2020 Texas HS football

LTtxfan

@Helobious

LA JOYA — According to multiple District 31-6A coaches with direct knowledge of the situation, the La Joya High Coyotes and La Joya Juarez-Lincoln Huskies will not play high school football seasons this fall.

District 31-6A football coaches learned during a district executive committee meeting Wednesday afternoon that Juarez-Lincoln will opt out of fall sports competition across the board, while La Joya High will withdraw from football competition by sticking with cross country and volleyball seasons early.

According to multiple 6A coaches, the Coyotes and Huskies football programs seemed to lack the interest in participation to field full squads, as many student-athletes and parents alike are still skeptical about playing during the novel coronavirus pandemic.

Sources from Class 5A and 6A programs across the Rio Grande Valley indicate that all fall sports at La Joya Palmview seem to be a go for now.

La Joya ISD spokesperson Blanca E. Cantu said she couldn’t confirm or deny the latest developments at La Joya High and Juarez-Lincoln tied to football participation but said all of the district’s high schools have the option to participate in varsity cross country, golf, football, team tennis and volleyball competition.

“I don’t know, in terms of participation, how many kids we have in line to participate in those sports,” Cantu said. “Participation is going to be on a voluntary basis, of course. If the kids want to participate and the parents allow it, then the kids are more than welcome. If there are enough kids who are interested, then we’ll be able to play and if there aren’t, then we won’t be able to play.”

Josh Briones passes the ball during football practice at Juarez-Lincoln High School on Tuesday, Aug 13, 2019, in La Joya. (Joel Martinez | jmartinez@themonitor.com)
The La Joya school district also sent out a fall sports preferences survey to parents and families of student-athletes at La Joya High, Juarez-Lincoln and Palmview last week, citing the early responses as part of the reason the district decided to move forward with resuming on-campus athletic activities.

“I know that when we did the survey, which was focussed on (health and safety) protocols and guidelines which coaches have released and explained to the parents,” Cantu said. “We did some surveying and from the looks of it, it seems like we would have participation among all the sports, but I’m not sure if or how much that has changed within the past week.”

The latest twist in this roller-coaster story comes a day after Progreso ISD decided to call off fall sports competition and a day after La Joya ISD reversed its decision to ban fall sports competition and announced a return to the courts and fields of play for on-campus practices beginning Monday.

La Joya High and Juarez-Lincoln now join Progreso and Rio Hondo as the four high schools that have chosen to sit out the upcoming high school football season in the Rio Grande Valley.

The article says they were putting him into alternative school which suggests having something somewhere you shouldn't.  My son said one of his teammates had heard about a vape pen. 

If he withdrew i wonder if he's trying to enroll elsewhere to play...maybe a private school...?

Edited by Dennis Taylor

1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

The article says they were putting him into alternative school which suggests having something somewhere you shouldn't.  My son said one of his teammates had heard about a vape pen. 

If he withdrew i wonder if he's trying to enroll elsewhere to play...maybe a private school...?

He's withdrawing from a public school over a vape pen? Even if he's smoking weed, that's hardly "expel the starting QB" shit.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

He's withdrawing from a public school over a vape pen? Even if he's smoking weed, that's hardly "expel the starting QB" shit.

I’d guess he was caught at school with a pen that had thc or perhaps a regular 

He’s probably placed in something similar to this that the school district has  

https://www.esc20.net/apps/pages/alternative-education-programs-behavior-discipline

3 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

My son said one of his teammates had heard about a vape pen

Holy shit. What a soft culture.

I hate smoking and don't want to be around it at all, but expulsion for a vape pen? I'm in my 40s and students could still smoke at school when I started HS.

28 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I hate smoking and don't want to be around it at all, but expulsion for a vape pen? I'm in my 40s and students could still smoke at school when I started HS.

No expulsion, just suspension. He chose to leave.  I'm guessing this is more of a multiple strikes type situation.

Majority of the time these kids have THC in the vape pen, which results in a "drugs on campus" type of charge.  It's not expulsion, it's alternative school.  About 50% of the time parents pull their kids out of school to avoid the punishment.  Public schools have an agreement where punishments carry over from district to district, so his only option if he's trying to avoid punishment is to go to a private school.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

Majority of the time these kids have THC in the vape pen, which results in a "drugs on campus" type of charge.  It's not expulsion, it's alternative school.  About 50% of the time parents pull their kids out of school to avoid the punishment.  Public schools have an agreement where punishments carry over from district to district, so his only option if he's trying to avoid punishment is to go to a private school.

I think State law mandates the "carry over"

With many private schools not playing, not sure he has many options at this point. 

51 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Go on...

His best attribute, prior to the injury, was his running ability.  That appears to be gone, he only ran once but also took a handful of sacks.  His throwing motion is bad, looked like a 3/4 type delivery in a slinging motion.  If you need a 5 yard route passer (slant, hitch, curl) then he's your guy.  Beyond that he wasn't great.  He completed a couple of long passes, to the same receiver Grayson O'Bara (who has some serious wheels) who just outran the coverage and caught Stowers' chuck and a prayer passes.

A real test will be tomorrow against Denton Ryan.  If he truly has become pretty immobile, he's in for a rough night.  And I doubt the Ryan secondary is going to let O'Bara just blow past them.  Bowman on O'Bara could be a great matchup.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

99% chance he had THC in there if he’s anything like the average teen nowadays. It’s also pretty hard to get straight up expelled from public school, they usually just suspend people and make them go to an alternative campus. It’s also not the first time he’s been in trouble as others have said, I know he got suspended a game (from the team not school) for his n-bomb video last year. 

Quite a few great matchups this week, but fewer good games as districts start:

Carthage at Pleasant Grove; state championship preview

Guyer-Ryan; see two posts above this.

Lone Star @ Aledo, was a top-2 matchup before LS got upset last week.

Melissa @ Argyle; we'll see if Melissa is for real

Spearman @ Canadian; Bren Thompson takes on the top 3A program in the state

Judson @ Desoto

Atascocita @ Allen

Tascosa @ Midland L.E.E.  Yeah, that's what they did

Cedar Hill @ Arlington

Stream list: https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2020/10/06/dctf-texas-high-school-football-watch-guide-list-of-online-video-streams-for-week-6?ref=article_preview_title

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

No shit??? Hell I'm over 63 and you'd have gotten expelled for it back in my day.

3 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

No shit??? Hell I'm over 63 and you'd have gotten expelled for it back in my day.

At school, not in school. There was a smoking area outside. By the time I graduated, the rule had changed to having to smoke off campus, so students would walk across the street.

And teachers smoked in the teacher's lounge into the 2000s.

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

At school, not in school. There was a smoking area outside. By the time I graduated, the rule had changed to having to smoke off campus, so students would walk across the street.

And teachers smoked in the teacher's lounge into the 2000s.

I'm trying to remember when it was... around 81 or 82 I think was when my stepdaughter got in trouble at Alief Hastings.  I don't remember what it was for but I wound up going to meet with the woman principal.  After arguing for a few minutes I whipped out a cigarette and lit it.  "You can't smoke in here", to which I replied, shut up and give me a fucking ashtray.  She reached down, opened adesk drawer, pulled out an ashtray and handed it to me.

Edit: I called my stepdaughter and asked her what the hell trouble was over.  SMOKING!  There had been several girls in the restroom smoking between classes and my SD was walking in as they walked out.  Principal walks in shortly afterwards and sees and smells smoke. Guess who's the only one left in the bathroom?  Yep my SD So she was accused of smoking, and if it wasn't her she needed to give the names of the girls who were.  SD refused to rat anyone out. (I think this is what really made the principal the maddest)

So SD was sent home until principal could meet with a parent.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

I'm trying to remember when it was... around 81 or 82 I think was when my stepdaughter got in trouble at Alief Hastings.  I don't remember what it was for but I wound up going to meet with the woman principal.  After arguing for a few minutes I whipped out a cigarette and lit it.  "You can't smoke in here", to which I replied, shut up and give me a fucking ashtray.  She reached down, opened adesk drawer, pulled out an ashtray and handed it to me.

Then you banged her right there on the desk, right? 

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

giphy-4.gif

Edited by Katfid54
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Helobious said:

Weird. La Joya isn’t as football crazy as some other valley towns but it’s still a big deal. Especially at La Joya High. Palmview had a strong team last year maybe they’ll get some transfers in.

So La Joya has two 6A high schools (LJHS and LJJuarez-Lincoln) and also a 5A (LJ Palmview) high school. 

The town's population shows to be around 4,500 people. How is that possible?

1 hour ago, orange dream said:

So La Joya has two 6A high schools (LJHS and LJJuarez-Lincoln) and also a 5A (LJ Palmview) high school. 

The town's population shows to be around 4,500 people. How is that possible?

It serves a much larger rural area, lots of small communities and lots of kids from the colonias out there.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Jacob McCandles said:

I think State law mandates the "carry over"

With many private schools not playing, not sure he has many options at this point. 

Liquid THC is a state jail felony whether a minor or adult. Kids caught at school with that is an automatic felony which results in alternative school. No way around it in public schools.

On 10/1/2020 at 7:15 AM, Dennis Taylor said:

I was just told "He had drugs and a weapon in his car 3 weeks ago when he got pulled over by a cop. He has not played in a game this year because of pending charges." Looks like the charges stuck?

I tuned in for about 10 minutes of the Lake Travis / Westwood game last night, long enough to see LT's first drive.  The first throw the LT QB QB was a 15-20 yard out, and it was an absolute dart, a perfect throw - seemingly something you'd see from a good D-1 QB.   Not overly familiar with LT's roster but read this AM that this was a sophomore filling in for the starter (bound for Pitt).

I don't think my eyes deceived me, but the guy looks to have one helluva arm with almost 3 years left in high school.  

15 minutes ago, CoachEmUp64 said:

I was just told "He had drugs and a weapon in his car 3 weeks ago when he got pulled over by a cop. He has not played in a game this year because of pending charges." Looks like the charges stuck?

EJ Holland is crying into a giant sugar bomb almost coffee drink right now.