2018 Body Transformation Thread

11 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Holy hell. Weekends are killing my progress. 2 or 3 crappy meals, some snacks and some drinks and I’m up 5 pounds every weekend. The good news is my bouncing weight is lower. I seem to bounce between 214 and 220.

What’s anyone’s secret for the weekend?? Plan better? Get more backbone and stay on the wagon?

Eat one less crappy meal, see if that helps. And go from there. Just have to see what works for you, while maintaining sanity. 

3 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Eat one less crappy meal, see if that helps. And go from there. Just have to see what works for you, while maintaining sanity. 

Yeah, I try to limit my weekend cheats to one meal per day.  And typically just eat 2 meals- a late breakfast and dinner.  

16 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Nice job Al! Keep it up man.

weight loss is completely different from person to person. When I am stuck at a plateau, I always move towards thinking about how much better I feel now compared to last year. If you don’t think the weight is coming off at the pace you want, keep your chin up and plow through it bud!

66 hours into my fast.  Screw the 320s, I want to see the 310s!

• Like 1

I've been watching a lot of Cole's videos.  He's legit and I'm now a convert.  I'm even more on board with his politics than his fasting.  His latest rant video "Anxiety is a Joke!" is killing me and I'm only 25 minutes into it.  The bit about genders and then when he goes off on idiots saying you can't fast a cat.  This is probably the most entertaining channel I've found on youtube.

7 hours ago, Longhorn Al said:

I've been watching a lot of Cole's videos.  He's legit and I'm now a convert.  I'm even more on board with his politics than his fasting.  His latest rant video "Anxiety is a Joke!" is killing me and I'm only 25 minutes into it.  The bit about genders and then when he goes off on idiots saying you can't fast a cat.  This is probably the most entertaining channel I've found on youtube.

I get where he's coming from with anxiety and the blame that I had no idea existed with fasting? But he apparently doesn't know shit about anxiety.  

Weighed in this morning at 227.8.  Not surprising that I haven't really lost any over the weekend as I went to visit family and ate Mexican food on Saturday.  Still was off the soda and nothing but water and unsweet tea.

When I started this whole weight loss thing, I set a goal that when I hit 250 I would get LASIK done.  I'm way past my goal and have it scheduled for this Friday.  My eyes are dilated and I can't see shit.  I'm on my computer at work and everything is blurry as shit.

Got up at 5 this morning and hit the gym for the first time in a week or so.  I felt really shitty last week which I think is attributed to bad nutrition.  I went back and evaluated what I'd eaten and it wasn't wholesome or filling enough.  Did some meal prep for the week when we got back to town on Sunday and I feel absolutely fantastic after getting in to the gym this morning.  Great energy.

Keep on keeping on.  I want 215. 

Went to the doc this morning for my second test shot.  Up about 4 pounds but I attribute that to a late night burger and drinking.  I'll lose at least 3 pounds by the end of the day.  Workouts are going great especially if I have a good warm up on the treadmill or bike and then get a few low intensity lifts in that can become higher intensity over the course of a set or two.  I'm still fine tuning my macros and diet.  Multiple times over the first week I ended up with all of my carbs and fats for the day but had to drink 2 protein shakes with an extra scoop in each one to get my protein number.  Going to have to meal prep if I'm going to be able to consistently make my numbers.  Started getting active in looking for a 2-3 day a week HIIT class that isn't $100+ per month.  I've got the lifting going, now I need to add in sculpting to the regimen.  The back half of this week is going to suck as I'm on the road tomorrow morning through sunday.

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:26 AM, pearlandhorn said:

Weighed in this morning at 227.8.  Not surprising that I haven't really lost any over the weekend as I went to visit family and ate Mexican food on Saturday.  Still was off the soda and nothing but water and unsweet tea.

When I started this whole weight loss thing, I set a goal that when I hit 250 I would get LASIK done.  I'm way past my goal and have it scheduled for this Friday.  My eyes are dilated and I can't see shit.  I'm on my computer at work and everything is blurry as shit.

Got up at 5 this morning and hit the gym for the first time in a week or so.  I felt really shitty last week which I think is attributed to bad nutrition.  I went back and evaluated what I'd eaten and it wasn't wholesome or filling enough.  Did some meal prep for the week when we got back to town on Sunday and I feel absolutely fantastic after getting in to the gym this morning.  Great energy.

Keep on keeping on.  I want 215. 

I've had a hard time lately with the meal prep, the whole routine just got old since I've been doing it since January. I need to figure something else out. Weight hasn't gone up or down in ages. Frustrating.

12 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Stopped on the way home from work and joined a gym, maybe this will get the needle moving again.

Keep it up, Diablo.  You just keep to your plan and the rest will work itself out.  Plateauing is demoralizing, but you'll get to where you want to be with perseverance.  

Working out at your new gym won't hurt.

Pulled a muscle in the back this morning on my last deadlift. Just lost focus on my form and felt it right as I was setting the bar down. This sucks.

It’s not full on thrown out but I did stay home today to recoup a bit. Hurts like hell if I turn the wrong way or sit for too long.

On 9/12/2018 at 7:01 PM, deft said:

Pulled a muscle in the back this morning on my last deadlift. Just lost focus on my form and felt it right as I was setting the bar down. This sucks.

It’s not full on thrown out but I did stay home today to recoup a bit. Hurts like hell if I turn the wrong way or sit for too long.

Don’t be afraid to deload on deadlifts at all. Deload, work on form, and start back up the mountain again!

I had lasik today. Weighed in at 225.6 this morning.

• Like 1

Monthly update:

I have been hovering around 197lbs.   I have been eating a mostly keto dinner every other night.    The weekends i have been not as strict as its football season and a man has to have fun, still not drinking alcohol but allowing one whatever i want meal during a football game - usually bbq / wings.   I just knock out a quick 2-3 day fast to fix that meal.   

I got scuba certified, something i never would have done at 330lbs.    Going back to isla mujeres first week of Nov. 

I know i could get into the mid 180s pretty quickly if i wanted to, but I have lost a 2-3 lbs in the last month, so i think i will keep this going like I am, and slowly get there.

And a final thought.   The medical/diet industry has really done a number on people.   Friends/work associates etc of course ask me how i lost the weight, and while i never volunteer or talk about fasting (rule #1 of fasting, don't talk about it) - if someone asks, i will try my best to educate them, explain the science, explain they don't have to go as hard core as me and still get results, and they just can't wrap their heads around that they wont die if they don't eat 3-5 meals a day.     They would rather spend 100s of dollars on some juice cleanse instead of just not eating for those 5 days.     oh well.   

• Like 1

Had my 2nd DEXA scan at UT today.  Haven't lost as much as I'd like in 3 months, but at least it's something.  My next scan is January 7, almost a full year since I started Keto, and a little more than 6 months since my first DEXA scan.  I wanted to track my lean mass vs. fat mass lost through the end of the year because I'm going to be incorporating more fasting, and will go back to the gym soon.

6/21/2018

9/17/2018

Total Mass

Fat Mass

Lean Mass

Bone Mass

My bone mass is 2 standard deviations higher than all other white men my age & weight in the nation.

Visceral Fat

N/A

My fasting routine has been pretty much shit for the past month. I’m officially back in business now. My plan for the football season is fast Monday through Friday (or as long as I can) and then enjoy some cold delicious beer and some reasonable amount of food on the weekends. Seems doable, of course today is only Monday. Haven’t been on the scale in a while.

Bernard

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bernard said:

My fasting routine has been pretty much shit for the past month. I’m officially back in business now. My plan for the football season is fast Monday through Friday (or as long as I can) and then enjoy some cold delicious beer and some reasonable amount of food on the weekends. Seems doable, of course today is only Monday. Haven’t been on the scale in a while.

Bernard

I was going to fast today, but was forced to go to Terry Black's. I swear my arm was twisted.

The whole fasting thing is mind boggling. Had a colonoscopy a week and a half ago, and the 28 hr fast was brutal. I can eat light, but eating nothing is rough.

I've pretty much plateau'd at around 176. But that's 30+ pounds and I enjoy going shirtless at the pool and on the boat. I'd like to drop another 6, but it just won't come off so I may just stick here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

The whole fasting thing is mind boggling. Had a colonoscopy a week and a half ago, and the 28 hr fast was brutal. I can eat light, but eating nothing is rough.

I've pretty much plateau'd at around 176. But that's 30+ pounds and I enjoy going shirtless at the pool and on the boat. I'd like to drop another 6, but it just won't come off so I may just stick here.

I have found everything Bernard was talking about at the beginning of the year that I thought was crazy to be correct re: fasting.  A long fast is infinitely easier than eating very low calorie every day.  I've done both.  There's a point on a fast where you lose all hunger.  Boredom is the only thing that keeps me from stopping.  Well, my 7-day was ended because I couldn't get a handle on the indigestion that started on Day 6.

But I'm a fatass, so fasting should be easier.  At 176, you'll have a tougher time.

Edited by Longhorn Al
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Longhorn Al said:

But I'm a fatass, so fasting should be easier.  At 176, you'll have a tougher time.

Yes. I'm guessing that extended fasting gets much harder as your BF% gets lower. Fat asses like Al and me have a lot of stored energy just sitting around waiting to fuel our bodies. Mr. Drummond had a bunch too, but not so much anymore. 

Just like Al. I've done three meals a day low calorie for weeks on end. Fasting is far easier IMO. The results are fast as fuck too. 

Bernard

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bernard said:

Bernard

So basically you're changing your diet from something very standard and giving up food so you can drink more 2 days a week.  Less food more alcohol.  Unconventional.... but dammit it just might work...

But seriously... how drunk were you when you thought of this diet plan?  I fucking lost my shit when I read this.

Edited by Jhawk

My diet has been "standard" for only the past 30 days, which started with the first Texans pre-season tailgate party. Most of 2018 has been anything but "standard".

I was going to be drinking every weekend during football season anyway. The change is what I'm eating (nothing) and drinking (water) during the week.

Bernard

13 minutes ago, Bernard said:

My diet has been "standard" for only the past 30 days, which started with the first Texans pre-season tailgate party. Most of 2018 has been anything but "standard".

I was going to be drinking every weekend during football season anyway. The change is what I'm eating (nothing) and drinking (water) during the week.

Bernard

Haha I just read that in the most homer simpson way it could possibly be read.  If it works, it works and I hope it works.  You guys are all doing awesome getting healthier. 

58 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Got a date with a personal trainer to get me up to speed on what I need to be doing in the gym. She says she likes ply-o-metrics. Yeah, I don't know about all that. Just show me how to use the treadmill and a few machines.

Yeah fuck that jumping shit.

I tinkered with 5x5 for a while.  I absolutely HATE squats.  Just hate them.

I now do a push/pull/leg regiment that is working fairly well.

I'm at 225 after gorging on pizza last Friday after my LASIK.  Not bad tater.

• Like 1

I used to hate squats. They are now one of my favorite exercises. I alternate between them and dead lifts. My current issue is front squats and cleans. I’m not flexible enough to rack the weight across my shoulders and hold it there. My elbows don’t come up far enough. I’m going to win the war, but the battles are tough.

33 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

I used to hate squats. They are now one of my favorite exercises. I alternate between them and dead lifts. My current issue is front squats and cleans. I’m not flexible enough to rack the weight across my shoulders and hold it there. My elbows don’t come up far enough. I’m going to win the war, but the battles are tough.

5bTYOd61rg-4.png

• Like 1

Weighed in at 269.6 this morning. It's been a couple of years since I've broke 270. Down 25 lbs since April. My short term goal was to reach 275 by 9-21, as that's the day we leave for vacation. I hit that about 10-14 days ago, so I changed my goal to 270. Feels good. Long term goal is 250 and once we get there, I'm just gonna keep slowly creeping down (hopefully). 225 would be fantastic.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Does fasting like you guys do destroy your stomach when you eat? I have a weak stomach due to bad decisions in the past. Also, just water, or supplements also?  Sorry, just in a semi stall just below a nice weight loss goal. 

When I did plain water, re-feeds were Hell.  I'd be on the toilet multiple times after eating.  Now, I'm drinking Snake Juice, or my own recipe of the same thing.  That's water with pink salt, NoSalt, Epsom salt.  I've started leaving out the baking soda.  I add a bit of Borax, but it's not needed.  If you stay up on your electrolytes, re-feeds tend to not be as severe.  I can go 4 days and eat normally when I break it.

The last 2 weeks, I'm breaking it basically on the day of the Texas game, so I take some liquid Imodium just in case.  The food causes a bit of distress, but not nearly as bad as on just water.  I'll drink a couple doses of Imodium and be good for the rest of the day.  Probably not ideal, but it's worked so far.

I don't get indigestion or reflux when I re-feed.  And I'm not gentle on my stomach.  I'll break a fast with a fatty Keto casserole (ex: tons of cheese, cream cheese, mayo, cream, chicken and sausage).  No real ill effects except you'll have to run to the bathroom an hour or so later, in my experience.

• Like 1

The vast majority of my meals after extended fasts have been completely uneventful, other than a quick trip to the throne for a few straight liquid blasts. I typically break an extended fast with giant salad from Salata. One two occasions though, I ended up with a bitch of a knot in my stomach. I speculate both were caused by too much red meat instead of a salad. Just a guess though. Felt like shit for several hours. Then the symptoms just disappeared. No Snake Juice for me. I knock back Topo Chico like it’s going out of style. 

Bernard

31 minutes ago, Bernard said:

You didn't gain any fat. That's for sure. The scale weighs everything. Maybe you were dehydrated last time you weighed in.

Bernard

I drank 3 bottles of snake juice yesterday.  So I was likely dehydrated and then the boost in sodium made me retain.  What I've noticed while drinking the electrolytes is I actually lose all my weight on my feeding days after I break the fast.

I think psyllium husk is popular.  I've seen people using it as batter now.

Personally, I don't bother with fiber.  If you're constipated, adding fiber will mess you up.  It just adds bulk to something that won't pass.  I heard it described once like adding more cars to a highway when there's a traffic jam.

Edited by Longhorn Al

11 hours ago, Longhorn Al said:

Personally, I don't bother with fiber.  If you're constipated, adding fiber will mess you up.  It just adds bulk to something that won't pass.  I heard it described once like adding more cars to a highway when there's a traffic jam.

Just my uneducated opinion but I think the lower GI needs fiber/bulk. I had a foot or so of my colon removed last year, Doc said it looked like a piece of cholla wood. I asked what led to the disease condition and she said it varied by individual but diet and hydration probably played some role. I'd been drinking like a fish and not eating well for the better part of 15 years. Once they took the rotted gut out of me I started eating right - meaning lots of vegetables - and I started to take massive healthy shits.

Once I started on keto my shits went to shit. Watery shits. Tiny shits. Fatty shits. I don't know how good keto is for long term gut health. Yeah, it can be a good way to lose weight but I'm still not convinced that it's a healthy lifestyle.

Eat a ton of vegetables kids, don't end up in the ER with a dilapidated gut.

12 hours ago, Longhorn Al said:

I think the point is to have enough dietary fiber to avoid being constipated in the first place. 

• Like 1