2020 Texas HS football

LTtxfan

1 hour ago, Mac8111 said:

Region IV

San Antonio Lanier (4-1) vs. Eagle Pass Winn (4-2), 7:30 p.m. Friday at San Antonio’s Alamo Stadium

McAllen Memorial (5-1) vs. Victoria West (6-3), 7:30 p.m. Friday at McAllen’s Memorial Stadium

San Antonio Southside (8-1) vs. San Antonio Jefferson (2-3), 7:30 p.m. Friday at San Antonio’s Southside ISD Stadium

Corpus Christi Flour Bluff (8-1) vs. Brownsville Pace (4-1), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Corpus Christi’s Hornet Stadium

Corpus Christi Veterans Memorial (9-0) vs. McAllen Rowe (5-3), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Corpus Christi’s Buccaneer Stadium

San Antonio Legacy (7-3) vs. San Antonio Highlands (4-1), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Von Ormy’s Southwest Legacy Stadium

Weslaco East (4-0) vs. Victoria East (6-3), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Weslaco’s Lackey Stadium

San Antonio Brackenridge (4-1) vs. San Antonio Southwest (4-6), 7 p.m. Thursday at San Antonio’s Alamo Stadium

I don't think there's a single team in here that could win a region in 4A.  

Good luck to all going forward this year! It’s been another great season for me officiating! My first game this year was 101 degrees at KO, in far South San Antonio, to wearing long Johns under my uniform yesterday for two Freshman games!

Unless my crew gets another playoff game, 2020 is in the books for me. During July and early August, we didn’t even know there would be a season! To have officiated 11 HS games, plus two playoff games, is a credit to all involved. I also officiated numerous Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday sub-varsity games this year, so all were appreciated by us and everyone involved! I actually enjoy officiating Jr. High games, because those kids still play for the love of the game! I tell the B and C team coaches that every game, because those kids could be at home playing video games, instead of being here with us. Win or lose - we’re all winners and TXHS football is still alive!

• Hook 'Em 4

57 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

5 Texas teams make the USA Today top 25 , for what its worth. I don't see Dville beating North Shore but who knows

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/6475460002?__twitter_impression=true

Noticed the absence of the usual California teams.....COVID sucks, but for the sake of the kids they should have let them play.  We managed to make it work here , albeit with a lot of adjustments.  But we are two games away from 4A down playing their state championships.   And six games for 5a/6A.  

On a side note, while our football team was sort of expected to be playing this week. A loss to LBJ ended this, but our band for which my Freshmen daughter participates made the State Marching contest by winning the South Texas region contest .  Again, related to football and other fall sports ... thanks goes out to the UIL for making it happen for all of these kids.  First time band dad after my other kids were all in sports, so it’s really different being involved in a different part of the Friday night experience.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

First time band dad after my other kids were all in sports, so it’s really different being involved in a different part of the Friday night experience.  

You just wait until your kid is named drum major and you'll have to go to every fucking band competition.  I promise that you won't like it as much then.  Especially if your kid is also the captain of the cross country team, which also has meets on Saturday morning, and you're entrusted with driving her from Seguin to Lago Vista and you have only 45 minutes to do it.  Fuck, I do not miss those days.  

23 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

You just wait until your kid is named drum major and you'll have to go to every fucking band competition.  I promise that you won't like it as much then.  Especially if your kid is also the captain of the cross country team, which also has meets on Saturday morning, and you're entrusted with driving her from Seguin to Lago Vista and you have only 45 minutes to do it.  Fuck, I do not miss those days.  

Lol!  Used to have to do that when one of mine played basketball and baseball season started towards the tail end.  Fun!   

And yea I had to work two band competitions in the last four weeks.  Yesterday’s was fun parking pit crews from 8am to 6pm  on cloudy and cold day.  An Upside with COVID protocols is the bands and fans were not allowed to arrive early and stay the whole day , so it went a lot smoother than it normally does.

Edited by Nueces River Rat

On 12/1/2020 at 7:10 PM, Helobious said:

I didn’t realize how many kids Vets Memorial took away from Judson. The Rockets are close to 5A size now, that’s insane. They’re a lock for D2 and will avoid LT & Westlake. That’s huge for them. Can’t imagine there’s any other decent 6A Austin teams, and Judson can handle pretty much any SA team. Should in theory mean a cakewalk to the semis for Judson barring virus shenanigans.

On 12/1/2020 at 9:11 PM, Nueces River Rat said:

Really?   I recall back in the 80s they were the “Allen” or super school of the day.  

5A, damn how the tide has turned.  I remember in the early/mid 80's they couldn't build fast enough to keep up with the growth.  

RIP university of Judson.

1 hour ago, CoachEmUp64 said:

So Ewers hasnt played in 2-3 weeks and supposedly had hernia surgery? Why is no one talking about this on recruiting boards etc? Or have I just missed it....

Think mainly it's not considered a big deal... coach described as minor, first I've heard of surgery, though that's a minor one and he's a 2022 kid so shouldn't affect recruitment at all.

He's been out over 5 weeks now so would expect he'll return either this week or next.

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut

On 12/6/2020 at 7:16 PM, Beau Vine said:

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47wbtjj1yafw4iy54p7m

^^^^^^^

Would love to see Huntsville go all the way.  They've been competitive the past 7-8 years, but it was a long stretch for them since they were viable in the playoffs.

Weather looks good, so I am going to get over to Vernon on Thursday night and watch 2A-DII Wellington vs Windthorst.   Go Blue!

I love state semifinals week.  It’s not real rational to me, but this is the week where everyone’s playing for their region, too.  Everyone in west Texas will be rooting for Canadian and Post.  Everyone in south Texas will be rooting for Shiner and Hallettsville.  Lots of people hate those teams all season, but now they’re big fans.  That’s just really fun.  

Class 4A Division I
Canyon (12-1) vs Argyle (14-0), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Abilene's Anthony Field
Canyon lost their starting QB last week.  The Eagles’ loss was to Dumas, and their backup QB rallied them to an upset over Springtown last week.  Argyle has been the best team in 4AD1 all season, with non-district wins over LaVega and Pleasant Grove.  They just put on a clinic last weekend against a good Paris team, and they really have no weaknesses to exploit.  This will not be close.  
Lindale (12-2) vs Austin LBJ (9-2), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Humble’s Turner Stadium
LBJ matched up better against Miller’s passing attack than they do with Lindale’s running offense.  These two teams are close, but in the playoffs, you give the edge to the team with the best player and that’s Lindale RB Jordan Jenkins, who has 16 TDs over the last two weeks.  Yep, 16.  Hard to bet against that, huh?

Class 4A Division II
Graham (11-1) vs Gilmer (13-1), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Prosper’s Children’s Health Stadium
This one could be close, too.  Graham has a better defense, but Gilmer’s offense is really explosive and that 38-14 win over Caddo last week impressed me more than Graham’s comeback squeaker over Celina, so I’ll take the Buckeyes. 
Carthage (12-0) vs Wimberley (11-3), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Porter’s Randall Reed Stadium
Wimberley has a lot of little guys who are great high school football players, but Carthage has a lot of big guys who are great high school football players.  Reminds me a lot of last year’s state championship game, a game where Wimberley was heavily overmatched, but kept the game close until the 4th quarter when the size and talent of PG took over.  Carthage has won 69 of their last 70, and they’re not losing this one.  

Class 3A Division I
Tuscola Jim Ned (12-1) vs Mount Vernon (12-2), 3:15 p.m. Friday at Arlington’s Globe Life Park
Hard to be objective on this one because FuckYou,Art.  MV finished 4th in the best district in the bracket and pulled off a big comeback last week, erasing a 12-point deficit with 7 minutes left.  Jim Ned has a good balanced offense and the better defense, and they’ve beaten better teams than MV so far, so I think they’ll win.
Hallettsville (12-2) vs Llano (13-0), 7 p.m. Thursday at Georgetown’s Georgetown ISD Athletic Complex
Two very good teams.  I love Llano’s QB and defensive front 7, but like the Lindale game above, Hallettsville has the best player (by far) and you bet on the team with the best player.  Note that this game is Thursday night in G’town for you Wilco types wanting a chance to see Brooks.

Class 3A Division II
Canadian (13-1) vs Gunter (13-1), 4 p.m. Friday at Abilene’s Anthony Field
These two will meet in this round for the FIFTH STRAIGHT SEASON.  Gunter has won 3 of 4, including a thriller last season where Canadian was stopped a yard short of tying the game as the clock ran out.  Watch this one if you’ve never seen Gunter – they run an option offense out of a pistol formation that’s really fun.  Canadian, meanwhile, has scored 782 points, and I think they win this one in a shootout. 
Waskom (12-1) vs Franklin (11-2), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Tyler’s TMF Rose Stadium
Saw these two play for state that year that state was in NRG Stadium.  Franklin runs a Winged-T type offense that just slams people.  The Lions also come from the toughest district in the bracket (all 4 teams made the region semis), so I’ll give them the edge.

Class 2A Division I
Post (14-0) vs Crawford (13-1), 7 p.m. Thursday at Brownwood’s Gordon Wood Stadium
Post is insane.  They’ve outscored opponents 646-53 this season and throttled a good Cisco team with all sorts of playoff tradition last week 33-0, holding them to 48 total yards.  Crawford is another team with a lot of playoff tradition and the reputation of outplaying their talent because of discipline and coaching.  They could keep it close, but I can’t see the Pirates winning.  
Timpson (14-0) vs Shiner (12-0), 7 p.m. Thursday at Porter’s Randall Reed Stadium
There’s really not a better area in the state for HS football than that small sliver of east Texas just to the NW of Toledo Bend Res.  Within about an hour, you have Carthage, Timpson, Teneha, Center, and St. Aug.  Timpson has had a dream year, but Shiner exorcised the Refugio demon last week.  The Comanches are absurdly big and fast for a 2A team and they play really good defense and run the ball, which is how you win state in 2A.  

Class 2A Division II
Wellington (13-0) vs Windthorst (13-1), 7 p.m. Thursday at Vernon’s Lion Stadium
Maybe the most evenly matched game of the weekend.  Windthorst’s only loss was to Hamlin. Wellington beat the Trojans by 30 last year in the playoffs, so I’ll take them again by a much smaller margin.
Mart (13-0) vs Falls City (11-2), 7 p.m. Thursday at Pflugerville’s The Pfield
Someone upthread mentioned that Falls City is good every season until they run into a team that overpowers them.   This is where that happens this year.  

Best first round matchups from 5A-6A:
Prosper @ Marcus (without Nussmeier, injury)
Westfield @ College Park
Dickinson @ Dawson
Smithson Valley @ Reagan
Wagner-SAJohnson
Lufkin @ Longview
Mission @ San Benito for Helobius
Georgetown @ Dripping
Gonna be lots of blowouts.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

5A-6A playoffs start Thursday.  DCTF picks:

6A-DI-Predictions.jpg

I wonder if Tepper knows that Nussmeier is hurt?

6A-DII-Predictions.jpg

5A-DI-Predictions.jpg

That Cedar Park logo is terrible...

5A-DII-Predictions.jpg

Is Liberty Hill the team that does that hurry up illegal procedure slot T bullshit? Yeah Pioneer isn’t going to stop that at all.

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Best first round matchups from 5A-6A:
Prosper @ Marcus (without Nussmeier, injury)
Westfield @ College Park
Dickinson @ Dawson
Smithson Valley @ Reagan
Wagner-SAJohnson
Lufkin @ Longview
Mission @ San Benito for Helobius
Georgetown @ Dripping
Gonna be lots of blowouts.

Solid list, I might pick Vela-Weslaco as the RGVs best game but Mission-SB may be more competitive. I wasn’t super impressed with the Panther offense, Vela may run them out of the stadjium. 

I noticed that the way the playoffs shook out this year there’s a very real scenario where no valley or Laredo teams make the 3rd round. Hate when that happens. I think it was 2009 that we beat SA Southwest in a rainstorm in the 1st round.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Solid list, I might pick Vela-Weslaco as the RGVs best game but Mission-SB may be more competitive. I wasn’t super impressed with the Panther offense, Vela may run them out of the stadjium. 

I noticed that the way the playoffs shook out this year there’s a very real scenario where no valley or Laredo teams make the 3rd round. Hate when that happens. I think it was 2009 that we beat SA Southwest in a rainstorm in the 1st round.

So weird to me that there’s no McAllen teams in the largest classification. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Shiner would gain more fans if one of the largest employers in that town gave away free beer at the local Circle K or 7/11 after a Shiner win.....

what's crazy about the tiny little town of Shiner is that they also have St Paul HS that has win 6 state titles in TAPPS since 2010 and playing for another one this weekend    

• Hook 'Em 2

59 minutes ago, CoachEmUp64 said:

If they combined those schools what classification would they be? Just curious.

I would guess a 3A D1 school...Shiner is at 223, I saw 297 for St Paul but I wouldn't be surprised if that was K-12 numbers, and if thats the case i would say no more than 150 for high school. 

St Paul/ Shiner Catholic School was founded in 1897!

9 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

I would guess a 3A D1 school...Shiner is at 223, I saw 297 for St Paul but I wouldn't be surprised if that was K-12 numbers, and if thats the case i would say no more than 150 for high school. 

St Paul/ Shiner Catholic School was founded in 1897!

Thats neat, I did not know that. Thanks for sharing. 

Kind of like Muenster and Sacred Heart

Wellington 0

Windthorst 0 halftime

wellington had at least 32 plays.  Punted once. Turned it over on downs multiple times

Windthorst never passed midfield, but also started all 3 drives deep in their own territory. 

Weird observation- whatever the opposite of Mike Leach’s O-line splits might be, Wellington is demonstrating it.  Damned near a wedge, they are so tight in there. 

Windthorst advances 7-0

game lasted 2 hours with both teams just  trading body blows in the running game. The Trojans scored on a trick play with Wellington doubling Kyle Wolf every play, Windthorst snuck a WR down the line of scrimmage and he was left uncovered for about a 25-30 yard TD

one turnover in the whole game, but it was critical as Windthorst got the INT at :58 in the 4th Q to end the Rockets’ drive to tie the game.

6A-5A interesting scores...

Dawson 35 Dickinson 19

NB Canyon 20 Derkaville 17  NB Canyon went 0-10 in 2019 and is 11-1 now.

FB Marshall 21 PNG 14

State semis...

3AD1

Hallettsville 53 Llano 28  Llano's QB, who had played so well in the playoffs so far, dropped a stinker, and Brooks... well, "dominated" doesn't begin to describe it.  Around 300 yards rushing, 5 TDs, 2 INTs, 1 TD, and he punted well.  Jebus.

2A D1 

Post 28 Crawford 14  As I expected, Crawford's kids kept this closer than it should have been.  They were actually down only 21-14 in the 4th and threw an INT near the end zone.  A long return and a short drive by the Antelopes put it away.

Shiner 49 Timpson 7  The Bears came into the game with 752 points scored on the season, but were completely outclassed.  A great year for a team that DCTF picked to finish 5th in their 6-team district.  BTW, Shiner and Hallettsville are in the same county, 14 miles apart, and Shiner beat the Brahmas 44-34 in the first game of the season.  

2AD2

Windthorst 7 Wellington 0 Not much to add to Slorch's comments a few posts up, except that Wellington's fans are complaining that the TD play was illegal -- the WR who caught the ball apparently faked running off to the sidelines after he broke the huddle.  

Mart 48 Falls City 21  As expected.  

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

2AD2

Windthorst 7 Wellington 0 Not much to add to Slorch's comments a few posts up, except that Wellington's fans are complaining that the TD play was illegal -- the WR who caught the ball apparently faked running off to the sidelines after he broke the huddle.  

It was a legal play.  You just can't sneak him off the sideline onto the field of play.  The fact that he broke from the huddle makes it absolutely legal.  Wellington was so caught up in tracking Wolf, #2; that they missed the assignment on that particular play.  I can't remember the last high school game where a WR was doubled on virtually every offensive play.

Wellington dominated the living shit out the first half, with 3 drives that ended inside the Trojan RedZone. Their first drive in the 1st Quarter ran 10 minutes off the clock, died at the 5, and then Windthorst went 3 and out.  The SkyRockets then drove again, only to turn it over on downs. 3 big, ball-hawging possessions and nothing to show for them.  THAT was the difference in the game, to a far greater extent than the Windthorst TD play.

Windthorst received the 2nd half kickoff and started at about their own 33.  That was by far their best field position with the game being half over.

Both defenses played their asses off.  there were no breakaway plays by either team.  Just great lines of pursuit and heavy hitting tackles.

For a 7-0 game, it was still damned good.

33 minutes ago, slorch said:

It was a legal play.  You just can't sneak him off the sideline onto the field of play.  The fact that he broke from the huddle makes it absolutely legal.  Wellington was so caught up in tracking Wolf, #2; that they missed the assignment on that particular play.  I can't remember the last high school game where a WR was doubled on virtually every offensive play.

Wellington dominated the living shit out the first half, with 3 drives that ended inside the Trojan RedZone. Their first drive in the 1st Quarter ran 10 minutes off the clock, died at the 5, and then Windthorst went 3 and out.  The SkyRockets then drove again, only to turn it over on downs. 3 big, ball-hawging possessions and nothing to show for them.  THAT was the difference in the game, to a far greater extent than the Windthorst TD play.

Windthorst received the 2nd half kickoff and started at about their own 33.  That was by far their best field position with the game being half over.

Both defenses played their asses off.  there were no breakaway plays by either team.  Just great lines of pursuit and heavy hitting tackles.

Wellington fans forgot about this gem? 

• Hook 'Em 1

I have one kid at txk texas high and another at txk pleasant grove. This is what sec sec sec fandom is like.

Weather permitting have Tickets to the tx high game tomorrow. Shouldnt be fair, but im not sitting in the rain when i have internet to watch at home. Hopefully the storms are gone by evening. Id love some 40 degree weather with coffee and peanuts on a friday evening.

10 hours ago, slorch said:

The Trojans won despite gaining just 92 yards and converting five first downs. They had just eight possessions and moved into Wellington territory three times. They didn’t run a play closer to the end zone than the 26-yard line.