2020 Texas HS football

LTtxfan

Jim Ned wins a squeaker 24-17.  Art for some reason went for it on 4th-12, tie game from his own 45 with 6 minutes to play.  JN took the ball after the incompletion and got a TD in 2 minutes.  MV drove the field, but fumbled on 1st and goal from the 3 with 1:45 left.  They had all three TOs, so they got the ball back, got down to about the 15, but threw an INT at the goal line with :01 left.  Neither team looked impressive; H'ville gonna roll.  

Speaking of impressive, Canadian has completely shut down Gunter's running game, and leads 33-0 in the 4th quarter.  Seems like a bigger rout than that score.  Damn, Canadian is good.  

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 4

14 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Thanks anyway.  Understanding the general attitude of the Surl, give no quarter, expect no quarter.  Guess I am shut out of the playoffs.

Get the FSSW Football Friday app for your phone and check the game chats for links.  Or spend $9 and get TexanLive for a month.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Get the FSSW Football Friday app for your phone and check the game chats for links.  Or spend $9 and get TexanLive for a month.  

Of course, and thanks.  Just a really irritating ankle-biting day that has prevented me from getting anything done or enjoyed.  I posted in a fit of pique.  Always poor strategy.

• Like 1

Letting my nuts hang and calling a Laredo United upset vs SA Stevens tonight. Stevens has the better athletes but Mykkele Thompson isn’t walking through that door. United has racked up preseason W’s against Alamo Heights, Stevens (twice), San Marcos (I know), and SA Reagan over the past 5 years. David Sanchez is a great coach and that spread attack absolutely keeps them in the game against these northern schools. Their problem is they always run into Judson in the playoffs. Just remember you heard it here first when the Longhorns come out on top tonight.

• Like 1

3AD2  Franklin 14 Waskom 13 Franklin got a late TD on a 33-yard pass to edge Waskom.  They're gonna get prison-raped by Canadian.

4AD1  Argyle 37 Canyon 13  Argyle is just a machine.

4AD2 Carthage leads Wimberley 38-7 and Gilmer is beating Graham 35-21, both late in the 4th.

LBJ has blown a 22-0 lead and is tied at 28 with Lindale,  who has the ball at the LBJ 34.

In opening rounds,

Vandy blew open a close game against Austin to win 45-24.

Mission 27 San Benito 18

SA Johnson 56 Wagner 42

Lindale beat LBJ on a last-second FG, 31-28.  LBJ actually blocked the first attempt and ran it back for a TD, but was flagged for being waaay offsides.  LBJ had a 28-7 halftime lead and were completely shutting down Jenkins, but he got loose in the 2nd half, and LBJ got stuffed on 4th-and-1s twice in the 4th quarter on their own side of the field with the game tied.  

Edited by Beau Vine

Smithson Valley rallied from 20-3 to beat Reagan 24-20.

Seguin leads Hendrickson 64-61 with 7 minutes left.  Whoops, 67-64, now trailing.  Now 70-67 Seguin.  The Matadors won 70-63 last week.

Westfield 33 CP 7

Dawson 35 Dickinson 19

Longview 41 Lufkin 5

Vela 38 Weslaco 33 in the Helobius Game of the Week

Edited by Beau Vine

29 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

3AD2  Franklin 14 Waskom 13 Franklin got a late TD on a 33-yard pass to edge Waskom.  They're gonna get prison-raped by Canadian.

4AD1  Argyle 37 Canyon 20  Argyle is just a machine.

4AD2 Carthage beat Wimberley 38-7 and Gilmer beat Graham 35-21.

Lindale 31 LBJ 28

4AD1 Argyle-Lindale

4AD1 Gilmer-Carthage

3AD1 Jim Ned-Hallettsville

3AD2 Franklin-Canadian

2AD1  Post-Shiner

2AD2 Windthorst-Mart

AT&T streaming offers a 7-day free trial.  I think they're the only streaming that offers FSSW.

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

4AD1 Argyle-Lindale

4AD1 Gilmer-Carthage

3AD1 Jim Ned-Hallettsville

3AD2 Franklin-Canadian

2AD1  Post-Shiner

2AD2 Windthorst-Mart

AT&T streaming offers a 7-day free trial.  I think they're the only streaming that offers FSSW.

BTW, this is one shitty list of matchups.  There might not be a single game that I'd put a single digit line on.

30 minutes ago, NIUHuskies said:

Tale of two halves for Smithson Valley. Reagan was up 20 to 3 at half. Rangers get a 8 minute td drive to open 2nd half. Reagan's next possession pick six. Reagan could not get their offense moving after that. Punts and ints. One pick led to a Smithson Valley td in the 4th. 

Did you go to the game? Sounds like Smithson Valley has a gutty team, so good for them. Our Chaps will play them next week in Pflugerville. 

2 hours ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

Was LT missing players due to the virus?

Their QB missed a lot of the season, and they missed two games. I think the Westlake game would have helped prepare them for a strong RR team, but they cancelled the game due to the Trump Boat Parade, I mean COVID 19. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Did you go to the game? Sounds like Smithson Valley has a gutty team, so good for them. Our Chaps will play them next week in Pflugerville. 

I did. Good matchup of coaches Dodge v Hill next week.

Where is the RR v Steele going to be?

Edited by NIUHuskies

United-Stevens prediction off by not a lot. Whatever. Harlingen vs Stevens next round. We owe them for the 2010 playoffs. For reference on how good 2009-2011 Harlingen was, they held a future NFL player to 17 regulation points, eventually losing in 2OT to Stevens with Mykkele Thompson at QB.

Holy fuck at LT losing in 1st round. 

Really, really hoped Weslaco could pull off the upset vs Vela. Damn. 

Decent showing for RGV at 5A level vs non-valley comp. Pioneer trounced Medina Valley, Weslaco East gets past Victoria East, Mercedes beat Floresville.

Statewide, both 6A private school powers out after 1 round. Houston Strake Jesuit & Dallas Jesuit gone.

No but really, holy shit LT.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Helobious said:

United-Stevens prediction off by not a lot. Whatever. Harlingen vs Stevens next round. We owe them for the 2010 playoffs. For reference on how good 2009-2011 Harlingen was, they held a future NFL player to 17 regulation points, eventually losing in 2OT to Stevens with Mykkele Thompson at QB.

Decent showing for RGV at 5A level vs non-valley comp. Pioneer trounced Medina Valley, Weslaco East gets past Victoria East, Mercedes beat Floresville.

Statewide, both 6A private school powers out after 1 round. Houston Strake Jesuit & Dallas Jesuit gone.

Stevens sure doesn’t seem like a juggernaut. I’d feel a lot better at Big Red’s chances if this had been a normal year and they’d had time to get to playoff form.  They’ve just seemed a bit disjointed all season.  But walloping a RGV team is a good start.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Helobious said:

The valley 5As should thank the UIL for upping the cutoff number which took Calallen, PLC and Miller to 4A.  None the less , good to see them move to a second round against some new competition and hopefully one or a couple of them can make some noise. 

54 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

The valley 5As should thank the UIL for upping the cutoff number which took Calallen, PLC and Miller to 4A.  None the less , good to see them move to a second round against some new competition and hopefully one or a couple of them can make some noise. 

What happened to big school Coastal Bend football?  They don’t even have 6a schools now.   But I remember that CC Carroll, Victoria High, Gregory Portland, etc used to have some pretty decent teams.  They had problems with San Antonio, but now they are just no -entities.  Did they split themselves into oblivion? 

Edited by 956 Worldwide

8 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

BTW, this is one shitty list of matchups.  There might not be a single game that I'd put a single digit line on.

The colonies weren't favored either...we still played it out to be sure.

tenor.0.gif

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

We didn't play awfully well... 76 yard run on the 1st play, 40ish yard pass after a turnover, TD on a short field with not much steady yards in between got most of our points.

But it really doesn't help when the refs blow a call like this to give Vela the ball on the good side of the 50 to take the lead.

https://youtu.be/ZLkFObeRiXg?t=8181

QB was very obviously throwing it forward, but called a fumble. Smh. If that gets called correctly, we punt it away and who knows, maybe nothing changes. But it certainly didn't help.

Edited by TheBryMan81

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

What happened to big school Coastal Bend football?  They don’t even have 6a schools now.   But I remember that CC Carroll, Victoria High, Gregory Portland, etc used to have some pretty decent teams.  They had problems with San Antonio, but now they are just no -entities.  Did they split themselves into oblivion? 

1).  Victoria tried the super one high school thing after years of division with Vic High being the wealthier school and Stroman being the poor kids school.   They had visions of being the next Judson and it didn’t quite work out.   Plan B was to split the city from east to west to get the cross sections of the populations in both schools.  With the exception of Vic West when they hired the Cuero coach, their hires have been crappy.  Had it not been for talent at East, they’d be a shit storm every year under the current coach.  They still get dumped on by teams that are better than them and by a lot. 

2) GP has a problem with lack of coordination between the middle and high school from folks I know at GP.  The middle school program is job security program and the coaches there  are either older than dirt or buddies of those same people. The Superintendents have allowed this despite promising the ADs they hired the past few years including Rhodes who won state titles at Cameron Yoe this would change and it hasn’t.  He’s probably gone to better opportunities here soon where he will win again. As a Calallen fan and parent,  it’s sad  to see because they used to be a rival game we’d look forward too.   But in the last 10 years or so, the games have been a bloodbath for the most part.  

3) Carrol is a CCISD systemic problem that was compounded by the CCISD allowing Vets to became a CCISD all star athletic program when they opened it with open enrollment for which they grandfathered siblings who may still be in grade school today even thought they are supposedly closed the open enrollment.   Much like GP, the high school, coaches can’t implement their systems in the middle school feeders.   And one middle school can feed three high schools in some instances.  Plus they do have some lose transfer rules also in the middle schools which screws things up.   On top of this, they’ve had an AD whom many think doesn’t have football at the top of her priority list and that is evident with some of her hires.  On top of this, most of the newbie football talent that moves to the area and get guidance when it comes to schools which have their academic and football program in gear are given the recommendation to look at Calallen and Flour Bluff first and maybe London ISD which is a booming area that borders the Carrol and Vets attendance zones. 

Carrol is getting ready to open a brand new $150 million dollar building here soon and Vets is approaching 6A numbers which they mysteriously missed by a few students this last realignment.   If the CCISD was smart, they would allow Carroll the same opportunity to build itself up like they did Vets to appease the Carroll alums who are fit to be tied to see what their program and school has become.  You’d be surprised how many people in the city hate Vets because of the special treatment they got when they decided to make it the 6th CCISD high school.   It was originally designated as a the Carroll replacement, but CCISD got stupid and decided they needed sixth high school.   I’m glad I don’t pay taxes in that district. 

Edited by Nueces River Rat
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TheBryMan81 said:

We didn't play awfully well... 76 yard run on the 1st play, 40ish yard pass after a turnover, TD on a short field with not much steady yards in between got most of our points.

But it really doesn't help when the refs blow a call like this to give Vela the ball on the good side of the 50 to take the lead.

https://youtu.be/ZLkFObeRiXg?t=8181

QB was very obviously throwing it forward, but called a fumble. Smh. If that gets called correctly, we punt it away and who knows, maybe nothing changes. But it certainly didn't help.

Uniquely shitty call, wow. Tough break for the panthers. East has a real shot against SA Southwest at least, hope they can keep it going. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Uniquely shitty call, wow. Tough break for the panthers. East has a real shot against SA Southwest at least, hope they can keep it going. 

Tough game for us, but we definitely had a few opportunities to win it.

Coach Burgett, as much as I want to go cross town rival on my opinion of him, I must admit has had East consistently among the top teams in the Valley over the past almost 10 years.

10 minutes ago, torre said:

Larry Hill one of the best coaches in the State.    Chaps should win but SV will not beat themselves.

I've been watching Westlake for many years and this is one of the best defenses we've ever fielded. We gave up 20 point this regular season and most of the scores were garbage time. Last night, Cedar Ridge (who had 6 yards of offense in the middle of the 3rd quarter) scored on a very beautiful long ball against our backups and ran back a QB fumble at the end. I predict we advance through the playoffs up until a meeting w North Shore in the semi's and then lose a close one. If we had been lucky to go D2, it's another state championship. However, Smithson Valley has a good sports program overall and it's the playoffs and anything can happen-Just ask Lake Travis.    @NIUHuskies

Edited by TreatyOak