Dallas | Burgers

C-Man

Lando is a massive douche, yes, but he's not wrong about Trinity Groves. LUCK is good but I never go over there. Bob Sambol's new place on the back side is pretty good but, again, only go there for lunch and always when it's wrangled by somebody else. OSK is better there, IMO, for the simple reason that there's working A/C. I'll need to go back over there and check it out to see what I think.

• 3 weeks later...

Is Liberty Burger any good? New Burgers, Brew and ‘Cue has them on it tonight. Guess they have a new format, Symon was only on-site at the very average Home Team BBQ in Charleston and then he did VO at the other two places, one in Atlanta and LB in Dallas.

18 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

I am not a fan of Liberty Burger. It’s a concept from Gene Street’s daughter. Have been once or twice to the Lakewood location. Many much better options.

Didn't know that connection. I think Street's Fine Chicken is very, very average too.

Lando is a massive douche, yes, but he's not wrong about Trinity Groves. LUCK is good but I never go over there. Bob Sambol's new place on the back side is pretty good but, again, only go there for lunch and always when it's wrangled by somebody else. OSK is better there, IMO, for the simple reason that there's working A/C. I'll need to go back over there and check it out to see what I think.

But if you like Spanish food....the best spot in town was there and now the new best spot in town is there....hope it makes it. She has a fantastic wine program and the fried eggplant with honey is incredible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, lonestarguido said:

But if you like Spanish food....the best spot in town was there and now the new best spot in town is there....hope it makes it. She has a fantastic wine program and the fried eggplant with honey is incredible

Are you trying to say Casa Rubia was the best Spanish restaurant in town?  Never been to Cafe Madrid or Si Tapas, huh?

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Are you trying to say Casa Rubia was the best Spanish restaurant in town?  Never been to Cafe Madrid or Si Tapas, huh?

On most days, I would have preferred Cafe Madrid or Si Tapas, but it's hard to compare them to Casa Rubia, which delivered a different type of experience.  In it's heyday, Casa Rubia was unquestionably the best Spanish restaurant in town.  From James Beard nominations, to best restaurant awards, to 4 star reviews, etc. it achieved a level of acclaim that Madrid and Si Tapas did not and have not.  But, it's all subjective.  Madrid and Si Tapas are certainly more fun and they are still around, so they got that going for 'em!

And the eggplant at Tapas Castille is incredible!

Back to burgers now?

This is a pretty good article on Wingfield's, which is still my favorite burger:  CraveDFW on Wingfield's

36 minutes ago, DFWTexEx said:

On most days, I would have preferred Cafe Madrid or Si Tapas, but it's hard to compare them to Casa Rubia, which delivered a different type of experience.  In it's heyday, Casa Rubia was unquestionably the best Spanish restaurant in town.  From James Beard nominations, to best restaurant awards, to 4 star reviews, etc. it achieved a level of acclaim that Madrid and Si Tapas did not and have not.  But, it's all subjective.  Madrid and Si Tapas are certainly more fun and they are still around, so they got that going for 'em!

And the eggplant at Tapas Castille is incredible!

When was it's heyday?  The one time I went (can't remember what year that might have been), it was average at best.  Then when it closed not too long after (within a year or so), I assumed I wasn't the only one who thought that.  I guess they must have just started slipping.  And as you mentioned, the other two are still open, so there's that.

When was it's heyday?  The one time I went (can't remember what year that might have been), it was average at best.  Then when it closed not too long after (within a year or so), I assumed I wasn't the only one who thought that.  I guess they must have just started slipping.  And as you mentioned, the other two are still open, so there's that.

Ever spent time in Spain? Casa Rubia in its prime was one of my favorite places in town. Si and Cafe Madrid are good options but a very Americanized menu. Casa Rubia sadly closed as a product of location. Si and Madrid May have the two of best foot traffic locations of any restaurants in the city. Sorry Lando man, don’t want to get into a cock fight here (you seem feisty lately) but I have literally been to 100’s of Tapas places in Spain and always try and hunt down the best in towns when I am on the road...Rubia was very very good

1 hour ago, lonestarguido said:

Ever spent time in Spain? Casa Rubia in its prime was one of my favorite places in town. Si and Cafe Madrid are good options but a very Americanized menu. Casa Rubia sadly closed as a product of location. Si and Madrid May have the two of best foot traffic locations of any restaurants in the city. Sorry Lando man, don’t want to get into a cock fight here (you seem feisty lately) but I have literally been to 100’s of Tapas places in Spain and always try and hunt down the best in towns when I am on the road...Rubia was very very good

Yeah, my wife lived in Barcelona for 2 years.  When we tried it, as mentioned earlier, it was very average.  And, also as mentioned, apparently we missed it in its prime or in its heyday.  Agree location probably did it in, which was the premise of this whole Trinity Groves thing.  Also, not that feisty lately.  Some people just suck (you’re not one of them).  It’s all good.  Wish we’d have been to Casa Rubia when it was good.  Anyway, back to the burgers...

54 minutes ago, lonestarguido said:

Back to Burgers!!

Anyone a fan of or been to Blues burgers off of Mockingbird and Harry Hines ish area? I haven’t been but some folks have recommended it lately

Have not been, but I have a storage unit near there so I've driven by it a quite a bit.  Honestly, that always seems like a pretty sketchy part of town so I just kind of assumed that Blues Burgers place was probably just a dump so I never gave it much thought.  But, I just googled  it and the food pics look fan fucking tastic.  Will definitely give it a shot next time I need to go to the storage unit...which may be conveniently sooner than later now.

36 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Have not been, but I have a storage unit near there so I've driven by it a quite a bit.  Honestly, that always seems like a pretty sketchy part of town so I just kind of assumed that Blues Burgers place was probably just a dump so I never gave it much thought.  But, I just googled  it and the food pics look fan fucking tastic.  Will definitely give it a shot next time I need to go to the storage unit...which may be conveniently sooner than later now.  I’ve even seen a smoker fired up in the parking lot there before, which probably doesn’t suck.

Have not been, but I have a storage unit near there so I've driven by it a quite a bit.  Honestly, that always seems like a pretty sketchy part of town so I just kind of assumed that Blues Burgers place was probably just a dump so I never gave it much thought.  But, I just googled  it and the food pics look fan fucking tastic.  Will definitely give it a shot next time I need to go to the storage unit...which may be conveniently sooner than later now.

My in laws were in town to see our newborn and my FIL had found it on some list on the interwebs as one of the best burgers in town....me and the wife were both like...”really...never really heard much about it”

They went while I selfishly hoped on a flight to Austin for a day trip Bachelor party....a story for a whole nother thread.

Wife is real picky and she loved it

• 7 months later...
Sadly, Lakewood 1st & 10, home of the Point Burger, has closed. 

Not really. I mean I never like seeing a local place fail but I won’t mourn. That place has smelled like ass for years (something wrong with their grease trap I would guess) and I have been ripped off by their staff on more than one occasion (as had a number of friends and neighbors over the years).

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Was planning to meet up with friends for games Saturday night there and was pretty surprised to see this.  Anyone know the scoop?

I heard it's smelled like ass for years and their staff kept ripping people off. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Was planning to meet up with friends for games Saturday night there and was pretty surprised to see this.  Anyone know the scoop?

I believe it's landlord related. Not making enough to meet the new rate hikes that go along with updating the shopping center. Or maybe the management company was tired of the ass smell and people getting ripped off. 

• Like 1

I represent another tenant in that center. Rates have gone up since the property sold but I suspect (just an educated guess) they simply weren’t making enough $ to make the rent payments already in place.

As i understand it they got locked out; they didn’t choose not to renew.

• 2 weeks later...

So just stumbled across the bottom part of the fridge of pre made stuff at Meat Shop and they have an inhouse ground beef of all the excess trimmings from all the Wagyu style cuts...

Got a LB of it (11.99/LB) last night and made burgers and they were legitimately the best I have ever personally made (not saying much) BUT I would highly req for your next burger night at home.

7 hours ago, lonestarguido said:

So just stumbled across the bottom part of the fridge of pre made stuff at Meat Shop and they have an inhouse ground beef of all the excess trimmings from all the Wagyu style cuts...

Got a LB of it (11.99/LB) last night and made burgers and they were legitimately the best I have ever personally made (not saying much) BUT I would highly req for your next burger night at home.

Sounds awesome.  I still haven't made it by there, which I can't believe since I've been dreaming of having a really good stand-alone butcher shop in Dallas for years.  I even pitched the idea to Kent Rathbun one night over a few drinks.  Never went anywhere but it is kind of ironic since we were talking about putting it in that part of town and he lives near there and he has a couple different restaurants around there (or his wife does anyway).  Hits close to home.

Anyway, aside from this burger meat, is all their meat (or the experience) any better than a place like Central Market?

3 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Sounds awesome.  I still haven't made it by there, which I can't believe since I've been dreaming of having a really good stand-alone butcher shop in Dallas for years.  I even pitched the idea to Kent Rathbun one night over a few drinks.  Never went anywhere but it is kind of ironic since we were talking about putting it in that part of town and he lives near there and he has a couple different restaurants around there (or his wife does anyway).  Hits close to home.

Anyway, aside from this burger meat, is all their meat (or the experience) any better than a place like Central Market?

It's not nearly to the scale that CM or other meat markets are. I haven't been in awhile -- need to since I have a gift card from my birthday back in Nov -- but the wagyu NY strips and ribeyes are -- or used to be -- $32/lb. That's about $20 less than CM. The "made" BBQ is stupid expensive so I've never tried it. Their deli sandwiches are really, really good. They have a keg or two on tap and beer/wine in the fridge and a decent back patio so it's not trying to be Rudolph's or anything.

• 1 month later...

Rodeo Goat in Rockwall is phenomenal.  Bunch of different beers, on the lake, excellent burgers.  I got a hamburger with chorizo, pico, avocados, and a fried egg.  I had to take it home because I filled up on the bacon/chz fries.  I heated it up the next day and it was the best hamburger I've ever had.

• Like 1

I’ve mentioned it in another thread, but Sky Rocket Burger in far north Dallas has an absolutely outstanding burger. It’s a hole in the wall off Frankford and coit (Richardson/Plano effectively). It’s been open about a year and run by a couple that seems to work 6 days a week.

2x2 with bacon and grilled onions from yesterday. Awesome

3a89f7008fa08456d6be65cdda1d8f05.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Heim BBQ now has  them a burger.  Yes it's in FW and a BBQ joint but I put it in Dallas burgers.  Get over it.

This isn’t your standard burger. It’s a barbecue burger through and through, but the burger isn’t smoked. It starts with smoked brisket that’s chopped fine and mixed with raw ground beef from 44 Farms. There’s about twice as much ground beef as brisket in there, but you’ll taste the smoke—although it might be coming from the most glorious burger condiment yet concocted: The Heim bacon burnt end jam.

20-Heimburger-1250x0-c-default.jpg

Edited by Sparky

23 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Heim BBQ now has  them a burger.  Yes it's in FW and a BBQ joint but I put it in Dallas burgers.  Get over it.

This isn’t your standard burger. It’s a barbecue burger through and through, but the burger isn’t smoked. It starts with smoked brisket that’s chopped fine and mixed with raw ground beef from 44 Farms. There’s about twice as much ground beef as brisket in there, but you’ll taste the smoke—although it might be coming from the most glorious burger condiment yet concocted: The Heim bacon burnt end jam.

20-Heimburger-1250x0-c-default.jpg

giphy.gif

• Like 1

I’ve mentioned it in another thread, but Sky Rocket Burger in far north Dallas has an absolutely outstanding burger. It’s a hole in the wall off Frankford and coit (Richardson/Plano effectively). It’s been open about a year and run by a couple that seems to work 6 days a week.

Holy shit. I don't know whether to eat it or make love to it.

Yes I'll have to get over there this week

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/26/2019 at 10:02 PM, ztejas said:

Adair's Saloon Deep Ellum. Burger and tots for $10.50.

20190526-215537.jpg

For the price I'd say 9/10.

Went back to Adairs last weekend and got the BLT for like $7. I know this is the "Burgers" thread but can confirm they make the shit out of a BLT also. 

• Like 1