Overrated Austin restaurants?

Chet Steadman

5 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

Re: mighty fine- Rudy's might be the only restaurant in Austin that varies more in quality from location to location. The best MF is arbor walk. It's pretty much the only one I feel I get a consistently moist burger.

The Arbor Walk Mighty Fine is delicious 

I love a big-ass gourmet $15 burger sometimes.  I love a $2.50 thin patty bowling alley burger sometimes.  I won't pay $10 for the bowling alley burger.  And as far as gourmet burgers, once you get above $12-15, you're wasting money.

Not sure about that. I have had some steakhouse burgers made with dry aged beef that I felt were worth more than $25. But most of them are not worth it.

On 4/17/2018 at 4:35 PM, Hank_Hill said:

While we’re on the subject, how do people feel about ABGBs pizza? BLUEBERRIES AAAHHHHHH

Shockingly bad, soggy, nasty, worthless crust that totally ruins the otherwise fine ingredients. I've stopped ordering the pizza.

That said, I love ABGB for the beer and the hanging out factor and frequent it often when I'm in Austin. But that pizza SUCKS and I wish it didn't because I love pizza.

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

Re: mighty fine- Rudy's might be the only restaurant in Austin that varies more in quality from location to location. The best MF is arbor walk. It's pretty much the only one I feel I get a consistently moist burger.

Arbor Walk is our go-to. We did stop at the one up off 1431 on our way to a hockey game, and it seemed to be of similar quality.

We like it.  And look, I'm happy when my wife says "I'm craving a burger, let's go to Mighty Fine."  At least she's not suggesting we go to the new location of "LETTUCE! A high concept salad experience [that costs $18 a bowl and leaves you hungry]!"

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:37 AM, Red Six said:

I don't think most of you know what "overrated" means.

99 percent of the places mentioned here are casual restaurants where you can get a plate of food and a drink or two for $20. Would any of you really suggest Denny's or IHOP over Magnolia or Kerby; or Chili's over Maudie's or Trudy's?

Most of you are wrong. Except for Guero's. That place sucks.

I understand the spirit of debate, but yall are spoiled.  Austin has a fantastic food scene.  Every time I go to Austin I'm amazed at how competitive and creative the food scene is.  Makes me very jealous.  I live in the east bay and have to say the food scene largely is abysmal.  Sure there are placed to go in the city (SF) and Napa, etc, but considering prices, parking, and especially traffic, it's not reasonable to do expect for a special occasion.  When you talk about placed you might go on a weekday to get a good dinner after work, it's largely chains.  There's a reason why people here think In and Out is "amazing."  They don't know any better.  I'd have to say that creativity is not valued or rewarded here either.  The one off restaurants largely serve food that's interchangeable with a chain.  No better or different.  There's very little "local fare" or regional specialties.  You guys have great BBQ, CFS, Tex Mex, kolaches, breakfast tacos, etc.  For being near the ocean the seafood is nonexistent, unless you are willing to spend $$$.  There is good authentic ethnic food here since you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Mexican, Indian, Philippino or Vietnamese, but yall have enough of that too.

Just now, Lhorn said:

I understand the spirit of debate, but yall are spoiled.  Austin has a fantastic food scene.  Every time I go to Austin I'm amazed at how competitive and creative the food scene is.  Makes me very jealous.  I live in the east bay and have to say the food scene largely is abysmal.  Sure there are placed to go in the city (SF) and Napa, etc, but considering prices, parking, and especially traffic, it's not reasonable to do expect for a special occasion.  When you talk about placed you might go on a weekday to get a good dinner after work, it's largely chains.  There's a reason why people here think In and Out is "amazing."  They don't know any better.  I'd have to say that creativity is not valued or rewarded here either.  The one off restaurants largely serve food that's interchangeable with a chain.  No better or different.  There's very little "local fare" or regional specialties.  You guys have great BBQ, CFS, Tex Mex, kolaches, breakfast tacos, etc.  For being near the ocean the seafood is nonexistent, unless you are willing to spend $$$.  There is good authentic ethnic food here since you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Mexican, Indian, Philippino or Vietnamese, but yall have enough of that too.

I'm always amazed when I go to Austin and with all the options you have, the parking lot for the Golden Corral is packed.

But, 1. Hopdoddy. Overrated AF. $20+ for burger fries and a drink? It's not that f'n good. I'd rather get BBQ for that price point.

Not sure it’s fair to argue overrated on the basis of price. Lots of places serve a burger/fries for a similar price. Besides, the term overrated suggests that public perception is greater than it should be. This is unrelated to price.

If there was a thread about overpriced restaurants then maybe your Hopdoddy mention would be more fitting, although even then, the line out the door would suggest they have the value of their food figured out.

2 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

Crown & Anchor reminds me of finals and senior projects. I have a hard time going back as a result.

Reminds me of law school, and I love going back, although not as much as like.  I've never thought of it as over or underrated.  It's a classic Austin place to get a beer and some pub food without a significant douche factor. 

3 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

Crown & Anchor reminds me of finals and senior projects. I have a hard time going back as a result.

I love going back because it reminds me of that feeling I would get when I finished all my law school finals for the semester. I remember going there with friends after my first semester and feeling like I was floating because so much stress had just rolled off my shoulders and I knew I didn't have a serious obligation for the next 4 weeks. I miss those days.

6 hours ago, Underdog said:

Never cared for Mighty Fine, found them to be bland. 

This, but as far as a thick burger goes I won’t eat a med or med well patty and like it anywhere. Their burger cooking machine is set to that setting for all of their burgers. If you ask for med-rare they will tell you it’s at least a 14 min wait for that, can’t change the machine setting. Hand cooked and med rare is a solid thick burger entry. 

I don't understand the Y Mas obsession on Surly/Shaggy.  I also think every food critic in this city overrates Olimaie.   

It seems like most on this thread are basing an "overrated" assessment on  how crowded a place is, but you don't really know everyone's intent in eating there.  I go to Stile Switch because it is close to my house and open for dinner (unlike many better BBQ spots).  Maybe all the dudes eating at Ranch 616 know the food is meh but are just there for the eye candy.  Maybe the olds waiting in line at Chez Zee will overpay for so so brunch because they like the piano player and the magician.   

25 minutes ago, Ollie Slatt said:

I don't understand the Y Mas obsession on Surly/Shaggy.  I also think every food critic in this city overrates Olimaie.   

It seems like most on this thread are basing an "overrated" assessment on  how crowded a place is, but you don't really know everyone's intent in eating there.  I go to Stile Switch because it is close to my house and open for dinner (unlike many better BBQ spots).  Maybe all the dudes eating at Ranch 616 know the food is meh but are just there for the eye candy.  Maybe the olds waiting in line at Chez Zee will overpay for so so brunch because they like the piano player and the magician.   

Great post. 

Ex. I’m going to y mas for the regular dinner or breakfast tacos (RIP) and Serrano salsa. It’s quick and cheap and delivers a near perfect version of said dishes. Not many people celebrate their entire catalogue 

I like y Mas because the chile gravy is delicious and their cheese enchiladas are fantastic.  Cheese enchiladas with standard brown chile gravy are the standard for Tex-Mex, and they do it very well.  If you don't like that dish at Enchiladas y Mas, then you don't like Tex-Mex.

3 hours ago, PantsTent said:

This 

<-- utee98

Hey, my younger brother!  Only class I never skipped was Ian Thomas for 338K.  YWW.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

I like going to Hopdoddy and Home Slice but both are overrated.

Went to Players before the closed and that was really, really overrated. Jester probably had better.

Agreed, but that Italian Sanwich is by far the best thing on the menu and outstanding in its own right (for an Italian). 

Pizza has never been the same since the early years and the inevitable ingredient cost cutting. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

Y mas would be fine if their service didn't suck ou cock and they didn't leave the plates under the warming nuker for 10 minutes. Last 3 visits the rice, beans and tops of the enchiladas were crunchy as fuck. I'm sure some of you fucking weirdos enjoy that and think it gives the place old school charm.