2017-18 NBA Regular Season Thread -- News, Notes, Trades, etc

Reynolds Woodcock

Just finished Simmons podcast with Durant.  It was entertaining but KD didnt come out in the best light.  He took every question like it was a personal attack, extremely sensitive to everything that was said. Probably the last podcast that his agent will let him do.

1 hour ago, Chapo said:

Just finished Simmons podcast with Durant.  It was entertaining but KD didnt come out in the best light.  He took every question like it was a personal attack, extremely sensitive to everything that was said. Probably the last podcast that his agent will let him do.

He has already said winning the ring did not really change anything for him like he thought. And it is obvious why. He has become very sensitive and ornery since joining GSW. Creating sock twitter accounts to defend himself. It's pretty sad what he has become on and off the court. He knows most people don't respect his ring he got last year. Although not sure why he really cares in the first place. He used to claim to not give a shit about what others say but he clearly does. The only way he really changes his image is to do what Lebron did and go back to his original team and bring home a title. That title meant much more to Lebron than either of the Heat titles. You could see it in his emotions. 

14 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

He has already said winning the ring did not really change anything for him like he thought. And it is obvious why. He has become very sensitive and ornery since joining GSW. Creating sock twitter accounts to defend himself. It's pretty sad what he has become on and off the court. He knows most people don't respect his ring he got last year. Although not sure why he really cares in the first place. He used to claim to not give a shit about what others say but he clearly does. The only way he really changes his image is to do what Lebron did and go back to his original team and bring home a title. That title meant much more to Lebron than either of the Heat titles. You could see it in his emotions. 

That might be the best way to restore the legacy for Durant, I think during the All Star Weekend, it was obvious that KD & Russ kind of missed each other...

The problem is he might be gullible to wants of his mom & brother...
Not counting other "hangers on"that happens to many star NBA people in real life...
Kevin has it documented in his transition for the 405 to the Bay...
In that he later blamed his "handlers" in allowing him to be talked into leaving Russ behind...

7 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

the only people who don't respect his ring are fucking idiots like vic who apparently didn't watch the finals last year.

I dont know about "not respecting" but there is a difference.   The farther we get away from it the less it will matter but we aren't even a full calendar yr away.

20 hours ago, Message Board User said:

If the Cavs had a decent coaching staff I think they’d win the title this year.  But they don’t so que sera sera.

It's going to take a little more than coaching for Larry Nance, George Hill, and Jordan Clarkson to be key contributors on an NBA Championship team. 

...and I may be the biggest fanboy of their trade deadline moves.  They're MUCH better than they were in January...but they are no where near as good--or dangerous--as they were last June.

4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

It's going to take a little more than coaching for Larry Nance, George Hill, and Jordan Clarkson to be key contributors on an NBA Championship team. 

...and I may be the biggest fanboy of their trade deadline moves.  They're MUCH better than they were in January...but they are no where near as good--or dangerous--as they were last June.

He lives!

11 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Warriors get blown out, Kerr says they didn't care enough about the game to win, Durant says nuh uh we care.

Thank god that no one below Utah right now is good enough to bump them down to the 7 seed.  I think Utah would beat them right now.; GS would have trouble cracking 100 against that defense.  Their offense is just so damn ordinary, predictable, stagnant, and slow without Curry.  Not to mention, without Steph, they're down to 2 competent 3 point shooters on the entire roster...and Nick Young...so the spacing blows.

Frankly, it's a little embarrassing that there are questions about how they'll fare against potential 7 seeds when they still have the 2nd best player in basketball, arguably the 2nd best shooter ever, the most impactful defensive player in basketball (and one of the best big man passers not named Nikola), and another Finals' MVP.  At some point, it has to fall on Kerr a bit.  He built an amazing offense around Steph's gravity, but still hasn't figured out how to be even above average when he's off-the-court 4 years in.  KD can obviously be the head of an elite NBA offense; OKC was #2 in 2015-2016 with he, Russ, Waiters, Roberson, and Adams.

Edited by aggie08

13 hours ago, Skyline said:

Like Wagon said, Milwaukee, Detroit, Phoenix, NoLa can't attract big time free agency talent so they have to overpay. Which makes it difficult to engage in trades too because teams only want good contracts. 

I've read from Zach Lowe the supermax hasn't had the intended effect. Smaller teams have been unwilling to commit the resources of a supermax.

The supermax is already a disaster.  Literally only 4 players are actually worth it*: LeBron, KD, Steph, and Harden.  Proven guys who can completely transform your team into a legit contender, not John Wall.  Even with Steph and Harden, GS and Houston can absorb their salaries because they already have the complimentary stars they need on the roster, and can go over the cap to pay them.  If they need to sign another big name going forward, they can't.  In OKC--whose franchise would crumble if Russ left and thus had to pay him--if PG leaves, they are fucked financially for the foreseeable future with a 2nd round (if that) ceiling.

*Kawhi would have been on the list in November.  Now, I think the Spurs would be crazy to pay him the max after a lost season, when they're probably still a piece or two short with him.  The supermax gives you absolutely zero cap flexibility.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

The supermax is already a disaster.  Literally only 4 players are actually worth it*: LeBron, KD, Steph, and Harden.  Proven guys who can completely transform your team into a legit contender, not John Wall.  Even with Steph and Harden, GS and Houston can absorb their salaries because they already have the complimentary stars they need on the roster, and can go over the cap to pay them.  If they need to sign another big name going forward, they can't.  In OKC--whose franchise would crumble if Russ left and thus had to pay him--if PG leaves, they are fucked financially for the foreseeable future with a 2nd round (if that) ceiling.

*Kawhi would have been on the list in November.  Now, I think the Spurs would be crazy to pay him the max after a lost season, when they're probably still a piece or two short with him.  The supermax gives you absolutely zero cap flexibility.

Agree with all of this. San Antonio would have to be crazy to give KL a supermax deal. He either doesn't want to play for the Spurs anymore or his injury is worse than anyone knows...maybe both. 

Just now, immortal13 said:

Agree with all of this. San Antonio would have to be crazy to give KL a supermax deal. He either doesn't want to play for the Spurs anymore or his injury is worse than anyone knows...maybe both. 

Highly doubt that because the Spurs medical staff has cleared him to play more than once. 

I was curious how Cleveland would treat this game. I'm not sure that they care when they'd have to play Toronto. But this game is HUGE for Philly. Virtually lock up the 3 seed, get Boston or worse in round 2, have Embiid as healthy as possible for an ECF against Toronto or Cleveland, and the confidence that they can beat LeBron.

However, tired or not, give a fuck or not, Cleveland's defense still has more holes than Swiss cheese.

Edited by aggie08

I wouldn't put it past Lebron to intentionally lose this game  not give best effort so that he can be assured of not facing his bestie in the playoffs.

I also wouldn't pencil in Philly in the ECF just yet; I'll be interested to see how they cope when the game inevitably slows down.  They're at the best at a fast pace and a semifinal matchup against Boston (who will undoubtedly slow the game down) would be fascinating, even without Kyrie.

5 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

No way. The defense is a sieve.

They're going to be useless against Golden State or Houston, for sure. But the Cavs have made their lives way easier in the Eastern Conference playoffs by turning up the first-shot defense and owning the boards, then getting their share of offensive rebounds on the other end.

In their championship season, Cleveland was top 10 in offensive rebounding percentage, and top 5 in DRB%. Now, they're second to last and middle of the pack, respectively.

Edited by Machinator

19 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Felt the same way listening to the podcast. I'll always cheer for him, but man he was getting annoying and whiney to listen to at the end. I enjoyed the earlier Simmons/KD podcasts.