2018 Body Transformation Thread

I've gained 6 lbs back since breaking my 7-day fast.  I've been eating a little more lax.  Nothing blatantly carby or starchy, but I'm pretty sure I've gone over 25g net carbs a couple times.  I ate almost an entire box of sugar free popsicles in 2 nights. Sugar free...but 4g carbs each.  Add to that some pistachios.  But I did avoid all the bread, potato salad, chips, and desserts at the Independence Day party on Saturday.  Been drinking more diet sodas, as well.  I'm back to drinking Diet Dr Pepper because I read the sweetener in Coke Zero can mimic an insulin spike.  Aspartame does not.  But I hate ingesting aspartame.  It's a trade-off.

I plan on eating a ribeye tomorrow for the 4th, but I may start another ~5 day fast on Thursday.  Get my mind right.

These are my 2nd half of the year goals:

Weight: 207 > 200 lbs

Waist: 37 > 34 in

LBM: 163 > 170 lbs

Body fat: 44 > 30 lbs

Maintain or grow chest and hips.

Strategy: 2300 calories/day, 600P/700F/1000C

Tactics: Four meals: Eggs at breakfast, balanced lunch, jerky/seeds/nuts as a snack, which gives me room to eat whatever deliciousness my wife comes up with for dinner.  Sundays as a cheat day weekly, Mondays as a fast day whenever I feel like it.

Workout rotation: Sprints, weights+leg, agility, weights+arm, tempo runs, weights+core.  If I get 3 in any given week it'll be a miracle.

Wife and I started keto about 3 weeks ago. Recently used a urine strip to test my ketone levels, and they were off the charts (reading of 16 instead of the target between 1.5 and 3.0). Any idea what could be causing this? I've been looking online, but haven't found too much. I have a doctor's appointment next week, but thought I'd ask if anyone here had any experience with this.

Wife and I started keto about 3 weeks ago. Recently used a urine strip to test my ketone levels, and they were off the charts (reading of 16 instead of the target between 1.5 and 3.0). Any idea what could be causing this? I've been looking online, but haven't found too much. I have a doctor's appointment next week, but thought I'd ask if anyone here had any experience with this.

Your strips might be old, or the packaging may not have been sealed properly.

Got back Friday night from a week of vacation in Destin with the family.  Went completely off the rails.  Pizza, ice cream, Oreos, pretty much just ate like I used to.  Stepped on the scale yesterday morning.  199.7.  Gained 5.4 pounds over the week.  Man does it come back on fast.  When I broke sub-200 a couple of weeks ago I told myself I never wanted to see a number that started with a 2 again.  Got WAY too close for comfort.  Back on the wagon yesterday.  Wife and I leave for an adult vacation in Aruba 4 weeks from today.  My original goal was to be at 195 before we left for Destin last week and 185 before we leave for Aruba.  That means losing 15 pounds in the next 4 weeks.  Not sure that's entirely realistic.  Definitely think I can get to sub-190 though.  2.5 pounds a week seems doable.

I've been following this thread along (from the old site as well).  I never posted but it has been great motivation.  I have been writing my weight down every Monday since January 8th.  I started at 208 and last Monday I was at 188.  My goal was to break under 195.  Thanks to those of you that regularly post and give ideas.  I didn't do anything drastic.  Got back into the gym, unfortunately haven't had time for it the last couple months, but I'm so active in the summer I don't think it matters.  Cut down on portions and carbs.  Drank less (for awhile).  Hoping to maintain.  I'm 6'1" and about to hit 40 and don't want to have to lose it again.  I'm at a good weight now and will find out my numbers in the next couple of months when I do my "40" check up.  Hoping to get good results.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dean Gullberry said:

I've been following this thread along (from the old site as well).  I never posted but it has been great motivation.  I have been writing my weight down every Monday since January 8th.  I started at 208 and last Monday I was at 188.  My goal was to break under 195.  Thanks to those of you that regularly post and give ideas.  I didn't do anything drastic.  Got back into the gym, unfortunately haven't had time for it the last couple months, but I'm so active in the summer I don't think it matters.  Cut down on portions and carbs.  Drank less (for awhile).  Hoping to maintain.  I'm 6'1" and about to hit 40 and don't want to have to lose it again.  I'm at a good weight now and will find out my numbers in the next couple of months when I do my "40" check up.  Hoping to get good results.

Make sure you find a doctor with small hands.

• Like 1

Weighed myself this morning.  Down to 253.8.  I think I mentioned this last week but my 2 year old caught a stomach bug 2 weeks ago and it wreaked havoc in my house.  My wife had it for a week and I came down with it as well.  Felt awful for a week then had a cold/sinus issue for about 3 days.  Just got back to the gym this week on Monday.  I was 255.6 on Monday of this week so my weight loss has slowed (understandable - I've lost 63 pounds in a 3.5 months) but I feel even better than I did when I wasn't working out.

Still keeping on the keto/low carb diet but feel like I need more calories on days that I do go to the gym.  I'm going around 5 times per week. 

• Like 1

I’m still around. I’m down to 216 and holding there. Weight is coming off slowly now, but pants size has changed. I’m down another belt loop, so things are heading the right direction.

I’ve jacked my knee up. It doesn’t hurt when I squat or do any running, just when I move wrong. Is it possible to have a torn something and still be full functional?

I'm on my 2nd day of a quick 2-day fast.  I'm going to try out eating on Friday & Saturday because I'm off work and football season is approaching.  I want to be able to eat out and stuff.  Sun-Thu will be water fasting.

I lost 2.8 lbs on my first day of this fast.  I'm back down to just 4 lbs heavier than my lightest after that 7-day fast a couple weeks ago.  I should be awfully close after tonight.

If I'm able to stick with just 2 feeding days a week, I'm going to eat quality meat.  Going to Johnny G's tomorrow to see what they have.  I'm pretty ignorant about butchers, so it'll be a learning experience.  I want grass-fed 16oz ribeyes.  Fattier the better.

My plan for feeding days is to aim for zero carb/carnivore.  Before work will be something like 4 eggs, 8 slices of bacon, 2oz of sharp cheddar and a tbsp. of butter to cook the eggs in.  After work will be that 16oz ribeye cooked in a tbsp. of butter.  It should be around 2,000 calories.

Edited by Longhorn Al

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

Bag plus pot of boiling water, no? I'll throw an orange peel in there from time to time and sometimes a peppermint leaf.

1 hour ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Looking for more of a cold option.

ice is always an option and it won't throw you out of ketosis, and if you're in austin our ice is gluten free

• Like 1

https://www.uth.edu/media/story.htm?id=1692785a-5886-46e8-8186-230d71b834ac

HOUSTON – (July 11, 2018) – Enjoying full-fat milk, yogurt, cheese and butter is unlikely to send people to an early grave, according to new research by The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth).

The study, published today in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, found no significant link between dairy fats and cause of death or, more specifically, heart disease and stroke – two of the country’s biggest killers often associated with a diet high in saturated fat. In fact, certain types of dairy fat may help guard against having a severe stroke, the researchers reported.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2018 at 1:05 PM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Any suggestions on green tea that doesn’t suck and have tons of sugar?

I get this stuff in a 12-pack from Costco.  Just two ingredients: tea and water.  It's stronger than other unsweet green teas, but that's what I like about it.  Very good.

1450248403702.jpg

Edited by Dutch

11 hours ago, destroya said:

ice is always an option and it won't throw you out of ketosis, and if you're in austin our ice is gluten free

My usual routine at work is to make a pot of green tea, using the good whole-leaf stuff from the Asian market, about midmorning, and letting it cool for a couple of hours before pouring it over ice for my lunch/afternoon beverage. It's good. Check it out.

ETA: when you use good whole-leaf green tea, you can make multiple pots from the same batch of leaves. After the first one they won't have as much caffeine, but green tea doesn't have much to begin with so it's not a big difference.

Edited by Bat Guano

16 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Still here as well, survived a 10 day vacation only gaining 2.6 pounds, ate keto but drank everything possible, so was out of ketosis. Back to pre-vacation weight after 5 days and back on track to keep going. 

Damn, that’s a good job. I have a 3 day trip to San Diego and a 4 day trip to Seattle coming up and would take 2.6 in a heartbeat. 

I'm still here, still plugging away on the keto. Not much to report, seems like I've hit a stall. I've been fluctuating between 240-235 for the last 2 weeks or so. I'm probably going to have to either cut the # of calories I'm taking in or up the activity level. Doing the latter will probably be better. I'd like to hit 230 before the end of August <- Haven't really stated a goal weight before so maybe this will help motivate. Will keep y'all posted.

Great work everyone. Keep it up! Have been back from vacation for a week now. Back on the keto wagon hardcore this week. 191.3 this morning. Dropped all the weight I gained back on vacation plus some this week. A little over 8 pounds. Interesting. I knew a lot of the vacation weight was water weight but didn’t expect that significant of a drop. Leave for Aruba in 22 days. Need to drop another 6.4 pounds to be at 184.9 before Aruba. That was my original goal when I started this exactly 2 months ago today. Have a shot at getting there now. Regardless, feels really good to be down 30 pounds and 4 inches in the waist in 2 months. 

Saw the Doc yesterday for the 6 month checkup. BP was 121/74. Resting heartrate was 76. Unfortunately most of my blood work was not as encouraging. I don't have the numbers in front of me but the bottom line was "cut out the fatty diet". Everything bad had gone up. Guess I'll be looking at a more traditional diet. Le sigh. I'd gotten quite comfortable doing keto so this change is going to take some work and planning.

4 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Cholesterol. I'll post the exact numbers when I get 'em. Might have to go back to the other site to find my data from January or I probably have it in a file, I'll put up what I find when I can.

Don't buy into the cholesterol myth.  Do your research and then tell your doctor to jump in a lake.

Look up Dave Feldman's Cholesterol Code.  Cholesterol is not necessarily bad.  You're dieting, losing weight and using fat as your fuel on Keto.  Of course there's going to be more cholesterol in your blood.

Edited by Longhorn Al
  • Like 1

Doctors are pushed to prescribe statins.  They're bullshit in most cases.  In a few cases, they might be needed. 

My dad had a heart attack and his cholesterol was 120.  Has nothing to do with it.  Docs put him on statins and he finally got rid of them.  They made him feel like crap.  It's been 12 years.

Edited by Longhorn Al
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Longhorn Al said:

Started my 4-day fast Monday at 1am.  I'm already down 3.8 lbs. 

I fasted 7/11 & 7/12, ate Fri-Sun, and started the current fast Monday.  Since 7/11 I've lost 5.6 lbs.

OK, now we have to hear about the 8-12 hours leading up to Monday at 1am. ha ha

Down to 250.4 as of this morning.  Working out 5 days a week and doing IF with Keto.  Bought 36 pants (do what now?) because I needed new jeans.  Bought a few pair of jeans and some 38 polo pants ($30/piece on sale).

I've gone from a 42 jeans to a 36 jeans and a 46 polo to a 38 polo pants in 3.5 months.  Holy shit.

• Like 7