2018 Body Transformation Thread

17 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I started this trip at 212 in Jan '18.  I simply did lower calorie plus exercise.  I lost about 7 lbs/mo for the first 4 months, then hit a brick wall.  I did allow myself a little more cheating, but not much.  But if I did take off a pound or 2, I would gain them back eating half a sandwich.  I was stuck at about +/-183 for about 2 months.  Then last week it seemed to kick back in.  Down another 5 to 177.  Lowest I've been in a looooong time.  Just about where I want to be.  If I could get below 175, I'd be delighted.  Anyway, your body may be pushing back.  Keep at it and hopefully it gives in and lets you keep losing.  

I'm about at the weight now that I was for YEARS so I think my body thinks this is okay, that this is just a return to the old normal. I've gotten so accustomed to eating Keto though that I'm just going to keep doing what I've been doing and see what happens. Can't hurt, right? (Don't tell my Doc I said that)

15 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

I tried Keto. I don’t like eating that way. I like some carbs in my diet. I keep them low. I also like red wine and whiskey, both of which I am very moderate on due to the damn hangovers I get now.

I’m sitting at 216. It’s my new normal. I’m looking to drop to 206 over the next 6 weeks.

Keep up the good work you guys. It took me years to get to 240. I’m trying to get to 185ish in under a year.

Try DASH. Keto never worked for me for the same reasons. I’ve gone from 250 to 185 since late September and I’m still losing a little each week. 

Doc called today with part of my labs.  A1C was well in line at 4.9.  BP was 110/74 when I was at the office yesterday so already knew that.  As for LDL/HDL/Tri's, he told me on the phone that they were "elevated" and that he wants to see me in person for a follow up Thursday.  Wouldn't give me the numbers over the phone because he didn't want me playing Dr Google before we talk.  Said it isn't anything to be overly concerned about but wants to talk  in person.  Guess I'll report back Thursday afternoon...

Started keto this Monday.  Already down 6 lbs which I assume is water weight.  I'm 41, weigh 205(or I guess 199 now) and would like to be 180-185.  

Did sugar busters about 19 years ago when I was 22 and lost 41 lbs in 40 days.  From 210-169.  Settled in to 185 over the next few years  then 200 then 190 for a while.  The past 2 years, craft beer has killed me.  I work out a ton but haven't been able to get rid of the gut.

Funny thing is, I drink a decent amount, as in most nights but not huge quantity each night.  Usually crave a beer or wine every night, but haven't craved at all since I started.  

Probably going to have a few tonight and this weekend.  As far as liquor goes, I'm a bourbon and water and vodka-soda guy already so no worries there.

I assume Mich Ultra(nasty) is ok to have 2-3.  What about Cabernet?  I keep reading its ok to have a dry wine (I'd probably have 2 glasses max) but just am worried about it, especially with no health info on label.

Edited by Don Johnson

Been off Surly for a while. Came back to post on the ex-cop who murdered a Houston cardiologist in cold blood. Now down 90 pounds (from 324 to 234; 6'5") via fasting. Hoping to hit 100 before the Maryland game. I was hard core for Jan through April. Took a few months off for healthy eating. Now back on the fasting train. 

Bernard

• Like 6

Got the labs from the doc.  Of the 27 metrics he screened for, the only three that came back  out of range were LDL, HDL and total cholesterol.  LDL is high at 176, HDL is low at 49 and total cholesterol is high at 250.  So my total cholesterol/HDL cholesterol rating of 5.1 is just above the range he wants me under (5.0).  No statins or medication at this point but he does want me to increase my exercise.  Yeah, probably should have been doing that this whole time anyway, lol.  Pretty pleased that every other metric, including A1C, triglycerides and testosterone were within expected or better than expected range.

As of this morning, I'm at 184.7.  That is 37 pounds down since May 14 when I started this and hits the goal I was looking for before heading to Aruba Sunday.  I'll probably put on 5 - 8 pounds on vacation but it will come right back off when I get back and get hardcore back on the wagon.  I'll add exercise in and see where the cholesterol readings are in 90 days at my next follow up.

Keep up the great work everyone!

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Started keto this Monday.  Already down 6 lbs which I assume is water weight.  I'm 41, weigh 205(or I guess 199 now) and would like to be 180-185.  

Did sugar busters about 19 years ago when I was 22 and lost 41 lbs in 40 days.  From 210-169.  Settled in to 185 over the next few years  then 200 then 190 for a while.  The past 2 years, craft beer has killed me.  I work out a ton but haven't been able to get rid of the gut.

Funny thing is, I drink a decent amount, as in most nights but not huge quantity each night.  Usually crave a beer or wine every night, but haven't craved at all since I started.  

Probably going to have a few tonight and this weekend.  As far as liquor goes, I'm a bourbon and water and vodka-soda guy already so no worries there.

I assume Mich Ultra(nasty) is ok to have 2-3.  What about Cabernet?  I keep reading its ok to have a dry wine (I'd probably have 2 glasses max) but just am worried about it, especially with no health info on label.

Cab is fine in limited quantities. I wouldn't imagine 2 glasses wrecking havoc on your ketosis. My gf and I have wine on occasion, but when I drink I try to stick with hard liquor and a carb free mixer. Don't forget to factor in the calories though if you are also counting them.

Edited by Shenanigans
Quote fail
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, lonestarsooner said:

Got the labs from the doc.  Of the 27 metrics he screened for, the only three that came back  out of range were LDL, HDL and total cholesterol.  LDL is high at 176, HDL is low at 49 and total cholesterol is high at 250.  So my total cholesterol/HDL cholesterol rating of 5.1 is just above the range he wants me under (5.0).  No statins or medication at this point but he does want me to increase my exercise.  Yeah, probably should have been doing that this whole time anyway, lol.  Pretty pleased that every other metric, including A1C, triglycerides and testosterone were within expected or better than expected range.

As of this morning, I'm at 184.7.  That is 37 pounds down since May 14 when I started this and hits the goal I was looking for before heading to Aruba Sunday.  I'll probably put on 5 - 8 pounds on vacation but it will come right back off when I get back and get hardcore back on the wagon.  I'll add exercise in and see where the cholesterol readings are in 90 days at my next follow up.

Keep up the great work everyone!

Whereas my endo didn't even mention my lipids when I had my appt last week.  My HDL is 29, and your doc considers your 49 low. Ha! 

I don't think your numbers as bad.  HDL a little higher, but the others aren't bad in and of themselves.

12 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

176 for LDL is not a high number.

Interesting to hear you say this T’Boo. Can you expound? Doc wants my LDL under 99 and my HDL over 61 according to the print out of the labs. That also matches all the literature I’ve come across on dr Google.  

Edited by lonestarsooner

No worries at all T’Boo. Easy to do. Lots of what I’ve read has mentioned that your cholesterol can go up on Keto the first couple of months. Doc even mentioned that might’ve the case. He wasn’t overly concerned. Hopefully it will come down when I add in exercise when I get back from vacation. 

2 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

Right there with you Callo.  I have blown it this summer and all the work I did to lose my weight I have wasted.  I am right back where I started.  Starting over as of today. 

I haven't blown everything, but I did add 15 pounds since winning a weigh-loss challenge in mid-March.  After the challenged, I yo-yoed in a 10 pound range until the end of June - losing during the week and gaining back on the weekends.  Since June it's been an upward progression.  Good luck Moby.  Get consistent and stay that way.

Suggestions on how to keep bile flowing while fasting? I want to get back to my weekly 4-day fasts, but don't want to sludge up my gallbladder by not using it.

I ordered some citrus bitters and some natural pill that has dandelion and other natural liver/gallbladder supplements.

I'm on Ursodiol 2x a day. And I'm going to start drinking a teaspoon of malic acid powder in 32oz of water per day. Both are supposed to soften/dissolve stones.

The bitters make the gallbladder empty its bile without ingesting a bunch of calories/fat. I'm hoping this will allow me to fast.

Sauces have been killing me on keto lately. BBQ sauce and A1 are sneaky carbs. Just too much of it. I think fasting is the only thing working for me because it guarantees I'm not eating carbs. Otherwise, my keto diet is faulty, and I need to start tracking.

20 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I've thought about a 36 hour fast to get back into keto, but we'll see.  Stomach is growling already and it's only been about 16 hours.  At worst, I'll start strict keto diet this afternoon and it'll take a little longer.

I was doing good until about 7:00 last night.  I picked up a roasted chicken from Costco for the family to eat and started carving it up.  There is some universal rule that when you  carve poultry, you have to pull scraps left on the bones - so damn good.  Ended up eating some chicken and broccoli with butter.  Finished the night with a few blackberries and raspberries.  24 hours fast was a good start.  

Up this morning with a 2 mile run under my belt and I'm ready for a nap.

I usually hop on the scale at least once a day, frequently twice. I skipped yesterday, lol. I went off the rails bad on Sunday. I've had cheat meals here and there but I have never overeaten, just went off Keto and had more carbs than I'm supposed to have. Not Sunday. I went across the street to the Mexican restaurant and got one of their appetizers to go. A platter full of tortilla chips covered in everything imaginable and I ate 95% of that motherfucker. Oops! Oh well, it's been what, 6-7 months now? I was due. So I'm back at it. Still stalled last time I checked, hanging out between 235-240 though more and more it's been closer to the 235. I'm thinking I'll crack into 234 soon which will be nice, I kinda of track my progress by 5 lb increments and that's the next one to get to. Keep at it guys, it's a long road back but one day at a time we'll get there.

On 8/6/2018 at 11:31 AM, Jerry Callo said:

I've thought about a 36 hour fast to get back into keto, but we'll see.  Stomach is growling already and it's only been about 16 hours.  At worst, I'll start strict keto diet this afternoon and it'll take a little longer.

Have you tried 16/8 fasts? Just eating between an 8 hour window everyday, e.g. noon to 8pm.

This works really good for me if I drink a lot of coffee in the morning. I can’t fast for any longer without getting grumpy.

When I started Keto, I was 295 and eating small meals throughout the day. I lost 70 pounds slowly the first year. 

Then I started doing 16/8 (eating the exact same amount of food daily as Year 1, same activity level) and I lost 40 pounds in 3 months. It was unreal. I know a lot of people do 24-36 hour fasts a few days a week, but 16/8 really helps me do it everyday and see constant results.

Edited by MrBig
Spelling
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Have you tried 16/8 fasts? Just eating between an 8 hour window everyday, e.g. noon to 8pm.

This works really good for me if I drink a lot of coffee in the morning. I can’t fast for any longer without getting grumpy.

When I started Keto, I was 295 and eating small meals throughout the day. I lost 70 pounds slowly the first year. 

Then I started doing 16/8 (eating the exact same amount of food daily as Year 1, same activity level) and I lost 40 pounds in 3 months. It was unreal. I know a lot of people do 24-36 hour fasts a few days a week, but 16/8 really helps me do it everyday and see constant results.

I'm doing the 16/8.  I was just trying to burn through the carbs faster in the beginning.

I lost 35 pounds in the first three months of this year doing keto and IF, won another weight loss challenge, then got lazy again.  Decided to start again and hopefully stay on track for a while.

I'm so frustrated lately.

Lazy Keto just doesn't seem to work anymore.  Only fasting seems to work.  And even then...not always.  I'm on OMAD this week and have gained weight.  Broccoli and meat once a day.  Gain weight. Yay.

The stuff I ordered for my gallbladder (mentioned above in my last post) should be here soon.  Once I have it, I may start easing back into extended fasting.  2:5, 3:4, then back to 4:3 if everything seems to be working ok (i.e. no more damn attacks).

I'm also restricting my menu.  Meats. Cheeses. Broccoli. Butter.  No more nuts, A1, or bbq sauce.

I have to figure this out.  No reason I should be stalling at this weight.

Edited by Longhorn Al

6 hours ago, Longhorn Al said:

Lazy Keto just doesn't seem to work anymore.  Only fasting seems to work.  And even then...not always.  I'm on OMAD this week and have gained weight.  Broccoli and meat once a day.  Gain weight. Yay.

The stuff I ordered for my gallbladder (mentioned above in my last post) should be here soon.  Once I have it, I may start easing back into extended fasting.  2:5, 3:4, then back to 4:3 if everything seems to be working ok (i.e. no more damn attacks).

I'm also restricting my menu.  Meats. Cheeses. Broccoli. Butter.  No more nuts, A1, or bbq sauce.

I have to figure this out.  No reason I should be stalling at this weight.

I feel you man. I'm stalling out at 200 now. It can be frustrating but keep in mind where you used to be compared to where you are now.

I've started lifting regularly again but might need to really start tracking my calories if I want to push further.

Keep it up!

On 8/9/2018 at 2:28 AM, Longhorn Al said:

Don't be a slave to the scale. It weighs a lot more than just your fat. All the food in your stomach gets weighed. All the shit in your bowels gets weighed. Hydration changes can make a big difference. Your body like 70% water. One pint a water weighs a pound. If you're eating broccoli and meat once a day in reasonable quality, you are going to burn fat. Guaranteed. Eat that every other day or every third day and you'll burn fat even faster. 

Bernard

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Bernard said:

Don't be a slave to the scale. It weighs a lot more than just your fat. All the food in your stomach gets weighed. All the shit in your bowels gets weighed. Hydration changes can make a big difference. Your body like 70% water. One pint a water weighs a pound. If you're eating broccoli and meat once a day in reasonable quality, you are going to burn fat. Guaranteed. Eat that every other day or every third day and you'll burn fat even faster. 

Bernard

I'm definitely going to keep OMAD through this weekend.  Monday, I may start doing one meal every 2 days.  I guess that's 47:1. 

I've got my bitters and liver/gallbladder support pills.  I'll take that along with time-released magnesium, which helps relax the ducts in that area.  Hopefully that will prevent anymore attacks.

I like fasting and I want to keep doing it.  Really helps not having to think about food and making choices.

Watching the scale drop is great motivation, but it sucks when the scale doesn’t move. Get some ketosis piss sticks. No matter what the scale says, when see the stick turn any shade of dark you know damn well your fat cells are shedding fatty acids and your liver is converting them to ketones to fuel your body. It’s good positive feedback that what you’re doing is working. 

After poking several new holes in my old belt, I recently bought a new one. Definitely a good feeling. I’m going to see a bunch of folks next Saturday at the Texans pre-season game that I haven’t seen since December. Many will be quite surprised to see me down 90+ pounds. Another good feeling.

Bernard

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Bernard said:

Watching the scale drop is great motivation, but it sucks when the scale doesn’t move. Get some ketosis piss sticks. No matter what the scale says, when see the stick turn any shade of dark you know damn well your fat cells are shedding fatty acids and your liver is converting them to ketones to fuel your body. It’s good positive feedback that what you’re doing is working. 

After poking several new holes in my old belt, I recently bought a new one. Definitely a good feeling. I’m going to see a bunch of folks next Saturday at the Texans pre-season game that I haven’t seen since December. Many will be quite surprised to see me down 90+ pounds. Another good feeling.

Bernard

I use a blood meter for ketones.  Sunday/Monday I was only like 0.1 or 0.3.  I'm going to test later and see if it's any higher.  I don't seem to get very high even when I'm very strict.

5 hours ago, Bernard said:

Describe that one meal. 

Bernard

I made a chicken cordon bleu casserole and have eaten that 3 days in a row.

Chicken breast, ham, heavy cream, cream cheese, swiss, parmesan, mayo, garlic powder, pepper, chicken broth, and pork rinds. 

Second night I added sour cream and hot sauce. Last night, I added a little extra mayo. Both nights I also added sharp cheddar because the swiss was too plain.

Edited by Longhorn Al

On 8/7/2018 at 11:40 AM, Lobwedgephil said:

For all you keto guys, you're welcome. 

https://rebelcreamery.com

So I ordered this and it just was delivered. 

The chocolate, for example is (per serving):

11 carbs

3 dietary fiber

7 sugar alcohol

so 1 “net carb”

is that for real Keto?  Are sugar alcohols allowed?  Don’t want to blow what I’ve done. 

22 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

So I ordered this and it just was delivered. 

The chocolate, for example is (per serving):

11 carbs

3 dietary fiber

7 sugar alcohol

so 1 “net carb”

is that for real Keto?  Are sugar alcohols allowed?  Don’t want to blow what I’ve done. 

Chocolate is 6 net carbs per pint, but yeah about 1 per serving.  Mine got delivered today as well, waiting to try until tonight. Really all depends on your macros and what else you have eaten for the day. But having 1 or 2 servings should have no issue on your ketosis from what I have read about it. I will try tonight and will measure my ketosis level as well to see how it reacts. 

I woke up an hour ago.  Just took my ketones and glucose.  0.3 and 107.  My glucose is probably because of the dawn phenomena. It's usually in the high 90s.

All my complaining this week must have worked.  I lost 3 lbs since yesterday, and almost 5 since Monday. I'm at a new low weight for this year.

Edited by Longhorn Al
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Longhorn Al said:

I woke up an hour ago.  Just took my ketones and glucose.  0.3 and 107.  My glucose is probably because of the dawn phenomena. It's usually in the high 90s.

All my complaining this week must have worked.  I lost 3 lbs since yesterday, and almost 5 since Monday. I'm at a new low weight for this year.

Also remember that the longer you are in ketosis, means your ketone level will go down.