson -- Brent Venables
Penn St. -- Brent Pry
Oregon -- Andy Avalos
Utah -- Morgan Scalley
Iowa -- Phil Parker
Navy -- Brian Newberry

Mattison is from Wisconsin, coached at Michigan, is clearly a B1G guy. However, he was Charlie Strong's "Co-Defensive Coordinator" at Florida in 2006. So there's that.

Leonhard played safety in the NFL for 10 years and has been really good with coaching the secondary. He's at his alma mater, but he's only 36, so if he's going to step away to go somewhere else before a triumphant return as HC there some day, this might be a good time to poach him.

Lanning? Pfffft.

Steele? Double pfffft.

Venables? Yeah, not gonna happen.

Pry? He's been with Franklin forever. Plus, he has cooties.

Avalos is practically Orlando, only with a Boise State "kitchen sink" pedigree. I would not put a whole lot of stock into his limited results so far if you're wanting to differentiate him from what we currently have.

Scalley? Ute for life, seemingly, though like Leonhard, it might be worth seeing if he wants a few years away from his mothership before a triumphant return home.

Phil Parker was hired by Kirk Ferentz, which is enough justification to me to throw away his resume.

And Brian Newberry at Navy was really good over the last four years at Kennesaw State... running the exact same defensive scheme as, wait for it, Todd Orlando.

Drink responsibly, tip your waitresses.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I love all the speculation on new DCs. If, as I suspect, play improves substantially over the next six games (remaing regular season plus post-season), Orlando ain't goin' anywhere. Keep in mind, play can improve substantially enough for Herman to keep him, while still remaining questionable enough for the rest of us to want to lynch him.

Meanwhile, your top ten defenses / coordinators per AdjustedStats.com by adjusted points per possession are:

Georgia -- Dan Lanning
Auburn -- Kevin Steele
Penn St. -- Brent Pry
Oregon -- Andy Avalos
Utah -- Morgan Scalley
Iowa -- Phil Parker
Navy -- Brian Newberry

Mattison is from Wisconsin, coached at Michigan, is clearly a B1G guy. However, he was Charlie Strong's "Co-Defensive Coordinator" at Florida in 2006. So there's that.

Leonhard played safety in the NFL for 10 years and has been really good with coaching the secondary. He's at his alma mater, but he's only 36, so if he's going to step away to go somewhere else before a triumphant return as HC there some day, this might be a good time to poach him.

Lanning? Pfffft.

Steele? Double pfffft.

Avalos is practically Orlando, only with a Boise State "kitchen sink" pedigree. I would not put a whole lot of stock into his limited results so far if you're wanting to differentiate him from what we currently have.

Scalley? Ute for life, seemingly, though like Leonhard, it might be worth seeing if he wants a few years away from his mothership before a triumphant return home.

Phil Parker was hired by Kirk Ferentz, which is enough justification to me to throw away his resume.

And Brian Newberry at Navy was really good over the last four years at Kennesaw State... running the exact same defensive scheme as, wait for it, Todd Orlando.

Didn't realize Scally was coaching in Utah. 

Thought he married HookMom, had a couple kids and was a stay-at-home dad. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Georgia -- Dan Lanning
Auburn -- Kevin Steele
Penn St. -- Brent Pry
Oregon -- Andy Avalos
Utah -- Morgan Scalley
Iowa -- Phil Parker
Navy -- Brian Newberry

Lanning? Pfffft.

Steele? Double pfffft.

But but but I was told Texas can money whip anyone, even Bezos!

• Fuck You 5

3 hours ago, Pogo said:

I've never played a down of organized football, but it seems to me that if Foster had even rudimentary tackling technique, he wouldn't keep hurting himself while missing tackles.

Foster's problem is he's always been a hard hitter and wants to always make the espn highlights hit. He doesn't care about wrapping up and playing fundamental defense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I think Andy Avalos at Oregon would be pretty high on the list once Aranda declines.  Led a really good defense at Boise St and now has Oregon defense top 10 in the country. 

Have seen too many one year turn arounds (manny, Vance,  Orlando) here to sucking again the following year. I would hope we can find a repeatable,  sustainable,  and good defense again and grabbing the hot coordinator on one year of success gives me PTSD from our past.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Georgia -- Dan Lanning
Auburn -- Kevin Steele
Penn St. -- Brent Pry
Oregon -- Andy Avalos
Utah -- Morgan Scalley
Iowa -- Phil Parker
Navy -- Brian Newberry

Lanning? Pfffft.

Steele? Double pfffft.

Candidates that I think ought to be on the table.  None of these names are going to blow anyone's socks off, so they'll probably never happen.  But they're what I'd be trying to do, if I was Herman and wanted to actually fix the problem instead of money-whipping a "known" name that was going to come in and perpetuate the problem.

• Jon Heacock - Iowa State - has been really solid as DC at Iowa State, even with their talent problem.  Runs a defense complimentary to Campbell's scheme, which is similar to Herman's scheme.  Has experience frustrating air raid teams in the Big XII. 
  • Jay Bateman - UNC - previously at Army.  Has been a "though leader," to the extent that exists in football, regarding the defensive response to Air Raid football.  Coached several years, successfully at Army under Monken, before getting hired by Mack at UNC this past offseason.'
  • Mike MacIntyre - has coached several good defenses.  Could potentially by reunited with Jim Leavitt who, together, put together a couple of fantastic defenses at Colorado.  It all fell apart after Leavitt left, but that potential combo is intriguing.

There are a few other guys worth hanging around the rim for, in case their schools decide to make a change this offseason:

• Will Muschamp (I know, but seriously)
  • Pat Fitzgerald
  • Dave Doeren
  • Justin Wilcox

This is going to be a really unpopular comment, but he's a good defensive coach:  Do you bring in someone like D.J. Durkin in an analyst role or potentially a position-coach role?

While Orlando is definitely a problem, everything would look better if our position coaches could, you know, actually coach. Everyone single one of those guys (including on offense other than Hand) should be fired yesterday. We are a terribly coached team at fundamentals, and while the head coach and coordinators are responsible for making sure that happens, the guys that are supposed to be actually doing it are failing at an unimaginable level. This is why our offense struggles at times, why our receivers can't run routes, why our WR screens suck, why we can't set an edge, why we can't tackle, why we get an absurd number of penalties, oh, and why our kick and punt return units suck at a level that probably violates several laws of nature. Those guys get replaced with folks that are in the same zip code as competent and I guarantee Orlando's defense would be closer to what he has done historically (top 25ish). We'd still have stupid blitzes and questionable alignments, but we'd probably have DBs who knew how to actually at least attempt to locate a ball.

Edited by Dahobbs

20 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

Have seen too many one year turn arounds (manny, Vance,  Orlando) here to sucking again the following year. I would hope we can find a repeatable,  sustainable,  and good defense again and grabbing the hot coordinator on one year of success gives me PTSD from our past.

Let's just cycle a new DC every year.  It's clear that bringing in a new DC makes the DC focus on installing the fundamentals of his defensive scheme (instead of the ridiculous "plays"), and spend an inordinate amount of time on technique with our players (instead of repping ridiculous zone blitz variations). 

I know it's kind of a dumb idea, but I don't think I'm kidding.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Katfid54 said:

Candidates that I think ought to be on the table.  None of these names are going to blow anyone's socks off, so they'll probably never happen.  But they're what I'd be trying to do, if I was Herman and wanted to actually fix the problem instead of money-whipping a "known" name that was going to come in and perpetuate the problem.

• Jon Heacock - Iowa State - has been really solid as DC at Iowa State, even with their talent problem.  Runs a defense complimentary to Campbell's scheme, which is similar to Herman's scheme.  Has experience frustrating air raid teams in the Big XII. 
  • Jay Bateman - UNC - previously at Army.  Has been a "though leader," to the extent that exists in football, regarding the defensive response to Air Raid football.  Coached several years, successfully at Army under Monken, before getting hired by Mack at UNC this past offseason.'
  • Mike MacIntyre - has coached several good defenses.  Could potentially by reunited with Jim Leavitt who, together, put together a couple of fantastic defenses at Colorado.  It all fell apart after Leavitt left, but that potential combo is intriguing.

There are a few other guys worth hanging around the rim for, in case their schools decide to make a change this offseason:

• Will Muschamp (I know, but seriously)
  • Pat Fitzgerald
  • Dave Doeren
  • Justin Wilcox

This is going to be a really unpopular comment, but he's a good defensive coach:  Do you bring in someone like D.J. Durkin in an analyst role or potentially a position-coach role?

Heacock or MacIntyre would make me very happy. The NC guy sounds interesting.

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

While Orlando is definitely a problem, everything would look better if our position coaches could, you know, actually coach. Everyone single one of those guys (including on offense other than Hand) should be fired yesterday. We are a terribly coached team at fundamentals, and while the head coach and coordinators are responsible for making sure that happens, the guys that are supposed to be actually doing it are failing at an unimaginable level. This is why our offense struggles at times, why our receivers can't run routes, why our WR screens suck, why we can't set an edge, why we can't tackle, why we get an absurd number of penalties, oh, and why our kick and punt return units suck at a level that probably violates several laws of nature. Those guys get replaced with folks that are in the same zip code as competent and I guarantee Orlando's defense would be closer to what he has done historically (top 25ish). We'd still have stupid blitzes and questionable alignments, but we'd probably have DBs who knew how to actually at least attempt to locate a ball.

This is too dramatic.

Our cornerback play has consistently improved since Game 1, even through suffering tons of injuries and having to cycle players.  Our CBs were bad against La Tech and LSU.  But they have steadily improved through the course of this year, just as we all hoped they would.

Cook, Jamison and Boyce were the lone effective palyers on our defense against KU, and they've generally played well since Oklahoma State.  Everyone is complaining about our pass defense, but the real culprit is our safety and linebacker play--not our CBs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Katfid54 said:
5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Heacock or MacIntyre would make me very happy. The NC guy sounds interesting.

You should look into him.  He's super interesting.  He's an advocate of "positionless" defense. 

Bateman is basically the Mike Leach of defense.  He only has six "plays"/blitzes, but he reps them from a variety of formations.  So his guys know exactly what to do on any given play, because they only have to learn six things.  But they rep variations on formation over and over again, so the guy who was LB last play may be Safety the next play and DE on third down.  So it confuses the offense as to what blitzer might be coming, who to block, and who not to block.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

This is too dramatic.

Our cornerback play has consistently improved since Game 1, even through suffering tons of injuries and having to cycle players.  Our CBs were bad against La Tech and LSU.  But they have steadily improved through the course of this year, just as we all hoped they would.

Cook, Jamison and Boyce were the lone effective palyers on our defense against KU, and they've generally played well since Oklahoma State.  Everyone is complaining about our pass defense, but the real culprit is our safety and linebacker play--not our CBs.

Is it? My thesis is that we have a lack of teachers, not a lack of scheme (or at least not as much a lack of scheme as it appears). When I watch the same players make the same mistakes over and over and over, I have to assume they are either being taught wrong or not being taught at all. Given that Orlando has actually had semi-successful defenses before, I simply cannot believe that this is all on his scheme. Herman hired recruiters and not coaches. This is what you get when you hire recruiters and not coaches. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Foster's problem is he's always been a hard hitter and wants to always make the espn highlights hit. He doesn't care about wrapping up and playing fundamental defense. 

This. He knocks the shit out of people. But he’s hurt himself now, and seems to have an issue figuring out how to make a form tackle while hurt.  Really need him back to 100%, he seemed to get home on those delayed blitzes more than anyone else. 

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

Is it? My thesis is that we have a lack of teachers, not a lack of scheme (or at least not as much a lack of scheme as it appears). When I watch the same players make the same mistakes over and over and over, I have to assume they are either being taught wrong or not being taught at all. Given that Orlando has actually had semi-successful defenses before, I simply cannot believe that this is all on his scheme. Herman hired recruiters and not coaches. This is what you get when you hire recruiters and not coaches. 

Yes, it is.  Because our cornerback progression demonstrates exactly what you're saying you wish we had.  I think Washington has done a solid job this year.

2 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Yes, it is.  Because our cornerback progression demonstrates exactly what you're saying you wish we had.  I think Washington has done a solid job this year.

Replacing position coaches is too dramatic, but not replacing a defensive coordinator? I'm sure you know more than me, but I haven't seen the progression you're talking about. Everything else has become worse, so bad corner play isn't as obvious anymore. I'm not convinced that means things are getting better. 

5 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Replacing position coaches is too dramatic, but not replacing a defensive coordinator? I'm sure you know more than me, but I haven't seen the progression you're talking about. Everything else has become worse, so bad corner play isn't as obvious anymore. I'm not convinced that means things are getting better. 

You suggested we fire and replace every single one of our position coaches.  That's a dumb take, bordering on absurd.  The fact that you're doubling down on it--while acknowleding our CB play has improved but asserting that improvement is a symptom of coaching incompetence--puts you right around bivalve on the critical thinking scale.

Edited by Katfid54
  • Haha 1

I would love to have Bateman, actually. He's the one coach right now who I actually enjoy listening to when he's talking about football. Granted, I could listen to Mike Leach lecture on Swahili metaphors, weather patterns in the Crimea, or how to properly install a porch light, because he's quite simply the most interesting man alive, but Bateman has a fresh take on football that is well worth looking at/listening to.

I'm not sure how well it translates to big school football, but I think it's worth giving him a shot. His whole philosophy evolved out of the fact that the number of things he could control was really small as the DC at a service academy.  In the Big 12, they would equally be limited, by the fact that offense dictates to a defense so much in this league. Still, if you're going to be "multiple" you may as well be "multiple" with somebody who thinks you counter "basketball on grass" with a frantic press defense manned by the football equivalent of five guys who could play all five positions on the court.

4 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

“Solid defense here Tom you had 8 guys covering 4. Way to win the numbers game”

480ea17a545881f8bb10e8f514c1c29e.mov

so #5 is playing zone and the deep guy decides he's going to make sure he's there to stop the out route in case the other 2 guys miss the tackle.  christ on a cracker that is an unreal picture.