OU Recruiting 2022: Abnormal Mutations in OUDNA

texifornia

2 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

If he's thinking near DC, Clemson and UNC could be options. DJ U hasn't exactly locked down the job there and Howell is gone after becoming a top NFL prospect.

I can't see ND being the choice bc of NIL and QB track record. Ole Miss seems to be ponying up for Zach Evans, why not Caleb too..

Miami could also be an interesting sleeper depending on their OC choice. 

Rather than near DC, I'm thinking a more cultured space. UNC, ND, and Miami would qualify. Clemson and Oxford, MS wouldn't. Clemson's offensive staff is brand new, their offense sucked this year, DJ's still there. UNC's OL sucked, and the team wasn't great overall.

Williams went to a Catholic HS in DC. ND is the type of place that Gonzaga probably sends 5-6 kids to every year. I don't see why people think ND won't have big NIL. It's a national brand with wealthy alumni. The QB development track record isn't there, but they generally have a good OL, and Marcus Freeman is a charismatic guy who I think Williams could identify with.

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

Watch y'all get Jaxson Dart if Caleb goes to USC. The musical chairs are still spinning...

But honestly fuck Gabriel if I were a UCLA fan. Flipping this late is weak af. Guess they should've pressured him to sign earlier.

Fuck him is right.  Hope he breaks his fucking leg game one.  Bitchass.  We do have Ethan Garbers, who is talented.  But not a Gabriel level player.  DTR hasn't officially declared yet though.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, quigley said:

Rather than near DC, I'm thinking a more cultured space. UNC, ND, and Miami would qualify. Clemson and Oxford, MS wouldn't. Clemson's offensive staff is brand new, their offense sucked this year, DJ's still there. UNC's OL sucked, and the team wasn't great overall.

Williams went to a Catholic HS in DC. ND is the type of place that Gonzaga probably sends 5-6 kids to every year. I don't see why people think ND won't have big NIL. It's a national brand with wealthy alumni. The QB development track record isn't there, but they generally have a good OL, and Marcus Freeman is a charismatic guy who I think Williams could identify with.

I gotcha. Who knows. I would've thought the most likely spots were USC, OU, Miami (depending on OC), Ole Miss, UGA, UNC, in that order. With Clemson a sleeper. OU clearly out with the Gabriel news. But obviously I don't know how much location is a factor.

Honestly it'll probably end up just being what everyone expected from the beginning - USC. Just like Ewers and Texas. I mean why wouldn't Lincoln take him and let Dart walk? Kind of a no-brainer for him.

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I gotcha. Who knows. I would've thought the most likely spots were USC, OU, Miami (depending on OC), Ole Miss, UGA, UNC, in that order. With Clemson a sleeper. OU clearly out with the Gabriel news. But obviously I don't know how much location is a factor.

Honestly it'll probably end up just being what everyone expected from the beginning - USC. Just like Ewers and Texas. I mean why wouldn't Lincoln take him and let Dart walk? Kind of a no-brainer for him.

Riley would take him in a second. The family moved to F-in Norman from DC so they'll go anywhere. I think they're probably out on Riley for the following reasons:

- Riley didn't play Caleb even though there were rumblings that Caleb > Rattler in camp.

- Riley didn't figure out how to beat a zone.

- Riley was distracted all season.

- Riley up and left without a care. To a family this invested, this matters.

- USC will be much worse than OU was last year next year.

Pick your school on the poll.

13 minutes ago, quigley said:

Riley would take him in a second. The family moved to F-in Norman from DC so they'll go anywhere. I think they're probably out on Riley for the following reasons:

- Riley didn't play Caleb even though there were rumblings that Caleb > Rattler in camp.

- Riley didn't figure out how to beat a zone.

- Riley was distracted all season.

- Riley up and left without a care. To a family this invested, this matters.

- USC will be much worse than OU was last year next year.

Pick your school on the poll.

I don’t know where he’ll go, but I seriously doubt its USC. He’s more likely to go to Maryland and play for Locksley, in my opinion. 

10 minutes ago, quigley said:

Getting a QB that fits Lebby's system is a start 🤩

Lebby doesn’t have a system outside of the system of enabling rapes on a massive scale. Heupel and Kiffin had systems and Lebby somehow got to be associated in some capacity 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

Just now, RGBIII said:

Lebby doesn’t have a system outside of the system of enabling rapes on a massive scale. Heupel and Kiffin had systems and Lebby somehow got to be associated in some capacity 

OU already knows what Heupel going solo looks like remember? So Lebby added something positive to that.

Kiffin didn't hire Lebby out of charity either. So we're going to learn what Lebby's offense really is.

Regarding Lebby's time at Baylor, I've said repeatedly that, even if he wasn't part of the original crime (which posters here say he was), his championing of Briles afterwards was terrible.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, cochamps said:

But, but seven points isn't that bad vs that BU offense.  Right?

11 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Probably, I mean look how Lebby just blew the Big 12 out of the water in his bowl game.

Star starting quarterback gets injured in the first quarter after six passes. Damn you, Lebby. Salt. 

2 minutes ago, Constant said:

Star starting quarterback gets injured in the first quarter after six passes. Damn you, Lebby. Salt. 

Ole Miss is my second team and I had family at the game so I watched the whole thing. If you think Altmyer was the problem, you definitely didn't. 

It wasn't a morale thing either, all the same problems were happening before the injury.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Constant said:

Hopefully you didn't watch the game, at least then you'd have an excuse for this terrible post.

Altmyer was not the problem. They couldn't run for shit and he ran for his life all game. Lebby had no answers whatsoever.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Hopefully you didn't watch the game, at least then you'd have an excuse for this terrible post.

Altmyer was not the problem. They couldn't run for shit and he ran for his life all game. Lebby had no answers whatsoever.

Not all too concerned with bowl results predicting future results. Texas fans turn into the worlds best bowl analysts when they don’t participate in one. 

4 minutes ago, Constant said:

Not all too concerned with bowl results predicting future results. Texas fans turn into the worlds best bowl analysts when they don’t participate in one. 

We lived through the Tom Herman years, you don't need to lecture us about how bowl results translate.

You seem weirdly excited about a HC that hired Roof and Valai and that your downgrade at OC and QB is more of a legbreaking drop instead of the whole Grand Canyon.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Ole Miss is my second team and I had family at the game so I watched the whole thing. If you think Altmyer was the problem, you definitely didn't. 

It wasn't a morale thing either, all the same problems were happening before the injury.

12 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I chose to believe Lebby was focused on OU recruiting and preparation for 2022 and that without his attention, the Ole Miss offense crumbled.

Plus, SEC teams in bowl games don't care unless there's a championship on the line (unless they win of course; then SEC-SEC-SEC)

Prove me wrong.

12 minutes ago, Constant said:

Perhaps. But if you can’t see the cliff in front of you from the top of that damn Schooner it just means you are giving the driver a blowjob.

• Haha 5

18 minutes ago, texifornia said:

We lived through the Tom Herman years, you don't need to lecture us about how bowl results translate.

You seem weirdly excited about a HC that hired Roof and Valai and that your downgrade at OC and QB is more of a legbreaking drop instead of the whole Grand Canyon.

Roof, Valai, Murray, Chavis (no real experience in an on the field role). 

I just don't see it with this staff. 

Gundy, Bendenbaugh, and Bates are good coaches but there is a lot of dead weight on this staff. 

39 minutes ago, texifornia said:

14 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Roof, Valai, Murray, Chavis (no real experience in an on the field role). 

I just don't see it with this staff. 

Gundy, Bendenbaugh, and Bates are good coaches but there is a lot of dead weight on this staff. 

Venables could improve OU overall as team even with some regression in the offense.

Riley's an excellent offensive coach, and he transformed OU's recruiting.
But he'd met his ceiling at OU.

Riley's offense this year grossly underachieved, and his OL regressed every year since 2017 (that's the year Schmidt left for A&M; we're going to learn if this is correlation or causation). The OL's inability to create running lanes made it hard to punish soft zone defenses. Riley's best defense at OU was during the Covid season, and the performance of that defense was inflated because they really didn't any really good offenses.

Venables was a good (maybe not great) hire at OU. This is because even his WORST defenses at OU were better than any Grinch defenses at OU.
His defensive staff is MUCH, MUCH better than Grinch and Co at ALL the spots for which we have data.

DC: Roof (Venables) >> Grinch (obvious)
Safeties: Hall >> Grinch (safeties were consistently OU's weakest group throughout Grinch's tenure)
CB: Valai > Manning (Valai need only be average to be better than Manning, how was awful)
LB: Roof (Venables) >>> Odom (Venables has been the best LB coach in the country for 20 yrs)
DL: Bates >>> Thibs (LOL)
DE: Chavis -- Cain (my friend who's a Clemson booster predicted Chavis leaving with Venables when Venables was hired because Chavis is supposedly awesome; Cain is good so this may be a push)

The book on Lebby is unwritten. But Lebby won't need to be a savant if his OL is blowing people off the line. Getting Gabriel improves OU's chances to keep Mims, and makes the Sooners attractive to portal WR. I assume Mario Williams is gone too.

16 minutes ago, quigley said:

Venables could improve OU overall as team even with some regression in the offense.

Riley's offense this year grossly underachieved, and his OL regressed every year since 2017 (that's the year Schmidt left for A&M; we're going to learn if this is correlation or causation). The OL's inability to create running lanes made it hard to punish soft zone defenses. Riley's best defense at OU was during the Covid season, and the performance of that defense was inflated because they really didn't any really good offenses.

Venables was a good (maybe not great) hire at OU. This is because even his WORST defenses at OU were better than any Grinch defenses at OU.
His defensive staff is MUCH, MUCH better than Grinch and Co at ALL the spots for which we have data.

DC: Roof (Venables) >> Grinch (obvious)
Safeties: Hall >> Grinch (safeties were consistently OU's weakest group throughout Grinch's tenure)
CB: Valai > Manning (Valai need only be average to be better than Manning, how was awful)
LB: Roof (Venables) >>> Odom (Venables has been the best LB coach in the country for 20 yrs)
DL: Bates >>> Thibs (LOL)
DE: Chavis -- Cain (my friend who's a Clemson booster predicted Chavis leaving with Venables when Venables was hired because Chavis is supposedly awesome; Cain is good so this may be a push)

The book on Lebby is unwritten. But Lebby won't need to be a savant if his OL is blowing people off the line. Getting Gabriel improves OU's chances to keep Mims, and makes the Sooners attractive to portal WR. I assume Mario Williams is gone too.

That’s a lot of words.  Gutted roster and downgrade in coaching staff.   Already on a downward trajectory and limited bag / NIL game.  At lest two more losses next year is my thinking.   Not a total meltdown like the Horns last year but it is possible. 

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

That's awesome. The majority of your premise that the defensive staff will be better is based on Venables doing Roof's job and your actual defensive coordinator basically not doing anything. 

No and yes. There are definite upgrades at safety, CB, DL, and the DE coach is unproven but promising.

Bates will share the DC title with Roof. But regarding Roof. As I said earlier, Roof is the vessel that Venables will use to shape the LBs and defense. This will free Venables to do more head coach-type stuff. What other explanation is there for taking on a 60 yo White dude who's not a recruiter, not a developer, and not known for imaginative schemes?

Just now, Knighthawk said:

That’s a lot of words.  Gutted roster and downgrade in coaching staff.   Already on a downward trajectory and limited bag / NIL game.  At lest two more losses next year is my thinking.   Not a total meltdown like the Horns last year but it is possible. 

If you care to read word, the justification is there. The gutting of the roster is mainly in the defensive front 7, which underachieved this year and is getting massive improvement in coaching.

Granted, I don't know Baylor's attrition situation, but with Gabriel (assuming health) + portal DL + portal WR, I think OU will still be one of the favorites in the B12. Long time between now and then.

3 minutes ago, quigley said:

No and yes. There are definite upgrades at safety, CB, DL, and the DE coach is unproven but promising.

Bates will share the DC title with Roof. But regarding Roof. As I said earlier, Roof is the vessel that Venables will use to shape the LBs and defense. This will free Venables to do more head coach-type stuff. What other explanation is there for taking on a 60 yo White dude who's not a recruiter, not a developer, and not known for imaginative schemes?

"Roof is the vessel" - how does handing the things you are good at to someone with a proven track record of sucking out loud reduce your workload at all?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, quigley said:

About CB...Valai isn't average. He is closer to just as awful as Manning. 

And that closing on Roof is hilarious wishcasting. Nothing personal, people around here have done it a lot the last decade. 

"It's great that our head coach hired a completely useless old guy to be DC because that way he can use him as a vessel!" I mean seriously, just read what you wrote.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

About CB...Valai isn't average. He is closer to just as awful as Manning. 

And that closing on Roof is hilarious wishcasting. Nothing personal, people around here have done it a lot the last decade. 

"It's great that our head coach hired a completely useless old guy to be DC because that way he can use him as a vessel!" I mean seriously, just read what you wrote.

@texifornia @Chuckie Finster

Check your sarcasm meter Huck, et al.

I panned the Roof hire from the start.

ALSO, I am down on the Valai hire too, except for the fact, that did you see OU's CB and their coach? Better is a relative term. I remarked that Bob Stoops is the answer to OU's CB coaching hire. Stoops is certainly the most qualified guy in Norman.

Edited by quigley

19 minutes ago, quigley said:

@texifornia @Chuckie Finster

Check your sarcasm meter Huck, et al.

I panned the Roof hire from the start.

ALSO, I am down on the Valai hire too, except for the fact, that did you see OU's CB and their coach? Better is a relative term. I remarked that Bob Stoops is the answer to OU's CB coaching hire. Stoops is certainly the most qualified guy in Norman.

It was hard to parse the sarcasm with your boy Constant going full "suck on this" about a QB who was never as good as your last one and coming back from a big injury, plus a coach/staff most of this board sees as a pretty decent downgrade from your last one.

23 minutes ago, quigley said:

If you care to read word, the justification is there. The gutting of the roster is mainly in the defensive front 7, which underachieved this year and is getting massive improvement in coaching.

Granted, I don't know Baylor's attrition situation, but with Gabriel (assuming health) + portal DL + portal WR, I think OU will still be one of the favorites in the B12. Long time between now and then.

Dude.  The OU arrow is pointing down.  I’m not going to spend the time to explain it to you but everyone can see it except the ou faithful.  

i know the answer but why don’t you explain to me why LR left OU for USC?   

1 hour ago, quigley said:

I chose to believe Lebby was focused on OU recruiting and preparation for 2022 and that without his attention, the Ole Miss offense crumbled.

Plus, SEC teams in bowl games don't care unless there's a championship on the line (unless they win of course; then SEC-SEC-SEC)

Prove me wrong.

I’ll have whatever strain of meth he’s having. 

My fuck. 

9 hours ago, texifornia said:

It was hard to parse the sarcasm with your boy Constant going full "suck on this" about a QB who was never as good as your last one and coming back from a big injury, plus a coach/staff most of this board sees as a pretty decent downgrade from your last one.

I went a little hard in the paint on the vodka tonics last night. It happens. 

It’s also not all that surprising you folks think everything is worse. We’ll find out soon enough. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, quigley said:

Maybe my favorite part of OU fans excited to see (or okay with) Riley leaving because he had me this ceiling.

Winning the conference every year, multiple heismen & overall number 1 picks, numerous first round picks, one of the best offenses every year, NYE6/playoffs every year... That's a hell of a ceiling. As someone who was ready to see Mack Brown leave only to experience the Strong, Herman, & now looking down the barrel of another tenure that has started off as bad as either of the first to let me just say, be very VERY careful what you wish for & don't convince yourself that the new guy is going to be better than the old guy was simply because you wish for it.