Chik-fil-A vs New York City

Parliament

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annals-of-gastronomy/chick-fil-as-creepy-infiltration-of-new-york-city

New York has taken to Chick-fil-A. One of the Manhattan locations estimates that it sells a sandwich every six seconds, and the company has announced plans to open as many as a dozen more storefronts in the city. And yet the brand’s arrival here feels like an infiltration, in no small part because of its pervasive Christian traditionalism.

I noticed that word—community—scattered everywhere in the Fulton Street restaurant. A shelf of children’s books bears a plaque testifying to “our love for this local community.” The tables are made of reclaimed wood, which creates, according to a Chick-fil-A press release, “an inviting space to build community.” A blackboard with the header “Our Community” displays a chalk drawing of the city skyline. Outside, you can glimpse an earlier iteration of that skyline on the building’s façade, which, with two tall, imperious rectangles jutting out, “gives a subtle impression of the Twin Towers.”

This emphasis on community, especially in the misguided nod to 9/11, suggests an ulterior motive. 

It’s worth asking why Americans fell in love with an ad in which one farm animal begs us to kill another in its place. Most restaurants take pains to distance themselves from the brutalities of the slaughterhouse; Chick-fil-A invites us to go along with the Cows’ Schadenfreude.

Defenders of Chick-fil-A point out that the company donates thousands of pounds of food to New York Common Pantry, and that its expansion creates jobs. The more fatalistic will add that hypocrisy is baked, or fried, into every consumer experience—that unbridled corporate power makes it impossible to bring your wallet in line with your morals. 

That may have been true in 1995, when Chick-fil-A was a lowly mall brand struggling to find its footing against the burger juggernauts. Today, the Cows’ “guerrilla insurgency” is more of a carpet bombing. New Yorkers are under no obligation to repeat what they say. Enough, we can tell them. NO MOR.

I bet this guy is fun at parties.

That's one of the dumbest things ever written.  You either want to eat a piece of breaded chicken or you don't.  If you don't, fine.  But don't pretend that it was deep fried by the Death Star.  Fuck off.  This is why wedgies were invented.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

Lmao what a dumbshit article. People like chick fil a because it tastes good. I couldn't personally care less if the people that own it are hardcore Christians. I just want some got dam chicken. 

31 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

If people actually knew how every possibly controversial dollar was spent at every big corporation, nobody would buy anything.

Agreed... (on both statements) as I am not concerned of what mattress company may have started from "imported indentured servants" 2 centuries before, nor if Ray Kroc or S. T. Cathy actually opposed "non-traditional marriage" 3 decades ago...

I just want my hot fries with chicken strips while I lay on my king sized mattress watching a few rerun episodes of House of Cards...

4 minutes ago, SmokeyBear1861 said:

New Yorker is now buzzfeed/jezebel tier click bait lol. Im the old media bias thread i posted about thier political bias but damn this is just strait bullshit.

Somehow you came up with a worse take than the op

• Fuck You 2

8 minutes ago, SmokeyBear1861 said:

How so?

I suspect it has something to do with your low intellect and propensity for conspiracy theories, but I haven't studied much about what causes people to have bad takes so that's just a guess. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, seven said:

I suspect it has something to do with your low intellect and propensity for conspiracy theories, but I haven't studied much about what causes people to have bad takes so that's just a guess. 

You didn't describe "my take" or your problem with it at all. You were in such a rush to jump to the character attacks. Sad!

3 hours ago, kopp0e said:

Agreed... (on both statements) as I am not concerned of what mattress company may have started from "imported indentured servants" 2 centuries before, nor if Ray Kroc or S. T. Cathy actually opposed "non-traditional marriage" 3 decades ago...

I just want my hot fries with chicken strips while I lay on my king sized mattress watching a few rerun episodes of House of Cards...

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

I like kale and broccoli.  But it’s “maple” flavor and that sounds disgusting on vegetables.  And the slaw was awesome.  

Slaw has a bunch of shit in it that’s good for you but it’s still not good for you. That’s a superfood

19 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I just had an anti-gay marriage spicy chicken sandwich from there yesterday. Tasted great. 

We may need a boycott to get a spicy chicken biscuit for breakfast though. Does a spicy breakfast option  somehow disrespect Jesus?