2020 Texas HS football

LTtxfan

Hays closed out Vandegrift 38-10.  

CC Vets stomped Flour Bluff 49-14.  They'll play Cedar Park in San Antonio next week.  

Westlake 34-0 over Steele.   Steele is a lot more pale than they used to be several years ago.   The Chaps will play North Shore in Katy next week.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Ravishing Rick said:

Dumb question, but I’ve been following HS football for a long time but have never heard of Hays. Where are they from?

Anysuburb USA, also known as Buda, between San Marcos & Austin on I-35. First time they’ve gone this far in football I believe. Used to be a smaller school but has grown.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Anysuburb USA, also known as Buda, between San Marcos & Austin on I-35. First time they’ve gone this far in football I believe. Used to be a smaller school but has grown.

They’ve been fluctuating between 5A and 6A as more Hays CiSD schools open.  They were a 5A-D1 state finalist in 1996.

4 minutes ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

They’ve been fluctuating between 5A and 6A as more Hays CiSD schools open.  They were a 5A-D1 state finalist in 1996.

Damn, the more you know I guess. I just know that place & Kyle are two of the most non-descript towns to ever exist. 

Couldn’t make it to Heroes to watch the Pioneer game, but it sounds like they’ve got their work cut out for them. Down 35-21 to Liberty Hill in the 2nd.

31 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Has Westlake played anyone good this year? Seems like Hays and them haven't really played good teams other than each other. Look forward to the next games.

We haven't played the top competition this season, as the Southlake game got cancelled and LT also cancelled their game with us. We did beat Hays 59-6 and they're playing in the 6A D2 state semifinal, so I guess they turned out pretty good. 

Not sure we can beat North Shore. I sure hope North Shore makes the same mistake Allen, SLC (twice) and Katy did against Westlake under Todd Dodge and thinks there's no way we can beat them.

Central Texas doing really well right now with 4 teams (Westlake, Hays,  Cedar Park & Liberty Hill) in the 6A & 5A semifinals.

57 minutes ago, Balcones said:

I’m not sure NS scores 21. WL defense is the real deal. That def coord is a wizard.

NS probably won’t be able to pass against Westlake much. It’ll come down to the run game, NS has an o-line like nothing Westlake has faced this year. I could see NS winning 28-14 or maybe 28-21. LT (or their fans at least) came in very cocky against NS in the semis two years ago and got absolutely fuckstomped. More humble last year and a little closer game. NS is top dawg in the state until proven otherwise.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/30/2020 at 3:47 PM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I can fill in the blank on this years Ridge Point team (kids on team).

They've got 5 former NFL player kids on the team including Longhorns own - Ahmard Hall (Kids a stub LB who torn ACL in early scrimmage).  They have outstanding WR group led by Bucky Richardson's kid who is an Oklahoma State recruit I expect to annoy the crap out of Texas for the next 4 years.  RB is a North Texas commit.  Starting tackles are - 6'8" 315lbs and 6'5" 330lbs. All in all they have 7 DI commits/players on their starting offense.

Defense has some players but many are young.

Ridge Point changed Head coach and majority of position coaches going into this year as former head coach left. Without an offseason its taken most of the season to get on the same page with the new coaches and systems.

That said, only chance Ridge Point has is to play near perfect on offense and find a way to keep Davis under a million yards passing and/or running.

RP played NS last year in a scrimmage so they are familiar with each other. It would be a monumental upset to beat NS this year but its 2020 and anything is possible.

So there's Richardson,, Emmanuel, Hall, and Kalu...Who is the other nfl player's son? I see a Jolly on the roster...is it Johnny's kid? 

I remember Sniffin saying he wanted to be in Belton or wherever he ended up going but weird that he'd leave with such a loaded roster.

3 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

So there's Richardson,, Emmanuel, Hall, and Kalu...Who is the other nfl player's son? I see a Jolly on the roster...is it Johnny's kid? 

I remember Sniffin saying he wanted to be in Belton or wherever he ended up going but weird that he'd leave with such a loaded roster.

I thought the defensive soph Davis was but think I could be wrong there, although he is a stud.

For Sniffin I think the timing was off by a year. His youngest was a Senior this year and I know didn't want to leave. Think it came down to if he didn't go this year wouldn't be available. 

RP really didn't have a QB that defenses took seriously though. He played at much higher level once playoffs started but up until then he really struggled.

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Helobious said:

NS probably won’t be able to pass against Westlake much. It’ll come down to the run game, NS has an o-line like nothing Westlake has faced this year. I could see NS winning 28-14 or maybe 28-21. LT (or their fans at least) came in very cocky against NS in the semis two years ago and got absolutely fuckstomped. More humble last year and a little closer game. NS is top dawg in the state until proven otherwise.

NS's offensive is built around the run game this year with passing to keep defense honest when you load the box (as you have to).  Banks is good for 1-2 50+ yard scores a game in receiving.

NSs defense seems better this year too. Their defensive front is really strong. Not many seniors in their starters though.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Helobious said:

Fair enough. I'm not picking us to win, but I don't think NS curb-stomps us, either. North Shore has everything in their favor - location, school-size (4,880ish to 2,780ish) extremely talented players and great coaching. Aww, heck, maybe they  will curb-stomp us! 

I think he just meant given the competition level. NS has blown out 5 teams this year (Manvel, Atascocita, Dawson, Tompkins, Ridge Point) that would crush anyone Westlake has played. CE King & Shadow Creek were no slouches either. I think it’ll be a close game but if you think Westlake will easily shut down NS just like everyone else you’re mistaken.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

I think he just meant given the competition level. NS has blown out 5 teams this year (Manvel, Atascocita, Dawson, Tompkins, Ridge Point) that would crush anyone Westlake has played. CE King & Shadow Creek were no slouches either. I think it’ll be a close game but if you think Westlake will easily shut down NS just like everyone else you’re mistaken.

Please tell me where I even hinted at that.

I was merely pointing out that saying Westlake's defensive stats are "meaningless" seems pretty dumb.  It's not like they have been playing a bunch of 4A teams and you don't see teams put up numbers like those very often in 6A, regardless of the competition. 

I meant “you” as in the Chap collective. I’m from Texas but have never been a big y’all guy. I’ll predict a 28-21 NS win. A big matchup like this, expect a sloppy mistake filled first quarter with Westlake up 7-0 at the end of it before everyone calms down. 

5 hours ago, Helobious said:

I meant “you” as in the Chap collective. I’m from Texas but have never been a big y’all guy. I’ll predict a 28-21 NS win. A big matchup like this, expect a sloppy mistake filled first quarter with Westlake up 7-0 at the end of it before everyone calms down. 

North Shore has been jumping out on everyone though. If Westlake can keep it 7-0 after 1 then it will be close as you predict but if they get out to a ridiculous lead early then watch out.

• Hook 'Em 1