Overrated Austin restaurants?

Chet Steadman

6 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

All of this. And I have always suspected they used bacon grease in their refried beans. That's almost like cheating it's so good. I'm a gringo, but refried beans are one of the most important criteria for me when judging a Tex Mex restaurant.

It ain't that hard to duplicate at home.  Keep jar of bacon grease in fridge.  When making refrieds, add a good dollop of bacon grease to pan before  you add the beans.  Magic.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

When they franchised out, homogenized the menu, and dumbed everything down so near-minimum wage chefs could prepare everything.  Same shit with Torchy's.  Used to love that place.  

They also use about 4 cups of salt in everything they make. I know Tex Mex isn't health food but Chuy's plates are just a salt bomb. Last time I ate at the one in FW I couldn't take it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TornACL said:

They also use about 4 cups of salt in everything they make. I know Tex Mex isn't health food but Chuy's plates are just a salt bomb. Last time I ate at the one in FW I couldn't take it.

Yep - salt covers aptitude.  When in doubt, just saturate and hope like hell the clientele doesn't know the difference.  

22 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

It ain't that hard to duplicate at home.  Keep jar of bacon grease in fridge.  When making refrieds, add a good dollop of bacon grease to pan before  you add the beans.  Magic.

The fridge? I use my mom's tried and true method of keeping a coffee can full of bacon grease next to the stove. Maybe I'm flirting with death, but death by bacon grease seems like the way to go out.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 5/25/2018 at 4:04 PM, TornACL said:

4 cups?  I highly doubt that. 

On 5/25/2018 at 2:40 PM, Brisketexan said:

You gotta stick with PLAIN AND SIMPLE at Juan in a Million.

The crispy tacos are the classic, solid execution of the style.  And -- hear me out -- their refried beans are the best on this side of the Rio Grande.  Made with real lard (and I suspect, bacon grease).  They're fantastic.

Their breakfast tacos (regular, not the big monstrosity) are good, simple versions of the classics.  Not earth-shaking, but very solid.

Everything else is pretty pedestrian.

Yup. I can’t put my finger on it but the Don Juan has this weird (metallic?) taste to it. Order individual tacos though and they’re solid

On 5/25/2018 at 3:04 PM, TornACL said:

We live down the street from a Chuy's and I just can't go there anymore because I feel so bloated when I leave.  I usually just get the baja tacos and eat some chips beforehand, but it kills me every time.

• 4 months later...
On 5/24/2018 at 10:17 AM, TheAuditor said:

Almost all the skirt steak you can buy in the US is inside skirt.  Most outside skirt is exported - long term Japanese purchasing contracts doing most of the damage  and remainder goes to restaurants.  Last time I saw outside skirt for sale was at Central Market and it was $19/pound.....for skirt steak....First time I ever had fajitas was in 1980 at the Round-Up in Pharr, Tx,.  Hyatt made them famous in the early 80's in Austin.   

Ah...many fond memories of the Fish Soup, massive Fried Shrimp, and those insanely good Botana Platters. 

On 4/16/2018 at 2:32 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

Matts El Rancho - got broken glass in my Enchilada back in ‘07, never been back

Trudys - loved this place in college but holy shit have they gone down hill. 

Pinthouse Pizza’s pizza is garbage

Gueros is just OK. The last time I went it was actually enjoyable

Jack Allens kitchen is slowly going the way of Z Tejas

Moonshine, South Congress Cafe, and Stiles Switch are all up there for me also

Finally tried Jack Allen's a few weeks ago for lunch and was extremely underwhelmed... It was without whelm.

• Like 1

New place here, but my wife (no pics) and I went to Lin's for the dim sum on Sunday.  It was incredibly overpriced for dim sum and not particularly good.  The sui mai was pretty good; the dumplings, which is apparently what they are known for, were just okay; and the luo bo gao was breaded and fried for some reason.  When it came out we both had "the fuck am I looking" at face.  The best way I can describe it is mediocre dim sum made by Asian people for white people.  

12 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

New place here, but my wife (no pics) and I went to Lin's for the dim sum on Sunday.  It was incredibly overpriced for dim sum and not particularly good.  The sui mai was pretty good; the dumplings, which is apparently what they are known for, were just okay; and the luo bo gao was breaded and fried for some reason.  When it came out we both had "the fuck am I looking" at face.  The best way I can describe it is mediocre dim sum made by Asian people for white people.  

i've not been but the pictures i've seen from there are not especially alluring.  and the prices are ridiculous for what you get.  

• 6 months later...
On 4/16/2018 at 2:29 PM, Longhornfan1024 said:

Kyoten is my suggestion for high end sushi in Austin.  

Just following up here to say that since moving to Chicago, Kyoten has been named a James Beard semi-finalist, best new restaurant in Chicago by Chicago Mag, and one of the best new restaurants in the US by GQ.  Chef Otto will be re-opening Kyoten in Austin this summer with a new chef he's been training.  Hopefully it's close to as good as it used to be and the current Chicago location is.  

On 10/22/2018 at 10:39 AM, Longhornfan1024 said:

Been several times (gf used to work very close).    The service consistently and wholly sucks the massive dong.  

On 10/21/2018 at 2:55 PM, Texas007 said:

Finally tried Jack Allen's a few weeks ago for lunch and was extremely underwhelmed... It was without whelm.

BLT sliders made with pork belly and fried green tomatoes.  worth it for that alone.  unless they stopped making them, I haven’t been in a while. 

Jeffrey's has gone from overrated in my opinion to great again.

Ate there 2 nights ago and meal was fantastic.  Deviled eggs with shaved truffles for app and wagyu tenderloin for main course.  Paired with a nice Malbec.  

Been going there for many years and last several have not been fantastic, but seems to have regained its form.  Place was packed and a considerable amount of local talent.

Will go again next week.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 2:55 PM, Texas007 said:

jack allens is like a z tejas.  decent but never been raved about, so hard to call it overrated.  its rated about right.  kind of an upscale bennigans or chilis. try his seafood place across the street.  it's not overrated, imo.

• Like 1