2020 Texas HS football

LTtxfan

On 12/15/2020 at 8:55 PM, Helobious said:

SV has faced LT or Westlake in the first 2 rounds like 5 or 6 straight years or something ridiculous. That’s just unfair.

Vela has the offensive firepower to match Brennan believe it or not. OT Ronnie Garza committed to UTSA, QB AJ Sotelo is a playmaker committed to UIW baseball, Pablo Rivera is a top 3 valley RB, and Justin Vega and Carlos Tamez are top 10 valley WRs easily, especially Vega.Their o-line is big for a high school team, shortest guy is 6-1. They’re so blessed that all that football talent happened to live in their little attendance zone in Edinburg. Should be a great game.

Narrator: They didn’t have the offensive firepower to match Brennan. 28-0 in the 3rd.

2 hours ago, cafe society said:

Yeah, I doubt the suit or complain has merit.  Probably shouldn't have brought up 2015 OSU.

I watched the highlights. LBJ return man fumbled the ball into his end zone and the ball was recovered past the end line. Both ball and recovery player were clearly out of bounds. I don’t know if there was bias but that was a terrible call. Also, Lindale has some African American players on their team.

LOL our Chaps up 41-3 over Smithson Valley at half. 3 is one less first down than Smithson Valley has at half. There are plenty of good programs in San Antonio but rarely any great ones. Can any of our SA followers provide any insights about what is missing.

We really do have a great defense this year that will hopefully take us to showdown w North Shore. Not sure we can beat them, though. 

While we have been dominant against San Antonio programs, I would say that the best team we regularly play is Cibolo Steele.  

EDIT: Now 62-3. 

Edited by TreatyOak

7 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

LOL our Chaps up 41-3 over Smithson Valley at half. 3 is one less first down than Smithson Valley has at half. There are plenty of good programs in San Antonio but rarely any great ones. Can any of our SA followers provide any insights about what is missing.

We really do have a great defense this year that will hopefully take us to showdown w North Shore. Not sure we can beat them, though. 

Coaching

• Hook 'Em 1

Here's the short highlights from the Lindale/LBJ game. Watch the horrible call on the fumbled punt. Could just be typical, terrible HS refs, though.

Probably not a good look that the TV announcer uses a horribly racist phrase at the end of the game. For those of you too lazy to watch, he says something like "Great Googly Moogly"

28 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Coaching as BO&W said. Demographic shifts are a big factor, as is all the new schools opening (Northside ISD, SV & Judson hurt by this). Reagan & Johnson have the least excuses of any of them though imo. Both large, high rated, mostly affluent schools, each fully fed by 2 middle schools that send all their kids to 1 HS. Maybe not an ideal demographic mix for football players but they both get high participation numbers. A good coach could certainly make a power out of what they have to work with there.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

EDIT: Now 55-3. 

I’m kind of looking forward to seeing them (us) play a team that might be able to score 20. The defense has been dominant. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Coaching as BO&W said. Demographic shifts are a big factor, as is all the new schools opening (Northside ISD, SV & Judson hurt by this). Reagan & Johnson have the least excuses of any of them though imo. Both large, high rated, mostly affluent schools, each fully fed by 2 middle schools that send all their kids to 1 HS. Maybe not an ideal demographic mix for football players but they both get high participation numbers. A good coach could certainly make a power out of what they have to work with there.

But look at Highland Park. 

Im not sure why they keep building more schools instead of adding on to make them more competitive in athletics. 

I was actually looking at this last night. Dallas has the largest schools by enrollment followed by Houston. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/14/2020 at 2:40 PM, Beau Vine said:

1.  2AD2: Mart over Windthorst.  Mart has won state 3 years in a row and this team is as good as their predecessors.  They've outscored their opponents 643-141 in 12 games;

2.  4AD2: Carthage over Gilmer.  Carthage's defense is the difference here and maybe the best we'll see this week.  They've allowed 95 points in 12 games; 

After seeing this I thought damn, those are some good stats, and wondered how Westlake compared.

Regular season they outscored their opponents 494-34

So far in the playoffs 57-14 and in the 4th quarter 62-3, so 117-17 in the playoffs, and 611-54 total for the season.

• Hook 'Em 1

Im not sure why they keep building more schools instead of adding on to make them more competitive in athletics. 

I was actually looking at this last night. Dallas has the largest schools by enrollment followed by Houston. 
Isn't North Shore the biggest in Houston?

Just now, Beau Vine said:
8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Either them or one of the Katy or Alief schools 

18 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If you have a ton of black or white kids you’ve got good demographics for football. SA schools are usually light on both compared to their Austin/Dallas/Houston counterparts. I’d put demographics at a distant 3rd on list of challenges faced by SA schools though. Coaching & plethora of new schools are the two biggest issues by far. Just look at Steele, they haven’t been the same since the Jenks & his disciple left. Although they did pull out a W tonight.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

If you have a ton of black or white kids you’ve got good demographics for football. SA schools are usually light on both compared to their Austin/Dallas/Houston counterparts. I’d put demographics at a distant 3rd on list of challenges faced by SA schools though. Coaching & plethora of new schools are the two biggest issues by far. Just look at Steele, they haven’t been the same since the Jenks & his disciple left. Although they did pull out a W tonight.

If Judson, Reagan, Johnson, Steele, or O’Connor get the right coach they could create a dynasty. 

I feel like those 5 schools have the most potential out of any of the schools in San Antonio. Especially O’Connor, Judson, and Johnson. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:
29 minutes ago, Helobious said:
Sharyland Pioneer 54 
Marble Falls 47
Pioneer scores winning TD with 12 seconds left on a fuck of an individual effort by a wide receiver.

No offense, but needing a last second TD to beat Marble Falls is kinda embarrassing.

Not familiar with the team really but the google said they went 7-2, doesn’t seem terrible at all. Did a double take when I saw they beat Navarro 62-0. Very different Navarro it turns out. 

That’s an embarrassing showing by SA Johnson. Damn. 

Pretty disheartening to see Brennan make Vela squeal piggy tonight. I know they’re better than Stevens but still. Cards will need to bring it all tomorrow. They can do it. 

Demographics isn’t the issue.  There are plenty of neighborhoods and communities around SA that can field the athletes you need.

It wasn’t too long ago that the SA area could lay claim to having the best football in the state. The old 26-5A of the 1990s was a BEAST including a year when it produced both state champions (1995 SA Roosevelt and Converse Judson). 

The tipping point in TXHSFB was the “awakening” of DFW (and lesser extent, Houston) wealthy communities.  They started pouring resources into the sport like Odessa Permian used to (coaches, facilities, camps, nutrition, etc).  It wasn’t ever magic, they just used to care more than everyone else. 

It’s easy to forget that up through the 1990s and early 2000s, the two biggest big metro areas had the best players but not the best teams— the best big school football was played in medium sized towns with 1-2 schools in West, East, and CenTex. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide

10 hours ago, Beau Vine said:
10 hours ago, Helobious said:
Sharyland Pioneer 54 
Marble Falls 47
Pioneer scores winning TD with 12 seconds left on a fuck of an individual effort by a wide receiver.

No offense, but needing a last second TD to beat Marble Falls is kinda embarrassing.

Losing to MF at home in the first round is even worse.

12 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Steele wins on RR fumble. 

I was there. Exciting game. Evenly matched teams. RR wins if their star RB Israel Morgan “Izzy” doesn’t fumble 3X including the game clincher in OT as well as giving up a 70-yd scoop and score in the 1st  half.

RR fans were all ragey. Also, too many damn cowbells.

56 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Demographics isn’t the issue.  There are plenty of neighborhoods and communities around SA that can field the athletes you need.

It wasn’t too long ago that the SA area could lay claim to having the best football in the state. The old 26-5A of the 1990s was a BEAST including a year when it produced both state champions (1995 SA Roosevelt and Converse Judson). 

I do think the demographics comment is an interesting one in regards to Hispanic communities vs rural/suburban White & African American communities. San Antonio has a rich football legacy, (I hail from the Alamo City) but I think the demographics idea is possibly valid.

However, I agree that coaching is the key. Since we've been a part of the Westlake community beginning in 2002, the community support was always there but and the team had good, if not great years. Now, Todd Dodge has taken the program to a level we've never seen before, where good players are put into a coaching system that is second to none. Believe it or not, last night's 62-3 score wasn't as close as the score indicated. I do think Westlake would also have won state in 2018 if we hadn't lost our QB, RB & center in the playoffs. Now SA Cibolo is a strong program and it's football, and they can beat us in two weeks, but don't count on it. 

Texas could be great again if we had the right coach. Fuck you, Herman. 

Sorry for the ramblings. 

54 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The tipping point in TXHSFB was the “awakening” of DFW (and lesser extent, Houston) wealthy communities.  They started pouring resources into the sport like Odessa Permian used to (coaches, facilities, camps, nutrition, etc).  It wasn’t ever magic, they just used to care more than everyone else. 

True. Finally starting to see the RGV catch up in the facilities & camps department. The Cavazos sports institute & Jorge Mata doing his speed training & his 7on7 travel team have been huge. Also seeing more kids travel to camps around the state and country. It’s slowly paying off in non-football sports for sure. Boys soccer has always been a force, but McHi made the state tourney in girls soccer a couple years ago, and South bounced Lake Travis from the girls region 4 tourney last year. Both would’ve been unimaginable even a decade ago.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

I do think the demographics comment is an interesting one in regards to Hispanic communities vs rural/suburban White & African American communities. San Antonio has a rich football legacy, (I hail from the Alamo City) but I think the demographics idea is possibly valid.

However, I agree that coaching is the key. Since we've been a part of the Westlake community beginning in 2002, the community support was always there but and the team had good, if not great years. Now, Todd Dodge has taken the program to a level we've never seen before, where good players are put into a coaching system that is second to none. Believe it or not, last night's 62-3 score wasn't as close as the score indicated. I do think Westlake would also have won state in 2018 if we hadn't lost our QB, RB & center in the playoffs. Now SA Cibolo is a strong program and it's football, and they can beat us in two weeks, but don't count on it. 

Texas could be great again if we had the right coach. Fuck you, Herman. 

Sorry for the ramblings. 

Many of newbies moving into the San Antonio area are coming from out of state where football is secondary and lack family bonds in the area.   Westlake and LT to some extent have been able to bring back former greats to have their kids play in the same programs they played in.   Case in point in SA is Alamo Heights.  They won State in 2006 and had some good playoff runs there after for a few seasons.  But the last five or so they’ve been whipped a game or two into the playoffs or haven’t made them at all.   

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Beau Vine said:
12 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

North Shore is 4505.  It is NOT part of HISD.  They also have another 5A school in Galena Park ISD.  That does make it a bit different from Allen in that respect.

TWHS is 4330

Alief Elsik has 4277 and isn't a factor.

Hell Pasadena Dobie has 4209 and never does jack-shit.

16 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Many of newbies moving into the San Antonio area are coming from out of state where football is secondary and lack family bonds in the area.   Westlake and LT to some extent have been able to bring back former greats to have their kids play in the same programs they played in.   Case in point in SA is Alamo Heights.  They won State in 2006 and had some good playoff runs there after for a few seasons.  But the last five or so they’ve been whipped a game or two into the playoffs or haven’t made them at all.   

It's amazing that our Chaps are even able to compete w/ LT at this point. They have 3,000 more student in the district, they have tons of housing space to grow and so many former athletes have moved there. Two years ago, I attended their Spring game for a client event and I was horrified to see a plethora of of those big dad-types that you just know are former athletes. However, our MILF's are still hotter and more sophisticated-looking, so there's that.    

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, slorch said:

North Shore is 4505.  It is NOT part of HISD.  They also have another 5A school in Galena Park ISD.  That does make it a bit different from Allen in that respect.

TWHS is 4330

Alief Elsik has 4277 and isn't a factor.

Hell Pasadena Dobie has 4209 and never does jack-shit.

As I originally said it comes down to coaching and @Helobious other point. The amount of feeder junior highs. The fewer you have the easier it is to manage what you need. The great schools are all running the same offenses and defenses from varsity down to 7th grade. Even into the peewee leagues for the area.

Having an affluent neighborhood also allows for better things such as indoor training/practice, better weight rooms better strength and conditioning etc.  It also allows your athletes to go to camps to improve. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Helobious said:

Not familiar with the team really but the google said they went 7-2, doesn’t seem terrible at all. Did a double take when I saw they beat Navarro 62-0. Very different Navarro it turns out. 

This is the first time Marble Falls has won more than 6 games since 1998.  And they had Todd Dodge coaching them for a couple of those years.  And, yeah, I got trolled by an Austin Navarro score earlier this season.

It's amazing that our Chaps are even able to compete w/ LT at this point. They have 3,000 more student in the district, they have tons of housing space to grow and so many former athletes have moved there. Two years ago, I attended their Spring game for a client event and I was horrified to see a plethora of of those big dad-types that you just know are former athletes. However, our MILF's are still hotter and more sophisticated-looking, so there's that.    

Lol! We played Lake Travis in the baseball playoffs a few years back and their women are one of a kind. They cussed at the Umps more than the Dads. And then after we beat them in game three, our announcer decided to play Hit the Road Jack on the PA system and they started flipping him off and calling him names. It was enjoyable watching them get their panties in a wad.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Lol! We played Lake Travis in the baseball playoffs a few years back and their women are one of a kind. They cussed at the Umps more than the Dads. And then after we beat them in game three, our announcer decided to play Hit the Road Jack on the PA system and they started flipping him off and calling him names. It was enjoyable watching them get their panties in a wad.

I remember that game (and am friends w families w players on that team, lol) As I recall, LT may have been ranked  #1 in the nation, so it was quite the upset. It's pretty low-class of your announcer to play that, btw, but very funny, for sure. With both of my daughters having played sports at Westlake, we have surely seen it all from fans from ALL teams, including ours! 

We handled your Smithson Valley football team pretty good last night. They had a "OMG, what is going on here," look in the first quarter. 

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

wat???

LT enrollment: 3401

Westlake: 2833

If i missed the sarcasm font, my apologies.

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

wat???

LT enrollment: 3401

Westlake: 2833

If i missed the sarcasm font, my apologies.

I love that you highlighted the very phrase that you failed to comprehend. If you go back and read it again carefully. It states in the districts, not the schools. Next time I'll use smaller words.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

I love that you highlighted the very phrase that you failed to comprehend. If you go back and read it again carefully. It states in the districts, not the schools. Next time I'll use smaller words.

Fuck off...

That is unless your elementary kids are eligible for UIL athletics. 

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

I think one of the things about the smaller, but fairly ultra-affluent communities is that there isn't a lot of turnover in students.  Once a family moves into Eanes, or HP, or Southlake (probably to a lesser extent), they are there to stay and the kids that make up the varsity football team have played together for years, picking up elements of the system.

Other schools have more turnover from apartments and lower-income sections, but make up for it by a larger student population (and "recruiting").

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think one of the things about the smaller, but fairly ultra-affluent communities is that there isn't a lot of turnover in students.  Once a family moves into Eanes, or HP, or Southlake (probably to a lesser extent), they are there to stay and the kids that make up the varsity football team have played together for years, picking up elements of the system.

Other schools have more turnover from apartments and lower-income sections, but make up for it by a larger student population (and "recruiting").

I think this is a brilliant insight. When Westlake won state last year, Coach Dodge talked over and over about how these kids stated their cycle in his program in 7th grade, not 9th grade. Continuity of systems and players is a greatly underestimated factor.   

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

I think this is a brilliant insight. When Westlake won state last year, Coach Dodge talked over and over about how these kids stated their cycle in his program in 7th grade, not 9th grade. Continuity of systems and players is a greatly underestimated factor.   

It's really the only explanation for HP's success.  It draws from about 5 sq. miles and a fairly fixed student population (that has increased a tad because the property tax situation is that childless people gtfo now).

Also a microcosm of the difference coaching makes.

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Happened for Argyle this year. I know a couple people who had seniors on the team and they have basically played together since pee wee. 

Just now, Zepol87 said:

Happened for Argyle this year. I know a couple people who had seniors on the team and they have basically played together since pee wee. 

Yep Argyle, Southlake and Aledo all start the kids early in the system. I live in Trophy Club and our kids grow up playing Southlake and Argyle in youth sports and its crazy how they are always leaps and bounds better even at a young age. One big thing many parents do in Southlake is hold back the boys a grade. 

• Hook 'Em 1