Overrated Austin restaurants?

Chet Steadman

6 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Cheese enchiladas are the essence of Tex-Mex. It's square fucking one. It's how you judge a place. It's not by their queso, or the combo platters, or a burrito suizo, or their margaritas and atmosphere. It's "How well do they do cheese enchiladas with chili gravy"? 

I guess that makes Dart Bowl the best tex-mex place in town.

tenor.gif?itemid=10861772

• Like 1

I wish one of those were true, but no, no allegiance other than my appreciation for the place.  Our family/friend group loves the shit. We're there just about every weekend. It's been the only restaurant choice that we consistently agree upon.

It's all subjective so who gives a shit? I just don't think that you and I, at all, agree on what should be judged when considering the best "all-around Mexican" food joint.

My original post on this page was to challenge someone to give me better alternative for all-around Tex-Mex experience and I don't think that anything has been tossed out that qualifies.

• Like 1

If my wife or a friend says "hey let's go to Matt's", I'm going.  I like it.

If I'm picking, it's probably nowhere near the top of the list but for fuck's sake it's fine.  To me it's like Mi Tierra in San Antonio -- the food doesn't match the rep but it's still fine.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

If my wife or a friend says "hey let's go to Matt's", I'm going.  I like it.

If I'm picking, it's probably nowhere near the top of the list but for fuck's sake it's fine.  To me it's like Mi Tierra in San Antonio -- the food doesn't match the rep but it's still fine.

About like that.

I seriously dig some Armstrong dip, and their grilled offerings are actually strong, if I recall correctly (carne asada tacos, etc.).  Their cheesy-greasy tex-mex is where they are just middle of the road.  Interestingly, my folks (moved to Austin two years ago) just went to Matt's for the first time with some friends.  They liked it well enough.  Not life-changing, but they liked it well enough (and they are from S. Texas and picky about their tex-mex -- my mom thinks that the enchiladas at Dart Bowl are as close to the ones she remembers from the White Kitchen in McAllen as any she's ever had).

So don't do the tasting menu?  As you know we're going there for youngest's graduation dinner next Friday.  DDD will be there too.  Good thing [mention=81]texanbychoice[/mention] will not be in town.

Ask for the mini spatula before your first course. There’s no shame in sending back each plate as clean as it came to the table.

are you matt's grandkid? do you own stock in Matt's? your dedication to a good but not great tex mex joint is perplexing.

I usually get shot down all over this site. But I think Matt’s is better than EyM simply for consistency

I’ve been to EyM maybe 3 times. Two of those times they left my shit in the salamander so fucking long that my cheese enchiladas looked like dog turds and the rice was hard as a rock. I couldn’t believe they would even serve that.

But it happened twice.

Oh come on.  Enchiladas y Mas crushes Matt's for TexMex, and I suspect I've missed a couple of dozen better joints in town, because I'm a gringo and my safe-tether only goes so far.

Wait, what? There aren’t dangerous places like that in Austin. And don’t say Rundberg or East 12th.

But yes, EyM crushes that bullshit Maudie’s place.

17 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Wait, what? There aren’t dangerous places like that in Austin. And don’t say Rundberg or East 12th.

But yes, EyM crushes that bullshit Maudie’s place.

I'm a gringo living off Rundberg. Great Mexican food in the area. Don't be a pussy 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Hey, I'm not proud of my lack of adventure.  Hell, I work near a dozen joints I probably need to try.  I'm within a mile of Rundberg/Lamar.  

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Hey, I'm not proud of my lack of adventure.  Hell, I work near a dozen joints I probably need to try.  I'm within a mile of Rundberg/Lamar.  

Well, shit, stop by and we'll have a nice tour of some fantastic food.

(and play some guitar)

Edited by Deej

4 hours ago, Deej said:

Baby A's purple Rita's. Buddy had 5 one night and one his way back to the table from the bathroom, pulled a Chris Farley and collapsed on a table of a family of four. Good times.

I’m about to turn 39, lived in Austin all my life and I’ve never been to a Baby A’s. What do I win?

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

it’s simply amazing that there are places of austin that you deem too dangerous.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

About like that.

I seriously dig some Armstrong dip, and their grilled offerings are actually strong, if I recall correctly (carne asada tacos, etc.).  Their cheesy-greasy tex-mex is where they are just middle of the road.  Interestingly, my folks (moved to Austin two years ago) just went to Matt's for the first time with some friends.  They liked it well enough.  Not life-changing, but they liked it well enough (and they are from S. Texas and picky about their tex-mex -- my mom thinks that the enchiladas at Dart Bowl are as close to the ones she remembers from the White Kitchen in McAllen as any she's ever had).

where is the best brisket-approved cheesy greasy texmex in austin?

Edited by futureman

10 hours ago, futureman said:

where is the best brisket-approved cheesy greasy texmex in austin?

Different strengths at different places.

Enchiladas y Mas for overall approach.

Joe's Bakery for a real-deal S. Texas diner approach.

Angies for a more northern Mexico approach to things.

Maudies for Tex-Mex with the pretty people (and their cheese enchiladas and diablo dip are mighty fine...rest of the menu is meh).

Best cheese enchiladas in town are at the Dart Bowl, though.

I dragged the family to Chuy's the other night because I had a hankering.... I love the jalapeno ranch dip, and I love the deluxe tomatillo sauce.  But I forgot that everything else is meh.

La Mancha for "white folks neighborhood tex-mex."  My wife loves the place.  And it's good.  Just not great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I dragged the family to Chuy's the other night because I had a hankering.... I love the jalapeno ranch dip, and I love the deluxe tomatillo sauce.  But I forgot that everything else is meh.

La Mancha for "white folks neighborhood tex-mex."  My wife loves the place.  And it's good.  Just not great.

The green chili chicken stew at Chuy's is outstanding.  I think they may put some of the deluxe tomatillo sauce in it.  I don't think I've ordered anything else there over the past 5 years or so.  And the jalapeno ranch dip is indeed like crack.

I'm one of the white folk that frequents La Mancha, and I agree that it's good, not great.  It's right down the street for us, so it's a quick and easy place that we know the kids will like on nights where I just don't feel like cooking.  The chicken chili relleno is pretty solid, and I've been known to slam some carnitas hash for brunch to help get over a hangover.  As I recall, Brisket, you're a lawyer, so you'll appreciate that we see Professor Stanley Johansson there quite a bit.  If fact, we celebrated the win over TCU last fall with him in the bar area, and I got a celebratory picture with my kids and him.

We like La Mancha better than it's predecessor Jorge's, which had really great salsa and margaritas, but the food was overpriced for the quality. 

12 minutes ago, South Austin said:

As I recall, Brisket, you're a lawyer, so you'll appreciate that we see Professor Stanley Johansson there quite a bit.  If fact, we celebrated the win over TCU last fall with him in the bar area, and I got a celebratory picture with my kids and him.

Yeah, he's also a family friend.  We actually visited at a funeral a couple of months ago, and found out that he and his wife know the Norwegian anthem and such (we have a Norwegian student with us, and they chatted a good bit).  We're actually having a Norwegian Constitution Day party this Friday, was thinking of inviting them.

I love Stanley Jo.  Which made it even more entertaining a couple of summers ago, when I got to cross-examine him as a hostile expert witness at a temporary injunction hearing.  That was fun.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, he's also a family friend.  We actually visited at a funeral a couple of months ago, and found out that he and his wife know the Norwegian anthem and such (we have a Norwegian student with us, and they chatted a good bit).  We're actually having a Norwegian Constitution Day party this Friday, was thinking of inviting them.

I love Stanley Jo.  Which made it even more entertaining a couple of summers ago, when I got to cross-examine him as a hostile expert witness at a temporary injunction hearing.  That was fun.

Holy shit, I bet that was a hoot examining him in court.  He was one of my favorite law professors, and I told him so when I saw him at La Mancha for the TCU game.  He seemed genuinely moved that a student from 20 years ago would go up to him in a restaurant and tell him that. 

I can't get into La Mancha.  I like the vibe in the bar, but the food has always been extra-meh to me.

This rec isn't a TexMex joint, but Doc's Motorworks on 38th has a pretty kickass taco special every Wednesday.  Ground beef, chicken, or bean & cheese crispy tacos are $1 each, all night long.  They don't suck.  

We have a Norwegian friend who washed up in Austin from New Orleans after Katrina. She reached out for help from a local Norwegian group and Stanley was the first Austinite she met and he really helped her out. He still shows up at her Constitution Day parties sometimes. Good guy.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

La Mancha isn't bad. Agree that it's better than Jorge's but I always liked the puffy tacos Jorge's did. 

The original Jorge's by Jorge Arredondo was the best in town. Then that West Texas abomination, also called Jorge's, took over the building, remodeled it, and still called it Jorge's.

It's gonna be a sad day when the Arredondo style enchiladas finally die off. EYM is the last gasp. Maudie's used to adhere to the recipe but it's gone downhill the past decade.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Pics of said Norwegian?

8 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Pics of said Norwegian?

She asked Brisket to stay
And she told him to sit anywhere
So he looked around
And he noticed there wasn't a chair
He sat on a rug biding my time
drinking her wine
They talked until two and then she said
"It's time for bed"

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Pics of said Norwegian?

Yeah, nope.

But you can ask GOLL, he's seen her.  She's a knockout.  Her friends are pretty cool, too, and her parents are way cool.  We're learning to party with the Norwegians, and we're getting good at it (age-adjusted, of course).

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, nope.

But you can ask GOLL, he's seen her.  She's a knockout.  Her friends are pretty cool, too, and her parents are way cool.  We're learning to party with the Norwegians, and we're getting good at it (age-adjusted, of course).

You guys around next weekend?  We'll be down for youngest's graduation.  Staying at a place across from Trudy's.  Lunch or drinks?

• Like 1

On 5/15/2019 at 9:38 AM, Brisketexan said:

Different strengths at different places.

Enchiladas y Mas for overall approach.

Joe's Bakery for a real-deal S. Texas diner approach.

Angies for a more northern Mexico approach to things.

Maudies for Tex-Mex with the pretty people (and their cheese enchiladas and diablo dip are mighty fine...rest of the menu is meh).

Best cheese enchiladas in town are at the Dart Bowl, though.

Joes Bakery has the silkiest refried beans I’ve ever tasted. 

La Mancha is good, but their queso is not good. Which kind of is a deal killer 

Lupe is definitely better than Matt’s 

Maudie’s cheese enchiladas are decadently good. But yeah, the rest of their menu is sub par.