Homemade Pizza Tips...Just the Tips

Landomatic

18 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Frozen pizza thread is that way.

Need to find that thread...but will be back here soon. Overdue to break out some fresh dough and the baking steel. Was stoked about trying the stone in the BGE but sounds like I’ll need some more research after seeing some posts.

1 hour ago, Tailgate said:

Need to find that thread...but will be back here soon. Overdue to break out some fresh dough and the baking steel. Was stoked about trying the stone in the BGE but sounds like I’ll need some more research after seeing some posts.

So this is amazing

a2c9b4b565be937d67e40a48009dd5ea.jpg

f3aa77ac7d0b8406bf779b1670cfbd8f.jpg

Mushroom, pepperoni, and hot peppers. America's Test Kitchen recipe as shown on the Pizza Dough Basics with Babish. Put dough together yesterday morning, fridge ferment overnight and set on the counter this morning. In the oven for 8 minutes with broiler set to on, tho I didn't crack the door until about 4 minutes so it only cycled at the end.

• Hook 'Em 4

First attempt at Detroit style.  Really tasty.  
19CB5968-9896-4F5F-A29C-FF8D1ACFD915.thumb.jpeg.df2b8d97953dc7d36caac617ec1c39d2.jpeg
D5BB33CB-B522-4836-B464-F3D18268837D.thumb.jpeg.d858a89616d062cc21e6d15d652be2ef.jpeg

Had a great Detroit pizza how-to video pop up in my feed the other day and I want to try it out. Apparently, you’re supposed to use Brick Cheese for authentic Detroit style pizza. I just happened to be browsing the cheese section at Central Market a couple days later and came across Brick Cheese. It was like $50/pound or something. WTF?
  • Hook 'Em 1

Had a great Detroit pizza how-to video pop up in my feed the other day and I want to try it out. Apparently, you’re supposed to use Brick Cheese for authentic Detroit style pizza. I just happened to be browsing the cheese section at Central Market a couple days later and came across Brick Cheese. It was like $50/pound or something. WTF?

$50?!?

That’s where I get my brick cheese. I don’t recall it being anywhere close to that price. It was somewhere in the $10-20 range IIRC, just like most cheeses there.

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

I hope the chick behind the deli counter was hot, because apparently that cheese comes with a blow job.

3 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

$50?!?

That’s where I get my brick cheese. I don’t recall it being anywhere close to that price. It was somewhere in the $10-20 range IIRC, just like most cheeses there.

3 hours ago, elfenix said:

$9/lb at central market in houston. 

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

I hope the chick behind the deli counter was hot, because apparently that cheese comes with a blow job.

Gotta go back up there this afternoon. I'll double check.

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

I used regular mozzarella.  You can get the brick cheese on Amazon but I didn’t have time. I ordered the pan and the pepperoni on Saturday and had it delivered on Sunday for pizza that night.  Came out really, really good.  The combination of a high hydration dough plus olive oil plus the cheese chunks at the edge create a great crunchy edge that I haven’t been able to replicate before.  Via313 pizza in Austin has a great Detroit style pizza, and this was 80% of that, I’d guess.  I may do it again tomorrow when my daughter (no pix) is home from UT for the week.

6 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

I used regular mozzarella.  You can get the brick cheese on Amazon but I didn’t have time. I ordered the pan and the pepperoni on Saturday and had it delivered on Sunday for pizza that night.  Came out really, really good.  The combination of a high hydration dough plus olive oil plus the cheese chunks at the edge create a great crunchy edge that I haven’t been able to replicate before.  Via313 pizza in Austin has a great Detroit style pizza, and this was 80% of that, I’d guess.  I may do it again tomorrow when my daughter (no pix) is home from UT for the week.

What pan did you order?

On 1/29/2021 at 10:12 PM, elfenix said:

So this is amazing

Mushroom, pepperoni, and hot peppers. America's Test Kitchen recipe as shown on the Pizza Dough Basics with Babish. Put dough together yesterday morning, fridge ferment overnight and set on the counter this morning. In the oven for 8 minutes with broiler set to on, tho I didn't crack the door until about 4 minutes so it only cycled at the end.

Meant to ask, before we got sidetracked with $50 cheese walls and deli chick blow jobs (it happens)...explain to me more about this broiler functionality.  When I do pizza, I just set my oven to 500 because that's the highest temperature setting it has.  The broil setting is above that on the dial, but I always just assumed that didn't really bake with heat everywhere, but that it was just some direct heat from above to crisp things up or whatever.  Is the broil setting just an even hotter setting than 500?  And what is the whole cracking the door thing?  I've always cracked the door whenever I broil things, but I always thought that was just a technique to let things breath.  Are you saying the broiler doesn't even work if the door is shut?  I haven't had much trouble getting my toppings done before the dough when I make pizza (if anything it's the other way around), so I don't think it's something I'll want to experiment with, but I am curious.

15 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

9 hours ago, C-Man said:

What pan did you order?

Aren't the real pans actually some sort of automotive part?  Seems like at one time I saw something about the history of Detroit style pizza and it was all about the pan, which was some automotive industry thing they have up there.  Might have been like DDD or some shit, but I'm pretty sure the overall message was that it's all in the pan and you won't get the desired results without using a real auto parts pan.

Damnit...how do I get off into these fucking rabbit holes?

So after researching the shit out of this for the last hour plus, this pan looks REALLY legit.  Comes pre-seasoned and looks exactly the same as the ones I see at authentic old school places in Detroit.  They make an 8x10 and a 10x14.

Cliffs notes on the history is that at one time, they were using automotive factory part trays.  But that was forever ago and you won't find them now.  Then for years and years, it was blue steal pans that made it authentic.  But apparently they quit making those in 2010 so legit pans became harder and harder to find.  So, this company claims to have recreated it.

https://detroitstylepizza.com/collections/featured-products/products/8-x-10-authentic-steel-detroit-style-pizza-pan

Also looks like they sell them on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/10-14-Authentic-Detroit-Seasoned/dp/B06XFKF4G8

I thought maybe you could find a legit old used one somewhere, but I didn't find any on ebay and I quit looking after that.

Anyway, this looks to be the one to buy IMO.

8x10-1_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1586912791

Meant to ask, before we got sidetracked with $50 cheese walls and deli chick blow jobs (it happens)...explain to me more about this broiler functionality.  When I do pizza, I just set my oven to 500 because that's the highest temperature setting it has.  The broil setting is above that on the dial, but I always just assumed that didn't really bake with heat everywhere, but that it was just some direct heat from above to crisp things up or whatever.  Is the broil setting just an even hotter setting than 500?  And what is the whole cracking the door thing?  I've always cracked the door whenever I broil things, but I always thought that was just a technique to let things breath.  Are you saying the broiler doesn't even work if the door is shut?  I haven't had much trouble getting my toppings done before the dough when I make pizza (if anything it's the other way around), so I don't think it's something I'll want to experiment with, but I am curious.

Broilers in home electric ovens are temp regulated so that you don't catch your house on fire. I assume gas is the same but I haven't used a gas oven in 20 years. You have to crack the door if you want it to come on and stay on. That's why there's a detent pretty early in the door's travel.

It's direct radiative heat so it does well getting a nice bit of char on the top. The lower part of the oven will cool off a bit if you've got a baking steel in the way, based on watching my oven thermometer.

Also, the other Detroit-style "must" is having the parmesan baked into the crust. Do you just get some of the pre-shredded parm and sprinkle in the bottom of the pan before you put in your dough? I ALWAYS prefer hand-grated cheese (and parm) but I wonder if this would have the right consistency.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, C-Man said:

Also, the other Detroit-style "must" is having the parmesan baked into the crust. Do you just get some of the pre-shredded parm and sprinkle in the bottom of the pan before you put in your dough? I ALWAYS prefer hand-grated cheese (and parm) but I wonder if this would have the right consistency.

For a 10 x 14 pan I just took an 8 oz block of mozzarella and cubed it into 0.7500 cu. cm. chunks.  Maybe sprinkle some fresh grated parm on top.  The cubed mozzarella next to the edge melts into the edge of the pan and dough and creates a crispy crust of cheese and dough.  It’s f’in magic and it’s pretty simple to pull off a great pizza if you just follow the technique.  Here’s the one I followed:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/02/detroit-style-pizza-recipe.html

Sorry if I missed it if previously posted but preferred 00 flour brand?

The Kenji Lopez recipe calls for bread flour. I got a bag of Central Market Organics brand — didn’t have a lot of choices. Not sure if 00 would help or hurt Detroit style.
  • Like 1

Need to see that crust freed from the pan!

Good discussion on pans above - I bought mine from Detroit style pizza co. Sadly the dude who started that racket - he had a couple of brick and mortars in the area - passed away. He was pretty young. Shawn Randazzo. Little write up on his history. Accomplished chef. https://detroit.eater.com/2020/12/8/22163795/shawn-randazzo-detroit-style-pizza-company-founder-world-pizza-champion-chef-dies-cancer-obituary#:~:text=Shawn Randazzo%2C the chef who,December 5%2C at age 44.

The DSPC pans are real steel - some of the amazon ones out there are aluminum. 

3 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Need to see that crust freed from the pan!

Good discussion on pans above - I bought mine from Detroit style pizza co. Sadly the dude who started that racket - he had a couple of brick and mortars in the area - passed away. He was pretty young. Shawn Randazzo. Little write up on his history. Accomplished chef. https://detroit.eater.com/2020/12/8/22163795/shawn-randazzo-detroit-style-pizza-company-founder-world-pizza-champion-chef-dies-cancer-obituary#:~:text=Shawn Randazzo%2C the chef who,December 5%2C at age 44.

The DSPC pans are real steel - some of the amazon ones out there are aluminum. 

Sorry. Took it out of oven and quickly sliced it up to feed the hungry kids before the wife and I went on our evening walk. I'll do it again soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Wandering Academy today and discovered they carry Ooni so got the 12" koda.

Need to get the accoutrements.   Besides peel and infrared thermometer, what else do I need?  Turning peel?  Secret flour from Italy?  Pepperoni from....

You get the drift.  I got an oven, bad weather and Amazon prime.  Spend my money!