2020 Texas HS football

LTtxfan

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Ughhhhh.....Would love nothing more than a deep run by HHS, but with only five games played this is an unprepared team.  Lots of heart from what I’ve seen online, I think they should be top tier (in the Valley) next year. 

Yeah we usually aren’t lacking in the ganas department, and I agree that they should be even better next year. Really mostly just hoping for a full season of sports in general. 

46 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Yeah we usually aren’t lacking in the ganas department, and I agree that they should be even better next year. Really mostly just hoping for a full season of sports in general. 

Valley teams like Harlingen who usually have good talent need to adopt more run based offense and move all their speed to defense.  Ball control can be the great equalizer against speed if you have the right people at the positions need to win or at least keep a game close.

They will never beat the likes of LT, Westlake, etc trying to out do them with the same offensive schemes they run which primarly require your top speedsters on offense.  In 4A ball or lower you might be able to get by with this because you actually have some players going both ways so it's a wash.  Can't do this in 5A (in most cases) and especially in 6A where schools like the LT's, Judson's and Westlakes often have a two deep who could start just about anywhere.  

Also I don't know how many times I've seen a valley team who looks very solid up to the point they play a Coastal Bend, SA or Austin team try to get cute with their existing playbook and start throwing the kitchen sink early instead of doing what got them to the dance in the first place.  

Yeah the RGV usually lags behind the northern teams in coaching and size/team speed. In football if the other team is just bigger & stronger than you, you really need A++ coaching to overcome that, which we don’t currently have. I know at Harlingen Gomez’s defensive philosophy is hyper-aggression and blitzing all the time. HS QBs usually fold under pressure, and the idea is to get to the QB before he gets a pass off & exploits the mismatches in the secondary. Usually works pretty good until you play a well above average QB, which by definition doesn’t happen super often. 

Starting to worry if we talk about this too much we’ll get segregated into a Valley Football sub forum.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Yeah the RGV usually lags behind the northern teams in coaching and size/team speed. In football if the other team is just bigger & stronger than you, you really need A++ coaching to overcome that, which we don’t currently have. I know at Harlingen Gomez’s defensive philosophy is hyper-aggression and blitzing all the time. HS QBs usually fold under pressure, and the idea is to get to the QB before he gets a pass off & exploits the mismatches in the secondary. Usually works pretty good until you play a well above average QB, which by definition doesn’t happen super often. 

Starting to worry if we talk about this too much we’ll get segregated into a Valley Football sub forum.

Meh...  Valley fans are number one hands down for their passion for high school football in Texas..   Keep talking!

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Valley teams like Harlingen who usually have good talent need to adopt more run based offense and move all their speed to defense.  Ball control can be the great equalizer against speed if you have the right people at the positions need to win or at least keep a game close.

They will never beat the likes of LT, Westlake, etc trying to out do them with the same offensive schemes they run which primarly require your top speedsters on offense.  In 4A ball or lower you might be able to get by with this because you actually have some players going both ways so it's a wash.  Can't do this in 5A (in most cases) and especially in 6A where schools like the LT's, Judson's and Westlakes often have a two deep who could start just about anywhere.  

Also I don't know how many times I've seen a valley team who looks very solid up to the point they play a Coastal Bend, SA or Austin team try to get cute with their existing playbook and start throwing the kitchen sink early instead of doing what got them to the dance in the first place.  

Harlingen is a bit different and actually does put a lot of its good athletes on defense.  I agree with you that shaking up the offense with something like a triple option attack could help us surprise someone.

That said, it’s “Jimmies and Joes, not Xs and Os.” Valley teams just don’t have the size and speed combo you have further north.  And I personally hope we hang on to Gomez forever, he’s not a “genius” football mind, but he will stay at HHS as long as we want him to, and he will always motivate the kids to play, and he will make sure they play aggressive defense.  We will win district championships and every so often make a magical run like we did in 2011.

In actual RGV football news, Edinburg ISD removed the Bobcats from the playoffs after that kid clobbered the ref in a game.  Absolutely inexcusable conduct. Not sure how I feel about it costing his team a playoff spot.  But the kid himself should be facing felony charges.

Also, the below is crap reporting and writing.  The kid didn’t “instigate” anything, he blindsided a 60 year old man at full speed and bowled him over.

“an ugly on-field incident that saw the team’s star defensive player instigate a physical confrontation with a referee.“

https://t.co/GvFNtWv2YS

Edited by 956 Worldwide

1 hour ago, slorch said:

They are likely to take the next 2 rounds. They is stout...

1 hour ago, lemonandaturd said:

They have a cousin of Jonathan Brooks on the team.  We offered.  He is a stud.  

2 more means state champs

There are 2 Brooks brothers on Shiner, I figured as close as the towns were they had to be related somehow

What a fun night!

4AD1:  Canyon upset Springtown 17-14. Makes me happy to see actual west Texas teams win region 1.  Lindale is going to the state semis for the first time ever.  Jenkins had 257 yards and 7 TDs as they beat Carthage 56-42.  

Game of the night in 4AD2R1, where Graham got out to a 20-7 lead, only to see Celina rally to 21-20.  Graham converted a 4th-and-24 with 30 seconds to go in the game, then kicked a 37-yard FG to win. They'll play Gilmer, who handled Caddo Mills 38-14, in the semis. Carthage scored on their first offensive play and beat China Spring 48-7.  Next week, they'll snotfuck Wimberley, who won region 4 for the 5th time in 11 years by toying with Navarro again 35-14.

Colt's HS, Jim Ned, easily handled Pilot Point 45-28.  Art Briles and his 4th-place Mount Vernon team pulled the upset of the night by rallying from 11 down and getting a TD with 1:27 left to shock Malakoff, 37-34.  Also in 3AD1, Hallettsville survived Columbus 23-21.  Brooks had a TD on a punt return for the go-ahead TD.  Llano trailed at half, but got a last-minute TD to beat Lago Vista 31-25.

In 3AD2...Canadian beat Childress 45-14.  They'll play Gunter in the semis for the 5th straight year.  Waskom got a 37-yard FG in the final seconds to beat Elysian Fields 44-41.  Franklin outclassed district rival Buffalo 56-33.

Routs in 2AD1... Post slaughtered Cisco 33-0. Crawford did the same to Bosqueville 48-0.  Timpson 55-14 over Beckville.  And Shiner beat Refugio 24-13.

Big upset in 2AD2 as Fall City won R4 by beating Christoval 27-18.  Mart won of course 54-23.  And Wellington routed McCamey 46-26.  Windthorst won last night.

6A&5A

Smithson Valley 35 Judson 32!

Atascocita 47 West Brook 46

Ryan 35 Lone Star 21

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

That said, it’s “Jimmies and Joes, not Xs and Os.” Valley teams just don’t have the size and speed combo you have further north.  And I personally hope we hang on to Gomez forever, he’s not a “genius” football mind, but he will stay at HHS as long as we want him to, and he will always motivate the kids to play, and he will make sure they play aggressive defense.  We will win district championships and every so often make a magical run like we did in 2011.

While I usually hate the offense (Bubba is still the coordinator but it seems like his little bro is being groomed to take over) I like Gomez overall too. Really gets the most out of those kids and gets them to buy into the program, and I like how much emphasis he places on character & academics. I think he said he wants to coach another 7 years or so, which sounds fine to me. I saw South fired Ricci today, talk about an underwhelming coach. His current group of juniors had been winners since TYFA & he did nothing with them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

And Judson ISD opened up Veterans Memorial not too long ago as well which brings us four schools with the same name south of SA.  I think a few have actually played each other either in non district of the playoffs which makes commentary  and play by play fun. They really thought a few years back they would be able to keep a single high school open, but the numbers caught up to them.  Will this ever happen to Allen?   I know some folks up there who swear they will never open up a second high school.    I remind them down here many in the Judson ISD said the same thing.
San Antonio Vets (Judson ISD)
Corpus Christi Vets   ( CCISD) 
Mission Vets 
Brownsville Vets 
But for awhile Judson was able to continue their way despite the loss of student population.   I guess it's starting to show up now?

My step son plays for SA Vets Patriots. Yes, two years ago we played Missions Vets Patriots in playoffs. The announcers had no real idea what to do other than say San Antonio or Mission. Last year we played Corpus Vet Eagles in playoffs. Had first and goal from the 8 to win the game and couldn’t connect on anything for four straight plays. Heartbreaking.

Anyways. Wagner has more kids enrolled than us and just moved up to 6A. They were right behind judson on enrollment. I think our enrollment is 1500 and change. This is just our third year of varsity ball. Just made the playoffs tonight for third straight year.
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

It has to be at least 25 years since Seguin has won a district title, right?

I believe they went undefeated in 2006, and I vividly remember them getting majorly upset by Reagan in the first round in the Alamodome. It was the Rattlers first playoff win ever. We lived in SA at the time and two of my older cousins went to Reagan. We saw almost all of their games that year and the following one. Fun times.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, Helobious said:

I actually like hearing it and reading about it.  Great perspectives.

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

What a fun night!

4AD1:  Canyon upset Springtown 17-14. Makes me happy to see actual west Texas teams win region 1.  Lindale is going to the state semis for the first time ever.  Jenkins had 257 yards and 7 TDs as they beat Carthage 56-42.  

In 3AD2...Canadian beat Childress 45-14.  They'll play Gunter in the semis for the 5th straight year.  Waskom got a 37-yard FG in the final seconds to beat Elysian Fields 44-41.  Franklin outclassed district rival Buffalo 56-33.

Routs in 2AD1... Post slaughtered Cisco 33-0. Crawford did the same to Bosqueville 48-0.  Timpson 55-14 over Beckville.  And Shiner beat Refugio 24-13.

Big upset in 2AD2 as Fall City won R4 by beating Christoval 27-18.  Mart won of course 54-23.  And Wellington routed McCamey 46-26.  Windthorst won last night.

Tradition and playoff experience matter. Falls City has plenty of it.  The Fighting Jack Pardees don't really.  I didn't see that game as a "big upset."  The Beavers are no strangers to deep runs in the playoffs.  Now, that being said, if they beat Mart, who has even more of the same; then I'd consider THAT win a big upset.

I'm probably splitting hairs, but the descriptor made me read it twice.  Falls City is always hanging around...I didn't think it was an upset.

On 11/30/2020 at 8:57 AM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Katy's DI or DII playoff fate will be determined this Friday by a game of mediocrity - Seven Lakes (2-5) vs Cinco Ranch (1-6)

If Seven Lakes wins, Katy goes DII, Cinco wins, Katy's DI

Seven Lakes won so Katy will indeed be playing in DII for the playoffs, vs Fort Bend Elkins next week (and will likely beat them by 30+)

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

I believe they went undefeated in 2006, and I vividly remember them getting majorly upset by Reagan in the first round in the Alamodome. It was the Rattlers first playoff win ever. We lived in SA at the time and two of my older cousins went to Reagan. We saw almost all of their games that year and the following one. Fun times.

Yep, they were supposed to be a serious contender that year and flopped in bi-district.

21 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Seven Lakes won so Katy will indeed be playing in DII for the playoffs, vs Fort Bend Elkins next week (and will likely beat them by 30+)

Some different teams in DII this year that could make for an interesting playoff run.  Katy (Region 3), Shadow Creek (Region 3), Cedar Hill (Region 2), Bridgeland (Region 2).  I believe Westlake is DI this year, can somebody confirm?  

My very early predictions for 6A championship games:  

D1: North Shore vs. Duncanville (3rd year in a row).  I'd bet on NS to win.

D2: Cedar Hill vs. Katy (would be an amazing matchup).  I'd favor Cedar Hill.

Edited by Ravishing Rick

9 hours ago, Helobious said:

I'll be damned, I don't remember that all, but they lost game 1 to madison then didn't lose again till Reagan.  Then went 2-8 next year.

6 hours ago, slorch said:

Tradition and playoff experience matter. Falls City has plenty of it.  The Fighting Jack Pardees don't really.  I didn't see that game as a "big upset."  The Beavers are no strangers to deep runs in the playoffs.  Now, that being said, if they beat Mart, who has even more of the same; then I'd consider THAT win a big upset.

I'm probably splitting hairs, but the descriptor made me read it twice.  Falls City is always hanging around...I didn't think it was an upset.

Yeah, you're not wrong.  I noticed this morning that Post held Cisco to 48 total yards.  I would feel more confident picking them to get to Jerryworld if not for that playoff experience you're talking about -- Crawford has it.

12 hours ago, Ravishing Rick said:

I believe Westlake is DI this year, can somebody confirm?  

Yep. So much for 2 in a row. This years team is much more explosive than last years.

Talked to a player on Lampasas today. He felt the main reason the defense did so bad against Miller was he along with the majority of the starting defense plays on every special teams unit and all the kickoff coverage, running down the field for the xp's etc just wore them down. The coach never subs in second string, even when up by 50. He didn't play a down last year and played every down this year. 

53 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Jenkins had 257 yards and 7 TDs as they beat Carthage 56-42.  

I get Carthage and Kilgore confused.  They're 15 miles apart, they're both red, and they're both Bulldogs.  Sue me.  

Also, Argyle just clinically destroyed Paris 41-13.  So in 4AD1, we'll have Canyon-Argyle and Lindale-LBJ.

17 hours ago, slorch said:

My mom's side is from FC so I root for the Beavers every year.  They always go deep in the playoffs, but with the exception of 2010, usually run into a team that overpowers them.

1 hour ago, Assman said:

My mom's side is from FC so I root for the Beavers every year.  They always go deep in the playoffs, but with the exception of 2010, usually run into a team that overpowers them.

They made it to state one year that I went for the whole weekend, was it 2014?  Of course, they got buttfucked by Wellington IIRC, so your point stands.