2020 Texas HS football

LTtxfan

Good to see the Tongans knock out Allen, they’d always run into that wall the past few years. 

Someone learn me on Liberty Hill, namely how good their defense is. That slot T will buttfuck the Pioneer defense and there’s no prayer that they can stop it. However if a shootout breaks out the dbacks have a shot.

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Spring led a sleepwalking Desoto 14-0 at half, but then Shemar Turner and Byron Murphy got the pass rush going and the offense exploded for 200+ yards and 3 TDs in the 3rd quarter. It's now 27-14 with under 3 to play. The Eagles will get a rematch with Duncanville.

Perhaps nitpicking, but DeSoto and Duncanville cancelled their district game.  This will be their first meeting of the season.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Someone learn me on Liberty Hill, namely how good their defense is. That slot T will buttfuck the Pioneer defense and there’s no prayer that they can stop it. However if a shootout breaks out the dbacks have a shot.

6 shutouts including 2 in the playoffs. Rouse had the best day against them today.

29 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Good to see the Tongans knock out Allen, they’d always run into that wall the past few years. 

Slot T just like the Wing T is designed to be a ball control offense.  

11 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

DFW boys put a hurt on the state this weekend. 

Saw Cedar Hill beat Tomball Memorial 38-21 in Waco. Tomball had a good team (WR Manjack going to USC) but Cedar Hill was on a different level. That’s a college team. Their QB Salter (going to Vols) was a man among boys out there. Team full of D1 prospects. Oline looked like North Shore. Massive and fast.

Edited by Scholz
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

How about Central Texas? We are seriously underrated. Check out who's still playing: 

6A

• Westlake
  • Hays
  • Vandegrift

5A

• Cedar Park

4A

• Liberty Hill

Going 3 rounds deep in their regions vs 3 rounds deep in region 4 is a slightly more impressive achievement. Those 3 high schools are all within about 10 miles of each other as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

By my count, five of these games are district rematches…

Class 6A Division I

Region I

Euless Trinity (10-1) vs. Southlake Carroll (10-1), 11 a.m. Saturday at Globe Life Park

Trinity pulled the upset everyone wanted to see last weekend as Ollie Gordon ran for over 450 yards on Allen.  SLC outlasted Martin.  Both teams took their only loss in game 2 of the season.  This looks like a helluva game between DFW royalty.  I’ll take the Dragons simply because Trinity’s D has given up 45 and 49 points the last two weeks. 

Region II

Duncanville (9-1) vs. DeSoto (9-1), 7:30 Saturday at Arlington’s Globe Life Park

This is a district “rematch” of a game that didn’t happen due to Covid.   The Panthers’ only loss was to IMG, and they just demolished a very good Westfield team last week.  They might be better than last season.  DeSoto didn’t show up until the second half against Spring last week, but they were dominant once they did.  I don’t think you could get a game with more top defensive recruits than this one.  I think Duncanville wins this by double digits, though.

Region III

Galena Park North Shore (13-0) vs. Fort Bend Ridge Point (8-2), 2 p.m. Friday at Galena Park’s Galena Park ISD Stadium

This might be North Shore’s best team of the past three years, just ridiculous speed everywhere.  Shad Banks doesn’t look like a receiver, but he’s wicked strong and maybe the fastest guy on the field, which makes him absolute hell on bubble screens.  I really don’t even know much of anything about Ridge Point except that this is their last game of the season.  Oh, and Bert Emmanuel’s kid is their QB.

Region IV

Cibolo Steele (9-3) vs. Austin Westlake (11-0), 2:00 Saturday at Round Rock’s Reeves Stadium

Westlake’s D is so good that the biggest story from last week’s 71-14 win was that they gave up 14.  Steele is not the Steele of old.  This will also not be close.

Class 6A Division II

Region I

Denton Guyer (10-2) vs. Prosper (8-3), 1 p.m. Saturday at McKinney ISD Stadium

Another district rematch as the 2nd and tied-for-3rd place teams from Allen’s district meet again.  Guyer won the first game 24-23 on a last-second TD.  I watched Prosper’s win against Eaton last week, and they’re just a solid team with no big strengths or weaknesses.  With a new coach and lots of injuries, Guyer isn’t dominant like recent Guyer teams.  This one is a tossup that will probably be decided by how well Stowers plays. 

Region II

Cedar Hill (10-1) vs. Rockwall-Heath (10-2), 3:15 p.m. Saturday at Globe Life Park

Heath had an incredibly impressive win with their rout over Bridgeland last week, but Cedar Hill is not Bridgeland.  I’ve already said that I think Salter is the best 2021 QB in the state, and the Longhorns’ defense will have too much speed for Heath. 

Region III

Katy (11-1) vs. Clear Falls (8-3), 1 p.m. Saturday at Legacy Stadium

This will be a complete ass-kicking.  CF got their winning margin last week against Taylor when a huge gust of wind literally blew back a Taylor PAT kick that landed short. 

Region IV

Austin Vandegrift (10-2) vs. Buda Hays Consolidated (9-3), 2 p.m. Saturday at Buda’s Shelton Stadium

Vandegrift showed a really stout defense against Brennan last week and I think that will be enough to shut down Hays’ 1-dimensional shotgun-Slot T offense.

Class 5A Division I

Region I

Red Oak (9-2) vs. Mansfield Summit (7-4), 11 a.m. Friday at Globe Life Park

District rematch between 2nd and 4th-place teams.  Summit upset district champ Heritage two weeks ago by 3 and then won last week by a FG again.  Red Oak won the regular season game 37-16, so expect them to do it again, maybe by a tighter margin.  Red Oak rotates two QBs; one is Chris Parsons, who started as a freshman for Duncanville in the state championship game last year after JQJ got hurt. 

Region II

Denton Ryan (12-0) vs. Highland Park (11-0), 3:15 p.m. Friday at Arlington’s Globe Life Park

These two met in this game every year from 2016-18, with HP winning all three.  Ryan, however, probably has the most talented team in state at any level.  Their D has big playmakers at all three levels, and that will be the difference in this one. 

Region III

Manvel (9-1) vs. Cedar Park (12-0), 2:30 p.m. Friday at Bryan’s Green Stadium

Great matchup here.  Manvel’s only loss was to North Shore, and they looked great last week, routing Hightower 31-7.  CP’s D might be the key here, as they’ve allowed only 163 points all season. 

Region IV

Corpus Christi Flour Bluff (11-1) vs. Corpus Christi Veterans Memorial (12-0), 2:00 Saturday at Corpus Christi’s Buc Stadium

District rematch between two teams only Nueces River Rat could love.  VM won the first game 34-17 and FB really looked pretty shitty at times against Victoria Whatever, so expect something similar.  Vets is 45-7 in the last 4 years and is trying to become the first CCISD team in 57 years to win a regional title.

Class 5A Division II

Region I

Wichita Falls Rider (10-2) vs. Lubbock Cooper (12-1), 4 p.m. Friday at Amarillo’s Dick Bivins Stadium

Maybe my favorite matchup of the weekend, district mates who will be playing for the 6th time in 3 years.  Cooper has won 4 of the 5, including 3 in a row.  Coop rallied from 24-7 to win this season’s first game 25-24.  Both teams have excellent defenses that help opponents under 200 yards last week, but Roho has a QB who is committed to UVa, and I’ll bet on him to make the difference.

Region II

Aledo (10-1) vs. Lovejoy (13-0), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Globe Life Park

I mentioned a couple of days ago that Aledo is very beatable this year, but Lovejoy is not the team to do it.  Lovejoy is averaging over 50 ppg, but has allowed 101 points in three playoff wins, including 50 last week.  They’ll score against Aledo, but the Bearcats will score more, like a 45-35ish win for Aledo. 

Region III

Crosby (10-3) vs. Fort Bend Marshall (12-0), 1 p.m. Friday at Humble’s Turner Stadium

Crosby has pulled huge upsets two weeks in a row, over Texarkana and Huntsville.  Their QB is one of the most fun players I’ve seen this season.  Unfortunately, he got hurt at the end of the game last week, and Marshall is just a great football team; they destroyed a very good Nederland team last week 49-0.  This is Marshall’s fifth straight region final, as they have replaced Malik Hornsby with no problem.  I would be pleasantly surprised if Crosby keeps this close. 

Region IV

Liberty Hill (11-0) vs Mission Pioneer, 5:00 Saturday at San Antonio’s Heroes Stadium

Points will be scored.  Helobius savior Eddie Lee Marburger had nearly 700 yards of total offense last week against East View, but LH has a much better D than that.  Most JVs do, too.  The Diamondbacks are just the fourth team from the RGV in the last 10 years to reach the fourth round of the playoffs.  The Panthers will Slot-T the Pioneer D into pulp and win 60-something to 40-something.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

I think the CC Vets/ Bluff game will be much closer than the last one during the regular season..   Only because Vets might come in a tad more overconfident because of their first meeting and they've had an easy path so far in the playoffs compared to the Bluff.   Still think Vets will win, but maybe a very tight game for most of the 48 minutes.  

12 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I might go to Pioneer-LH if the weather is over 60. Hoping for some Marburger magic. 

Picking against HP in the playoffs recently is like picking against the Patriots from 2001-2018. It doesn’t matter who they’re playing, no idea why anyone would ever do it. 

Ryan beat HP last year....did take them 4 tries to get over that hump though.  Think this is actually a round earlier this year, all the previous meetings have been state semis.

• Hook 'Em 1

Ryan beat HP last year....did take them 4 tries to get over that hump though.  Think this is actually a round earlier this year, all the previous meetings have been state semis.

Lone Star knocked out HP last season. You're right that the previous meetings were SF -- Ryan was region 1.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Region III

Galena Park North Shore (13-0) vs. Fort Bend Ridge Point (8-2), 2 p.m. Friday at Galena Park’s Galena Park ISD Stadium

This might be North Shore’s best team of the past three years, just ridiculous speed everywhere.  Shad Banks doesn’t look like a receiver, but he’s wicked strong and maybe the fastest guy on the field, which makes him absolute hell on bubble screens.  I really don’t even know much of anything about Ridge Point except that this is their last game of the season.  Oh, and Bert Emmanuel’s kid is their QB.

I can fill in the blank on this years Ridge Point team (kids on team).

They've got 5 former NFL player kids on the team including Longhorns own - Ahmard Hall (Kids a stub LB who torn ACL in early scrimmage).  They have outstanding WR group led by Bucky Richardson's kid who is an Oklahoma State recruit I expect to annoy the crap out of Texas for the next 4 years.  RB is a North Texas commit.  Starting tackles are - 6'8" 315lbs and 6'5" 330lbs. All in all they have 7 DI commits/players on their starting offense.

Defense has some players but many are young.

Ridge Point changed Head coach and majority of position coaches going into this year as former head coach left. Without an offseason its taken most of the season to get on the same page with the new coaches and systems.

That said, only chance Ridge Point has is to play near perfect on offense and find a way to keep Davis under a million yards passing and/or running.

RP played NS last year in a scrimmage so they are familiar with each other. It would be a monumental upset to beat NS this year but its 2020 and anything is possible.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1