Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

15 hours ago, David Dennison said:

And if you could think critically you would realize they aren't refraining because they think the song is racist. 

Changes regarding the whole black community at UT

- The replacement of the Eyes of Texas with a new song without racist undertones

Critical thinking on full display.

20 minutes ago, Ghost of Stevie Ray said:

The song was not considered synonymous with racism until the players put that seed in the heads of fans.  Regardless of its origins.  

who put it in the heads of the players? Larger agenda afoot here. 

4 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

who put it in the heads of the players? Larger agenda afoot here. 

Some Professor saying it’s racist origins without any context to how the song is viewed today.  

Tell me one person that thought the song was racist before the student athletes brought it to the negotiating table.

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Stevie Ray said:

Some Professor saying it’s racist origins without any context to how the song is viewed today. 

Completely false. Dr Gordon not only doesn't oppose the singing of The Eyes, he is responsible for a lot of the scholarship you read in defense of the song. A campaign of dishonesty and lies attacking a black UT professor? Shocking!

For his part, Gordon doesn’t currently have a position on whether or not the university should cease singing “The Eyes of Texas.” Either way, he says, the discussion is vital. “I just think people need to know what its roots are,” he says, “And then we should decide collectively what we want to do about that.”

An extremely intelligent and thoughtful man who better represents The University than the "fanbase" here.

- The song's title/theme was inspired by Robert E Lee.
- The song was introduced to campus at a minstrel show.

You can care about that or not, up to you, but that's the history.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Completely false. Dr Gordon not only doesn't oppose the singing of The Eyes, he is responsible for a lot of the scholarship you read in defense of the song. A campaign of dishonesty and lies attacking a black UT professor? Shocking!

For his part, Gordon doesn’t currently have a position on whether or not the university should cease singing “The Eyes of Texas.” Either way, he says, the discussion is vital. “I just think people need to know what its roots are,” he says, “And then we should decide collectively what we want to do about that.”

An extremely intelligent and thoughtful man who better represents The University than the "fanbase" here.

- The song's title/theme was inspired by Robert E Lee.
- The song was introduced to campus at a minstrel show.

You can care about that or not, up to you, but that's the history.

So not completely false...a professor put it in the kids head that it’s a racist song because of its origins.  They ran with it without any other considerations.

15 hours ago, immamac said:

but definitely not the "what you are allowed to think is racist or not" one...that one is definitely a no go for white folks

I am fascinated by this comment.  I think I understand it but I have no idea where the line, if there actually is one, gets crossed.  And I am not trying to call anyone out.  I'm genuinely curious about your answer based on your posts in this thread.

https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/06/03/1002589/technology-perpetuates-racism-by-design-simulmatics-charlton-mcilwain/

The above is an article written by a black professor from NYU.  He basically tries to argue that advancements in technology have been used by white people to discriminate against black people.  It is his opinion and he is entitled to it.

So if a black member of this site said that your avatar of Steve Jobs shows that you are racist because Jobs was one of the most famous and influential people in creating and advancing technology that is being used to and was specifically designed to systematically discriminate against black people and that unless you change your avatar you are a true racist and that person will accuse this site of racism (since you are a moderator) and post it all over social media.  Do you get to respond?  Defend yourself?  Change your avatar?  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of Stevie Ray said:

My position:  If I’m willing to sit there all game long watching this abortion of a football team derp their way through a game and I still stay standing to show my support....your ass can swallow your fucking pride and stand there to sing it with me.  

THATS THE POINT OF THE SONG....NOT SOME FAUX RACIST BULLSHIT!

But they aren't going to do that anymore. That's over.

3 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

Ironic that as the wheels are coming off the football program and it seems at least as likely that the coach will get fired for his part in burning down a 100+ year old bridge between the fans and athletes as he will for being a poor coach and arrogant prick.

Yeah, but he's damn close to the Mendoza Line.   So give him credit there. 

Business as usual.   Got it. 

20 minutes ago, Ghost of Stevie Ray said:

So not completely false...a professor put it in the kids head that it’s a racist song because of its origins.  They ran with it without any other considerations.

I don't know what you're hoping to accomplish by lying about black UT athletes and a black UT professor, but I can't imagine it's helpful to anyone.

Dr Gordon is teaching people the history of the song, which provides context, and I even quoted his own personal commentary regarding The Eyes. Dr. Gordon is a UT professor who has been there since 1988.

You should be a little more circumspect in your blind attacks on these people.

8 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I don't know what you're hoping to accomplish by lying about black UT athletes and a black UT professor, but I can't imagine it's helpful to anyone.

Dr Gordon is teaching people the history of the song, which provides context, and I even quoted his own personal commentary regarding The Eyes. Dr. Gordon is a UT professor who has been there since 1988.

You should be a little more circumspect in your blind attacks on these people.

I’m attacking the idea that this song has a negative connotation now instead of the overly positive one it had prior.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Ghost of Stevie Ray said:

I’m attacking the idea that this song has a negative connotation now instead of the overly positive one it had prior.  

Then do so without being dishonest and purposefully slandering UT professors and students. Also, it would help if you didn't take it so personally and make it about yourself.

We know now that players in the past knew about the song's history and didn't like it or want to do it but did it anyway. So when you say "overly positive" you're ignoring the information we have now that we had then. When some of them were smiling at you it wasn't because they felt a connection, it's because they had to.

I dread the thought of those young men out there being forced to either sing along or stand approvingly as a minstrel song is played because I want it played knowing they don't. That's abhorrent to me.

Also, sometimes learning about history changes things. That's part of education and learning. That's society and culture progressing and moving forward.

Don't be so afraid of knowledge and progress. It'll be OK.

You can still cherish the time you had with Uncle Greg even after you find out he had very specific tastes in literature. You can still be proud of the times you sang The Eyes as a community even if we make a (hopefully) smooth transition away from it.

Nothing gold can stay.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 4

23 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Then do so without being dishonest and purposefully slandering UT professors and students. Also, it would help if you didn't take it so personally and make it about yourself.

We know now that players in the past knew about the song's history and didn't like it or want to do it but did it anyway. So when you say "overly positive" you're ignoring the information we have now that we had then. When some of them were smiling at you it wasn't because they felt a connection, it's because they had to.

I dread the thought of those young men out there being forced to either sing along or stand approvingly as a minstrel song is played because I want it played knowing they don't. That's abhorrent to me.

Also, sometimes learning about history changes things. That's part of education and learning. That's society and culture progressing and moving forward.

Don't be so afraid of knowledge and progress. It'll be OK.

You can still cherish the time you had with Uncle Greg even after you find out he had very specific tastes in literature. You can still be proud of the times you sang The Eyes as a community even if we make a (hopefully) smooth transition away from it.

Nothing gold can stay.

Wow, you are so full of shit.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

One of my favorite things about this discussion is how articulate the "defenders" of The Eyes are. Makes for productive dialogue.

You called it "a minstrel song".  Yeah, you are inviting productive dialogue.  You're the worst.   As in literally, the worst poster on this site.  And it's not close.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, anacardo said:

It’s 80+% just a Sword of Damocles to bully (white) people.  American whites are among the least racist (under the old, correct, logically consistent definition of racism: exaggerated in-group preference and contempt for other ethnic groups) people on earth.  If you think otherwise you probably have very limited experience actually dealing with different people groups in scenarios where you can actually hear and experience their true opinions, whether in word or in deed.  

This had been my experience as well. My best friend growing up was Mexican and his family hated any Hispanic further south on the map. He always gets a big laugh about the issue of racism because he claims his people are more racist than anyone. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Sure it will. There will never be a shortage of rich Texas alums who want to show off.

The rich Texas alums that want to show off, ironically, are the guys paying $1000 at a Piano Bar to keep The Eyes of Texas playing.  You have absolutely lost your mind if you think there is a lot of money backing anything going on in athletics at the moment.

Just now, Skipper said:

The rich Texas alums that want to show off, ironically, are the guys paying $1000 at a Piano Bar to keep The Eyes of Texas playing.  You have absolutely lost your mind if you think there is a lot of money backing anything going on in athletics at the moment.

This being the key phrase. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Skipper said:

You called it "a minstrel song".

It was written for a minstrel show, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The pianist at my wedding played The Eyes and we all sang along. I've heard it at funerals. I've sung it at games and reunions and gatherings dozens and dozens and dozens of times. I'll sing it dozens more if Satan doesn't take my soul.

But the history is the history and it's not going to change. And the disapproval of our athletes and students today doesn't take a watt of shine off my memories connected to it. What happens out there isn't about me.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

This being the key phrase. 

Well David, "at the moment", we're in the middle of a global pandemic, facing the loss of $100MM in revenue before the season started, fired a bunch of employees, others took a paycut (several football coaches refused, and Herman and Shaka refused anything other than a deferral, so that's all gone over well within Belmont), we STILL suck at football, and our team, other than Sam, turned their back on the students and fans after yet another OU Loss.  Funds are being pulled left and right (Anwar reported approximately $25MM pulled since Saturday) so I dunno Bud, I would say things "at the moment" are pretty fucking dire.  I'm not sure who you think these wealthy "anti-eyes" alumni are that are going to magically appear to inject millions to stop the bleeding but I'm betting Belmont hopes they show up soon.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

Well David, "at the moment", we're in the middle of a global pandemic, facing the loss of $100MM in revenue before the season started, fired a bunch of employees, others took a paycut (several football coaches refused, and Herman and Shaka refused anything other than a deferral, so that's all gone over well within Belmont), we STILL suck at football, and our team, other than Sam, turned their back on the students and fans after yet another OU Loss.  Funds are being pulled left and right (Anwar reported approximately $25MM pulled since Saturday) so I dunno Bud, I would say things "at the moment" are pretty fucking dire.  I'm not sure who you think these wealthy "anti-eyes" alumni are that are going to magically appear to inject millions to stop the bleeding but I'm betting Belmont hopes they show up soon.

And it will pass. Change is hard. The University of Texas and the University of Texas football team will be just fine long after this is forgotten.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

17 minutes ago, Skipper said:

You called it "a minstrel song".  Yeah, you are inviting productive dialogue.  You're the worst.   As in literally, the worst poster on this site.  And it's not close.

He and DD are fucking trolls that you chuckle fucks keep responding to.  

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

This had been my experience as well. My best friend growing up was Mexican and his family hated any Hispanic further south on the map. He always gets a big laugh about the issue of racism because he claims his people are more racist than anyone. 

I’m Mexican. I can still remember my great aunts from Mexico giving me money and gifts for birthdays & Christmas and getting my darker-skinned sister absolutely nothing. In their own words they would say they liked me more because I looked white. There’s lots of racism between mexicans and Central Americans, and between white and dark skinned mexicans. However everyone thumping their chest about white Americans being “the least racist people on the planet” should perhaps open up a history book, visit 4chan or Twitter or Facebook or learn about who Patrick Crusius or Dylan Roof are.

• Like 1