2018 Body Transformation Thread

Lost another 1.8 overnight.  7.4 lbs since last Wednesday.

I'll break my fast tomorrow sometime.  I won't stuff myself.  But Saturday & Sunday I'm going to eat well.  If I can find a friend to go, I might go to Fogo de Chao for the first time ever.  If not, then I'll find some bbq and ribeye steaks.

• Like 1

Speaking of 190, broke the barrier this morning myself.  189.2 this morning.  Now down 32 pounds since May 14.  Was looking back at posts and notes and saw that I broke 200 on June 16, just shy of 5 weeks ago.  So another 10 pounds down in those last 5 weeks.  A couple of pounds a week.  Pretty much right as expected even with the week at the beach with the kiddos.  Leave for Aruba in 16 days.  That gives me that much time to lose another 4.3 pounds and be at my goal of 184.9 before we leave.  That's my goal for maintenance weight as well.  I'm sure I'll gain a few pounds back in Aruba but I'll get right back on it when we get back, get back to 185 and plan on staying there.  Feels good.  Keep up the great work everyone!

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, lonestarsooner said:

Speaking of 190, broke the barrier this morning myself.  189.2 this morning.  Now down 32 pounds since May 14.  Was looking back at posts and notes and saw that I broke 200 on June 16, just shy of 5 weeks ago.  So another 10 pounds down in those last 5 weeks.  A couple of pounds a week.  Pretty much right as expected even with the week at the beach with the kiddos.  Leave for Aruba in 16 days.  That gives me that much time to lose another 4.3 pounds and be at my goal of 184.9 before we leave.  That's my goal for maintenance weight as well.  I'm sure I'll gain a few pounds back in Aruba but I'll get right back on it when we get back, get back to 185 and plan on staying there.  Feels good.  Keep up the great work everyone!

Congrats.  I've been wondering lately how low I want to go and am thinking I need to really base it off body fat %.  If I was 185, I'd be skin and bone probably haha.

Thanks pearland.  Yeah, I've gone back and forth with that too.  Before I started this, I hadn't been under 200 since I returned to the states after living in Tokyo for 3 years on an expat assignment.  Before I left for Tokyo I was probably 230.  I am pretty active right now between coaching my son's baseball team and a little running here and there and playing golf.  So I haven't really worked out in the gym since I started this path a couple of months ago.  I'm thinking I'd like to get to 185 for Aruba, then get back there after we get back before I start adding in some weight training and core stuff to build some muscle back up.  I know that will cause me to gain a bit back so if I can stay at 190-195 with adding muscle back in, that's where I'd like to be long term.  Turn 49 in March and it is feeling great to be back in shape again!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shenanigans said:

Onederland.jpg

Finally made it to onederland! This is my weight trend over the past five years. This is the first time that I've been under 200 in probably 8 years. It is funny to look at the chart and seeing my ups and downs over the years.

That's pretty cool. My Doc and I were looking at my chart going back to around '98 or so when I was ~200. Then I stayed around 220 for a lot of years but the last 10 or so started edging up to where I was at in December, 260. Feels good to be trending the other direction for a change and at my age it just gets harder and harder to get there. I'll be happy for this year if I just get back to that 220 mark.

33 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Funny how I’m probably the youngest dude in this thread at 30 years old and have the most to lose. Keep up the good work everybody. Seriously, great job.

You definitely don't have the most to lose.  I wear that badge with shame.  But you are younger than me by 5 years.

I've lost 80 lbs and still weight 337.  When I reach my goal, I'll be 200 lbs down.  I could be on a magazine or something.

15 minutes ago, Longhorn Al said:

You definitely don't have the most to lose.  I wear that badge with shame.  But you are younger than me by 5 years.

I've lost 80 lbs and still weight 337.  When I reach my goal, I'll be 200 lbs down.  I could be on a magazine or something.

You’re doing great man.

Funny story - life insurance guy who my wife got quotes from the day I started this journey called back a week or so ago and asked if we wanted to proceed. My wife told him that they’d need to run a new quote for me. Told him I’d lost over 60 pounds the last 3 months. Insurance guy wants me to write a story to be published in their flyers when I’ve reached my goal. I don’t know what my goal is yet though.

5 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

You’re doing great man.

Funny story - life insurance guy who my wife got quotes from the day I started this journey called back a week or so ago and asked if we wanted to proceed. My wife told him that they’d need to run a new quote for me. Told him I’d lost over 60 pounds the last 3 months. Insurance guy wants me to write a story to be published in their flyers when I’ve reached my goal. I don’t know what my goal is yet though.

Ha that's awesome.

Mine will be a crazy journey.  My goal is probably 215-225.  I'm not looking to be ripped or anything.  And I'm frightened of loose skin.  I'm incorporating moderate-length fasting to see if autophagy will have decreased it by the time I get to that point.  When I get closer to my goal, I might try extended fasts of 14 days at a time to see if it'll increase it even moreso when I don't have as much fat to target.  If not, I'm really not looking forward to surgery.  Especially something so invasive.

I started running and going to try to be healthier. Don't need to lose weight but want to get back to running 5k-10ks. I was shocked at the number of people running around central Austin 6am today

My boredom has led to really bad eating habits. 

Edited by Washpark
  • Like 1

Grabbed a pedometer at the gym this morning to test my body fat %. When I started there a little over a month ago, I was 32.9% bf. I am now 24.9%. It's off a little from what the navy method calculates but I’m happy with the overall progression. Should have started lifting and exercising when I first started dieting.

I'm getting so frustrated with my lab results.  Last week I had a bunch of tests done. 7 vials of blood might be a personal best.  Lipid panel, testosterone, thyroid panel, and more.

I had my lipids done in April:

Total: 106

HDL: 35

LDL: 52

VLDL: 19

Trig: 96

A1C: 5.1

I've been doing fairly strict Keto since then.  I've been fasting more.  I was fasting ~36 hours when I had my blood drawn.

Total: 128

HDL: 29

LDL: 68

VLDL: 31

Trig: 157

A1C: 5.1

I thought HDL would go UP on Keto.  I'm not worried about LDL and my trigs are only barely elevated, but they're much higher than they were 3 months ago.  Why the hell is my HDL dropping?  Is it because I was fasting 36 hours?

3 months ago my TSH was 2.270.  This time it's 4.310.  So, I'm back too high again. 

Total T3 is a low: 74 (80-200)

But Free T3 is normal: 3.1 (2.0-4.4)

Free T4 is normal: 1.2 (0.9-1.7)

SHBG normal

LH is really elevated, but I'm on clomid: 12.3 (1.7-8.6)  This is up from 4.6 in April.

Total T: 535 (up from 204)

Estradiol: 62.5 (<43.2) up from 35

This was expected.  We'll see what the doctor decides.  When I had this checked on my own a month ago, he didn't seem worried and said it wasn't that elevated.  I don't know.

MCV and RDW-SD are both slightly elevated.  I read that could be anemia.  No idea how that happens when all I do is eat red meat.  Fasting?

Meet with the doctor Friday.  I want my T even higher, but I'm sure he won't care to adjust my dose.  I'll push him.  I'll also likely have to get my thyroid looked at further, or possibly get back on thyroid meds. 

If I could just get this shit dialed in, I'd probably lose weight a lot faster.  I'm pretty sure all of these abnormalities arise from a lifetime of obesity.  I've had multiple doctors tell me they're confident almost all of the problems would reverse when I get to a healthy weight.  But I need help getting there. 

Hang in there Al.  I'm sure it's frustrating to feel like you are doing what you should but your body isn't cooperating.  Remind me, did you hit a wall that caused you to move from IF to full one multi-day fasts?  Have you tried just doing a week or so of IF again to see if you end up net -2.5 /week either way?

I know the Thyroid and hormone issues can be a pain to regulate and definitely have big impact.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, orange dream said:

Hang in there Al.  I'm sure it's frustrating to feel like you are doing what you should but your body isn't cooperating.  Remind me, did you hit a wall that caused you to move from IF to full one multi-day fasts?  Have you tried just doing a week or so of IF again to see if you end up net -2.5 /week either way?

I know the Thyroid and hormone issues can be a pain to regulate and definitely have big impact.

Yeah, I had hit a wall.  Been harder to lose weight since starting Clomid in April.  I should not be having a difficult time at my weight.  Thought I'd try multi-day fasts, and they seem to work.  It's not torture.  4 days is pretty easy.  My energy is fine.  Don't feel dehydrated or low on electrolytes.

I don't have mechanical problems.  My thyroid generally works. My pituitary is fine. My balls work.  It's just a screw-up in the feedback loop, and I think it's caused by years and years of insulin-resistance.  I just need outside help (thyroid meds, clomid, estrogen-blocker maybe) to get my metabolism running optimally.  That will help me lose the weight, then I'm fairly certain I'll be able to get off the meds and my body will be able to sustain itself.

Slow and steady.  I just want to keep seeing the downward trend.

Fasted

7/11-7/12

7/16-7/19

7/23-today

Starting weight: 344.8

Today's weight: 337.2

My goal is to keep this up through the end of August and see what the results are.  I'm cautiously optimistic.  I can't wait to drop below 3 bills.

• Like 4

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:25 PM, Longhorn Al said:

Slow and steady.  I just want to keep seeing the downward trend.

Fasted

7/11-7/12

7/16-7/19

7/23-today

Starting weight: 344.8

Today's weight: 337.2

My goal is to keep this up through the end of August and see what the results are.  I'm cautiously optimistic.  I can't wait to drop below 3 bills.

335.8 today.  Weigh-in again tomorrow morning, then I get to eat for 3 glorious days.

Welp... I'm currently sitting on the couch having a gallbladder attack. Sucks. First one in roughly 3 years.

Doing some reading and apparently some people have attacks after fasting. Great. Guess I won't be doing much more than OMAD from now on.

Now for a fistful of ibuprofen...

7 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

You ever had that happen to you before? Thought about having it removed?

I've had a number of them, but not for ~3 years.

I'm not getting it removed unless absolutely necessary. I'll start taking Ursodiol again. It helps a lot by thinning the bile. Smaller stones end up dissolving.

T - 7 days until we leave for Aruba.  186.5 this morning.  Need another 1.6 pounds down in the next week to hit the goal I set for myself back when I started this May 14.  Go to the dr for a physical tomorrow morning bright and early.  Have absolutely no clue what my bloodwork will look like as I haven't had a physical in, oh, let's just say a while.  Does decades count as a while?  :)  I'm actually kind of looking forward to seeing how the labs come back.  Honestly, I have no earthly idea what all the various metrics and associated results Al posted above meant before I Googled them.  Knew there was good cholesterol and bad cholesterol but couldn't tell you what either was called, lol.  I'm going to school off of Al when I talk to my dr later in the week when he calls with my results.

Keep up the great work everyone.  Slow and steady. 

• Like 1

Good luck on your physical bud.

weighed myself after working outside for a few hours. I lost 2.5 pounds from working outside. So damn hot. I was 242.5.

this morning I was 245 even. I’ve crossed 70 pounds lost, down from 316. Feel great, look a lot better too. My goal for right now is to hit 216 for 100 pounds total. I’m almost 4 months in. Keto and lifting is amazing.

My "slow and steady" has come to a grinding halt! I haven't changed my diet at all even after seeing the Doc but already before that visit I had stalled. I've been swimming some the last few weeks, I thought the extra activity might help me drop some weight or get the needle moving down but so far nada. Stuck between 235 and 240. Bah!

Won't get labs until tomorrow but physical seemed to go well.  Weight was 187 on the scale at the doc.  Right in line with what the scale at home has been saying.  BP was 110/74 so I'll take that in a heartbeat, pun intended, lol.  As for the bloodwork, we'll wait and see.  Doc was a big proponent of the keto lifestyle.  Was impressed that I'm down 35 ish pounds in less than 3 months.  Said he'd like to see me stay around 185 so I needed to start thinking about maintenance rather than weight loss once I lose back  what I'm going to put on during vacation.  Said I might need to start adding a few more carbs back in but that it's important to not bounce in and out of ketosis.  Good visit overall.  Like the doc's manner and the office.  Guess I'll stick with him long term as a family doc.  Wife went to him last week  and she liked his manner too.  Now to wait on the bloodwork.

Dropped 30 pounds since mid-April.

I had been stalled at the 20-25 pound mark for about a month or so after doing keto & intermittent fasting.  Then I went on a trip overseas, ate 3-4 (or more) times a day, ate carbs and sugar and drank beer, and came back and dropped 5+ pounds almost instantly.

So sometimes the best way to break a stall is to just change up the routine dramatically.  In my case, increasing meals and carbs helped trigger my body to start dropping weight again when I went back to low carb/IF.

5 hours ago, El Diablo said:

My "slow and steady" has come to a grinding halt! I haven't changed my diet at all even after seeing the Doc but already before that visit I had stalled. I've been swimming some the last few weeks, I thought the extra activity might help me drop some weight or get the needle moving down but so far nada. Stuck between 235 and 240. Bah!

I started this trip at 212 in Jan '18.  I simply did lower calorie plus exercise.  I lost about 7 lbs/mo for the first 4 months, then hit a brick wall.  I did allow myself a little more cheating, but not much.  But if I did take off a pound or 2, I would gain them back eating half a sandwich.  I was stuck at about +/-183 for about 2 months.  Then last week it seemed to kick back in.  Down another 5 to 177.  Lowest I've been in a looooong time.  Just about where I want to be.  If I could get below 175, I'd be delighted.  Anyway, your body may be pushing back.  Keep at it and hopefully it gives in and lets you keep losing.  

Damnit... I'm still off the wagon, and need to get back on with you awesome guys. I did one week of keto about a month ago and lost 11lbs and was loving the energy.

Well Damnit I LOVE craft beer and Red wine. I know a ton of the beer reps or people who work at breweries in DFW and constantly am getting invited to some event going on. It's what broke me the first time and has kept me off. I just gotta tell people no and know missing out on some new beer release isn't the end of the world. 

Need to get on the scale and see how far back I've fallen and what my new lifetime high is.... 

Can't start this week.. already got tickets to a beer festival on Saturday. But I don't see anything starting next monday for the next month I shouldn't be able to say no to... 

I tried Keto. I don’t like eating that way. I like some carbs in my diet. I keep them low. I also like red wine and whiskey, both of which I am very moderate on due to the damn hangovers I get now.

I’m sitting at 216. It’s my new normal. I’m looking to drop to 206 over the next 6 weeks.

Keep up the good work you guys. It took me years to get to 240. I’m trying to get to 185ish in under a year.

14 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

I tried Keto. I don’t like eating that way. I like some carbs in my diet. I keep them low. I also like red wine and whiskey, both of which I am very moderate on due to the damn hangovers I get now.

I’m sitting at 216. It’s my new normal. I’m looking to drop to 206 over the next 6 weeks.

Keep up the good work you guys. It took me years to get to 240. I’m trying to get to 185ish in under a year.

Eating Keto is definitely not for everyone, it works for me as I needed to eliminate sugar as much as carbs. I find it the easiest to be able to eat most anywhere, but I do see your point. And stalls are a bitch and tough  to mentally break through sometimes.