2020 Texas HS football

LTtxfan

My best games list is top-heavy this week...
Desoto at Cedar Hill
Tascosa -- Amarillo
Cisco @ San Saba
Calallen @ PL Calhoun
Tompkins -- Katy tonight
Pleasant Grove @ Gilmer
Winnsboro @ Pottsboro
Pampa @ Dumas
Highland Park @ Longview
RGV SPecial for Helobius:  Sharyland @ Pioneer

CH leads 35-28, 4th
Tascosa 28-27
Cisco 48-6
Calallen 28-7
Tompkins 24-19
Gilmer 31-28 on a short FG on last play.
Pottsboro 22-21
Dumas 28-9
HP 18-13
Covid beat Sharyland
Steele 42-27
Wimberley 80-0

On 10/29/2020 at 2:34 PM, Helobious said:

Yeah I never saw them play that year but I know they were salty. Would’ve loved to have seen Mishak and y’all matchup with them. 

The 2020 version of this matchup ends a strong Panther victory in their opening contest. My Panthers vs your Cardinals next week!

Would've been a great matchup back in 2007... Very contrasting offenses. South was running a spread offense back then I believe while we were running the slot T. Would've been a fun one!

• Hook 'Em 1

Hamlin allowed 53 points in 8 games( 2 forfeits)

3 games with 6pts allowed. 3 shutouts. The combined record of the opponents who were shut out is 22-8.

That's pretty damned salty.

On 10/30/2020 at 11:05 PM, Billy Pilgrim said:

Westlake won again 59-6. Have now outscored the opposition 282-13 this season.

I was on their campus this morning.  Unbelievable facilities.  They have four on-campus turf fields.  I think Austin ISD has five turf fields in the entire district right now, including three shared stadiums.  Even the softball field looked great and they are building a huge robotics facility.  

Westlake has one or two pre-district possibly competitive games of their choice, plus Lake Travis, plus the playoffs.  Everyone else is cannon fodder.  They usually end up in the smaller school playoff which makes the bracket easier.  I don't see how anyone in the region other than LT will ever play a competitive game.

20 hours ago, Assman said:

Playoffs start this week for the lower classifications.  Any good first round match ups?

Not in 4A Region IV- DI  The Coastal Bend Schools should take care of the Valley schools and the Austin area Hill Country district should take care of the San Antionio area district, save maybe Boerne High.  Next week a potential Lampasas/CC Miller game might break the single game national record for points.    Seriously.  

41 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Cuero-Navarro

I'll post more later.

Hell, let's do it now, because I'm not getting any work done.

The D1/D2 splits at the lower levels create lots of complete mismatches in the first round of the playoffs and few good games, but there do seem to be more good ones this year, though fewer than you'd get in any random week.

Cuero-Navarro Thursday in Karnes City (WTF?)  Cuero upset Navarro earlier this season.  Navarro is probably the favorite in 4AD2R4

Tatum-Winnsboro in Longview

LaVernia-Canyon Lake in NB

Decatur-Pampa in Snyder

Abernathy-Childress in Floydada

Columbus-Rockdale in Conroe

Gladewater-FuckArt in Emory

Jasper-China Springs in Crockett

Canyon @ Hirschi

From DCTF on 6A playoffs:

Two 6A districts may be keeping a closer eye on the race for fourth place than they are the race for first. That’s because the fourth-place finishers in Districts 19-6A and 26-6A could deliver seismic shifts in the playoff landscapes.

Katy Tompkins’ 24-19 win over third-ranked Katy –snapping the Tigers 75-game district winning streak – aside, the drama may be between 7 Lakes and Cinco Ranch. If we assume that Katy (2-1 in district play; enrollment 3,466.5), Tompkins (4-0, enrollment 4,018) and Katy Taylor (4-1, enrollment 2,915) qualify for the playoffs, that leaves Seven Lakes (enrollment 3,767) and Cinco Ranch (enrollment 3,257) as the leaders for the final spot.

If Seven Lakes beats Cinco Ranch on Nov. 20 and go on to make the playoffs, the Spartans would push the Tigers into Division 2.

In District 26-6A, fourth-ranked Westlake (2,833), seventh-ranked Lake Travis (3,401) and Hays Consolidated (2,351) hold the top three playoffs spots. Austin Bowie (2,848) and Austin High (2,359) are battling for the fourth spot. By virtue of Austin High’s 57-56 win over Bowie earlier this season, Westlake, last year’s 6A, Division II champion is all but locked into Division I.

For Westlake to head back to the Division II bracket, Bowie would need to beat San Marcos and Hays in the Nov. 27 regular season finale AND get help, most logically in the form on a Del Valle upset of Austin High, also on Nov. 27.

If both Westlake and Katy end up in Division I, the Division II bracket becomes wide open. Expect teams like Converse Judson, Vandegrift and Vista Ridge to keep at least one eye trained on how District 26-6A shapes out. A playoff path without the likes of Katy and Westlake becomes much more manageable.

COVID cancels Calallen vs La Grulla.   I think it was more like LaGrulla was looking at a 65  point butt whooping an put up the white flag.  Matt Stepp of DCTF posted on Twitter something like 10 playoff games have been cancelled and most of them involve 1 vs 4 seeds with the 4th seed making the call.   

Wednesday, December 16

11:00 a.m. 1A Division II

2:00 p.m. 1A Division I

7:00 p.m. 2A Division II

Thursday, December 17

11:00 a.m. 2A Division I

3:00 p.m. 3A Division II

7:00 p.m. 3A Division I

Friday, December 18

11:00 a.m. 4A Division II

7:00 p.m. 4A Division I

———

Friday, January 15

11:00 a.m. 5A Division II

7:00 p.m. 5A Division I

Saturday, January 16

11:00 a.m. 6A Division II

7:00 p.m. 6A Division I

State Champ schedule.  Not sure what I'll do without FSSW this year.  Hopefully they stream it free online for everyone.

On 11/10/2020 at 3:49 PM, Beau Vine said:

Hell, let's do it now, because I'm not getting any work done.

The D1/D2 splits at the lower levels create lots of complete mismatches in the first round of the playoffs and few good games, but there do seem to be more good ones this year, though fewer than you'd get in any random week.

Cuero-Navarro Thursday in Karnes City (WTF?)  Cuero upset Navarro earlier this season.  Navarro is probably the favorite in 4AD2R4

Tatum-Winnsboro in Longview

LaVernia-Canyon Lake in NB

Decatur-Pampa in Snyder

Abernathy-Childress in Floydada

Columbus-Rockdale in Conroe

Gladewater-FuckArt in Emory

Jasper-China Springs in Crockett

Canyon @ Hirschi

Adding non-playoff games to this...

Cedar Hill @ Duncanville

Guyer @ Allen This will stream on WFAA's Youtube channel

Manvel @ Foster

Harlingen @ Weslaco for Helobius

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

This seems important:

He should post that tweet again, except worded even more confusingly. 

Harlingen wins round 2 playoff game, will play Lake Travis in round 3. Entire LT team gets covid the week before game with harlingen. Is he saying Harlingen wins round 3 by forfeit, and the cards advance to round 4?

10 minutes ago, Helobious said:

He should post that tweet again, except worded even more confusingly. 

Harlingen wins round 2 playoff game, will play Lake Travis in round 3. Entire LT team gets covid the week before game with harlingen. Is he saying Harlingen wins round 3 by forfeit, and the cards advance to round 4?

No, he's saying that when LT beats Harlingen 68-0 in round 3, and then everyone on LT gets Covid, Harlingen doesn't get to replace LT and play for the regional finals.  Whoever won on the other side of the bracket will be declared the winner and move on to the state semis.

If you remember the Dallas Carter debacle, the rule then was that if a team had to forfeit, the team they had beaten in the previous round would advance.  See also the SA Mac-Permian state championship game.  Not the same thing, but they're saying that's what they're going to avoid.

Edited by Beau Vine

48 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

No, he's saying that when LT beats Harlingen 68-0 in round 3, and then everyone on LT gets Covid, Harlingen doesn't get to replace LT and play for the regional finals.  Whoever won on the other side of the bracket will be declared the winner and move on to the state semis.

If you remember the Dallas Carter debacle, the rule then was that if a team had to forfeit, the team they had beaten in the previous round would advance.  See also the SA Mac-Permian state championship game.  Not the same thing, but they're saying that's what they're going to avoid.

A lot of our sophomores on offense are showing out better than I thought they would. Maybe we’ll beat them 68-0. Also I think you just agreed with me. Basically it sounds like if you have to forfeit a playoff game, your opponent automatically advances as if the game was played and they had beaten you. So in theory a team could covid forfeit their way to the state semis. 

I’ll bet anything you’ll see players just not go get covid tests once playoffs start, even if they’re sick.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Jesus, North Dallas HS broke a 68 year playoff drought and qualified for the playoffs this year. 1952 was the last time they went. Their reward? 10-0 Argyle tomorrow night.

Those boys will always remember 2020 and how they made the playoffs.  Their grandkids will get to hear some glory days stories.  Good for North Dallas.  

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Helobious said:

A lot of our sophomores on offense are showing out better than I thought they would. Maybe we’ll beat them 68-0. Also I think you just agreed with me. Basically it sounds like if you have to forfeit a playoff game, your opponent automatically advances as if the game was played and they had beaten you. So in theory a team could covid forfeit their way to the state semis. 

No, that's what they're prohibiting.  Harlingen can't put a Covid-positive sophomore in the game in the 4th quarter when they're down 54-0 just so he can cough all over the LT team and  cause an outbreak so that LT can't play and Harlingen takes their place.

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

No, that's what they're prohibiting.  Harlingen can't put a Covid-positive sophomore in the game in the 4th quarter when they're down 54-0 just so he can cough all over the LT team and  cause an outbreak so that LT can't play and Harlingen takes their place.

I know. LT beats Harlingen and has to play Judson in round 4. But LT gets mal de ojo from Harlingen sideline and gets a virus outbreak the day before Judson game. LT forfeits to Judson. So Harlingen & LT watch Judson take region 4 crown uncontested and move on to state semis. That’s what I’ve been trying to say this whole time. And you’re saying the same thing. Cultural barrier I guess. 

• Like 1