Affordable Watches

GottaB

On 12/10/2023 at 8:09 AM, HoustonHorn said:
On 12/9/2023 at 4:09 PM, FirstTimeCaller said:
Gulp. Starting to look through this thread and getting the bug. I'm a big fan of this Stowa watch... but it's going to end up being about $1,400. Anyone know of anything similar that's an easier to handle price?

image.jpeg.0fd7de1c882b065337fdcace3f5c0de0.jpeg

Laco

811NdY9f0YS._AC_SX522_.jpg81t0KQkVwpS._AC_SX522_.jpg

56 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

What's the price range for "affordable?" I looked at a used Rolex today and it cost more than bluebook on a nice pre-owned Lexus.

Rolex prices have gone nuts.  I got a Cartier Roadster from Swiss Watch Exchange that is pretty sweet and I always get compliments on it when I wear it.  It is not an everyday watch for me.

1 hour ago, Litig8r said:

Rolex prices have gone nuts.  I got a Cartier Roadster from Swiss Watch Exchange that is pretty sweet and I always get compliments on it when I wear it.  It is not an everyday watch for me.

I love my Cartier Roadster XL.  My wife has one also with a pink face.  

My Roadster quit keeping correct time a while back and I had a ding in the case.  I had it fixed last year and that cost a thousand bucks.  It's great having it back in the rotation as a working watch and not just a pretty bracelet.

Gulp. Starting to look through this thread and getting the bug. I'm a big fan of this Stowa watch... but it's going to end up being about $1,400. Anyone know of anything similar that's an easier to handle price?

image.jpeg.0fd7de1c882b065337fdcace3f5c0de0.jpeg

https://www.reeds.com/media/catalog/product/cache/38c3c1b8e53ef11aa9803a5390245afc/h/a/hamilton_khaki_aviation_pilot_pioneer_watch_h76205530-1-20205431-hx9be403f0_1.jpg

Recently picked up a Seiko Prospex Solar Speedtimer for $295 at a Black Friday sale. It's a significant upgrade over Seiko's previous Spirit line of quartz chronographs, with a solar quartz movement instead of mechaquartz and a sapphire crystal instead of the Hardlex on the older models. Takes a lot of design cues from Seiko's original 1969 Speedtimer chronograph.

As far as solar quartz chronographs go, it doesn't get much better than this IMHO. And it looks damn nice on small wrists, just 39mm in diameter with a 45.5 mm lug-to-lug distance. If you're not a fan of quartz, Seiko also has an automatic version that goes for around $3K MSRP.

20231213-101000.jpgSSC815-1-69187.webp

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Recently picked up a Seiko Prospex Solar Speedtimer for $295 at a Black Friday sale. It's a significant upgrade over Seiko's previous Spirit line of quartz chronographs, with a solar quartz movement instead of mechaquartz and a sapphire crystal instead of the Hardlex on the older models. Takes a lot of design cues from Seiko's original 1969 Speedtimer chronograph.

As far as solar quartz chronographs go, it doesn't get much better than this IMHO. And it looks damn nice on small wrists, just 39mm in diameter with a 45.5 mm lug-to-lug distance. If you're not a fan of quartz, Seiko also has an automatic version that goes for around $3K MSRP.

20231213-101000.jpgSSC815-1-69187.webp

Clean

i was in houston yesterday and swatch galleria had swatch/neptunes and blancpain/antarcticas in stock.  i'm bringing one of the neptunes and two of the antarcticas back to austin.  i'm in dallas til after christmas but will be back in austin next weekend.  thought i'd give anyone on here first refusal.  $400 for the neptune, $550 for the antarticas.  if i don't hear anything by new year's day i'm going to put them on chronos for $450 and $600.

• 2 weeks later...

Two-tone sport watches

I used to always want a two-tone submariner with a blue face, but I never pulled the trigger on anything with gold in it.  Rolex is so sky-high now, especially anything with gold.

I like the look of these Seiko watches.  The custom modification ones on ebay look like they are trying too hard and will probably look fake.  The stock one looks nice in black.

Any opinions on Seiko quality?  Especially the bracelet feel.

My daily watch is a Citizen Eco-drive that is lasting forever.  I have nicer watches including Cartier, Omega, and Tag.

Stock:

SEIKO SRPK22,Men Sport,GMT,Mechanical,Automatic,Stainless,Two Tone,Charcoal Dial,100m WR

71ZgYGiEBBL._AC_SY575_.jpg

Ebay mods:

Two-Tone Black Bezel Black Dial NH35 Seiko Movement Custom Build Watch Mod

s-l1600.pngs-l1600.pngs-l1600.png

• Like 2

Two-tone sport watches

I used to always want a two-tone submariner with a blue face, but I never pulled the trigger on anything with gold in it.  Rolex is so sky-high now, especially anything with gold.
I like the look of these Seiko watches.  The custom modification ones on ebay look like they are trying too hard and will probably look fake.  The stock one looks nice in black.

My daily watch is a Citizen Eco-drive that is lasting forever.  I have nicer watches including Cartier, Omega, and Tag.

My daily driver is also a Citizen eco-drive. I have a few seikos. I wear the presage and the alpinist about the same amount, maybe once a month each. The metronome watch I've actually never worn. I've been very impressed with the quality - moreso than my speedy jr which i'd actually rank below my Seikos and tissots. As you can see though I have all three on straps instead of bracelets and none of them are divers so no help there.

472865eb8a901584535b834475aa6600.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

I've got this bracelet on my Alpinist, and I think it looks good and feels fine:

https://www.strapcode.com/collections/watch-bands-for-seiko-alpinist/products/metal-ss-pgd05-p2g064

And this bracelet on my SKX009, which is my daily, around the house, dad-mode watch, and it's sturdy as shit - highly recommended. 

https://www.strapcode.com/collections/watch-bands-for-seiko-skx007/products/metal-ss-bcl03-b025

Strapcode makes a ton of other bracelets and straps for Seiko and a handful of other brands. They're overseas somewhere, but their shipping is fast. 

As far as rubber straps go, I've got an orange one of these on my Orange Monster, a black one on my Moon MoonSwatch, and a black one on my bronze Borealis Navale, and am very pleased with them. I have fairly small wrists, and the straps are pretty long, so the end will occasionally come out of the second of the two little "tuck through loops" (for lack of a better term), but it's infrequent. The corners of the buckle itself are a tiny bit on the sharp side, but they are pretty flush, and I've never had a problem with it, but it's just something I noticed and remain aware of. 

https://www.borealiswatch.com/collections/premium-diver-watch-rubber-straps-1970s-style

I'll post pictures of all these someday whenever I get around to it. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

3 hours ago, Elvis said:

Two-tone sport watches

Stock:

SEIKO SRPK22,Men Sport,GMT,Mechanical,Automatic,Stainless,Two Tone,Charcoal Dial,100m WR

71ZgYGiEBBL._AC_SY575_.jpg

Ebay mods:

Two-Tone Black Bezel Black Dial NH35 Seiko Movement Custom Build Watch Mod

s-l1600.pngs-l1600.pngs-l1600.png

You probably already know this, but just in case; the Seiko SPRK22 is just an imitation dive-style watch, not an actual dive watch like the Submariner. No 12:00 lume pip, no screw-down crown, and just 100m of water resistance. If you want a black-and-gilt proper diver's watch from Seiko take a look at the SPB315 or the SNE586 (Strapcode/Uncle Seiko make two-tone bracelets for both). You'll also get a sapphire crystal and a better 6r35 movement.

• Like 1

I wish my watches fit in one or two boxes. I own that Orion and you have one of the original Direnzo's which is awesome.

Nice mix. Love the UN. I've never been big on a Rolex but that's a nice one. Cool Omega as well.

My collection consists nearly entirely of independent brands and microbrands.

Kudoke, Moser, Czapek, Holthinrichs... And a lot of nearly unknown brands. As if those big ones are "well known".

One vintage Rolex and a ladies datejust I bought for my wife. I also have a couple GOs, a 60s and a 70s.

F Tapa, but I'll try to load some photos of the affordable ones soon.

Here's my Straum... Which is a great microbrand although the new models are closer to $2k. This was $800 before the bracelet.
67e1d46fc30b0b50da388a23e28366e3.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

^^^ I'm still needing a 2-3 to finish out, but I'm in no hurry.  I enjoy the hunt more than the kill.  I still need a black, purple/wine, silver dial.  The Rolex is not mine; it belongs to a friend who is having a hard time keeping his shit together.  I have it for security reasons.  One day he'll come around and it will be waiting.  I'm not much of a Rolex guy myself, I like shit I like. Too many people think it is the brand to have.   Rolex is like Bucee's, they have one helluva marketing plan.  There a plenty of other brands out there.  In other words, it's like owning white pickup.  Nothing wrong with it, but you look like everyone else driving down the road.  I'd rather do my own thing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

^^^ I'm still needing a 2-3 to finish out, but I'm in no hurry.  I enjoy the hunt more than the kill.  I still need a black, purple/wine, silver dial.  The Rolex is not mine; it belongs to a friend who is having a hard time keeping his shit together.  I have it for security reasons.  One day he'll come around and it will be waiting.  I'm not much of a Rolex guy myself, I like shit I like. Too many people think it is the brand to have.   Rolex is like Bucee's, they have one helluva marketing plan.  There a plenty of other brands out there.  In other words, it's like owning white pickup.  Nothing wrong with it, but you look like everyone else driving down the road.  I'd rather do my own thing.
I hunt, kill and hunt some more.

Re: purple, definitely one I don't have. A few that I've come across lately that I like.

Sub 1k
Moels 369
https://moelsandco.com/moels-369

About 2k
Cedric Bellon CB01
https://watchangels.ch/en/shop/

The purple appears to be sold out. I'm waiting on the orange.

A little higher up the $ scale is the Keiser Design
https://en.kieserdesign.de/uhren

You can configure a lot of different elements.

Hoping to add one this year at some point.

Re: Rolex, I'm with you 100%. They just don't do much for me, maybe because I see them EVERYWHERE. I don't want to have a watch that everyone else has. They are good watches but in reality there are much better and more interesting watches at those price points. They are just completely uninteresting to me and it seems most people who have them have them for the wrong reason.

But I'm also coming from the viewpoint of someone who loves watches and horology. I can't do mass produced watches any more. I appreciate being able to meet the designer or the watchmaker and understanding their inspiration and appreciating the uniqueness of their watches

Hoping to pick this up next... Nicholas Hacko. 1st edition. I think there are only 9.

Amazing case and feathering brushwork on the hands. I've seen some reels and it really catches the light in incredible ways. Screenshot_20240107_112617_Instagram.jpgScreenshot_20240107_112629_Instagram.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

I just recently added a purple-faced watch to my collection - a Henry Archer Nordso Neon III 316.  Haven't had much opportunity to wear it yet, but I really dig it. Stumbled onto the brand while following one link or another that @HoustonHorn shared. They also have some more lavender/violet faces. 

https://henryarcher.com/en-us/collections/nordso/products/nordso-neon-iii-316

I had some serious problems with DHL (nobody gives a shit about the details of these stories, but I strongly suspect that a DHL employee attempted to steal it), and Henrik, the owner, was extremely helpful, involved, and accommodating. 

I'll post more/better pictures later, but I'm quite pleased with it so far. 

20240107_151012.thumb.jpg.9048854890856b33a1993e60e1ba934c.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Can't believe I forgot my favorite purple watch.

The Havender from Arcanaut. Actually a lavender, but these are great watches. One of the guys, James (@blackbadger) has worked with super high end shit like Hautlence and MB&F. He's a man scientist and came up with the material for the Havender from Blue mussels.

I have an ARC II Fordite which is made from industrial paint waste from old Ford factories.

2024_0101_09500300.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

The 369's look nice.  I do favor the SW200 movements.  I'm looking at Farer Discovery or the Formex field watch.  I like 'em both. 

Farer Automatic Watches - Discovery - Purple - Swiss Made - La Joux-Perret G101

Formex Field Automatic Ultra Violet 41mm (formexwatch.com)

As far as black goes I like the Sinn 6100, Glashutte (just about any model) but in the spirit of "affordable" I also like Marloe, Campanola, Houtman, Dekla, or.. there's so many great black dials.  Hence, the reason I haven't bought a black one yet.

Sceptre - Black Edition – Marloe Watch Company

NZ0000-07F|MECHANICAL COLLECTION|CAMPANOLA OFFICIAL SITE|CITIZEN (citizenwatch-global.com)

Murchison Aviator - Houtman Watches Australia

Grey or Silver, right now I haven't a clue.

Edited by Bevo&Pevo
  • Like 1

The 369's look nice.  I do favor the SW200 movements.  I'm looking at Farer Discovery or the Formex field watch.  I like 'em both. 
Farer Automatic Watches - Discovery - Purple - Swiss Made - La Joux-Perret G101
Formex Field Automatic Ultra Violet 41mm (formexwatch.com)
As far as black goes I like the Sinn 6100, Glashutte (just about any model) but in the spirit of "affordable" I also like Marloe, Campanola, Houtman, Dekla, or.. there's so many great black dials.  Hence, the reason I haven't bought a black one yet.
Sceptre - Black Edition – Marloe Watch Company
NZ0000-07F|MECHANICAL COLLECTION|CAMPANOLA OFFICIAL SITE|CITIZEN (citizenwatch-global.com)
Murchison Aviator - Houtman Watches Australia
Grey or Silver, right now I haven't a clue.

I really like my Formex Field. Super lightweight and comfortable. Also coated so it doesn't scratch easily. I have the petrol blue which is one of my favorite blue colors. I prefer the leather strap with adjustable deployant strap. It adds a couple hundred to the watch though. I've hung out with the Formex guys a couple times and I like that they truly innovate.

Farer is great although I sold my Cobb a while back.

I was pretty impressed with the Houtmann when I borrowed a buddies but it wasn't the aviator which looks great.

Sinn/GO are always fantastic.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Paging [mention=850]HoustonHorn[/mention] to the courtesy phone.
My man, bro, partner, ol' comrade, buddy of mine...any chance you know someone who might have a line on a Kemmner Tonneau in black?
The Kemmner's are really cool watches. Not aware of any black around for sale. I did see a white/silver here.

https://www.mywatchmart.com/listing/528108-wts-kemmner-tonneau/

If I come across one I'll definitely let you know.

^^ 10-4 I'd appreciate it.  It may not be a flashy or carry the name recognition of Sinn or some others, but I like 'em.  BTW, I did pull the trigger on a Formex violet.  BWHAHAHA!  

BTW, in additon to Chrono24, I use these links:

WatchPatrol - Enthusiast Powered Watch Search

WatchCharts | Luxury Watch Market Insights

Edited by Bevo&Pevo

I’ve scrolled back a year and did not see a mention of it so I’ll drop it here.

Long Island Watch is making watches now. Apparently this is not new. I used to watch a lot of his videos but I guess my interest in watches waned and lost track of his changes.

When I was watching his stuff he was focused on showcasing other brands and mods of Seikos. Now He’s basically releasing homages or near copies of models that Seiko has stopped making. I assume he had all the customization options (bezels, glass, bracelets, etc) he decided he could have someone mix and match and rebrand as Islanders.

I scrolled his offerings and videos of his releases over the last few years. I definitely missed out on some runs that I would have bought.

I saw these and would be happy to own any
5338be1a64452b5dff2245c60b6c8eac.jpg
995d8104d81e95a3328c7e5e898b7e43.jpg
b8e7ccbce934792c13cb9d4d0b1a94aa.jpg
e2ef4662aac4e4051ec7edc193ddd2bf.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

For ~$300-350 you get a seiko movement, solid link bracelet, good glass and plenty of lume.

Anyone purchased one of his models?
Mark seems like a good guy and I used to watch some of his videos. But for the life of me I can't understand why anyone would want to buy an homage of a cheap watch. Just buy the Seiko. There are millions of them, even the ones that are discontinued.

And this isn't directed specifically at you.

But I really can't even imagine buying an homage of an expensive watch. Is it just a desire to announce you can't afford the real thing?

There are so many watch brands out there making some extremely cool watches using a variety of Japanese and Swiss movements. Most for under $1k and many for just a few hundred dollars. These people have actually spent time designing, creating, developing and manufacturing a watch, not ripping off someone else's design and using off the shelf parts from China to create a knockoff of a mass produced watch.

Seriously, what is the reasoning?

And a caveat, I don't know what Long Island Watch is selling these days. Just responding to the post of the homages.

Check purple off the list.  For fun, I order a couple of NATO straps.  If my wrist were any larger, I couldn't get it through the Velcro strap.   I'll use the Velcro for a week or so, and then change over to compare fit, feel, and looks. 

Formex1.jpg

Formex2.jpg

Formex3.jpg

Straps.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

There are so many watch brands out there making some extremely cool watches using a variety of Japanese and Swiss movements. Most for under $1k and many for just a few hundred dollars. These people have actually spent time designing, creating, developing and manufacturing a watch, not ripping off someone else's design and using off the shelf parts from China to create a knockoff of a mass produced watch.

Seriously, what is the reasoning?

And a caveat, I don't know what Long Island Watch is selling these days. Just responding to the post of the homages.

The reasoning, and I'm not saying that I agree with it, is that Seiko has recently been jacking up their prices without really improving their product.

For a long time Seiko has been on par with Citizen in that mid-tier watch range. Recently, Seiko's management decided they wanted to move up a tier and be seen as competition for Tissot/Hamilton (chasing would-be Swiss buyers). They took the chance during the transition from the 7S26 movements (found in the old Seiko 5 SKXs, which you used to be able to get for ~$150 or so) to the 4R36 movement which added hacking/hand-winding. Now Seiko 5's go for $400 MSRP, with the same Hardlex crystal, a decreased water resistance of 100m, very cheap pressed-clasp bracelets, and a movement with +45/-35s accuracy. In other words they're heavily overpriced now.

Long Island saw the chance to fill the void Seiko left behind (Orient has done this too, to an extent) and started to release their own watches. They deliberately use Seiko's designs and movements, but with sapphire crystal and 200m water resistance. They want that segment of buyers who are disgruntled with Seiko's price hikes and want similar-looking alternatives at better price points.

Edit: This is a $575 watch with a Hardlex crystal. What are you doing, Seiko.

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 1

Check purple off the list.  For fun, I order a couple of NATO straps.  If my wrist were any larger, I couldn't get it through the Velcro strap.   I'll use the Velcro for a week or so, and then change over to compare fit, feel, and looks. 

Formex1.thumb.jpg.3494529bd873a9281a221e9a76ce6b8e.jpg
Formex2.thumb.jpg.fc1d10a17a3c571753dc967628069395.jpg
Formex3.thumb.jpg.e317e8aeb44af14ebec9f28a35473c56.jpg
Straps.thumb.jpg.01acc1167cd5910a7a5cae164335d216.jpg
Very cool. Super lightweight on the Velcro strap. I really love mine in the Petrol Blue.

I love how NATOs look, hate how they wear.

I recently bought a couple Nick Mankey Hook Straps. Incredibly comfortable and don't add any height to the watch. A perfect solution, although more expensive.

9749d4cf47bdeea5eb473fcb94e99f25.jpg
  • Like 1

The reasoning, and I'm not saying that I agree with it, is that Seiko has recently been jacking up their prices without really improving their product.
For a long time Seiko has been on par with Citizen in that mid-tier watch range. Recently, Seiko's management decided they wanted to move up a tier and be seen as competition for Tissot/Hamilton (chasing would-be Swiss buyers). They took the chance during the transition from the 7S26 movements (found in the old Seiko 5 SKXs, which you used to be able to get for ~$150 or so) to the 4R36 movement which added hacking/hand-winding. Now Seiko 5's go for $400 MSRP, with the same Hardlex crystal, a decreased water resistance of 100m, very cheap pressed-clasp bracelets, and a movement with +45/-35s accuracy. In other words they're heavily overpriced now.
Long Island saw the chance to fill the void Seiko left behind (Orient has done this too, to an extent) and started to release their own watches. They deliberately use Seiko's designs and movements, but with sapphire crystal and 200m water resistance. They want that segment of buyers who are disgruntled with Seiko's price hikes and want similar-looking alternatives at better price points.
Edit: This is a $575 watch with a Hardlex crystal. What are you doing, Seiko.

Yeah. It seemed like Seiko had the spot well covered. They had pretty good automatic options that a lot of people would get on their way nicer alternatives. and they let it go to persue a different price point. Seems like they could have done both.

A lot of people were customizing their popular models. I never met anyone that kept their Seiko stock. They replaced the bracelet, the bezel or the glass. LIW jumping in with models that use the same parts makes but improved options makes a lot of sense to me.

Now it’s up to Seiko to make something else better and make us want it.

We’ll see. I ordered the white one.

It's always been my (mostly uninformed) view that historically, Seiko has been a lot like Subaru - very solid, mostly dependable but not without some quirks, fiercely loyal fanbase, built to be modification-friendly, and at the top of the "bang for your buck performance that punches above its weight class", etc. 

But like I feel that Subaru lost my its way about 10-12 years ago by abandoning its established niche and instead trying to become Toyota (i.e., generically appealing to the lowest common denominator), and it sounds like Seiko is electing to follow the same path. 

Capitalism at its finest - abandon what you built your reputation on in order to keep the stock price climbing. Nobody is content to dance with the date that brought them anymore... 

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. I mostly stopped paying attention to major brands a few years ago. I wasn't aware that Seiko was trying to move more up-market.

One of the things I like most about watches is the creativity and craftsmanship. It's why I really don't like homages... Its just someone stealing a known successful design for commercial gain. No real skill or creativity so I'd personally prefer to buy the original is it's something I like.

Arrived today. Its a good feeling watch. I like it. I would buy again. I did like the fact that the bracelet has screws for link adjustment and they included the screwdriver needed. I’m still pissed I have ditched OEM bracelets on my Seiko Monster as the pin came out of the collar at the worst time more than once.
a1095bc7610184b448684f90e750f37a.jpg
1b389e2e6a2f67a20a5a7ccaa6fa2205.jpg
83f21d444fe9f256c7ba426c510fc082.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...