2018 Body Transformation Thread

41 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

That's a lot of weight, dude. I know you feel like you're struggling with it at times but 68 lbs? That's impressive. Keep it up and don't get discouraged, there's going to be stalls and setbacks. Didn't none of us get into our bad shape overnight.

I know.  And I sometimes feel bad for feeling bad.  I see people struggling to lose 5 lbs, and here I am complaining because I'm not losing 5 lbs fast enough.

I measured last night.  First time in 2 months.  I first measured in mid-February, a month into my diet.  I measure neck, chest, upper arm, forearm, waist, hips, thigh and calf.

Overall, I've lost 16.5" since Feb.  1.0" of that was from my neck (no change), forearm (-0.5") and calf (-0.5").  I lost the rest from my core.  I've lost 3.5" off my waist (at the navel), and another 3.0" off my hips.  I've lost about 3" off my thighs and chest, as well.  That was nice to see.

First, I want to say how great the girls are who work at UT. They were smart, engaging, and made me feel right at home. They were really cute, too. ;)

The scan is easy and painless. It's an x-ray, but only 20% of the strength of a normal chest x-ray. Even thought UT has a pretty big table with a 450lb capacity, I was still a little too wide for the scan. My left arm had to be estimated by duplicating my right arm.

The scan lasts roughly 10 minutes. They talk to you to help the time pass. She asked a lot of questions about Keto and my fasting routine. She never made any negative comments. The other woman working there later agreed with everything, and said carbs and sugar are the culprit. She was happy to hear I had lost 68 lbs since starting Keto, and was onboard with fasting. It was nice to have positive discussion after breaking Rule #1 of Keto.

Results

349.8 lbs total mass (yes, I'm a fatass - but less of one since January!)

174.4 lbs fat mass

166.8 lbs lean mass

8.6 lbs bone mineral content

Lauren explained that my lean mass could be up to 15 lbs less than a person on a normal diet because Keto depletes the water in the muscles. That would put me around 180 lbs of lean mass, which is about what I expected. She said next time I get a scan to make sure a replicate today...be Keto and fasting.

My bone density compared to other men they've scanned was very good. I'm 3 standard deviations (or 30% more mass) than an average 30 year old.

Lean Mass Index puts me in the 90th percentile for men between 23-75 years old. She said this means that even if I did lose some muscle from my diet/fasting, I'd still be fine.

%Fat in my different body zones:

Arms: 41.0%

Legs: 44.5%

Trunk: 57.9%

Subsets of Trunk:

Android (lower belly): 62.8%

Gynoid (hips/glutes): 46.9%

This tells me what I already know. Most of my fat is in my gut.

Visceral Fat was unfortunately not calculated. I think I'm too fat for the computer. She said it didn't really matter because overall fat loss will decrease visceral fat anyway.

Estimated Caloric Expenditure based on mass only:

Sedentary: 2188-2664 for maintenance.

She agreed that thyroid and hormonal issues can decrease this number, and that it's just an estimate based on lean mass.

I signed up for another test tomorrow that will give me an accurate metabolic rate. I'll breathe into a tube or something. 10 minutes per test, up to 3 tests. Should be interesting.

Both tests are $80 each for UT alumni ($90 for public).

Edited by Longhorn Al
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, El Diablo said:

That loss of water in the muscles is interesting and makes me wonder what  effects strenuous exercise has on that tissue. 

In my opinion (not a doctor) but this is why cardio exercise after a workout while on a diet will help you shed fat.  I do 30 to 40 minutes of intense lifting (Chest/Triceps, Back/Biceps, Shoulders/Legs) and also do crunches and obliques every day.  It's working for me.  Also allows you to build muscle quite a bit faster as there isn't water in your muscles.

On another note, I have yet to buy a new pair of jeans since I started this weight loss stuff.  I was in 42/32 Lucky Brand jeans.  I'd imagine I'm close to a 38 by now.  I fit in size 38 shorts I had in college.  I'd love to get in to the 210s and be in 34 or 36 for all my pants.  I'm still wearing 2X work shirts (no XL available at the office) and they are honestly starting to look a little big but I can't wear any of my khakis (had to get a new belt and the waste on my khakis will bunch up uncomfortably with a smaller belt) or button downs that I had for work.  I'm wearing jeans and under armor company shirts right now.  I'm also gaining definition in my legs which I haven't seen in a decade.  I'm having a lot of fun with this and love seeing almost immediate results.  Helps me stay motivated and my wife loves it.  But to be honest, I'm doing it for me and my son.  It's easier to lose weight while you're younger and I don't want to be 40 with a gut over my belt.

• Like 3

Officially 100 days in. Started at 240lb (5’9”). Now 209 lb.

(Calorie counting with loseit! App and gym which consists of 30 min elliptical + 20 min of weightlifting high reps. It maxing out)

Objective measures:

Blood pressure 130/86 ->120/76
HbA1C 7.1. -> 6.1 (started metformin)
Cholesterol HDL 36->41 (restarted atorvastatin)
LDL 165 -> 98
TG 300-> 140

Subjective measures: I feel great.
My goal was 200lb by Christmas. I’m ahead of schedule but willing to see how low this takes me.

• Like 3

Results of the RMR Test at UT.

I went ahead and took 3 tests. They tossed the highest and averaged the 2 others.

Test 1: 2450

Test 2: 2650

Test 3: 2370

Result: 2410

Estimated RMR based on body mass: 2706

Actual metabolism is ~300 fewer calories than calculated. Equals ~1/2 lb per week

Sedentary Lifestyle: 2772 - 3374 (Based on my past experiences, I'm definitely on the low end of that range)

Other websites RMR Calculations

BodyBuilding.com: 2528 (+118)

Shapesense.com: 3183 (+773)

Gigacalculator.com: 2886 (+476)

Howtogainweight134.com: 2534 (+124)

24hourfitness.com: 2900 (+490)

• Like 2

I'm 135.5 hours into my water fast.

I've now lost 11 pounds.  Just 4 days ago I was celebrating hitting a goal weight of 350 (seemed like it took me forever).  4 days later I'm at 339.  Crazy.

I know a lot is water weight, but definitely not all of it.  Already being Keto means I'm not losing glycogen.

I've got another 4.5 days to reach 10 total.  Excited to see how much more I can lose.  Then have a few days of Keto feasting, and start another 5-10 day fast.

• Like 1

Scale said 238.0 this morning. Of course that's going to bounce around but I know that last week I was very strict on the calorie intake and the Keto so I'm not surprised to see some weight loss. I do feel a bit dehydrated though so I'm upping the water intake just to be safe. It may affect my number on the scale but whatever, I'm not desperate.

• Like 2

This thread has been very motivating for me. Mostly just following, but figured I would share. Got on Keto following what was posted here, down about 29 pounds in a little less then 8 weeks. The loss has slowed down lately, but still losing every week. Hoping to loss another 35 by the end of the year. Thanks everyone who shares, really does motivate some people just reading. 

• Like 2

Started keto a month ago based on info here and the old site.  Started at 256 and weighed in at 244  this morning.  Goal is around 185.  I am late 40s and unfortunately doing this (losing 70 pounds) for the 2nd time.  It's not as quick as it was 7 or 8 years ago but need to get it done either way.

Agreed regarding the appreciation to those of you who consistently share progress / experience, it is motivating to me.  Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

I figured I was boring people with my "journal" in here.  Definitely not wanting to just ramble on as one would in a journal.

I've changed up my routine after losing the first 45 pounds.  The first 45 was lost by intermittent fasting (one meal a day with a snack) and following low carb/keto principles and just increasing my activity outside the walls of my house like getting out and walking, activities with kid and wife.  I hit the gym 10 days ago and have lost roughly 8 pounds since then.  Waking up at 4:45 was a shock at first but I'm getting used to it.  In the gym by 5 am, out at 6:10 and home to get ready for work.

I was at 265.2 this morning (shouldn't have cheated with pizza on Saturday but screw it, it was good).  51 pounds down total.  When I hit 250 I'm getting LASIK done.  One piece of advice I can give is to take all your timelines and completely throw it out the window.  Set realistic goals that are obtainable.

I would have given up by now if it was 3 years ago.  It takes a lifestyle change and motivation in ways that you wouldn't think (life insurance premiums being outrageous) and I don't want to be taking high blood pressure or diabetes meds when I'm 35.  I want to be the best possible me.

• Like 1

You're kicking ass Longhorn Al!

Pearland, keep informing us of how you're doing!

I don't comment much, but read this thread everyday.  I'm down to 223 from 256. Averaging a pound a week over the course of switching to keto.  Hoping to hit 200 by the end of the year.  Got an appointment for blood work on July 11.  Looking forward to the results.

Also, reading "Good Calories. Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes.  It is really interesting.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Masshole Horn said:

I don't comment much, but read this thread everyday.  I'm down to 223 from 256. Averaging a pound a week over the course of switching to keto.  Hoping to hit 200 by the end of the year.  Got an appointment for blood work on July 11.  Looking forward to the results.

Also, reading "Good Calories. Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes.  It is really interesting.

Thanks. So are you.  You'll definitely hit 200 by Christmas.

2 hours ago, Masshole Horn said:

Nice job so far!  I'm sure you'll hit 200.

I'm usually good about posting every 25-30 lbs lost and fasting, but figured i would post about going off the rails.  

Friday was in the middle of a 10 day fast.    But for some reason I knew i was going to eat.    So for dinner, with no one home, i went and got a buffalo chicken salad and potato chips.   Not ALL that bad, but for me, it was like a dam bursting.    I reverted back to just full on binge eating "if i already broke my fast, i might as well break it good" .   Had pizza and taco bell.

Saturday morning :  woke up, "okay i fucked up last night - but fast the next 2 days and you will be fine"  i told myself.     Cut to 11:00 where i go get popeye's fried chicken and red beans and rice - proceed to eat approx 4 pieces of chicken and all the red beans and rice.    For dinner I eat left over pizza and General Taos chicken that is sitting in the fridge from wife and kids.

Sunday morning:   "well, i already fucked up this weekend, might as well eat on sunday too"    lunch is a couple of pieces of fried chicken that was left in the fridge, and some cool ranch doritos.   Kids noticing that food is disappearing in the fridge "dad are you eating this weekend or something? where is my leftover X"  -  for dinner - go get pizza for the kids and hot wings, eat all the hot wings, and 1/2 the pizza.

Monday morning - its a new week - lets get on the scale to see what the damage is -  Oh FUCK - 17 lbs gained.  

Now i know i didn't really gain that much weight, its just all the carbs holding in water, and i fasted yesterday and already lost 7 of it.    But damn, when i go off the rails, i go off the rails.

Before fasting this sort of weekend could have sent me spiraling out of control and gain 30-40 lbs pretty quickly.     But with fasting i know all that weight will be off by the end of the week, and while i still beat myself up a little bit about the wasted week i will have this week towards my ultimate goal, i know that it will be gone and that i just need to keep on going.    I just need to figure out how to have a bad day without having 3 in a row.    It has always been a problem for me, and i still struggle.

• Like 1

During a weight loss challenge I dropped from 278 to 234.  Challenge ended in mid-March.  Since then, I've bounced up and down between ~ 237-245 eating good for a 4-5 days then indulging for 3-4 days.

Started to right the ship yesterday:  IF with keto meals, swam 2500 yards, biked 30 minutes and no alcohol.  Woke up this morning and ran 2.4 miles.  I signed up for a triathlon that takes place the last weekend of August, so I have to keep the exercise up.  Hopefully, I keep eating right and abstaining from alcohol.  If so, I should be 15-20 lighter on race day - which definitely makes a difference on the bike and run.

Haven't posted since my first post in this thread probably 8 weeks ago.  But have followed the thread pretty regularly.  LonghornAl and Pearlhorn, keep it up and keep posting.  Really enjoy following your journeys.  Keep posting and we'll keep reading!  As for me, I think when I posted last, I'd gotten back up to 221 in the months after Harvey fucked everything up.  Decided it was time to start doing something about it.  Ended up being a couple of more weeks before I actually did start working on it.  So on May 14, my wife and I started pretty strict Keto and IF.  As of this morning I'm down to 196.  Down 25 pounds and 4 inches in the waist in the past 6 weeks.  Broke the 200 mark early last week sometime.  It's the first time I've been sub-200 in probably 20 years.  Gotta admit, I thought it would be harder to stick to Keto than it has been.  I've never been a big breakfast person so IF was a no brainer and has been easy for me to stick to.  Original goal was to be down to 195 by this coming Saturday when we leave for a week on the beach in Destin.  Looks like I'm going to hit that.  Next goal is to get down to 185 by Aug 4 when we leave for a week on the beach in Aruba.  That's another 11 pounds in the next 5 weeks.  I should be able to do that as long as I don't take too much of a step back next week in Destin.  I don't plan on being quite as strict while on vacation with the kiddos next week but I don't want to go completely off the rails.  I'm hoping to simply not gain anything next week then get back to strict Keto when we get back.

Great job everyone and stay with it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr. Drummond said:

I'm usually good about posting every 25-30 lbs lost and fasting, but figured i would post about going off the rails.  

So for dinner, with no one home, i went and got a buffalo chicken salad and potato chips.     Had pizza and taco bell.

Saturday morning :  Cut to 11:00 where i go get popeye's fried chicken and red beans and rice     For dinner I eat left over pizza and General Taos chicken .

Sunday morning:     lunch is a couple of pieces of fried chicken that was left in the fridge, and some cool ranch doritos.    for dinner - go get pizza for the kids and hot wings, eat all the hot wings, and 1/2 the pizza.

Monday morning - its a new week - lets get on the scale to see what the damage is -  Oh FUCK - 17 lbs gained.  

yes-rudy1.gif

That's impressive.  Hang in there, you have come a long way and you are NOT the same person you used to be.  Get back on track and tell us when the 17 is gone.

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:11 AM, orange dream said:

Started keto a month ago based on info here and the old site.  Started at 256 and weighed in at 244  this morning.  Goal is around 185.  I am late 40s and unfortunately doing this (losing 70 pounds) for the 2nd time.  It's not as quick as it was 7 or 8 years ago but need to get it done either way.

Agreed regarding the appreciation to those of you who consistently share progress / experience, it is motivating to me.  Keep up the good work.

Orange, right there with you on being in the late 40s.  I don't plan on having to do this again.  Played baseball in college and stayed in the 180s all the way until my mid 30s.  Let myself go a bit and got up too 230 before I took a promotion to Tokyo and lived there for three years.  Between walking everywhere and eating better, I was back down to 200 in 2010 when we moved back to the states.  Somehow between 2010 and last year I let myself get all the way back up to 230.  Man it happens gradually if you aren't paying attention.  Was back down to 205 pre-Harvey.  I'm getting off the roller coaster.  Not going to let myself gain it back this time.  I never want to see a 2 as the first number on the scale again.  When I get to 180 by the end of the summer or early fall, I'm going to work on staying there.  Owe it to my wife and kiddos, much less myself, to stay in shape so I can enjoy life with them from here on out!

• Like 1

So I think I've hit a plateau.  I've been stuck at 265 for the past 3 or 4 days.  Got to reassess long-term goals so I don't get discouraged.  Remember what I said a few days ago about throwing timelines out the window?  Yeah, I have to do that again.  This is about long-term success, not the short term.  Stop getting on the scale every morning as well.  And keep lifting heavy weights.  Got to change my mindset for my own expectations.

Something occurred to me today that I've thought before but thought I'd bring it into this discussion and that is that to some degree I feel better when I'm a bit overweight. Not in a health way but there is a psychological component for me at least as a guy about literally being able to throw my weight around. I guess it goes back to being a kid/young adult when physical contact was a frequent thing and well, there's a reason being called a "lightweight" carries a negative connotation. It's literally harder to push a big guy around. Bluntly put, when I'm not carrying a lot of weight I feel less "manly", if that makes any sense. Just an observation on my own experience. Anyone else here have any similar feelings about that?

7 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Something occurred to me today that I've thought before but thought I'd bring it into this discussion and that is that to some degree I feel better when I'm a bit overweight. Not in a health way but there is a psychological component for me at least as a guy about literally being able to throw my weight around. I guess it goes back to being a kid/young adult when physical contact was a frequent thing and well, there's a reason being called a "lightweight" carries a negative connotation. It's literally harder to push a big guy around. Bluntly put, when I'm not carrying a lot of weight I feel less "manly", if that makes any sense. Just an observation on my own experience. Anyone else here have any similar feelings about that?

A lot of women feel the same way about men. Dad Bods are all the craze.  Or at least we tell ourselves that.

8 hours ago, El Diablo said:

I feel ya. However, when you hit a weight you may feel too skinny at, maybe hit the gym and put on some more muscle.

11 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Y'all need to keep it up.  I wouldn't worry about getting too skinny.  Keep kicking ass!

^^^^This. 

As of this morning I'm down to 194.9.  Made my goal of being at 195 by Saturday when we leave for Destin.  I'll take that in a heartbeat.  Onward and, well, downward, lol.  Everyone keep it up.  Y'all are doing awesome!

On 6/26/2018 at 11:15 AM, orange dream said:

yes-rudy1.gif

That's impressive.  Hang in there, you have come a long way and you are NOT the same person you used to be.  Get back on track and tell us when the 17 is gone.

17 is gone.  

So even if i go off the rails, i can fix it - good to know.    

But i am feeling pretty good about everthing overall -

Anyone interested in trying a 31 day fast?   I might try July.    Not sure i can do it, at the end of my 10 day'ers i have felt a little off - but now i have potassium/calcium/magnesium supplements so maybe i can go longer.

• Like 1

for those of you that don’t like cooking but want to eat well: buy a crockpot, learn how to use it. Seriously, I’ve made some damn good chicken breast using some simple spices like garlic powder, onion powder, sriracha. Steam some broccoli with it and you have meals for 3 days. Cut some chicken breasts in half (4 breasts total), throw the crockpot on high for 4 hours, add some spices and leave.

Edited by pearlandhorn

1 hour ago, pearlandhorn said:

for those of you that don’t like cooking but want to eat well: buy a crockpot, learn how to use it. Seriously, I’ve made some damn good chicken breast using some simple spices like garlic powder, onion powder, sriracha. Steam some broccoli with it and you have meals for 3 days. Cut some chicken breasts in half (4 breasts total), throw the crockpot on high for 4 hours, add some spices and leave.

No doubt about it pearland.  Between the crockpot and the instapot, we use those the nights I don't grill on my kamado joe.  Pretty amazing what you can whip up in those.  And damn tasty!

I buy fatty pork butt and do it in the slow cooker, that and chicken thighs with the skin on. Cheap meat. Throw a stick of butter in there for the hell of it. Good eats.

I may do a cheat meal this weekend. I've been hard on the keto for a couple of weeks now and need something to reward my taste buds.

• Like 1

Good work everyone. We used to see more recipes posted on the old site, and it would be good to see some new ones here. Ruled.me can get a little monotonous for me.

And diablo, what can be more rewarding than a nice ribeye? No need to cheat - stay the course.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2018 at 8:41 PM, pearlandhorn said:

Try substituting the breasts for thighs. Much more flavor and they remain more moist.

Chicken thigh master race.

• Like 1