2018 Body Transformation Thread

7 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Don't get caught up trying to replace nice carb things with non-carb substitutes.  I've had cauliflower rice and it tastes like fucking chopped up cauliflower.  Fat Head Pizza doesn't taste like real pizza.  Embrace the actual non-carb foods.

I love cauliflower rice. But my lazy ass isn’t going to take the time to make a cauliflower crust pizza. That’s why I’m going to buy it. I embrace the no carb foods. I like all the non carb foods. I like all the meats and all the veg. 

But just like a person sometimes treats themselves with a dessert. Maybe once a week. I will have a no carb cookie. 

29 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

Passed my insurance health screening this morning.  4/5.  That waist measurement though.  Fuck them for measuring around your belly button instead of your actual waist.

Funny how my waist has moved over the years. ;)

I'm down 15 pounds after about 6 weeks. Started around 210 would like to get under 190.

The thing that  saved me has been sugar free jello. I loved little debbie brownies, cookies and crap like that. But this feed my craving for sweets. There is a sugar free "jello" that is even better. 

21 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Back from 3 days in NO.  It was glorious and only came at a cost of 4 pounds. Can't pass up grits, scratch biscuits and great cocktails.  

Now onto the Dominican Republic Sunday through Thursday at the Hard Rock.  

i gained 6 pounds there in march.  mostly booze.

I think we've established that your body is just weird, Al. Seriously though I wouldn't sweat 4 lbs too much (no pun intended), that's a healthy dump and a major leak for a lot of folks. My weight fluctuates probably 3 pounds over the course of a day and I've had days where it suddenly jumped up 4 or 5 lbs and then was followed by a "correction" back. As long as the trend line is pointing in the right direction don't worry about the minor swings too much.

6 hours ago, Longhorn Al said:

I've gained 4 lbs. Still not eating carbs. Kind of frustrating.

If you eat too much protein, your body will start to turn those amino acids into glycogen to be used as glucose for fuel via gluconeogenesis

this will prohibit you from entering ketosis and losing weight. It is a high fat, moderate protein, low carb.

6 hours ago, Longhorn Al said:

I've gained 4 lbs. Still not eating carbs. Kind of frustrating.

I've just been doing standard dieting and exercise.  Down almost 30.  But have totally stalled out.  Even with calorie intake b/w 1,200-1,600/day, I am just not dropping much at all.  Body seems to be fighting it.  At 180, so I'm pretty happy with where I'm at, but really restricting the diet and not losing weight is frustrating.  Hoping to dump another 5 and then stabilize.

37 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

If you eat too much protein, your body will start to turn those amino acids into glycogen to be used as glucose for fuel via gluconeogenesis

this will prohibit you from entering ketosis and losing weight. It is a high fat, moderate protein, low carb.

What I've read is that gluconeogenesis is an process that only occurs for needs, not so much when you have excess protein. And excess protein for me would be a ton. My middle ground is 142 grams.

3 hours ago, Longhorn Al said:

What I've read is that gluconeogenesis is an process that only occurs for needs, not so much when you have excess protein. And excess protein for me would be a ton. My middle ground is 142 grams.

https://www.perfectketo.com/how-too-much-protein-is-bad-for-ketosis/

If your body is burning protein for fuel, it is not burning fat for fuel, hence no ketosis. Cut down on your protein intake. 

I've just been doing standard dieting and exercise.  Down almost 30.  But have totally stalled out.  Even with calorie intake b/w 1,200-1,600/day, I am just not dropping much at all.  Body seems to be fighting it.  At 180, so I'm pretty happy with where I'm at, but really restricting the diet and not losing weight is frustrating.  Hoping to dump another 5 and then stabilize.
Your metabolism is slowing down. Start weight training, and know you may hafta up your calorie intake a bit.

Just signed up for my first triathlon in 3 years - Jack's Generic.  Have to get back on track with training and signing up for a race is usually the best motivation.  Starting from scratch with all three disciplines should be fun.

I really interested to see how I'll do training with Keto.  Time will tell.

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Had a fairly glutinous weekend with Mother's Day brunch and eating out 4 meals.  Time to kick this shit back in gear. 

Seems like when I've done that I've had an almost immediate noticeable drop in my weight. Pretty crazy. Went out Saturday as noted above, pretty much fasted yesterday aside from some bacon and heavy cream/buttered coffee. Got up this morning and the scale was on 243 and a fraction. I haven't seen that weight in over a year. I'm beginning to think that a cheat meal a week may be a GOOD thing for weight loss. I don't know if there's any science to support this theory but it seems to be what happens to me.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:21 PM, Neonmoon said:

https://www.perfectketo.com/how-too-much-protein-is-bad-for-ketosis/

If your body is burning protein for fuel, it is not burning fat for fuel, hence no ketosis. Cut down on your protein intake. 

This is where Keto becomes a pain in the ass.

Other sources say to never use percentages for your macros, but use absolute grams.  Find your protein goal and hit it daily.  Eat under 20-25g of carbs.  Eat fat for satiety because it's not a goal.

Then others will say to make sure it's a 75/20/5 ratio or something similar.  You can't hit 75/20/5 and still hit your protein goal.  You'd gain weight.

I've also read that the ratio approach is more for people maintaining Keto for their lifestyle or health, not to lose weight.

I have no idea what to believe anymore.  It's a mess.

If I use my goal weight: 220

.7g per lb would be: 154g protein a day

If I only eat OMAD, I saw I could get away with .36g per lb, or 79g.

That's 15oz of 85/15 ground beef or 12oz of chicken breast in one sitting.  I can do that, but I'm sure I'll read someone else saying you shouldn't eat that much protein in one meal.

Then I'll contemplate decreasing protein further, and people will claim that wouldn't be enough protein.

Finally found a video where Berg states a little more clearly how much you can decrease your protein while doing OMAD:

I'll try 10oz of fatty meat + greens and other fats for my one meal. Aiming for 1500-1600 calories.

Alfredo sauce over broccoli, here I come.

In a little over 36 hours fasted right now. There’s no goal length of time I’m shooting for beyond 72ish hours. If I feel decent tomorrow evening, I’ll try to keep it up. Otherwise, I’ll break by having a small keto meal.

I feel like absolute shit right now though. Allergies are wrecking my ass and carb flu isn’t helping either.

20 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Seems like when I've done that I've had an almost immediate noticeable drop in my weight. Pretty crazy. Went out Saturday as noted above, pretty much fasted yesterday aside from some bacon and heavy cream/buttered coffee. Got up this morning and the scale was on 243 and a fraction. I haven't seen that weight in over a year. I'm beginning to think that a cheat meal a week may be a GOOD thing for weight loss. I don't know if there's any science to support this theory but it seems to be what happens to me.

Every time I have a cheat meal I find that I drop a pound or two. I've done this to help break stalls.

21 hours ago, deft said:

In a little over 36 hours fasted right now. There’s no goal length of time I’m shooting for beyond 72ish hours. If I feel decent tomorrow evening, I’ll try to keep it up. Otherwise, I’ll break by having a small keto meal.

I feel like absolute shit right now though. Allergies are wrecking my ass and carb flu isn’t helping either.

When the wife had carb flu, she drank a lot of water and Gatorade. Just an FYI.

I gained a few pounds over the weekend thanks to a steakhouse visit. Back on the grind and back to 286. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

I gained a few pounds over the weekend thanks to a steakhouse visit. Back on the grind and back to 286. 

ZipFizz or MiO work pretty well and without all of the sugar of gatorade.

3 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

The gatorade probably knocked her out of ketosis so there goes the Keto flu. 

So, I'm 50 hours into a 72-hour fast.  I drank 66oz of MiO water and PowerAde Zero on Monday, and 100oz on Tuesday.  I'm aiming for another 100oz today.  I'm still on the verge of leg cramps while I lay in bed before I fall asleep.  I need to supplement some salt/light salt.

Tuesday weigh-in showed I lost the 4 lbs I had gained during the previous 18 days.  Today's weigh-in shows another 2.2 lbs lost.  That's 61.5 total lost since 1/10.

I'm going to try and break this fast without causing a bathroom emergency this time.  The last couple of times have not been kind to the toilet.  Will pick up some broth tonight.  Breaking it tomorrow around 3pm.

21 minutes ago, Longhorn Al said:

So, I'm 50 hours into a 72-hour fast.  I drank 66oz of MiO water and PowerAde Zero on Monday, and 100oz on Tuesday.  I'm aiming for another 100oz today.  I'm still on the verge of leg cramps while I lay in bed before I fall asleep.  I need to supplement some salt/light salt.

Tuesday weigh-in showed I lost the 4 lbs I had gained during the previous 18 days.  Today's weigh-in shows another 2.2 lbs lost.  That's 61.5 total lost since 1/10.

I'm going to try and break this fast without causing a bathroom emergency this time.  The last couple of times have not been kind to the toilet.  Will pick up some broth tonight.  Breaking it tomorrow around 3pm.

Isn't 72 hours close to the breaking point where it becomes easier @Bernard?

Edited by SimonBolivar

Just now, El Diablo said:

Anybody here buy the HEB  brand sparkling water? I got a 12 pack of the grapefruit flavor and I'm not real fond of it. It just doesn't have much flavoring to it. I'd be willing to try some more if there's a good flavor rec. 

I bought 3 flavors. Most of them are still sitting in the fridge. Not a huge fan.

Thanks. I'll probably buy some more for when I just want something different. I expect them to have the flat taste but I was hoping for more of the added flavor. Did any one of the 3 you bought seem to have any more flavor than the other two?

The HEB brand is pretty lame, and none of them really have much "flavor" it's more of an aroma than actual taste in your tongue. If you want to try something different, get the Waterloo brand from Central Market or Whole foods, I like cherry, grapefruit and coconut the best. It has more flavor and isn't as fake tasting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Isn't 72 hours close to the breaking point where it becomes easier @Bernard?

I think the transition is easiest when you’re already in ketosis before starting to fast. At this point it’s no big deal for me. It’s always been more mental than physical for me. 

Bernard

1 hour ago, Chips O'Toole said:

The HEB brand is pretty lame, and none of them really have much "flavor" it's more of an aroma than actual taste in your tongue. If you want to try something different, get the Waterloo brand from Central Market or Whole foods, I like cherry, grapefruit and coconut the best. It has more flavor and isn't as fake tasting.

I know a girl who models/advertises for this stuff on instagram. Maybe I'll try it out.

Edited by Longhorn Al

11 hours ago, Chips O'Toole said:

The MiO lemon-lime is very good...especially if you put a couple of squeezes in a La Croix or even the Kroger generic lemon/lime sparkling water.

5 hours ago, deft said:

Broke my fast at 68 hours with a half pound of brisket and a quarter pound of turkey from Rudy’s. Still peeing out of my butt.

Happens to me every time. I always break my fast on a day I don't have something important going on or I'm traveling.

Back on the fasting plan.    I stopped for vacation in Isla - but only gained 5 - so pretty happy with it.   Am already in day 3 of fasting, i will get all the vacation weight off by sunday.

50 more to get under 200 for the first time since 1999.   I should be able to get there by end of august.   Going to stick with fasting 6 days eating 1 until probably 220lbs.  (should be first week of july give or take)  then start incorporating an additional meal in the week.   Eventually hoping to be able to maintain 200 by eating every other day or ideally OMAD.   We shall see, i'm not sure i will ever be able to eat like a normal person again after being over 300 for so long. 

• Like 1

On 5/14/2018 at 6:49 PM, Longhorn Al said:

If I use my goal weight: 220

.7g per lb would be: 154g protein a day

If I only eat OMAD, I saw I could get away with .36g per lb, or 79g.

That's 15oz of 85/15 ground beef or 12oz of chicken breast in one sitting.  I can do that, but I'm sure I'll read someone else saying you shouldn't eat that much protein in one meal.

Then I'll contemplate decreasing protein further, and people will claim that wouldn't be enough protein.

Ya it's kinda funny, that is about 3/4 of a regular weight lifting protein intake. Most of what I see on ketosis for extremely active people is a similar amount of protein intake, and decrease/increase your fats depending on weight loss or gain.  Non-ketosis you poop out most of the protein at those levels anyways.

On 5/16/2018 at 6:30 PM, El Diablo said:

Anybody here buy the HEB  brand sparkling water? I got a 12 pack of the grapefruit flavor and I'm not real fond of it. It just doesn't have much flavoring to it. I'd be willing to try some more if there's a good flavor rec. 

I love that shit, even a little better than the regular La Croix.  Tastes pretty good and keeps me feeling fuller than water, and not drinking beer. Haven't been in on this thread(s) but the sparkling water has helped me eliminate alcohol Mon - Thurs and eat less in the evenings and i'm down from 250+ Easter 2017 to 217 this morning.  Goal is 190 at 6'0.  

Keep up the good work people. 

• Like 1

The more I drink them the better I like them, which while still not a lot is better than a few days ago when I commented. I don't drink alcohol but was just looking for something no-cal to supplement the usual liquid intake. I've been having one in the evenings and last nights was actually kind of refreshing.