Overrated Austin restaurants?

Chet Steadman

5 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Good to see that everyone recognizes the dominance of Lupe Tortilla. The only thing better than their fajitas is the mildly racist restaurant decor. Add in a filthy playground full of feral children and you’ve got the best restaurant in town. 

Never been there.  Thanks for the warning!

1 hour ago, hornbri said:

I went last week. That is the correct price, but you can add in wine parings and get it up there pretty quick. 

BTW - I thought it was worth the price. 

Glad you liked it.  Personally, I'd rather drop $100 on the wife and I at say, Juliet, give $100 to Mobile Loaves and Fishes, and put the other $300 in the college fund.

49 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Laughs hysterically that Lupe Fajitas is the best Tex Mex option in Austin. 

Lovely town, but there is a price to be paid. 

I'm more of the opinion that ordering fajitas . . . anywhere . . . might not be the best option.  That said, Lupe Tortilla is not the best option.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/29/2023 at 5:30 PM, hornbri said:

I went last week. That is the correct price, but you can add in wine parings and get it up there pretty quick. 

BTW - I thought it was worth the price. 

Yeah, son is a wine snob.

On 4/29/2023 at 3:14 PM, jimmyjazz said:

OK, I looked up "Pasta|Bar Austin" and I see it's a new joint in the old Castle Hill / Corazon building, which has been vacant for way too long.  Reservations are $195 per person, which to me seems insane, but a long way from nearly $600 per person.  What's the catch?  A couple of bottles of super expensive wine?

Yes.

On 4/29/2023 at 8:35 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I'm more of the opinion that ordering fajitas . . . anywhere . . . might not be the best option.  That said, Lupe Tortilla is not the best option.

Never understood the love for fajitas when you could just as easily have enchiladas, chili rellenos, tamales ...

Never understood the love for fajitas when you could just as easily have enchiladas, chili rellenos, tamales ...

Beef Fajita tacos should be compared to other tacos, not other types of TexMex entrees. Definitely from Dallas.

Or, are you our governor talking about bbq - “the sauce is the number one thing” “its all about the babyback ribs”

On 4/29/2023 at 5:51 PM, South Austin said:

They don’t spend that money on the menu presentation. Looks like my sixth grader created that.

My Italian brain immediately notices they need to check their spelling and grammar.

Looking at their IG... L f'in O L

Looks like the antithesis of what Italian cooking and food should be.  I'll take nearly any osteria or trattoria in the countryside in Italy over this.

https://www.instagram.com/pastabaraustin/?hl=en

Edited by texasdago

3 minutes ago, texasdago said:

My Italian brain immediately notices they need to check their spelling and grammar.

Looking at their IG... L f'in O L

Looks like the antithesis of what Italian cooking and food should be.  I'll take nearly any osteria or trattoria in the countryside in Italy over this.

https://www.instagram.com/pastabaraustin/?hl=en

I don't think they're going for countryside trattoria. 

46 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don't think they're going for countryside trattoria. 

I don't think so either but again, it is the antithesis of Italian cooking.  That's my point.  Italian food, regardless of where you are in the country focuses on simplicity.   

3 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

i don't remember if lin and wu chow have been mentioned yet.  if not they deserve to be in this thread.  overpriced and mediocre.  

It's Asian food for white people who don't know Asian food.  I'll never go to either, but they have my respect for making a living by price gouging hipsters.  

14 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

My number one dinner favorite is enchiladas with fajitas on top. Awesome. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

It's Asian food for white people who don't know Asian food.  I'll never go to either, but they have my respect for making a living by price gouging hipsters.  

Met a client at Lin Wu on Friday on SW Parkway.   It was fine.  I expected more.  

• 10 months later...