2020 Texas HS football

LTtxfan

A few years ago when they hosted the games at NRG the UIL lost 1million in revenue due to having 100k fewer attendance numbers and etc. After that they made sure it was going to be in Dallas. According to numbers the UIL pays the rental fee of the venue for these games. NRG charged 450k while Jerryworld only charges 250k. I’m not sure of the current numbers. 

while yes tv is a big part of it so is the UIL and their revenue for the event. More revenue means more money for participating schools

Yeah, I most definitely was not trying to rehash the argument and tried to respectfully acknowledge Jerry World’s value in the equation.  

I also knew it would be too much for the DFW Chamber of Commerce types to resist. 

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

After the first half of the game, the Jaguars led 28 to 7. In the second half, Fenner said officials called 16 penalties on the Jaguars, while ignoring all but two penalties made by the Eagles. The Eagles went on to win by a field goal after an LBJ touchdown was called back. 

It’s an immense pressure on the officials selected to do the games in Jerry World for our state championships! They are selected by the UIL and their respective chapter. It is truly an honor to work any of these games - 1A all the way to 6A!

Last year I was given the “honor” of just working on the chain crew for all three games on Saturday. That was one 5A and both 6A divisions. I was there on the “front row” for three State Championship games!

All props to everyone involved and during this COVID year, I’m glad that I’m at home and watching it on TV.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Fuck that

6 rounds iof playoffs are what should be.  Not sure if you noticed, but 3-4-5th round games were on Thursday for many schools in smaller classes. They do it to be ready for the State Finals. 

4 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I doubt it.  Can't address the allegations, but someone I know who saw it - he has zero connection to either school - said it looked odd.  After the Okie lite win when Charlie got booted, I believe that officials can definitely be for sale or have agendas.  But I generally consider such things highly unlikely.

9 minutes ago, cafe society said:

I doubt it.  Can't address the allegations, but someone I know who saw it - he has zero connection to either school - said it looked odd.  After the Okie lite win when Charlie got booted, I believe that officials can definitely be for sale or have agendas.  But I generally consider such things highly unlikely.

I watched the game.  At no point did I think, "Holy hell, that's bad officiating (at least worse than you normally see in HS)."  LBJ was just being stupid in the first half and then their coach went stupid in the 2nd.  

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I watched the game.  At no point did I think, "Holy hell, that's bad officiating (at least worse than you normally see in HS)."  LBJ was just being stupid in the first half and then their coach went stupid in the 2nd.  

Yeah, I doubt the suit or complain has merit.  Probably shouldn't have brought up 2015 OSU.

5 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

The Bridgeland- Dekaney 4 OT game was nuts, Craziest game I've ever been to in my life. 

If they had one of those win probability meters for that game i bet both teams were at 95% or higher at least twice. 

here are some highlights  

Thanks.  I went back and watched some of it on TexanLive.

The "unfair act" thing cracked me up; looked like the coach reached out onto the field and touched the player to keep him from coming off the field when he was coming to the sidelines.  I don't know the rule, but I assume that's illegal.  Ref threw a flag nearly right away.  

I'm willing to give that officiating crew the benefit of the doubt, given that they had made a really good call on the previous play on the illegal forward pass when Dekaney tried to run a flea flicker off a pop pass.  If the ref knows that's illegal and the coach doesn't realize the pop pass is a forward pass and draws up a play having that guy throw the ball (again), it shows which party knows the rule book.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

The "unfair act" thing cracked me up; looked like the coach reached out onto the field and touched the player to keep him from coming off the field when he was coming to the sidelines.  I don't know the rule, but I assume that's illegal.  Ref threw a flag nearly right away.  

I'm willing to give that officiating crew the benefit of the doubt, given that they had made a really good call on the previous play on the illegal forward pass when Dekaney tried to run a flea flicker off a pop pass.  If the ref knows that's illegal and the coach doesn't realize the pop pass is a forward pass and draws up a play having that guy throw the ball (again), it shows which party knows the rule book.  

On their possession in the 3rd OT (I think) Dekaney tried a field goal that was blocked by a kid with the club on his broken hand, picked up and returned about 50 yards by another Bridgeland kid who was pushed out of bounds.  Refs threw a flag on the Bridgeland bench for being in the refs way and the penalty carried over to their offensive possession.  Then a holding call and the ball is at the 50 in overtime. Never seen that before.  

Those calls you mentioned were huge and naturally unpopular with the Dekaney side but were correct.  My son said Dekaney ran the jet sweep earlier on the game and the qb handed it off rather than the flip on the called back play so may have been execution rather than coaching there 

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I'm willing to give that officiating crew the benefit of the doubt, given that they had made a really good call on the previous play on the illegal forward pass when Dekaney tried to run a flea flicker off a fly sweep.  If the ref knows that's illegal and the coach doesn't realize the fly sweep exchange is a forward pass and draws up a play having that guy throw the ball (again), it shows which party knows the rule book.  

edited for correct terminology because you apparently can't edit anything in the new surly.

3 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

After the first half of the game, the Jaguars led 28 to 7. In the second half, Fenner said officials called 16 penalties on the Jaguars, while ignoring all but two penalties made by the Eagles. The Eagles went on to win by a field goal after an LBJ touchdown was called back. 

RIGGED! #stopthesteal

/ducks

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1